Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

AlienTIKI Traditional, Midcentury Polypop and a couple marqs

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 268 replies

Wow...that sure looks familiar..

On 2007-11-10 18:07, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Wow...that sure looks familiar..

It should, I think you copied the same ones I did. On the wall at IMP in Honolulu . Have you ever been there? It used to be real neat-o. Mahalos for the comments.

Mahalo tikidream. By all means Marqs are fun, Carve them! Just please make sure and post pictures.

Thanks Benzart for the kind wordage, The cannibal does have an evil grin.

Dem be the ones.. I did two of a different style..one in a private collection in Atlanta now and one that hangs in the Aku Tiki Room in Kewanee, Illinois. I like the concept. If you look at old Marquesan tortoiseshell headdress images they took this to crazy heights..

New stuff in progress

And last coat applied to this one. Booty shot!

Mahalo for looking.

B

Did I see the feet of the eaten guy on the booty view ? :o Amazing.

Benjamin.

Great carving, looks a bit like some prison sex is happening tho...
:D

H

Aloha, I realy like the first pic with the marquesan tiki. Great face!

Mahalo Bejamin. It was fun to carve the feet sticking out.

On 2007-11-19 00:27, Sneakytiki wrote:
Great carving, looks a bit like some prison sex is happening tho...
:D

Sneaky Thanks. Here's what the tiki was based on.

I always like to leave the interpretation of art up to the viewer. If it reminds **you ** of prison sex , well hey different strokes I guess. Thanks for the comment.:D

Mahalo Haikai. That one is in progress. I'm going to go and finish it today. I'll show some more pictures soon.

H

some really really great work over the past few pages here Alien. great stuff.

Was the last pic of the kava the finished product?

I saw the finished pics of the Tang before i saw the scale pic with the coin - unbelievable!! I thought it was about a foot high!

cheers,
harro.

S

Great stuff Alien you gotta love the little feet in the back.
Brilliant

Mahalo Harro, The Kava is not yet finished. I'll post the finished pictures of him soon. I'm still looking for the right puka shells to put in his eyes.

Thanks seeksurf, I'm glad you like the feet.

Earpod wood with the first coat of stain.

B

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

He's terribly natural and wise ! Superb work.

Ben.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 27, 2007 6:41 PM

Hey Mang,

I love the "Prison Sex" cannibal. That's the shitz! You've been building some monster carvings lately, thanks....we need them here. This last fellow is real tight! Love the color choice and style extras.

J

Can you show some details of the tat work?

S

Very nice, That sucker looks like he could be a thousand years
old. Love the little curve on the backside of the eyes.

Thanks Benjamin! I'm going for a natural look so thanks for noticing.:)

GMAN, Mahalos Mang.. you say prison sex and this is what comes to mind. Not their best work, comical nonetheless.

Aloha JohnnyP, no sun today, so sorry no pics. I have more stain to apply and I'll post some tattoo closeups.

Mahalo Seeksurf, I have to put on a few more coats of stain, I hope I can keep it looking old.

Thanks everyone for looking.

B

Excellent stuff here AlienTiki, Love the extra added Details with the Teeth, eyes and hair/headdress. Oh yeah the Tatt too too. I Also love the cannibal as it is very realistic and expressive. We Know you are an Excellent carver and it's works like these that justify our thoughts about it.

B

Man, those little feet popping out the back is a smokin hot addition to this one cannibal! Fresh look - cutting edge!

clap-clap-clap-clap.

K

I second what everyone else has said. Awesome stuff!!!!!

Big Mahalos for all the kind words Benzart, babalu and KAHAKA. It fuels my creativity sometimes.

Here's some close ups of the tattoos for JohnnyP.
The person who commissioned this Tiki is a surfer, a real waterman. This guy is always at the beach if the sun is shinning. Hell, he surfs on rainy days too. So I thought I'd put a turtle and a surfer on his Tiki.

Still shinny. One more coat and then I'm gonna do some antiquing on it. The little holes are from the bugs that spelled the demise of this giant earpod tree. Lucky for me they vacated the wood before I carved it.

Mahalo for looking.

S

Alientiki - Sweet tattoos! you have my attention when
you combine surf & tiki. This customer gentlemen
is going to melt. You have some very impressive carves going
on Aleintiki.

Mahalo Seeksurf.

Here is Lono carved from mango. He's about 18 inches tall and without finish.

Mahalo for looking.

my blog

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2008-03-16 18:30 ]

Very cool Alien, I like this guy a lot!!

T

Sweet Tiki, spin-it so we can see more of it!!!

Mahalos tikifreak1 and Tahitiki.
This Lono was carved from a half round peice of mango the back is flat. I don't have many pictures and this guy is already on his way to his new home at a hotrod shop in Californ-eye-ay.

Here in this earlier progress pic you can see the side better.

Mahalos for looking.

my blog

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2008-03-17 01:36 ]

Nice work there Alientiki, and lots of cool stuff on your blog spot too.
Keep showing your goodies.

S

He looks fantastic! Long time no here.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 17, 2008 5:14 PM

Sweet stuff Alien. How come you bean gone so long? This guy is great. I see a lot of the moves you used on my pendant in there. Classic stuff. You've really got these guys nailed. Must be something in the water.....

-G$

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-03-17 17:26 ]

B

Alien, I really Love your Retro/traditional look you gave this Lono and the Depth mof detail is Excellent. Lucky surfer dude who gets this!
I've carved Mango before and it's a Sweet carving wood and Beautiful too, I'd love to see him with a finish applied.

A

On 2008-03-17 17:14, GMAN wrote:
Sweet stuff Alien. How come you bean gone so long?

Sorry Gman I should have answered you a long time ago. I still lurk here but I don't much post original work anymore. I didn't like to see people copying me when I do this for a living. I now realize that it can't be avoided and it's just a messy part of the business that I have to deal with or get out of the business. So I'm gonna start posting work again.

On 2008-03-17 17:20, Benzart wrote:
I'd love to see him with a finish applied.

Sorry Ben, I wish I had more pic's. The buyer had to get on a plane and he took the item before I could snap more pic's.

Tang carved of earpod. Still needs some more tattoos. This earpod is a two tone wood with a dark heart. The white meat has some worming holes.

Thanks for Looking.

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2008-08-06 19:11 ]

On 2008-08-05 13:41, AlienTiki wrote:

..So I'm gonna start posting work again..

Glad to hear it Alien! Youre not alone in facing that particular dilemma; having good, original ideas pinched by others is a very real risk that we face in showing/selling online, but then keeping yourself/your work hidden from the adoring masses does no favours either.
This threat can be used to ones advantage however by making a pact with yourself to work even harder at creating the best, most exciting and original work possible. The way I look at it, even if someone is making a concerted effort to copy your work theyre always going to be one step behind if you keep moving fast enough..

*Besides which, havent you seen the support that the Ohana gives to those artists whose work has been blatently plagurised? Copy-cats soon come begging for forgiveness & promising to change their wicked ways.. :wink:

Looking forward to seeing your updates!

A

Thanks Tama. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I'll be posting some new carvings real soon.

B

Ditto what Tama said. It is more important to share your work than to hide it away fearing the copy-cats. And like you said, it's gonna happen anyway. You're getting so tight with your detail it makes it more difficult to copy. Really Happy to hear you say you'll be posting your work again Thank You.

Great job on the tang, Alien!!! Glad you're posting again!

B

WOW Alien, this Tang is fantastic, it's a while since you posted... But waiting for such a masterpiece is a real pleasure.

Benjamin.

S

Kick ass Tang Alien fine carve.

B

might as well show'em on this page too. Nice stuff Alien

C

On 2008-03-17 01:35, AlienTiki wrote:

Mahalos for looking.

my blog

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2008-03-17 01:36 ]

Oh Wow!
let's show this one too then :)!
Great work!!

Wow Thanks Benz, What can I say? you are too kind.

Mahalos tikifreak1. I'm glad you like the tang. Thanks

benella I appreciate the compliments. I don't know about masterpiece I just call it a piece.:)

seeksurf, Mahalo brada, he was fun to carve.

Clarita, thanks for bringing that picture back up. I miss that little fella now he's gone.

Mahalo to everyone for looking.

A

Some old stuff in progress

Mango

Coco palm

Mahalo

Splendid work!

Classic Tang!

Everything is spot on and well thought out!

S

Very tight Lono love this guy!

Mahalo Lake Surfer, I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the kind words Seeksurf.
This stuff is my favorite. When I'm not carving Hawaiian sculpture I like to carve Marquesas Tikis.
New Marquesan style in progress.

my blog

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2008-10-28 10:34 ]

That guy is looking so sweet, I'm liking everything about it!

B

WELCOME Back and what a great way to say it! his one looks great. Really nice to see more tikis from you!

B

WOW dude, this piece will be a great one for sure.
Is that the same wood that you used for the tangaroa ?

Benjamin.

Sweetness! some great line screaming at us already.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Nov 10, 2008 10:53 PM

Good stuff. GROG like.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 268 replies