Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hawaiian Spam recipes?

Pages: 1 36 replies

C

I have read somewhere that Hawaii has the highest per capita
consumption of Spam in the world. (I mean the pink meaty stuff, not the annoying digital stuff).
Does anyone know any good Hawaiian Spam recipes?

CHRIS

D

Is there such a thing as a "good" spam recipe?

Give this one a try... It's always a crowd pleaser!

SPAM MUSUBI

1 can Spam cut into 10 slices
3 1/2 cup steamed rice
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tsp. rice vinegar
5 sheets sushi nori (seaweed)
Furikake Nori

Fry Spam until light brown and remove from pan.
Heat sugar, shoyu and rice vinegar until sugar is dissolved then return Spam to pan, cooking for 1 minute.

Using Musubi mold: (You can also use the Spam can to mold the rice so it's the same size as the Spam.)
Place nori on flat surface and center mold on top of nori
Place rice in mold and press down (rice should be 1/2" thick)
Sprinkle Furikake Nori over rice
Place seasoned Spam on rice
Add another 1/2" of rice on top of Spam and press down
Lift mold off then wrap nori around the rice
Turn musubi over placing on fold allowing the nori to seal
Slice & Enjoy!

Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2005-07-11 08:30 ]

ewwww....

just ewwww....

And here's a recipe for SPAM Cupcakes that DawnTiki posted a while back.
(maybe not Hawaiian, but how can you not love SPAM cupcakes?)

[ Edited by: UtopianDreem 2005-07-11 21:50 ]

Ummmmm...... SPAM...... Either ya love it or hate it.

I believe that Hawaii and Alaska hold records for the most SPAM eaten.

Try a real Hawaiian breakfast! The Loco Moco!

Start off with a bed of white rice.
Top with fried SPAM (cubed, sticks or slabs...hamburger patty can be used instead of SPAM...but why?)
Top SPAM with one or two eggs over easy
Pour brown gravy over the top.

Primo grinds. Don't knock it until you tried it.

I think American Samoa has a higher Per Capita consumption of Spam, but Hawaii has a higher Total consumption.

As for recipies, I usually just fry it up 'til it's getting browned & a little crispy, then brush it with some nice Teri sauce & cook for about a minute a side to finish. I like to serve this with King's Hawaiian Bread French Toast.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2005-07-12 12:57 ]

Spam musubi has always been a crowd favorite at all of my tiki and backyard gatherings. I use variations on Tiki Royale's recipe.. mine are far less traditional but crowd pleasing. Instead of frying the Spam in sugar, soy, and rice vinegar mixture, I use bottled sauces from the local market. Of those I have tried, the sauces made by Iron Chef are the favorite. The General Tso and the Orange Ginger glaze work well.

After I fry the Spam using the sauce as flavoring, I add a small amount of the same sauce to the rice as I am molding it. This gives the rice some flavor as well as the salty & sweet flavor of the Spam.

Kids even like this stuff too!!

Have a try.

i had a roomate from Guam who made a pretty good SPAM fry with i think rice adobo. i had no complaints.

SPAM is definately one of my favorite foods! I just love to fry it crispy and eat it on bread with mustard. mmmmmmm.

I will try that musubi recipe. My step son is Japanese and so we eat a lot of things like that. Sounds yummy!

W

I occasionally like SPAM in a stir fry of SPAM, red onions, and pineapple chunks served on rice. I came up with this myself then later saw it on a TV show being made in a Hawaiian "local kine" diner, so I guess one doesn't have to be secretive about the dish.

For a big Tiki party a few years back I made skewers of SPAM, red onion, and pineapple chunks. My sister and friends who helped grill food all went "Oooh-!" when the saw the tray of "raw" skewers. But the grilled skewers were the first food gone. The same sister just brought up the skewers the other day to some friends and the response was the same as it always is when one a dish with SPAM is described as good..."SPAM?! Really? SPAM?!" Maybe Hormel should use that as a marketing line..."Yes, SPAM. Really."

S

Isn't it time to start considering some" SPAM for the holidays"recipes?

Sorry Sabu :D

:lol: Sabu's Spicy Coconut SPAM Skewers :lol:

1/2 cup apricot jam
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/4 heaping teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 can Spam, cut into cubes
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
wooden skewers

Combine all ingredients, except Spam and coconut (and skewers of course), in a saucepan and heat while stirring until boiling. Reduce heat to medium/low and allow marinade to reduce somewhat, (about 15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Put Spam chunks in a pan and pour most of the marinade on top, saving a small portion in a container for later. Make sure all sides of the Spam is coated with the marinade and let pan sit in a refrigerator at least 2 hours.

Toast the coconut on a baking sheet or shallow pan in a 350-degree oven, turning the coconut with a spatula periodically so that it is a light brown. (dark brown works too, so don't worry if it's overdone).

Place the Spam chunks on the skewers and grill until browned, brushing with the marinade in the pan. Remove from the grill and brush with the reserved marinade you had set-aside at the beginning. Roll in toasted coconut and serve on Ti Leaf. Makes 12 skewers.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

KALUA SPAM

1 can SPAM
ti leaves
aluminum foil

Built a charcoal fire in the sand. Wrap SPAM in ti leaves, then in foil. Place in glowing coals.

SATO-SHOYU SPAM

Bring 1/4 cup Shoyu (soy sauce), 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup marin (sweet rice wine), and 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger to a boil in a saucepan. Add 1 can of SPAM cut into cubes, lower heat to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes. Makes a good pupu, insert toothpicks into the cubes before serving.

SPAM WONTONS

1 can SPAM, grated :o or finely minced
1/2 cup water chestnuts, chopped
2 stalks green onion sliced
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 egg
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp sugar
1 package wonton wrappers
oil for frying

Mix all ingrediaents except wrappers and oil. Place a generous teaspoon of the mixture on each wrapper and seal edges. Deep fry in oil heated to 350 degrees until golden brown, drain on paper towels. Serve with Mustard-Shoyu Sauce (below)

Mustard-Shoyu Sauce
1 tbsp dry mustard
1 tbsp cold water
2-3 tbsp shoyu (soy sauce)
Mix all ingredients together until smooth.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, I haven't actually tried any of those recipes - just passing them on!

S

SPAM SLIDERS

This is a very simple one. Grill or fry spam, serve on hawaiian roll (no condiments are really needed, but ALOHA Hawaiian teriyaki sauce is good)
I have my grandkids convinced that these are "Crabby Patties" as in Sponge Bob.

I wanted for make some small Spam Musubi Bites and saw some round ones floating around the internet. I'm not a big fan of Nori (is it true that fish use it as toilet paper?) and this have just a little nori on them - bonus! The brass ring in the back is my musubi press, cut from a piece of 1 1/4 inch plumbing pipe :D

B

Spam is my favorite,Lots of recipe in spam I want to try it all, I only know in cooking in spam is I mixed it with egg and then fried it. :)

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - speaking of spam...spam link removed. - 2011-07-28 22:21 ]

G

Dang, I bet missing user 65958 will never post those recipes.

gabbahey

Spam Shake:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Parsley; chopped
1 tsp Catsup
1 dash Salt and pepper
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 cans of Beer (12 oz cans)
1/4 cup Scallions; chopped
1 can Spam
1 tsp Tabasco
1 can Anchovies
4 oz Tomato juice

Yields 4 Spam Shakes
Calories Per Serving: 13

Preparation:
Put everything into a blender and blend until smooth. Serve chilled with a celery rib.

Free Bonus Advice:
For any of you 2011 Tiki Oasis room crawl hosts; In keeping with the 2011 "South of the Border" Tiki theme, just add some Tequila to the above recipe and this becomes the perfect drink to serve your guests!

No luau is complete without an homage to Spam and I was too lazy to make Musubi for 60 people so I give you -

Char Sui Spam - Char Sui is the red pork they serve at Chinese restraurants. I cut a couple of cans of Spam into small cubes and marinated it a couple of days in Hoisin sause and garlic. Then I pan fried it nice and crisp, pretty tasty. I don't know if I would eat a plateful but it will be perfect as a seasoning meat in Stir Fried Rice. Much more tender than Char Siu Pork and probably healthier without all that FD&C Red Food Dye #4

We could cross threads and try a rumaki-style Spam skewer. Marinated Spam and a water chestnut wrapped in bacon. It could be so wrong it jumps the lane into just right. Or . . . it could just be so wrong. Sadly, it's in my head now and I'm going to have to find out. If I don't survive to tell the tale, remember me kindly, T.C.

Guam is also trying to give Hawaii a run for its money in Spam consumption but seeing as how lots of our Spam here has little flowers and the word 'Hawaii'on the can I'm going to assume Hawaii is still winning. I do believe Spam is the official meat byproduct of Guam(R), but don't quote me on that.

Hawaii, Alaska, Arkansas, Texas, and Alabama rate the highest in spam consumption respectively.

Tiki hotbeds, all.

isn't spam less "tiki," but more Viking?

Perfect recipie! I'm so craving spam musubi right now! I'm gonna go to the Foodland and get one!
Happy Day,
Mango girl

These are about as authentic as you get for Hawaiian style Spam recipes. There are tons of variations you can experiment with as well.

Onolicious Spam Fried Rice

4 cups cold, cooked white rice
1/2 can Spam, diced
1/4 cup chopped scallion (green onion)
1/4 cup diced red onion
3 eggs
2tbsp. shoyu (soy sauce, preferably Aloha Shoyu or a low sodium Kikkoman if you must)
2tbsp. Oyster flavored sauce (found in the Asian food aisle)
1tbsp. Tabasco
2tbsp. toasted sesame seed
Fresh ground pepper to taste
2tbsp. peanut, coconut or cottonseed oil

-Heat your wok or largest frying pan on medium high heat and add the oil, thoroughly coating the pan, quickly stir fry the spam until it's nicely carmelized about 2 to 3 mins., add the scallion and onions and stir fry about a minute, break up the cold rice and add to the pan and continue stir frying (if the rice sticks to the pan, you can add a TINY splash of chicken stock to loosen it (too much will make the rice soggy), spread out the rice to expose an open area in the middle of the pan and add the eggs, scramble the egg in the pan or wok and fold it into the fried rice mixture. add the shoyu, oyster sauce and Tabasco (and black pepper to taste) and stir fry until heated through. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, additional scallions and serve hot with your favorite protein.

Spam Loco Moco

Two thick slices of Spam
Two eggs
Steamed white rice
Brown gravy

This is a simple recipe but if anyone wants a good, brown gravy recipe I can post that as well.

Pan fry two slices of Spam until crispy, cook the eggs any style you like (most people back home prefer this recipe sunny side up or over easy), place the Spam on the steamed rice, top with the fried eggs and smother the whole thing with brown gravy. Typically this is served with macaroni salad for an extra cholesterol, fat and carb overload. Add Tabasco to taste if you like. Not the healthiest of dishes but friggin' awesome.

Saimin (Ramen)

Hawaiian style ramen noodles/Saimin (if unavailable, shrimp flavored Top Ramen is an acceptable substitute)
2 cups water
1oz. Spam cut into thin strips
1/2 oz. sliced kamaboko (Japanese fish cake, available in most Asian supermarkets)
2 tbsp. chopped scallion
1/2 ounce bean sprouts
1 sheet of nori (dried seaweed)
1 egg
Furikake (a nori, sea salt and sesame garnish found in the Japanese section of most Asian supermarkets)
Hot chili oil (optional)

Bring water to a rapid boil and add the broth packet, spam, sprouts and scallion, then add the noodles (if using fresh saimin noodles, immediately crack and add the egg to the side of the sauce pan, to poach it at the same time, otherwise add it after the first minute of cooking the dried ramen), cook the noodles for a total of three minutes for dried and 90 seconds to two minutes for fresh noodles until al dente adding the kamaboko and nori during the last 30 seconds of cooking. Pour it all into a large bowl and garnish with Furikake (or toasted sesame seeds), additional scallions and top with chili oil if desired.

~~Larry

[ Edited by: Bender_Rodriguez 2011-12-22 07:48 ]

Welcome to TC Bender. Living in AZ, you may be near the Mexican border like I am. Here, "Loco Moco" would mean "Crazy Booger" - does it have a different meaning in Hawaii?

Thanks for the welcome Mike. In Hawaii it was just basically a name people came up with and the loco part makes sense since it is kind of a crazy dish. I don't know the actual origin behind the name but I think it was just a catchy name that rhymed. I always thought growing up that it was a reference to "mokes" which in Hawaii is a bit of a derogatory name for a big, beefy local guy with a short fuse who's always willing to throw down (obviously you wouldn't want to refer to someone as a moke to their face). I just always assumed it was adapted from there since it seems like something a crazy (loco) moke would eat, lol. Loco mocos however are typically made with a hamburger steak, fried egg, rice and gravy, but the Spam version is a popular variation on it.

On 2011-12-22 16:04, MadDogMike wrote:
Welcome to TC Bender. Living in AZ, you may be near the Mexican border like I am. Here, "Loco Moco" would mean "Crazy Booger" - does it have a different meaning in Hawaii?

I really, really wish I could blame this all on MadDog Mike. There’s a guy who loves his Spam. Based on his posts, I’d say there’s a guy who loves his dead pig, period. Somehow, his excitement was contagious over the miles, infecting a brain in the Wastelands with the need, or dare I say compulsion, to cook Spam.

I’d just finished working out a nice rumaki when I stumbled across the dang Spam thread and it happened: the idea of preparing Spam in the style of rumaki got into my head and has haunted me for weeks. I’m confident I can make it work if I ever have to and that should be enough. Why wouldn’t that be enough?

It isn’t enough. I have to know. The other day, the urge grew too strong: I bought the Spam.

Typically, I’m pretty literal about food definitions, so to really be rumaki, bacon should be wrapped around marinated chicken or maybe duck liver and a water chestnut. Anything else is simply bacon-wrapped anything-else. I’ll allow Spam because, like the bird livers, it needs some work to make it desirable, but I’ll still waffle a bit and call it rumaki-style Spam (Spam en Brochette a la mode du Rumaki?) just to keep what conscience I have left clean . . . clean-ish, anyway.

I started with something like my normal Rumaki recipe, only with Spam. . .

1 can of Spam, cut into 1 inch cubes
4 oz can water chestnuts, drained
12 slices bacon, halved crosswise
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin
1 tsp sri racha
1 crushed garlic clove
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped

. . . all of which is real nice, but I threw in 1 chopped jalapeno, an ounce or so of hoisin and the last of my Healthy Boy brand sweet soy with a drizzle of yuzu juice. That’s right, I used yuzu on Spam. Do you hear that whirring sound? It’s very sincere Pacific Rim food snobs spinning in their metaphorical graves. I may have splashed a dab of fish sauce into the pungent hell-brew, as well. After a 36-hour marination, I wrapped them up and took them to the grill.

Do you hear an increase in the whirring? That’s my culinary school instructors joining the Pacific Rim food snobs in their figurative casket pirouettes. This stuff is absolutely, perhaps even freakin’, delicious. I did these on a standard issue gas grill and had to stay alert in case of flare-ups, but other than that, easy sailing. They’re much easier to handle than the livers and don’t have the bitterness associated with innards; in terms of texture and richness, however, they are quite similar. Like real rumaki, two or three is plenty. I serve them with straight sri racha, because subtlety at this stage of the game seems a bit pointless.

So, MDM, if you’re out there--and you are out there, although possibly wishing to disassociate yourself from the entire project--this one’s for you. It is tasty, vaguely Asian, completely inauthentic, wrapped in bacon, doesn’t have any nori involved, and looks nice on a plate. You can’t beat it with a log of centrifuged pork product.

[ Edited by: Professor G 2012-01-07 13:23 ]

[ Edited by: Professor G 2012-01-07 13:24 ]

Prof G, I like you - you've got imagination, mad cooking skilz, and you write an entertaining story. What a beautiful presentation - one would never suspect it is made with "centrifuged pork product" :lol: I am proud to have my name associated with your invention! I may have to try it out next chance I get (Mojave Oasis?) I like to serve foods that make people skeptical when they hear about them but win them over with the taste :D

Glad you like it, Mike. It turned out really, really tasty. I fed some to my cooks before the dinner shift and they dug them. One of them referred to the dish as faux-maki, which I like. I almost mentioned how good a dish this would be for a guy in a teardrop trailer: every ingredient holds at ice-chest temperature (what we in the Wastelands call "rodeo cool") or room temp, but I figured I'd gone on long enough.

As I often mention, I read your progress posts, as well as Wendy C.'s, ZeroStreet's and a few others, instead of watching television these days: the characters are more likeable and I learn stuff.

T

I had speculated in another thread that Spam Rangoon would be a worthy challenge for the protagonists of this thread. However, I found that it has been tried before, and actually was a winning recipe in the Great American SPAM Championship, according to this online article from MyFoX8.com dated October 14, 2011...

Not Hawaiian, but certainly a derivative of the old Trader's legacy.

-Tom

Pages: 1 36 replies