Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Famous Foods from Famous Places

Pages: 1 20 replies

D

Found this book from Better Homes and Gardens last week at goodwill for a buck. Cool pics and recipes from Trader Vic's, Kona Inn,& Coco Palms.It's from 1964. I wish I knew how to download the pages but recipes from Baked Bananas, Island Spareribs, Luau Punch, Kona chicken in a coconut, Double fruit glazed pork chops, Papaya Kahemhameha, Coconut hot cakes with Kauaiian sausage, and many more. It only had a 2-3 page spread on each due to it had many other recipes from other places. Man I'm hungry all of a sudden.

D

P.S. Anyone ever thought of sharing recipes here or someone starting a cookbook and selling it. I know I would love to try any cool recipes anyone's willing to share here for luau parties and such.

T

I also collect vintage cookbooks, and have a lot of "Hawaiian" or "Polynesian" recipes, if you want to share... of course typing them all out would be an epic task, but if anyone has any requests for a certain type of dish I will look it up and post it.

S

On 2002-11-02 07:09, divychic wrote:
Kona chicken in a coconut, Double fruit glazed pork chops

Now, these two dishes sound good. Is the chicken actually in the coconut?

On 2002-11-02 07:09, divychic wrote:
I wish I knew how to download the pages...

Download them from where? I'd like to check them out if they are available on-line. Or do you mean upload them to somewhere? Are you looking for a place to make them available? What fruit is called for in the pork chop glaze?

Well, happy cooking!

C

Just let me know anything you want to know how to make...I worked in restaurants in Maui for years and even owned my own catering business there. I'd be glad to help out! Grey

T

I have this insane cookbook published by Campbell's, called "Great Restaurants" that tells you how to recreate the best dishes of famous restaurants.. using Campbell's SOup!

There's some recipes from the Kon-Tiki and Trader Vic's... Thankfully not using cream of mushroom, just cans of Campbells chicken broth.

Another great book I have is "YOU CAN GIVE HAWAIIAN PARTIES". Pineapple upside-down ham loaf, anyone?

In 1967, Jo Byars (wife of Trader Franks) wrote and illustrated a 33-page cookbook called Trader Frank's Exotic Menu Recipes. It's loaded with recipes for simple 'Polynesian-style' food; stuff that would make fun, funky, and inexpensive party dishes. When you factor in Jo's artwork (tikis, wahines, flowers, etc.), it's a must-have tiki classic. Recipes include Steak Teriyaki, Shrimp Tempura, and two of my favorites: the Tiki Sandwhich (a regular ham sandwhich!), and the Fire Dog (a hot-dog sliced on one side and then cooked so that it curls into a circle; serve on a hamburger bun). Check it out on our website; we still have a few new-old-stock cookbooks for sale.

Lono
http://user.gru.net/cateye/ape.html

On 2002-11-03 19:37, traderfranks wrote:
In 1967, Jo Byars (wife of Trader Franks) wrote and illustrated a 33-page cookbook called Trader Frank's Exotic Menu Recipes. It's loaded with recipes for simple 'Polynesian-style' food; stuff that would make fun, funky, and inexpensive party dishes. When you factor in Jo's artwork (tikis, wahines, flowers, etc.), it's a must-have tiki classic. Recipes include Steak Teriyaki, Shrimp Tempura, and two of my favorites: the Tiki Sandwhich (a regular ham sandwhich!), and the Fire Dog (a hot-dog sliced on one side and then cooked so that it curls into a circle; serve on a hamburger bun). Check it out on our website; we still have a few new-old-stock cookbooks for sale.

Lono
http://user.gru.net/cateye/ape.html

And if you'd like to see some of the recipes, you can take a gander at
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com
just click on the Trader Frank's links on the main tour page, plenty of reviews, photos, and recipes.
Tiki Gardener

D

Kona Chicken in a Coconut:
1 tsp. each chopped tomato, chopped green pepper, and chopped pinapple
2 cups Trader Vic's Susu Curry Sauce
1 cup cubed cooked chicken meat
Dash steak sauce
salt to taste
Seasoned mashed potatoes
Hollandaise Sauce

Mix tomato, pepper and pineapple well. Add remaining ingredients except potatoes and hollandaise; heat. Fill a coconut shell or 1 qt. casserole with this mixture. Decorate the sawed-off section of the husk with hot mashed potatoe squeezed through a pastry tube. Cover the curry mixture with a tablespoon or so of the hollandaise sauce. Bake in very hot over(450 degrees) for 10 to 12 minutes or till potatoes are lightly browned. Serve at the table with steamed rice. Each coconut makes 2 to 3 serving.(Recipe from Trader Vic's)

Trader Vic's Susu Curry Sauce:

In a saucepan, saute 1 tablespoon curry powder in 1 tablespoon butter or margarine till nicely browned. Stir in 1 onion, minced, 2 stalks celery, diced, 1/2 cup diced apple; mix thoroughly. Add 1/2 cup soup stock; bring mixture to boiling/ Stir in 1 cup of light cream and 1 cup milk; bring to boiling again. Blend 2 tablespoons cornstarch into 2 tablespoons cold water; add to curry mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, till mixture thickens. Season to taste with monosodium glutamate and salt. Use Susu Curry Sauce for Kona Chicken or, heat cubed chicken or sea food in the sauce and serve over fluffy rice. Makes 3 1/2 cups. (Recipe from Trader Vic's)

D

Double Fruit-Glazed Pork Chops:

6 6-8 oz double-rib pork chops
Salt
Pepper
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons dry mustard
6 whole cloves
12 whole coriander seeds, crushed

Brown chops in skillet; season with salt and pepper, then place in shallow baking pan. Combine remaining ingredients for sauce, and spoon about 3 tablespoons over each chop. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours or till done, basting now and then with rest of sauce. With toothpick, peg a slice each of orange, lemon, and lime on every chop, top with maraschino cherry; baste fruit with sauce and bake 10 minutes longer. To serve, arrange the chops on leaf-lined platter with Honeyed Bananas. Makes 6 Servings. (Recipe from Kona Inn)

Honeyed Bananas:

Peel 6 bananas; dip in lemon juice. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet; stir in 1/4 cup honey. Add bananas, cook over low heat, turning gently, until hot and glazed. Don't overcook-takes only a few minutes.(Recipe from Kona Inn)

D

Here's one from a restaurant called London Grill...neat idea I never thought of, was using a abalone shell

Crab Filled Abalone Shell:

Combine 1 cup cooked crab meat, 1 tablespoon diced celery, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Line an abalone shell with lettuce; fill with crab salad. Makes 1 serving.

T

Thought you'd all enjoy this one from my collection. It's dated 1965 & the back cover says, "An exclusive pre-release printing of the pacifica house Hawaii cook book for Richfield Oil Corporation".

Did Grandpa pick this one up at the local ARCO? (Found in his stuff when he died a few years back...)

Hostess teaching the correct way to eat Poi....

Hostess from The Reef Hotel, Waikiki Beach - many of the pics in this book are from other vintage locations, like The Tahitian Lanai & Fisherman's Wharf Restaurant, Honolulu - but few of the pics really show much of the location - mainly just the food!

Mmmmmmmm.... Pineapple Mint Iced Tea.....

Tiki-Chef!

T

I have that book too! It's pretty cool. I beleive some of the recipes from it can be found on my tikifish.com vegetarian luau page...

S

Hey, thanks for the recipes divychick!

I've already made the Kona Chicken in a Coconut. I didn't have a pastry tube so I used a freezer bag and made a mess but the dish was quite tasty. I plan to try the pork chop dish this weekend.

Thanks again!

D

Glad you could use the recipes. I would have done the freezer bag also! Here's another simple and different recipe from the Bahama Mama's cookbook.

Fresh Coconut Chips:
coconut
melted butter, or margarine
salt to taste

Crack coconut and remove meat. Slice coconut meat into thin chips and toss lightly with melted butter. Place on baking sheet and broil until golden brown. Sprinkle lightly with salt and serve warm.

My friend Yasa grew up on these in Hawaii and loves them. I can only do so much coconut. But I have tossed them in with other dehydrated fruit and it's gobble up at the bar...

On 2002-11-05 12:10, Tangaroa wrote:
Thought you'd all enjoy this one from my collection. It's dated 1965 & the back cover says, "An exclusive pre-release printing of the pacifica house Hawaii cook book for Richfield Oil Corporation".

I think I have that one also!
TG

R
Reever posted on Thu, Nov 7, 2002 9:21 AM

On 2002-11-02 07:12, divychic wrote:
P.S. Anyone ever thought of sharing recipes here or someone starting a cookbook and selling it. I know I would love to try any cool recipes anyone's willing to share here for luau parties and such.

Divy-

I'm a new Centralite, product & graphic designer, avid tikiphile and wanna-be chef. I LOVE the idea of putting together a cookbook of vintage tiki recipes... I think the time is ripe for it!

Wanna collaborate? I'd love to design it. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

-Reever

T

Reever,

I started a thread last week suggesting that we all contribute food, drink and tiki wisdom items and compile it and produce it.

Something to the effect of Trader Vic's books.

It fell of the map!

Good Luck!

T

This may just be the most spectacular example of vintage food EVER:

http://magliery.com/Graphics/WeirdFood/haw-frank.html

T
thejab posted on Fri, Nov 8, 2002 2:44 PM

Wow! That picture makes me want to scan some of my old cookbook pamphlets, like the one that's all dishes made with bananas. It has drawings of banana "people" doing all kinds of things like playing tennis, etc.

D

Gee Tikifish-I think I'll pass on that recipe. But love the pic!

Pages: 1 20 replies