Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 287 replies

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Aug 14, 2006 5:54 PM

Fink,

That's great stuff! I love the way you mounted that piece. The acorn really sets that carving off...... :)

-Gman

J

I see a jelly fish

Sam G, thank you very much! I'd like to try some more of these and see what I can come up with. If I can figure out a way to do the bamboo part quickly I'd like to try a run of resin cast tikis and see how that works.

Gman, I never saw an acorn until my wife said it and now that's all I can see! Thanks for the kind words.

JohnnyP, thanks man, you're my new best friend. :D

Nice work Finkdaddy :)

Good seeing you last week at Foundation also... now you know where to get a decent Mai Tai in Milwaukee!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Aug 15, 2006 5:12 AM

Looks good man :)

Maybe a bigger carving or smaller bamboo? The piece is lost a little in the size of the bamboo me thinks..

I see a jelly fish doing an impression of an accorn!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Aug 15, 2006 11:05 AM

It could be the acorn jellyfish, Oakus stingicus????

T

that's a great looking wall plaque! i like how you put it all together with the bamboo, matting, and the tiki. i noticed, the acorn, too, but it still looks good. nice job on it!

those are some amazing skills right there. good work and keep it comming along.

nice stuff

H

That's excellent, F-daddy. Good job with the cordage at the boo joints. How big is the whole thing, can't really tell from the pics.

Thanks everyone! I know the piece was to small for the frame, but it was put together very quickly for a cancer benefit that my wife's office is involved with. I had to get it finished in time for a raffle.

Here is the new piece I'm working on. It's going to have 3 different figures in it and will be another one of the wall plaques I've been doing, except this one will turn out to be pretty big when I'm finished. The figure is about 1.5" X 9", but the whole plaque will be around 8" X 18" when it's all done.

When it is finally done, my neighbor is going to make about 20 or 25 resin copies for me so I can make a bunch of wall hangings for you folks. They'll be priced to sell so that I will have money to take to Hukilau!

Here is part one. I'll be rounding out the face some so it's not so square, but you get the idea. :)

Thanks for looking!

Thats a great start. I kinda like the squareness of it. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

On 2006-08-20 18:16, AlohaStation wrote:
Thats a great start. I kinda like the squareness of it. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks Aloha! Yeah, he's kinda growing on me too. I'm thinking he looks like Easter Island's football coach. Oh, well. :wink:

B

I didn't know they had a Football team, but thatz rite, looks just like their coach. Lookin good Finky!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Aug 22, 2006 8:46 AM

Finky,

Where are the bonz? I know you are working on them.....

nice NICE work there. really like him. good job and lookin forward to more pics.

good work

Ben, What, you haven't heard of the Rapa Nui Mad Moai?! They're expected to go far in the Polynesian Playoffs this year. They say their offensive line is as strong as stone. (Sorry, I know that was lame. :blush: )

Gman, No bones yet, but I have some ideas floating around that will happen soon I hope. I'll be asking you for help I'm sure.

Duddy, Thanks! None of this would happen without you folks and your kind words and support.

Mahalo to all!

Here's the next stage. A ton of sanding to do yet, I know, so do dig on me about the detail :wink: .

And here's a picture of me holding my tiki. OK, I'm kidding. It's actually Tiki Duddy. OK, I'm kidding again. It's really my son Brendan who had his first day of kindergaren today! :wink: Just kidding Duddy, I'm just still amazed that you're so skilled at your age!

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2006-08-23 19:11 ]

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Aug 23, 2006 4:47 PM

Finky,

Hey, that looks a little rough.....just kidding :wink: Nothing a little 150 and 220 won't fix in a jiffy! I really like what you have going on with this carve. The marq in the middle looks fab. Do you have an idea of who is gonna be holding them all up (on the bottom)? Hurry up, I wanna see this one completed!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Aug 23, 2006 4:55 PM

I've just read this thread (again!) and was sure I'd replied previously, but I hadn't. So I am now - to say your stuff is awesome. Great pendants, full of character and humour, and the framed pieces are very nice too.
The classic Marquesan pole style head in your tiki totem - is there a particular vintage piece that this is based on? I've seen a few cool interpretations of this design from different carvers here and I love it.

Thanks Gman, of course you would be the guy to point out my rough edges! :wink: No idea whose on the bottom yet, I'll have to look around a bit for some ideas.

Wow, Paipo, such kind words. Thanks! I suppose the Marquesan is based on one I saw in the Icons version of the BOT (pg 54), but I'm not good enough to make stuff look like the picture, so I've settled on my clunky version. :wink:

Mahalo!

man does that look good. once the last head is carved it will be amazing....not that it isnt already.

good one with the child joke there hahahaha. well if i started that young i would be a little bit better right now.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Aug 24, 2006 4:16 AM

Looks great man!

There's still a lot of touch-up work and sanding left to do, and I'm going to put some tappa cloth designs on the open areas between the faces. I'm going to try and have it all completed by the end of the weekend.

Mahalo! :D

man does it look good.
great stuff. always look forward to seeing more

very cool Finky....I really like the Marq....like all three of them....you are doing some
really nice work for your age.

H
Heath posted on Wed, Aug 30, 2006 6:50 AM

finkdaddy, the amount of detail you're able to put in such a small space confuses me. Are you carving these things normal size and then hitting them with a shrink-ray or something? WOW!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Aug 30, 2006 9:07 PM

Hey Fink,

That bottom feller is kinda progressive, aye? What a way to finish out the trilogy. Great stuff. So, any thoughts on how you are going to finish it. Natural? Oiled? stained?....we wanna know! Great job on a tough project. Beautiful carve man!

-Gman

F

Ok GMAN, I've finally started on a piece of bone. I thought I would try something simple first before trying one of your increadible Maori pieces, so I'm doing a couple of hooks first.

I need to smooth and polish this one yet, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Can I just use a felt pad on my Dremel, or do I have to add some abrasive powder to it or something?

Here is the last one I was working on. The stain came out a bit blotchy because I hate sanding so very much, but I'm going to make a bunch of resin copies, so the color will still be OK in the end. :wink: This will be framed and look similar to the other wall plaques I've done, except maybe a bit cleaner looking.

Thanks all for looking!

YES! I love the morphed styles, very creative. How'd ya come up with that idea?

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 10, 2006 1:11 AM

Thats sweet man

B

FINKY! Excellent stuff man, you have come a Long way.. The hook looks like it wil be sweet too. Yes, use the abrasive powder on the felt, with out that, the felt will just shine the scratches. I use different grit Fingernail boards from Walgreens. there are some with 100/120 grit and some wit 4 grits that will sand and polish to a bright shine. Check them out.

Finkdaddy I love the design of the three-tiki wall piece...that will be very nice when it's
finished....
also...your first bone carving looks great...did you get the bone from GMan?

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 10, 2006 7:21 AM

Finky ROCKS! Nice job on that hook. Listen to Ben...he speakum truth! Now get some more bonz!

-Gman

Surfintiki, Thanks. The Moai was just my own creation. I wish I had done the mouth differently, but he's ok. The Marq was inspired by a pic in the BOT. The Lono was based an a few different pics that a TCer (Grog maybe?) had posted a while back. I just thought it would look cool that's all. :blush:

Hewey, thanks mate! It's always nice to hear from you. How's that wagon doing?

Benzart, thanks for the advice. I was thinking of using some 220 grit sandpaper and then using the felt on the dremel with the abrasive powder that I use on my sharpening strop. Do you think that will be sufficient?

Conga, thanks again. I got the bone from a pet store, all the advice and inspiration came from GMAN!

GMAN, you da man! I'm going to polish that up and start a new one today. I love how the bone carves, especially because there is no grain. You can carve in any direction without problems. But man, it does not smell good at all!

Big mahalos to everyone!!

Here it is all finished up. Thanks go out to Benzart and Gman for giving me tips on how to finish this guy. Sorry for the dark photo, my camera just confounds me sometimes.

Mahalo!

nice!

your stuff rocks!

:blush: Thank you Tikiwahine! I can't wait to meet you at the Hukilau!

owwww, I can't make it this year! :cry:

sigh

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 5:06 PM

Finky,

That rules! If you still have my number...please call me tonight!

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 7:27 PM

On 2006-09-10 07:39, finkdaddy wrote:
Hewey, thanks mate! It's always nice to hear from you. How's that wagon doing?

Its always nice to see your work man! Hoping to get the engine block back this week (from machining) to start putting the engine back together.

B

Finky, That hook has Me Hooked, what an Excellent job and Nice photo too. Most Excellent work , Another one???

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 6:08 PM

We want more Fink-bonz! C'mon, I know you are working on them.....

-Gman

On 2006-09-14 18:08, GMAN wrote:
We want more Fink-bonz! C'mon, I know you are working on them.....

-Gman

check back in a couple of hours. :wink:

Here's hook #2. I don't think it's fair to call it a Maori fish hook since it's way to curvy and artsy-fartsy, but I'll definately call it a hook. :wink: I'm really liking the way the bone carves, but with the smell I can only do it outdoors which will limit my carving time. One thing I've figured out though, which I will start doing on the next bone piece, is to go way finer on the sandpaper. I'm going down to 240 grit right now and it's just not enough. Maybe 400 grit next time? God I hate sanding. :cry:

The next couple of carvings I do will be wooden ones again. I have a nice piece of bird's eye maple that I would like to make into a couple of Moai profile pendants.

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement, especially GMAN, who puts up with my inane questions. :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 7:54 PM

Finky,

That is great! I love the style and flow of the piece. Nice design. It looks silky smooth. Nice work. I'm glad you are enjoying the bone. I'll PM you my address. Thanks! :lol:

-Gman

Sorry...meant to write Finky, not Kinky!

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-09-16 08:19 ]

H

Im almost seein some tribal flames in there

Thanks Gman and Hewey. There's a couple of wood tikis I want to do, then I'll get some more bone to carve. I'm liking the fish hook thing, but I have to work on a few I think before I'll come up with my own style.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 16, 2006 8:20 AM

FinkDaddy,

That syle IS all you. On with the show!

-Gman

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 287 replies