Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 287 replies

F

Thanks for the comps Tikiwahine, Hewey, and Unga. It feels good to carve again. I'll bring down a few to the Hukilau too. :)

Here is the wall hanging I started a couple of days ago.

It's not the cleanest piece I've made, but I had to rush it to make a deadline.
Thanks for looking! :D

J

Glad to see you are back carving. The wall hanging is great-the tapa detailing below the mouths is a nice touch.
JP

C

very impressive Finkdaddy....looks great.....excellent carving and framing....how tall is
it? I think I'm gonna have to get on the list for Hukilau leftovers....but wait...I'm
sure there won't be any. Dig it a lot.

B

Finky, About time you posted some more of your work, This wall piece is really Nice, Very Well done. I'd love to see it hanging on My wall. The # 12 is excellent toooo. Kingstiedye is one lucky So-in-so.

TD

hey man. those are looking pro right there. u have talent for sure. keep it comming and good luck on your future creations.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jun 5, 2006 8:10 PM

Man thats awesome! Love it - great way to highlight your work

My only comment would be maybe trim the bamboo ends a little?

Very cool mate :)

Hey finkdaddy - your stuff is cool - I love that TV cabinet - do you have any pics of it after the TV was mounted? Keep up the great work.

F
foamy posted on Wed, Jun 7, 2006 11:21 AM

finkdaddy, your stuff just keeps getting better all the time. I, for one , am very glad you picked up the knives and chisels.

Hey Finkdaddy... nice wall hanger there! Gonna give us northern carvers a little competition there huh? :wink:

Keep up the good work... the more you carve the better ya get!

Finished this guy up last night. He's a bit bigger than I intended, 4.5" tall. The wood turned out real pretty though. When I was carving it I thought it looked rather gray and lifeless, but once he was sanded and stained (red oak), the wood really came to life.

Thanks for looking everyone.

alright...here goes Finky again....great to see you post another one so soon after your
wall hanging...let's see....another one by Wednesday? Let's get Finkdaddy wound up!

#11 is awesome, fd! i dig the pinstriping. i'm happy to say this one is coming my way!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 11, 2006 7:20 PM

Cool piece Finky - rip into it mate :)

Looks great - the pinstriping is a kool touch

B

Finky, this guy is Really excellent. Been waiting for this piece to be finished and it turned out great. Well done as Usual!

Dude...what made milwaukee famous is doing you right! THat wall hanging is AWESOME! rushed or not, that is one fine piece.
the pendant turned out great too, the pinstriping is a very nice touch on the head piece. makes it "go fasta!"

check your PM please!

You make that teensy little pinstriping look easy. And it's a really cool touch.

Nice, clean, symmetrical work as always, Fink. Nice piece.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 12, 2006 8:45 PM

Nice job! That's some small detail. Sweet finish. Very nice.

-Gman

Thanks all of you! I know I've said this before, but every one of you is an amazing artist and I'm so happy to have you all to look up to.

Here is the new guy I started. Not quite as fast as Conga would like, but it's pretty quick for me. :wink: 10+ hour days at work have seriously taken a bite out of my energy lately.

Mahalo!

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2006-06-19 18:32 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jun 19, 2006 7:35 PM

Looking good man!

Work is overated...

B

Absolutely Sweet Finky. How do you keep coming up with these clean, Machined Looks. Nice!

Finky..that whole work thing really makes it difficult to carve as much as we would like...
I am happy that you are at least fitting in a little time to get going on another project...
great start.

Here is a tiny update of #13. I'll finish him up this weekend, I hope. He'll look a lot better once I straighten those teeth and clean him up a bunch. Haven't decided what to do with the head dress yet. I'm thinking something nautical looking, but I don't have any idea what that would be yet.

I got a couple of new Dremel bits I'd like to try out on him. I'm a little nervous, but we'll see what happens. :wink:

Thanks all!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2006 7:52 PM

Looks great man! You do some awesome teeth!

B

Watch out for this guy, he looks like he Bites!. I think he is gonna be a Killer Pendant!

F

Thanks Ben and Hewey. :D You guys always make me smile.

Here is #13. There will be a different cord on him before he ships.

The next one I'm doing is for someone who works with my wife. She wants a Native American totem-style eagle to give to her husband. Not exactly tiki, I know, but she's paying well so what-the-hell.

Mahalo everyone!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jul 2, 2006 9:09 AM

Fink,

This guy is GREAT! I love the whole layout: the chin, the headdress, the eyes, and especially the nose. Very sweet my friend, very sweet!

-Gman

Dig that crazy tiki brah!
I think it's a great idea to diversify your carvings. I do, it makes me a better carver.
Keep up the good work.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 2, 2006 9:13 PM

Man thats awesome! Love the design on the forehead - very cool. Nice vintage kinda look too. Your tikis always make me smile man :)

C

nice work again Finkdaddy...now lets get going on another one. Really like your headdress
treatment....and the whole lay-out is great.

Excellent work on #13, finky. I LOVE the designs on the headress - that really makes the tiki look alive! This one is a beaut!

J

Number 13 was certainly not unlucky. Very nice layout executed well. So how is the totem pole turning out? People up by us call my tikis totem poles.

JP

man is that looking good!! i like how you did the mouth and the teeth very nice. keep them up i look forward to the next ones.

F

Thank you so much, everybody, for the kind words. I'm making slow but steady progress, I hope. I try to learn something new from each one I do, and from all of the terrific art that is abundant on this site. I just purchased a large set of Dremel bits and a few new knives, so I'm hoping to raise my own bar on the next few. I want to try and break out of my current style and create something different for me. I'll post some pics of the eagle carving later tonight when I have a bit more complete on it.

Mahalo!

finky I love your pendants!
Someday I'd be honoured to wear one 'round my neck.

B

Finky, this last guy is really excellent. Your work is coming together very well. I Really Really love this last guy, I guess he just grew on me.

F

Ben, thank you. You know that means a lot to me.

TikiWahine, it would be an honor to know you were wearing one! I'll let you know when I get that far. Thanks for the kind words.

Here is the eagle I started last night. This will be the first time I've really used the dremel to carve with, so I'm a bit apprehensive.

Here it is just roughed out

I started doing the detail with a knife, then switched to the dremel after a short time.

The detail looks better in person than in these pics. The light washed everything out. I'm planning on either using some paint on this one, or if I can figure out how, I want to add some stain to the details while leaving other parts plain. Can anyone give me some tips on doing that?

Thanks!

I know it's not much tiki, but it was fun to make. :blush:

Here's one with my 3 year old so you can see the size.

The one I'm starting tonight will be another of the wall hangings. It will go to a charity event for cancer research that my wife's office is involved with.

Thanks for looking. No more non-tiki stuff, I promise. :wink:

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 24, 2006 5:13 PM

TIKIS man! TIKIS!

That eagle is pretty cool though. Share your nontiki carvings, they can still give folks ideas.

But dont forget the TIKIS!

:)

looks like a tiki-influenced eagle to me...i think it flies!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 25, 2006 1:25 PM

Yeah, that eagle flies with me. Your Tikgle is super! That's a keeper for sure. Thanks for posting that. I've been getting the tingle to get back to animals, maybe I can find a way to do tiki-fied animals like your Tikgle. Great work!

-Gman

CA CAAAAW. good work on the eagle man. i really like it. what kind of wood did you use?

B

Finky, that is One Cool Eagle. Looks like it was made by the NE Indians for a totem pole. Very difficult to do and get that Tlinket look.

Thanks all. :)

Hewey, no worries mate! This wasn't a lifestyle change, just a favor for my wife. :wink: More tikis to come!

Conga and Gman, it didn't occur to me that it would be tiki influenced, but I suppose it would have to be since literaly everything I've ever carved has been a tiki!

Tikiduddy, Thanks! The wood is mahogany. Caw!

Ben, thank you so much. I wanted to make a Native American style eagle, so I'm glad you think so too!

This is a little piece that will be part of a wall hanging I'm donating to a cancer raffle. The stuff on the forehead was supposed to be a jellyfish design I saw on an old piece of tappa cloth, but when my wife saw it she said, "Cute acorn!"

Oh well, I'll try harder next time. :wink:

I'll post the finished pics tomorrow. Thanks for looking.

B

Looks nice Finky. The Acorn or jellyfish or whatever it is woeks. It's nice to see you posting again. Show us more.

Thanks Ben! I didn't spend much time on this one, so it's not very even or inventive. The next one I've started should have a more vintage look. I believe it's a small piece of maple that you sent me a while ago.

Here is the finish pic. Thanks for looking!

I've always liked these kinds of wall plaques with the bamboo, finkdaddy. You've done a top notch job on it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 287 replies