Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

What do you like that most people hate?

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies

Although I haven't seen it in years, wonder if I would still like it?

Hmmm, pic no show - I'll fix that when I get home. It's "The World According to Garp". 1982 Robin Williams, Mary Beth Hurt, Glenn Close, John Lithgow, Hume Cronyn, Jessica Tandy, etc.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-12-04 17:20 ]

W

Tire stores do smell great. I also love the smell of new carpet and fresh paint.

New Converse used to smell really great. I dunno about the foreign made ones.

Oh yeah, I also dig patchouli and it seems to be on a lotta people's lists of hated perfume type scents.

TM

The smell of diesel trucks....and I finally figured out why....it reminds of being really small and going to Disneyland when the parking lot was in front of the park, and all those buses were pulling up...!!

Bagpipes!

N

On 2009-12-04 17:07, lucas vigor wrote:
The smell of diesel trucks....and I finally figured out why....it reminds of being really small and going to Disneyland when the parking lot was in front of the park, and all those buses were pulling up...!!

The smell of Diesel reminds me of Disneyland too.
but not the buses, the Train that goes around the park.
when you go into a tunnel, especially where the Dioramas are.

but I don't like the smell of diesel, it makes me want to hurl.

Jeff(btd)

B

The smell of diesel reminds me of ski school - we'd get to the slopes and have to trudge behind all the running school busses - the exhaust was overwhelming. Woof - anything made with rubber (no - not THOSE kinds of rubber) is almost an erotic scent. I got a free mousepad in the mail at work once and it had that "new tire" smell. I rolled it up and put a rubberband around it and would sniff it at work once in a while! LOL Come on guys - you KNOW you have some weird attractions like that too! Feet? Fur? Feathers? Come on! COME ON!

What do you like that most people hate?[/quote}

Why hasn't anybody said
"my own farts" ?
:lol:

JB

On 2009-12-05 09:41, little lost tiki wrote:

What do you like that most people hate?[/quote}

Why hasn't anybody said
"my own farts" ?

Because thats F'in nasty.
the sound, yeah thats great.
but I prefer to not smell my own if I can avoid it.
that stuff is toxic.

and I am sure that not everybody hates it,
but it seems that a lot do.

Surf Music.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Vermouth.

On 2005-08-19 05:27, lastmango wrote:
cleaning anything, and the movie The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. None of my friends or my wife got this movie

ME TOO. the cleaning and the movie
But my all time favorite thing that no one else seems to "like" is..... staying home by myself!!

you're wrong,Dawn!
That's WHY we like and tolerate you...
Because you DO stay at home so much!

M

Ishtar. Tellin' the truth can be dangerous business.

i would have to add SMALL WONDER!
V.I.K.K.I.

She's Fantastic!
made of Plastic!
but nobody else i know seems to like her very much....
:(

Driving

Chemistry

Physics

Electric guitar without distortion (especially on surf music)

Scale modeling...dunno if folks "hate" it, but few do it, any more.

Fountain pens...filled from a bottle, with green ink.

[ Edited by: Haole Jim 2010-03-27 23:19 ]

Trini Lopez's version of UNCHAIN MY HEART, Live

TM

On 2010-03-27 23:14, Haole Jim wrote:

Electric guitar without distortion (especially on surf music)

[ Edited by: Haole Jim 2010-03-27 23:19 ]

Yeah, I hate the sound of a distorted guitar. The entire early 90s was a wasteland when it came to guitar tone. It seemed like everyone thought that was how a guitar was supposed to sound......uggghhh!!!!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Mar 28, 2010 7:52 PM

"Lost In Space","Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", the smell of gasoline (smells like TRUTH), "Buckaroo Banzai", pickles, parsley (it was designed to make you want to eat OTHER stuff; it works), Tiki Central, the day after Christmas, kids, music nerds, Nissan's Cube car, cooking, brushing my teeth, Billy the Crud (Well, not love but I think he's funny. Same thing.), cutting the grass, cross-country skiing at night the colder the better, Doris Day Anything, pre-1900 novels, my old shoes, silent Felix the Cat cartoons, Silent Movies of any kind (people REALLY hate them, ever noticed???) and small towns. Love them small towns. I always search out the small-town parts of big cities.

The real question is, what do you HATE that everybody else seems to LOVE????

On 2010-03-28 19:52, Cammo wrote:

Tiki Central Bilge: What do you hate that most people like thread

B

On 2010-03-29 09:18, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:

Tiki Central Bilge: What do you hate that most people like thread

I realize this is off-topic, but I had a dream the other morning and YOU were in it! Now, we've never met and I don't know what you look like, but in my dream you were driving a big black truck, had a big black dog in the back and you were tall and wearing a big black cowboy hat! How off am I? Your name here must have stuck in my brain before going to bed or something! LOL

woofmutt and lucas vigor's posts
Captain Kangaroo Pimp from "Black Dynamite"
that owl from Clash of the Titans
the Twikki robot from the Buck Rogers movie
and Corky from "Life Goes On"

and Dr. Gene Scott!

B

On 2010-03-29 14:36, little lost tiki wrote:

woofmutt and lucas vigor's posts
Captain Kangaroo Pimp from "Black Dynamite"
that owl from Clash of the Titans
the Twikki robot from the Buck Rogers movie
and Corky from "Life Goes On"

and Dr. Gene Scott!

You only like Twikki because he was shaped like a penis!

On 2010-03-29 15:06, beadtiki wrote:
You only like Twikki because he was shaped like a penis!

Nuh-Uh!
i liked his voice!
BiddiBiddiBiddi!

J

Yup, I agree with a lot of this.....

On 2009-12-03 18:56, Haole Jim wrote:
Leaving the television off for months at a time.

I don't even own a television anymore. You have to pay $100 a month to get the good shows. Fuck that !!

On 2009-12-05 09:52, Joe Banks wrote:

I remember when I used to think Susan Dey was the hot one. Now I think it's Shirley Jones. What does that mean? Don't tell me, I already know.

On 2009-12-05 18:53, bigtikidude wrote:
and I am sure that not everybody hates it,
but it seems that a lot do.

Surf Music.

No one hates Surf music, Jeff. That's your imagination.

On 2009-12-06 06:59, Chip and Andy wrote:
Vermouth.

Then those people also hate Martinis and Manhattans. How can that be ?? Who are these people ??

"Lost In Space","Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"....

Silent Movies of any kind (people REALLY hate them, ever noticed???)....

Irwin Allen was a GENIUS !! The black and white episodes of those shows were the best.

Some of my favorite movies are silent. I'm thinking of Lon Chaney in films like "The Unknown","He Who Gets Slapped", and "West of Zanzibar". Now that's some twisted shit.

On 2010-03-29 14:36, little lost tiki wrote:
Captain Kangaroo Pimp from "Black Dynamite"....

Huh, I heard that only 5 people in the world ever saw that movie. If LLT is one and I'm another, I wonder who the other 3 are ?? FYI, I wanna visit that "Kung Fu Island".

So let's see, what else do I love (that most people hate):

STATION WAGONS !!!

"So let's see, what else do I love (that most people hate):STATION WAGONS !!!"

I dig station wagons too, but so do a lotta people. Station wagons became cool a few years back. Old wagons that had gone for very little suddenly jumped in price.

Minivans, on the other hand, everyone seems to hate those. I like 'em cuz they're roomy, comfortable, useful, almost completely lacking in style, and no one thinks they're cool.

Capers

W

Mad cap or Mediterranean?

Imported Gourmet Non-Pareil

Smoked oysters on a Ritz......mmmmmmmm good!

Smooth jazz. (But I hate the term "smooth jazz.")

I don't like all of it, in fact there's far more of it that is utter crap than any good.

Smooth jazz is also a somewhat popular genre so it technically doesn't qualify as something "that most people hate." But it seems that most people who are serious jazz fans or who have taste or good sense hate smooth jazz.

And for the most part their hatred is well founded. The majority of smooth jazz is just glorified elevator music.***** It's unimaginative, repetitive, and aimed at a target audience which will only be drawn to music that's instantly familiar.

I'd guess most smooth jazz fans don't really pay attention to the music the way serious jazz fans do. If the music were interesting to the point that it projected itself into their thoughts they probably wouldn't even like it.

But I think there's a lot of skill in crafting music which perfectly captures the tone of a warm gray morning, being out on the water on a sunny day, or late hours in the city.

I also think Kenny G is proof that all the music from Hell isn't just rock-n-roll. Mr G's music makes me feel as if a sap covered cork screw is being slowly twisted into my skull.

*****For the record: I also love elevator music.

The Lawrence Welk Show. I've been watching the old reruns on PBS lately. It's like a train wreck...horrifying, but you can't turn away.

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies