Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

What do you like that most people hate?

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies

On 2005-08-13 11:06, 8FT Tiki wrote:
Yard work.

8Foot, can you cut hedges & shrubbery into cool tiki shapes like Edward Scissorhands? I'm looking for a new gardener.

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

I love that movie too MM, thanks fer reminding me!

M

Temperatures over 95 degrees.

But I second the post about crappy Disney movies. I own so many of them.

That reminds me (as I like Baron Munch too) that I even own a copy of Straight to Hell by Alex Cox.

--SBiM

I smoke weed?

Country music

...rooting for Jeff Gordon in Nascar races.
...anything burnt to a crisp on the barbecue grill.
...the smell of the pier or jetty at low tide.

... electric cars...

R

This movie is so funny, so why am I the only one laughing?

I also really like grilled peanut-butter sandwiches.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Aug 15, 2005 7:22 PM

Wahine - my girl loves Labrynth and the Never Ending Story!

John - I also love Duel.

Personally I dig rootsy blues (the music). People freak out when they hear it.

Hewey, are you talking about the old acoustic/country blues like Charlie Patten, Robert Johnson, and Son House, etc.?

I love that stuff- so gritty and emotionally urgent IMO.

The smell of film emulsion.

The 1980 version of Flash Gordon with soundtrack by Queen.

Bone marrow spread on a nice piece of bread...Mmm mmm good.

Turn Signals

--Vegemite...at least most Americans hate it...I love it!
--Jello with milk in it
--Ice cream with milk in it mixed up till the ice cream gets all icey and crunchy
--Peanut butter and bacon on toast sandwiches
--Hot dry weather
--Ouzo
--Having a very messy desk

[ Edited by: Kalikiana 2005-08-17 18:15 ]

Cottage cheese with a large amount of salsa mixed in...
Looks like puke, tastes great.

I blame my mom. She told me about it, I had to try it.

being able to cut some of my prices in 1/2 once in a while............

........and do it Myyyyyyy Wayyyyyyyyyyy!!!

fritos and cottage cheese
liverwurst
poultry livers and gizzards and hearts
pickled pigs feet
the movie "VI Warshowski" starring Kathleen Turner
Coors Light
the way Issac Mizrahi talks
John Denver
Journey

oh, and I like the smell of the Disneyland water rides too!

May the power of Tiki compel you!

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2005-08-18 00:18 ]

1. The people in France. They were all really nice when I was there.
  2. Really bad horror movies. I'm not talking bad horror movies. I'm talking really, really bad-- "Octopus 2:River of Fear". It was great, well, horrible. You know what I mean.

cleaning anything, and the movie The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. None of my friends or my wife got this movie

The smell of hot asphalt and Barry Manilow...

Not necessarily at the same time, but the combination could be heaven!!!

Pillow Talk

On 2005-08-19 10:48, Satan's Sin wrote:
Pillow Talk

I'm a big fan of all the Doris Day/Rock Hudson romantic comedies! Don't worry, I've got your back on this one! :)

B

Here you go PolyPop...

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 06:54 ]

....using my turn signals while driving

apparently everyone else hates it 'cause no one else seems to use them!

J

On 2005-08-19 10:01, inkylouise wrote:
The smell of hot asphalt and Barry Manilow...

Not necessarily at the same time, but the combination could be heaven!!!

My first thought was to ask how/why you know what Barry Manilow smells like. But then I noticed you say that the "combination could be heaven." Are you saying that it would smell nice if Barry Manilow was paved into hot asphalt with a steamroller?

Skunk smell.
The film on top of tomato soup.
Old Milwaukee beer.
Pablus

tepid water.. I don't like drinking cold water... I'll leave bottles out to 'warm up' if I buy them from a store cold..

Vallejo.

Humu and Martiki, I also totally loved "No Deposit, No Return" with Jodie Foster and Darren McGavin!!!

Martiki wrote: "Sign me up for "The Three Lives of Thomasina" and "Dr. Syn alias The Scarecrow!"...

Gee, that gave me a chill. Those were my two VERY favorite movies as a child. No kidding. I even named my orange kitten Thomasina.

But you know guys, maybe other people don't hate these movies. Because whenever I try to buy them on EBay, I get violently outbid.

I really am surprised I haven't yet seen on here a taste sensation involving both peanut butter and spam AT THE SAME TIME...

T

Suriname, a.k.a. Surinam. OK, you might not think you hate it, but when's the last time you thought of it? And is it really OK to be so passively neglectful of an entire country?* If Suriname is not exotic, nothing is exotic. The breakdown in terms of ethnic heritage is: Hindustani ("Indian") 37%, Creole (mixed white and black) 31%, Javanese 15%, "Maroons" (their African ancestors were brought to the country in the 17th and 18th centuries as slaves and escaped to the interior) 10%, Amerindian 2%, Chinese 2%, white 1%, other 2%.

Suriname is one of those places that is Tiki without even knowing it.

http://www.nickerie.com/nickerie

• (please be assured I am joking here)

You can tease Dutch people about Surinam and they still get a little hot under the collar. It surely is one of the most obscure countries.

... along with Chad, Swaziland, Lichtenstein, Abyssinia and the "Mythical State of Jefferson".

CL

On 2005-08-12 17:32, stuff-o-rama wrote:
I love Jim Carrey. My friends mock me for it, but I don't care. He makes me laugh. I've followed him since his early days of stand-up when he was on Rodney Dangerfield's "Young Comedian's" special in the late 70's/early 80's. I've seen him perform live twice and have run into him in random places in LA. He is completely normal, very shy and soft spoken, not at all spastic as people perceive him.

I also love the cheesey 50's 60's "beach blanket bingo/gidget" teen beach party movies. One of my all Time faves is a go go crazy film called "Village of the Giants."

Bring it on, I can take it!

I'm with ya' stuff-o-rama....Gidget rules! Cheesy, yes, but I LOVE Gidget movies. Also love old Elvis and the cheesey '60's surf movies. My non-tiki friends think it's quite odd.

D

Besides The Monkees, I also like watching the Jerry Lewis Telethon. Not the local breaks just the parts with Jerry and the cheesey guests. The local breaks here in NYC are hosted by Tony Orlando. Sorry, that guy may have been around for a long time, but he has no retro value at all. I'm not a fan of all of the guests on the national part, but where else are you going to see Steve Lawrence, Paul Anka, and Shelly Berman? Watching those guys is a f'in scream, and sometimes Jerry pulls out the 'young laaaaa-aady' voice and SINGS here and there. That's reason enough to watch! Everybody else (Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr., etc.) are all dead, so what's a guy to do?

Village of the Giants is a silly movie, but it's a really enjoyably good movie too.

I like the giant ducks shaking their asses in the dance club. That movie's wacky.

Instant mashed potatoes.

HJ

Leaving the television off for months at a time.

Manners & etiquette

puny humans...

and i mean that in a general sense
not a Dave's Not Home "puny" kind of way....

R

On 2009-12-04 11:10, little lost tiki wrote:
puny humans...

and i mean that in a general sense
not a Dave's Not Home "puny" kind of way....

So's that mean ya dun like DNH stylish puny ways?!

QUE LASTIMA!

:lol:

H

On 2005-08-23 07:12, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Skunk smell.

+1. I love the smell of skunks, it reminds me of Pink Pearl erasers.

W

A brief encounter with skunk scent ain't that bad. It reminds me of driving down a summer highway in eastern Washington and every now and then encountering the scent of a skunk that didn't make it across the road. But I wouldn't want the smell all over my dog.

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Dec 4, 2009 2:20 PM

60s garage-punk 45s played on a turntable - and cranked up LOUD

B

The smell of the tire store; Peanut butter hamburgers; the movie The Coca Cola Kid starring a VERY young Eric Roberts AND Better Off Dead with John Cusack! The freakiest thing is I like picking at my teeth with a plastic toothpick until my gums bleed and/or hurt?!? WTF is WRONG with me!? LOL

B

AHHHH! I LOVE Capt Ron! LOL

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies