Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 287 replies

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 16, 2006 8:20 AM

Sorry, mouse double-tap = double post :)

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-09-16 08:21 ]

B

Double mouse tap my butt, you just wanted to double your praise, I know I do. Excellent hook#2 Finky So now whats the deal, we gotta wait for wood carvings before we see more bone work? That works, just post the pix.

B

Double mouse tap my butt, you just wanted to double your praise, I know I do. Excellent hook#2 Finky So now whats the deal, we gotta wait for wood carvings before we see more bone work? That works, just post the pix.

more great work from Finkdaddy....and by the way....HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Finky is having a
birthday party tonight...let's all show up and surprise him!

P

So you polished that straight off a #240 sand :-? I think I used to go through 180, 400, 600 or similar (basically coarse,medium,fine) when I was doing bone.
Anyway, looks great to me - you've done really well with these two. Nice curves and flow! The cool stuff you guys are doing makes me want to carve some bone again.

F

Cool work, excellent finish
regards
Flynny

Thanks everyone for the kind words. :)

Here is a Moai profile I just finished. It's carved from a small piece of bird's eye maple. It's very light but it was hard a steel! It was waaaay easier to carve the bone stuff than it was this.

I didn't use any stain so that the gorgeous grain could stand out.

I got as close as my camera would let me so you could see the grain better.

Thanks for looking. More to come soon!

keep em coming Finkdaddy...getting better all the time...and they were always cool. I
really like the flowing lines of the Moai....you are gonna peddle a lot of your stuff
at Hukilau....wish I could be there to help carry the money back.

B

Finky, that is NICE. Beautiful wood, Nice carving

J

Sweet job. That birds eye maple is choice stuff. Isn't that characteristic of maple that grows in nothern Wisconsin and the UP?

JP

Awesome work! This small stuff is confounding to me, but you make it look easy with your clean lines and wicked styling.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Sep 23, 2006 2:02 AM

Looks nice man!

Number 1 is currently in a box waiting to move house... :)

Thanks everybody for such kind words. :) Is bird's eye maple only from around here? I had no idea. The maintenance guy from my old job got a huge peice of it off an old machine in the warehouse and I talked him into cutting a chunk off for me. I think the machine was built in the '40s so the wood is pretty old.

Here is a wall plaque I just finished. The background is from an old aloha shirt that was ripped beyond repair. The tiki is a resin copy of my carving. I'm going to post this in market place too, since I'm going to make about 10 copies or so and see if anyones interested. The overall dimensions are about 9" by 20". Sorry for the dark pics, my camera was dropped recently and something about the light sensor doesn't work right anymore. :cry:

Mahalo!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Sep 25, 2006 7:36 PM

I think plenty of people will be interested in these. It's a really cool piece and you've done a nice job with the frame and background to give it the old school look. How do you get your resin to look so much like wood? I haven't tried casting yet, it looks like it'll be a pretty steep learning curve from what I can see.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 25, 2006 7:43 PM

Fink,

The casting came out great! I imagine you will be able to move a bunch of those. Also, I missed that maple pendant...WOW is that beautiful! Great stuff, you are really busting out some killer carves....

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 25, 2006 7:49 PM

Looks awesome man! great job on getting such a nice casting, then the display is awesome too.

Make sure you number them out of 10 so folks know whichone they get.

I hope you washed the shirt :)

F

Thanks Paipo, GMAN, and Hewey! This is my first attempt at resin casting, but my neighbor is a good teacher (thanks Mike!). As for the wood look, I started with a burnt red primer, then dry-brushed on different layers of color until I thought it looked right. I'm learning, and I'm excited about all of the things I should be able to do now. I guess now I'm going to have to learn how to paint.

Here are the tikis in progress

Mahalo!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 1, 2006 5:17 PM

Way to go Fink. Thise look great. Do these all have homes? I hope so. Stay away from breathing the MEK hardener in that resin. It is bad stuff.

-Gman

F

On 2006-10-01 17:17, GMAN wrote:
Do these all have homes?

Only 1 so far, but I'm hoping after Hukilau to move some more. I figure people are saving their cash right now for the upcoming weekend. :wink:

Here are the fabrics that will be on the rest of the plaques. A total of 3 will have the tapa design you've seen already, 3 will have the lauhala matting, 2 will have the ocean scene with the palm trees, 1 will have the green bamboo, and 1 will have the red and black flower print.

Mahalo!

B

Finky, Excellent job with the resin and the tikis are Better than excellent. HappyHappyHappy

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 1, 2006 11:58 PM

Nice man! :)

Those look great. So dd the mold crap out on you on such a small run?

F

On 2006-10-02 12:56, AlohaStation wrote:
Those look great. So dd the mold crap out on you on such a small run?

No, I can do a bunch more. I just wanted to see if people were interested or not.
Thanks for the kind words. :)

F

Here are some pics of final pieces. If anyone wants a tiki by itself too, that would be cool by me. :wink:

Thanks for looking!

I've been trying some new techniques with the dremel. Thought I'd share a couple of pics. :) It's hard to tell in the picture because of the lighting, but I soaked the hook in some black tea for a while and it really gave it a great finish. Now I just have to work on getting my lines smoother. :blush:

Mahalo!

Killer job!! Nice details. I like the tea stain idea for coloration, too..

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2006-10-22 07:36 ]

B

So Finky, You've been holding out on us too, The Bone works look great. Nice smoothe lines and cool detail.

Nice work Finkdaddy, another great bone carver! And I really like the framed pieces,
cool backgrounds. nice to have to back from your Florida trip.

Thank you so much Skully and Benz!

Skully, I sent you a PM. I saw the trick about the tea staining on one of GMAN's posts, but I think I need to leave it in longer next time.

Ben, I'm not holding out, I swear! :lol: This is the first thing I've carved since Hukilau. I'd like to try a Maori figure next, maybe. It was neat to finally meet you in Florida, I only wish I had spent some time with you. If things work out, I may be living just a stones throw away from you after this spring. Cross your fingers for me. :)

Hey Conga!!

You snuck in that post before I saw it. Thanks for the kind words. The Florida trip was terrific, although a bit humbling. I have a LOT to learn!

It will be in the 30's tonight. Any snow by you yet?

On 2006-10-21 13:10, finkdaddy wrote:
I soaked the hook in some black tea for a while

Lovely Matau! I have also seen a guy in NZ who puts his nearly-finished bone carvings in a fish 'smoker', where they get a beauiful patina. I think the depth of blackening can be controlled by the length of time exposed. He then sands tham back a bit to lighten the colour of high spots. Looks great & brings the added dimension of smelling like a tribal cook-out! (smokey -not fishy!)

Tama

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2006-10-21 17:11 ]

Thanks for the kind words, Tamapoutini. I hadn't thought of that fish smoker trick. I've been getting some great advice lately. Mahalo!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 21, 2006 5:55 PM

Great pendant Fink. I love your shapes and details. I sent you a PM about the bud burrs. Try the tea for 24 plus hours and then a quick buff to lighten the edges/high areas and accent the recessed areas.

Beautiful pendant finky!

J

Very nice bone work. What do you mean you have to get the lines smoother? They look smooth enough to me.

I have my fingures crossed for your move to FL. Who knows, next spring we may be neighbors.

JP

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 5:20 AM

Thats gotta be one of the sweetest fish hooks Ive seen! Great flwoing lines, even the way the cord is tied on is sweet. Very nice man. # 1 sends his love, even though he is wrapped in a baseball sized wad of paper ready to move house... :)

Thanks everyone!

Gman- Thanks for the advice. I've been getting some great tips lately.

Tikiwahine- Mahalo! I think it would look best hanging around your neck. :wink:

JohnnyP- I guess the lines are straight enough, but it's really the depth of the lines in the engraving that I'm having trouble getting smooth.

Hewey- Mahalo mate! It's always good to hear from you. Hurry up and move already. Free #1 from his newspaper prison!

amazingly great!

from your stunt double

L
Loki posted on Tue, Oct 24, 2006 5:16 AM

Fink,
lookin' good my friend. i think your really onto sumptin' here. I think i'm about ready to start one. I really like the eye hole on the newest hook. That is not an easy cut.

Thanks J$! I thought it was funny when people confused us at Exotica, but when everyone did it at Hukilau too I figured there must be something to it! :lol:

Loki, thank you so much. It was very nice to hang out with you in Florida. I think you should give bone carving a try. I was nervous about it, but Gman led me through it. Now I just have to invest in a good engraving bit to get my lines more even.

Here is my latest hook. It's kind of a loop-hook combo. I know my pictures suck, my camera hasn't been the same since I dropped it. :blush: It's better in person, trust me.

Mahalo! :D

Thats excellent! The combo of the loop and hook are perfect. keep them comin.

B

Finky, I see you are really getting "Hooked", Excellent job on this hook too,,,Where will it end??

Thanks AlohaStation! I have to try stuff that's interesting to me and that is more difficult than the previous piece. Sometimes I get in way over my head and a potentially great piece turns out weak and sloppy, but at least I've learned something and I have a lot of fun trying. :wink:

Ben, with any luck it will never end. Mahalo!

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2006-10-29 09:28 ]

great piece, fd!

wonderful work mr daddy. not sure about your camera, but I can't really imagine it looking any
better than it does now. keep em coming.

P

It's cool to see you guys doing the kiwi style stuff - we all cut our teeth on hooks, twists and spirals here, and they teach you some really good technical skills. You seem to have a great feel for these already finkdaddy, and they'll just keep getting better and more detailed as you find new short-cuts and tricks.
I haven't done any for ages and they used to be a specialty of mine, but I do have a hook commission coming up this week so it'll be fun carving one again.

H

Yes, the loop is realy beautiful. It´s a cool form!
Especially, I love the way you fixed the laces on your hooks.
I have never senn it before. Keep it up!

That is sweet. It almost looks like a mermaid's tail.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 287 replies