Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 287 replies

Not a bad weeks work. Thanks for sharing.

I like the Moai; very clean/crisp. Almost Meso-American 'glyph-like'.

Also, the cut-away areas of the Maori spear-head/patu almost make it a Kotiati/'liver-cutter'...

Tama :)

Thanks everyone!

Hewey, I actually thought of that, but I thought it might look a bit to much like GMAN's awsome hammerhead pendant, so tuning it upside down made it look more unique. Happy Birthday, mate!

Conga, :lol: I'll do what I can!

Polynesiac, Thanks for the kind words! No hook knife, mostly roto-tools and lots of hand sanding. There's a bunch of coats of poly on him to so he's real smooth.

GMAN, If I thought for a moment that I could make the same amount of money carving as I do at my crappy job I would do it in a heartbeat! Thanks for everything. :)

Tamapoutini, My wife made similar comments about the Moai. But calling my spear-thing a Kotiati/'liver-cutter' totally made my day! That's cool! Thanks again for all your interest and advice!

That patu is KILLER.. Great job!

Hope you're feeling better.

B

Nice trio Finky Love them all. The Moai is different and excellent too as is the spear head. Don't know which I like the best

Wanted to experiment with color. I'm not sure if I achieved what I wanted or not, but I think it's interesting anyway.

A view from the bottom so you can see the curve

Thanks for looking!

J

It's interesting and quite beautiful! I love the flow of that piece.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 17, 2006 1:21 PM

Mate, looks very interesting. I would suggest cover that whole section where the colour is with colour? At the moment looks half done or something....? But a very kool addition to your carvings

I made another patu kind of thing and I decided to play around with some inlay. It's a tiny piece of cedar (I think, at least it smells like cedar).

When it was finished I decided to take it to work to show my buddies there. I was there about 10 minutes when the clasp came undone and it fell to the cement floor and shattered like glass. :cry: I managed to find most of the pieces and glued them together. I had to reshape it quite a bit to cover up the missing places. Boy, I'm gonna get an ear full from GMAN. :blush:

Sorry for the crappy pics. My camera is like my 14 year old daughter, I can never tell what mood it will be in from one moment to the next.

Thanks for looking!

J

Oh my! My heart broke when you said it shattered! What a beautiful piece. I really like the inlay concept.

B

Oh Finky, What jen said for me too! Looks like you fixed it up prety good. I LOVE the Wood inlay, very cool.

H
Heath posted on Thu, Dec 21, 2006 5:24 PM

I really like the inlay. It gives the piece some contrast or depth or...
Whatever it is, it's definately a good thing.
I also like the the coloring you did on the previous one.
A real feeling of movement and flow.
Keep 'em comin'!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 21, 2006 5:33 PM

Love the inlay man, sucks heaps to know it shattered...

J

On 2006-12-21 17:24, Heath wrote:
I also like the the coloring you did on the previous one.
A real feeling of movement and flow.

I liked it so much I bought it! Yay! More happiness on JenTiki's Island! Anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Dec 21, 2006 5:41 PM

Finky,

I'll show you a clasp configuration that will never come undone, unless you want it to. Sorry to hear it broke, it was VERY nice. Remember, carpet under the carving area.....

-Gman

J

Ouch, and that was a great piece. How did you put the inlay in?

Thanks Jen, Ben, Heath, Hewey, Gman, and JohnnyP(ighammer)! It's always good to hear from you folks, and as I've said many, many times before, if it weren't for you I wouldn't be doing this at all. :D

Yeah, I said a few choice words when I figured out what had happened. It made such a horrible popping noise! :( I like the wood inlay too, so I'm gonna play around with it a bit more.

I'm still trying to find a style, I think. I guess the only way to do that is to keep pluggin' away. Mahalo!

I think you found your style....tremendous style! Really great work finkdaddy and I think the
inlay looks terrific. Sorry about that Colts thing..go PACK!

H

That's some TIGHT work on the inlay-looks awesome! Smooth and clean work on the bones as well. Sux about the breakage. I'm familiar with that horrid bone-popping sound as I've broken 16 bones throughout the course of my existence--(dumb stuff-falling out of trees, a stage dive incident, crashing bicycles, motorcycles, skateboards, snowskis, etc.). When I read that your peice shattered, every bone I've ever broken felt like it re-shattered for a split second. OOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Thanks Conga, that means a lot. :)
Surf-n-turf, I couldn't imagine that sound comming from your own body. Yikes! Thanks for the kind words.

I wanted to try another inlay piece, so I carved up this simple hook to work on. I think I'm going to gather up all my scrap bone and practice my engraving next.
The wood looks much nice in person. It has that tiger-eye look to it. I think it's cedar, but would cedar be that dark?

Mahalo!

B

More Sweetness, I Love the wood'n bone look, it is very regal looking.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Dec 23, 2006 7:18 PM

kool man :)

No work today, so I had a few hours of my own. This one was a lot of fun to do.

Thanks for looking!

J

Wow!! Another fantastic piece! Keep 'em coming!

I'm sending you a PM about a commission.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 26, 2006 6:20 PM

Fink,

That one is really geat! I love the layout and depth. First-rate my man!

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Tue, Dec 26, 2006 6:32 PM

Stingray is freaking awesome man?

Who'd have thought you started so recently with an X-acto knife?

H

........you can move to the front of the class with that one, I believe............looks like a million bucks!!!

Jen, GMAN, Hewey, and Surf-n-Turf, Thank you so much for the comps! The pieces are coming together a bit easier each time I do it.

Here is a commission piece I did for JenTiki. She wanted another hammerhead, but with the colored lines on it. There is still a couple minor things I want to do on it, smooth some curves, straighten some lines, etc.

Here's all my current ones together

Thanks for looking!

J

These are sweet! The double inlay looks fantastic and precise. The stingray is my favorite, I like how you stylized it. You have definitely honed the bone.

JP

J

On 2006-12-14 18:57, finkdaddy wrote:
Here's what I did today:

I decided not to stain this one at all because the finish turned out very, very nice and I was afraid to cover it up. I wish the pics were nicer.

You're right about the pics, they definitely don't do this one justice. The finish is so beautiful, it's almost like porcelain. It seems so delicate in my hands. I'm honored to have this one in my collection.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 27, 2006 4:16 PM

The stringray was good, that coloured hammerhead is nicer again. Very nice man

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.