Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 287 replies

F

I figured that a new year deserved a new thread. I think in my mind it seems like a new start or something, I don't know. If you wish to view my previous art, here is the link to my first art thread http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10711&forum=7.

This is a pendant I started on a while back. I still want to put another coat of stain on him and use a darker cord, but basically he's complete.

My company laid me off this whole coming week, so hopefully I will get a lot of carving done. Thanks for looking!

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2006-12-26 17:25 ]

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2006-12-27 14:54 ]

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2007-01-28 09:45 ]

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2007-01-31 19:58 ]

B

Hey Fink, Nice pendant, too bad about the corp layoff thingy though. We expect to see 7 days worth of carving coming up.

H

That's great stuff. Really nice.
When you carve in miniature, do you use a small vise? Or do you hold them in your hand while carving?
I always wondered how you keep da buggah still.

L
Loki posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2006 9:57 AM

Fink, The missing tooth makes him...awesome!

nice work finky.....good to see that you are back to whittlin'. With this whole week off...we
expect to see a lotta new stuff.

J

That tough guy look makes the piece. A whole week to carve guess that makes the best of the situation.
JP

F

Wow, thanks everybody! No worries about the lay off thing, I thinking of it as a semi-paid vacation. :wink:

HelloTiki, I know Benzart is going to cringe when I tell you this, but I just hold the wood in my hand, which of course leads to much bloodletting.

Here is the next pendant I'm working on. I'm probably going to work on the eyes a bit more, but when I add any small detail it just gets lost in the crazy zebra wood grain. I'm also not quite sure what to do with the very top (the part you would see if you were looking straight down on it). I'll most likely just sand him smooth and coat him with some poly to make the grain stand out. The pictures don't look as good as he does in person. The cuts don't look as deep for some reason.

Mahalo!

F
foamy posted on Mon, Feb 6, 2006 5:49 AM

Doggone finkdaddy, you're carving up some little marvels here. I'm liking your work a lot.

F

Thanks Foamy! Have you seen the pics of your Tiki Leisure set hanging in the Leeward Lounge? They look awsome! Everybody who visits asks me tons of questions about them. Thanks again. Hang in there, I'm still working on our story. :)

F

I've dicided to try something more traditional, so I'm going to attempt a lono from a piece of Black Walnut that Benzart gave me. Don't laugh when it turns out competely different than what I intended! :wink:

Thanks for looking!

B

Finky, lookin' good!. When it doesn't turn out as intended, it usually is better,, so Have at it and get the camera rolling. Those earlier pendants are really well done..

Here are #8 and #9 all finished up and on their way home. The poly really made that zebra wood look great.

I've been talking to Mr. Predicta lately and he's having me draw up some designs that I might wind up carving for the tiki model Pridicta TVs! http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12472&forum=1 I'll post anything that might happen with that.

Thanks for looking!

J

Those look great and carved very clean. They look terrific under macro mode.
JP

nice work , i really like the flames on the first one.

B

More nice stuff Finky,
How'd you like carving that Zebra wood???

very cool work Finkdaddy...great detail....keep em coming....everyone should have at least
one Finky....that would keep you busy huh?

B
Bete posted on Mon, Feb 13, 2006 9:44 AM

Cool carvings, very, very cool.

Thanks everyone! :D

JohnnyP, I try to keep my carvings as clean as I can. I think it makes up for what I lack in talent.

rodeotiki, Thanks again. I had a Maori looking thing on there originally, but it just wasn't working for me. I like this way better too.

Benzart, it's always nice hearing comps from you. I liked the zebra wood even though it was a bit tough with the hand tools. I had to keep the design very simple though because any detail just got lost in the grain. I'm carving the Black Walnut you sent me. It's very nice to carve and it seems to hold a lot of detail, but I don't think it's as pretty as Mahogany.

CongaTiki, Mahalo to you too! I would love to be that busy carving, then I could quit my job and have fun for a living.

Bete, it's always great to hear from all of you. It's the real reason that I'm able to carve at all. Thank you!

BTW everyone, when I got my new computer I lost my carvings-to-do list. I believe I got to everyone, but if you are waiting for a pendant please let me know and I'll get one to you. :)

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 3:06 AM

heya Finky - good to see ya back into it! Lovely worl as always from the little tiki master.

Mr. Predicta has started a custom tiki TV for a client and asked me if he could use one of my designs on the case. Of course I said yes! It is just the case right now, but I'll post pics when it's done. The tiki is the above #8. Everything else is hand made by him.

Here is the beginning of #10. I'm going to try and finish this one before the end of the month so I can take it with me on my Florida vacation.

Thanks all for looking!

B

Congrats Finky, This is quite an honor and you deserve it. keep up the good work.

now that is a tremendous piece of art-furniture! Nice work Finky...your tikis really set
this off nicely...I wish I had one!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 22, 2006 4:19 AM

Cool man. Great to see you back into it! Lovely work as always - Ive missed it.

T

Now how cool is that? You could easily make a living doing TV's I think. I know I might be interested in one... very nice work!

F
foamy posted on Wed, Mar 22, 2006 5:07 AM

Hey Finkdaddy, please put me on your list.

B

Finky, that #10 is Really Nice. Ultra clean in the Finky fasion.Nice going there.

#10 is looking good. The TV cabinet came out great with the Finky accents. I've been working on bigger Tikis lately but can't wait to get back to the smaller stuff.

Finished #10 just a while ago, but not after he took a bite out of my thumb. :blush: This one's going to our good friend Pablus. I will present it to him in person in a couple of weeks as his prize for naming my bar. I'm just praying for good weather!

Thanks for looking, and thank you everybody for always being so supportive. :D

oh, neat. I like that little guy! Very simple, yet it seems like he could tell a whole story if you listened long enough.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 7:32 PM

Very nice indeed! I like the remaining tool marks. Cool piece!

-Gman

very nice piece finkster, the cabinet is Da' BOMB

Very cool, I especially like how you carved the mouth.

J

I like the mouth as well, but the whole tiki was thought out well. The dots add to it. Another biter?
JP

better all the time mr finky...gonna proudly wear your pendant at coontiki....

B

OK, I give up, How did you get the dots all over the tiki? Paint, Inlay, Chicken pox??
Inquiring minds want to know.

I've started work (again) on #11. It's a piece of black walnut which is fairly easy to carve. I think it's similar to mahogany to carve, but I don't think the grain is as pretty. I'm thinking of using a nice dark stain and poly and see if I can give it a nice warm glow. There's a lot to carve on him first though. :)

Thanks for looking!

Nice start Finky, and what are you using to carve these? That was probably posted earlier...
but I'm too lazy to look. Are you "hook knifing" it?

B

Finky, He is looking super cool. You will find that carving walnut varies from piece to piece depending on where on the tree the piece came from and how it was cured. I have some that is soft as Mahogany and some hard asnails. SOme with straight palin grain and some spectacular. Don't judge the whole tree by one branch! Just keep on carving your marvelous tikis!

J

I like the concept and layout so far. This will be a great piece. How tall is it?
JP

F

Thanks a bunch Conga, Benz, and JohnnyP. I still haven't invested in that hook knife yet. Maybe if you come down on the 27th Conga, you can show me how to use it? :wink: I'm hoping that as I begin to carve deeper that he will loose that square, clunky look. I'm not happy so far, I always go through a stage where I hate what I'm carving, but it almost always works out in the end. This guy is about 4 inches tall I think. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 1, 2006 7:55 PM

This one's looking cool Finky! I think it'll have traditional DNA, but with that Finky style we all love.

Even Shag doesn't mind Finkdaddy's #1 tiki...

F

Wow! That's about the coolest thing I've ever seen. What an honor! Thanks Hewey, do you mind sending a hi-res pic to my email?

Mahalo!!

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 8:38 PM

On 2006-05-02 14:51, finkdaddy wrote:
Wow! That's about the coolest thing I've ever seen. What an honor! Thanks Hewey, do you mind sending a hi-res pic to my email?

All good man and will do! (does this mean I get a discount on my next purchase? :) )

Dude! shags holding your tiki...uhh...hmmm...maybe I should re-phrase that.... :wink:

seriously, that's quite an honor. hewey's da man for makin' it happen. New tikis looking great, I'm diggin' the headress. and I LOVE those teeth beginnings!

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-05-03 21:46 ]

F

Here is the beginning of a wall hanging I'm making for one of my wife's friends who wants to give it as a wedding gift. I'm planning on mounting it on a surf board shaped background.

Here is the progress on #11. This guy, I think, will be going to Kingstiedye.

Two things have jump-started my carving bug again:
The fact that I want to buy a uke that I can't really afford, and the announcement about Hukilau '06. I need drinking money! :wink:

Finkdaddy I love your tikis, you put such joyous personalities into them.
I alway enjoy seeing what new items you're working on.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 4, 2006 12:06 AM

Great to see you back into it mate!

UB

Great job Fink!
Can't wait to buy a Tiki from you at Hukilau.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 287 replies