Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

AlienTIKI Traditional, Midcentury Polypop and a couple marqs

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 268 replies

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 31, 2007 3:52 AM

Time is short man, the delivery date is looming....

You must have more pics for us? These look great, what are the other subjects?

-G

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jun 14, 2007 9:00 PM

Alien,

How goes it on the set of eight? You must be almost done, yes? Let us see!! Please?

-G

ooooh man, looks great! really like the eyes and nose....well i just like it all.
cant wait for more!

B

Looking Great AT, Lots o' sanding left to be done Slacker, get to it! :)
That Mango wood finishes up very nicely.

Sorry I did not post sooner. I've had some computer issues and may not be able to post for a few weeks.

Well the eight proved to be too lofty a goal and I only got half way there.

So here's the 4 mango tiki's that this slacker actually completed.

Unfortunatley these blurry image are all I have to share now.

Club/portable tiki?

Mahalos for all the encuragement you guys.
I'll post some new stuff as soon as can.

Aloha and mahalos for looking!!

B

Fantastic !

Superb! Every one. Love the Godstick. You've really got these guys down. - pity the full eight never happened; or are they still on their way..?

Tama :)

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2007-06-27 04:58 ]

B

Blurry pictures or not, these guys are Awesome. Really tight, clean detail from that nasty old Mango wood. I used to love carving it for large pieces but tiny was always a challenge. You seemed to have met that challenge Head On. I'm with Tama in that it's a pity the "8" didn't happen, Yet?
Be Proud

Aloha Alientiki! Very nice Ku carving my friend, thanks for sharing, Aloha , Mooney

Thanks Benella, Tamapoutini, Benzart and MooneyTiki for the kind words and encuragement. I will create 4 more, at least of that I'm certain.

But I'm afraid this ship has set sail. The wedding has happened and I threw in a few older tikis I had laying around and purchased one from a local carver to make up the remainder of the eight. But I've got new stuff in the works and will post them as soon as my computer issues are resolved.

Mahalos again for the kind words.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jun 28, 2007 6:13 PM

8 tikis is a pretty tall order. I think the most I've ever kept together was 4-5 for a show.
These latest guys are flat-out awesome Alien. You've really got a handle on the Hawaiian classics, the Ku in particular. I hope you get your tech problems sorted soon so we can see what you've got lined up next.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 3, 2007 1:10 PM

Alien,

Ooops! After begging for an update and you posting one - somehow I missed it. Eeek, my bad! So you didn't make the full order, but hey, the ones you did get done are fantastic. Man I love your stuff and thoroughly enjoy your Brady piece here. Are these big guys gone now or did you have to eat them since you didn't fill the quota? If you still have them it is a good thing - as they sure would be nice to have around. Very SVEET!

A

Well after my technical difficulty's with my computer(ever try to surf the net with a PSP). I hyper extended and broke my elbow playing jiu-jitsu. Making it tough to carve. 2 months later, elbow is heeling and I've just started to carve again.

This one I started first kind of a therapy piece as the wood is dry and soft.

This is an "in progress" Lono of mango. It didn't make the deadline and I just picked him back up recently.

Here's a better pick of one of the mango peices that did make the deadline.

Mahalos for lurking,
Aloha
E

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2007-10-02 15:32 ]

B

beautiful and pretty neat work.

Mahalo,

Ben

Thanks Ben. You are too kind.
You have inspired me to go to the office and carve, right now.

Aloha
Eric

Those guys were patiently waiting for their master to come back and finish them!
Welcome back! Those guys are looking great!

A

Thanks surfintiki. He looks like he may be kin to your tiki with the surfboard.

Some progress today on the Koa Kavakave Moai.

More sanding and finish than trephination for cordage coming soon.

Mahalos for lurking.

A

In progress, Tangaroa carved in koa.

For scale.

Needs more sanding and some coats of finish.

cool tang man!

Wow that's small...the tiki that is.
Where'd ya get the Koa from?

A

Thanks for the compliment tikifreak1

On 2007-10-07 05:48, surfintiki wrote:
Wow that's small...the tiki that is.
Where'd ya get the Koa from?

Yeah he's a small tiki with some big mana.

the Koa came from a friend of mine in construction biz. He was demolishing a old house on the north shore. He called me to tell me the whole kitchen was solid Koa and the owners wanted it all tossed in the rubbish(more money than sense). I loaded my truck up with a lot of molding and cabinets. Unfortunately some of the wood was stolen from my truck while it sat at another job site.

T

Alien - really nice work. they have lots of character; especially love the mango pieces. so how well does mango carve? they sure made nice pieces.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 8, 2007 5:27 AM

Hey, long time no see? I'm glad you have a few pieces going. Love the mango-guys. That wee-Tang is almost Tama small! Yikes!

-G

Mahalos bigT! The mango is not as hard as monkey pod or African purple heart. If you've carved either of them. The closest wood in grain is some maple I've carved. Harder than pine not as hard as ash.
Hope that helped.

Aloha Gman. Well he is small but I'm afraid Tama has got me beat. Here he is almost all sanded.

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2007-10-09 00:19 ]

B

Excellent tangaroa there alientiki, though it looks like he has trouble walking with that thirg log, I mean Leg. Cute butt too.

B

Superb piece. What kind of wood?

ben

S

Alien - Dude you got it going on great stuff.

Looks like he's taking a whiz on the Father of my country. That's not cool!

The tiki is cool, though. Nice job.

On 2007-10-09 00:18, AlienTiki wrote:
Aloha Gman. Well he is small but I'm afraid Tama has got me beat...

Hey, size (or lack of) isnt everything! :lol: In terms of Tanginess you win hands down. My little guy is positively abstract compared to the natural/traditional result you have achieved. I truly envy those of you who seem to tackle 3-D so effortlessly. Good on you for giving him a big ol' whanger too! Respect.

Tama :)

Mahalos Benzart, He must not have had too much trouble because he seemed to have walked away from my mug shelf where he was sitting. My six year old son got a laugh out of it. He calls it "naked tiki".

Ben, merci! The wood is Koa.

Mahalos Seeksurf, I'm glad you like em.

Pappy, If that's the worst thing you've seem done to American currency then you should stay out of strip joints because they do some nasty stuff to the father of my country in there. It's just harmless little statue sitting on the edge of a quarter. Thanks for the comps though, I guess.

Tama, Mahalo for the comps. Yes your tang is quite abstract, but you captured all the important lines and I like yours better, it has a modern look.

I'm working on a bunch of stuff now and I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

I started this a while back and he's been sitting around with little more than marker lines on him. Last week I heard him calling me to release him from the wood.

Here's a sneak peak of the Hunter cannibal tiki.

Mahalos for looking.

my blog

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2007-10-23 12:46 ]

B

Continue listening to him ! Super work.

[ Edited by: benella 2007-10-24 08:12 ]

S

Yes, release him! To me, he looks like he is guilty and
he knows it. He looks great already.

Mahalos Benella and Seeksurf. I appreciate the kind words.

Todays progress yielded 2 slices to my left hand and an important lesson was learned.
I usually am like a boy scout and I be repaired to deal with any thing. But today I found myself without the basic first aid necessities:
A) Cocktail fixens
B) Super Glue
C) Bandages

Now in all fairness, I had the Cocktail Fixens. The super glue was MIA and probably dried up as it's been a while since I cut my self. Damn cannibals always bite me! I carved 4 Hawaiian pieces with out a scratch.

I'll post the finished Hunter soon.

Mahalos for looking.

A

One of the office.

This hunter cannibal is about done.

Mahalos for looking

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Nov 6, 2007 2:55 PM

Hut Hut Hut, Hike Sweet

I really like him. I've been doing alot of cannibal themed pieces lately and this one is very cool. Way to go.

Those cannibals look GREAT! Hungry fellas.

A

Mahalos Teakey ,Alohastation and Surf I appreciate the kind wordage.

Here's a new Marq Plank. Teak board with one coat of natural finish.

Mahalos for lurking.

C

Highest regards from the northwoods jungle. The cannibal is very nice and I really dig the
Marq plank. I like the extra marqs under the arms, very cool design and execution.

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Nov 8, 2007 4:23 PM

Dude, you are back. Did you ever say where you were for so long.

S

Very Nice, Love the Ying Yang thing going on. Nice work there.
How many coats do you put on? I have overheard Benz say 7?

K
KAHAKA posted on Thu, Nov 8, 2007 6:01 PM

Wow, that really rules. A lot. Nice work!

Awesome! The cannibal is great too. I love the little feet sticking out of the back.

Craig

B

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW !

I'm very impressed. I love marqs and this one is simply amazing.

Hat's off.

Benjamin.

Mahalo congatiki, Teakey,Seeksurf,KAHAKA,tikifreak1,and Benella.

Teakey, I broke/hyper extended my elbow playing jiu-jitsu and could not carve for a couple of months. Aside from that I realy haven't left.

Seeksurf I'll only put 3 coats max.

I have some Larger stuff I'm working on today. I'll post more pictures soon.

Aloha and many mahalos for the kind words.

The marquesan plank looks really great. I think i might try something like that.

B

Woah, I LOVE the S88t-eating grin on that hunter cannibal, he looks as he is enjoying prepping this meal SO MUCH. Really Nice. The Marq-Plank is really nice too, Love the details and finish.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 268 replies