Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

happyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappy

Pages: 1 2 79 replies

B

It seems that BigBenZart#5has been abused, mashed or in some way comprimized by FedEx shipping. We have been waiting for delivery confirmation since Feb 16 when it "Departed FedEx Location" and has not been seen since. No one at FedEx has bothered to call and when called said " a claim will have to be filed"
Does Anyone Know anyone who works in Fedex that could help???
We called our local FedEx and they were very Uncooperative and said we had to wait for a call from Pa. No one offers any info and all we get is" I don't know". It is all a bit strange and distressing.
The Tiki was Well packaged as anyone who has received a BigBenzart can attest. Any suggestions?
Here is what he looked like before. If anyone sees him around Pa. or Md. area, call the authority's.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-02-24 16:41 ]

Oh, that's a shame. He's such a beautiful guy. I sure hope he shows up. Can we get his mug on a milk carton? Come to think of it, do they even make milk cartons anymore?

...Or swiped by FedEx. I know that thing would never again see the light of day if it broke open on MY route!

Ben,
That is terrible but don't give up hope yet. Greyhound finally showed up two days late with a big tiki I purchased. I was a nervous wreck at the thought of losing him plus the money I spent, so I feel for you.
Geoff

M

We have been waiting for delivery confirmation since Feb 16 when it "Departed FedEx Location" and has not been seen since.

I would second Geoff's post and counsel to wait a bit longer. One would be amazed at how the times coincide, i.e a sender/sendee's concern about non-delivery is raised and at that same time the parcel immediately appears. It's like a cosmic force, akin to karma but without the bitter aftertaste.

No one at FedEx has bothered to call

Bah hah ha hah!

Good luck, it will be a bummer if lost, but I would guess it arrives directly. Then again, they never found Lindbergh's baby, oh wait. I was thinking of Jimmy Hoffa's baby.

$20 on it arriving safe and sound by Thursday...takers?
midnite the greek

B

Actually the package is not lost! FedEx Said it was DAMAGED, and we are not allowed to see it or hear anything about it...

M

Oh, ok...well, forget everything I said. I'm easily confused. Your post started with "waiting for delivery confirmation" and that read like it was lost in the ether. Who communicated the report of damage to you? Someone along/within the carrier process? Not the addressee?

Get all the commercial documentation together and prepare for a lot more aggravation. Would need more info before I can say much else.

Bad news...indeed,
midnite

I hope that Fedex is prepared to pay the karmic price. I sure wouldn't mess withsuch an awesome Tiki. Shrunken heads will roll!

B

The Final word from FedEx is the package was Totally destroyed and discarded. I don't know when they were going to call and tell anyone but it had to be pretty bad to have destroyed the package. I'm not sure I can comfortably ship any more BigBenzarts after this.

J
john posted on Tue, Feb 21, 2006 4:20 PM

you have to stay on fed ex to get any results, get names of everyone you talk to, and be prepared for them to affix some sort of blame on your packaging - im still trying to settle a claim for $100 from the summer
lots of luck
-john

B
Bete posted on Tue, Feb 21, 2006 4:24 PM

What a shame, I feel bad for all parties involved here (including FedEx), as it sounds like they must have had a majorly big problem (maybe even other people's packages were damaged). What a shame that happened, as I know how much work Ben puts into his pieces and how happy people are to get them. So sorry to hear all that.

S

I gave up on Fed Ex, UPS and DHS a while ago. They are so damned pressed for time that everything gets abused and they consider the insurance pay offs a part of the business of getting things there fast. I only ship via the post office, as I know they tend to treat things more carefully. You used to could ship via the bus...

If your packaging was stout, I'm skeptical it was a total loss. It would pretty much have to burn for that. OTOH, FedEx (and other's) have their accidents. This one happened Feb. 8th in Colorado.

Stay on 'em, Ben. There's got to be more to this story.

B

How can I find out what happened to the package?

Just found this one dated Feb. 15:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/13877750.htm

Tractor-trailer accident ties up I-85
Associated Press
RALEIGH, N.C. - An overturned tractor trailer is blocking part of northbound Interstate 85 in Orange County.

The state Highway Patrol says the accident occurred around 2 a.m. near mile marker 169 near Hillsborough. Troopers say a FedEx piggyback tractor-trailer was driving behind another rig without a trailer when it ran into the back of it. The FedEx tractor-trailer overturned and blocked both northbound lanes of the interstate.

Neither driver was hurt.

Traffic in the vicinity is backed up for more than a mile. The patrol is advising motorists to detour to N-C 86. They say the highway may not reopen before 10 a.m..

Maybe your Tiki was aboard??

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2006-02-21 16:58 ]

K
Kono posted on Tue, Feb 21, 2006 5:17 PM

I bet it was on that truck. Give 'em hell and demand to see pictures of the damage. It could be that the damage was superficial or only to the packaging. They may just be writing off the whole truckload for insurance purposes. I don't know what the hell I'm talking about but get on their asses and stay on 'em! Get the buyer on them as well. Tell them the item has sentimental value above the material value. I don't know if that means anything but it sounds good! Make sure they provide you with proof of the damage. Just my dos pesos.

F
foamy posted on Tue, Feb 21, 2006 5:37 PM

[ Edited by: foamy 2006-02-21 18:05 ]

T

First off, what a total bummer. I saw this post this morning, and I was so mortified, I couldn't even respond. Next, I second all the comments. Damaged and you're not allowed to see any pictures or get any details? That sounds way fishy to me. You just need to call and tell 'em how pissed you are (it helps if you can at least fake being pissed off). Get on them a bit and don't let 'em fop off some crap answer on ya. If the thing has been damaged, you deserve some answers. The package was destroyed and discarded? Sounds like the package was discarded and that beautiful tiki is in someone's living room or something. Like everyone else said, you have to stay on top of things like this, too. Calling every day sounds ridiculous, but in this day and age, it's the only way that you can things done. Best of luck getting everything sorted out in a timely fashion!

At least if a Greyhound bus is in a serious crash everyone pretty much knows about it. If a FedEx truck wipes out, who knows what the heck happens. The lack of detail in their explanation is outrageous and makes me wonder if the package wasn't stolen.

M

*The Final word from FedEx is the package was Totally destroyed and discarded. I don't know when they were going to call and tell anyone but it had to be pretty bad to have destroyed the package. *

I wouldn't consider that the final word, one. Two, you can pretty much assume the package was not completely destroyed and discarded, that's not really possible. It's either totally destroyed, dust to dust, that sort of thing...or...they chucked it. Three, the one thing I know: it's up to the claim process now. They'll work on an assumption the issue is paying you, getting to the "bottom" of it to discover what happened? Not a real concern.

The initial reaction I had was truck accident: blown up, blown up real good. My guess is FedEx will simply pass you off to the claim process, which will be long and troublesome. I am uncertain you'll ever get a straight answer as to what really went down. Unless you can get feedback from the parties actually involved, I think, you've heard all you will (a few words in a small form).

Don't rely on a phone call for anything, put it all in writing and do your talking through the mail, not on the phone. Good luck, I can envision you being quickly paid, in relative terms, but how much is another matter. The loss of a piece of art you produced will never be compensated properly, that much is unfortunately true.

Sorry to hear about this, if you have any questions on legal crap, email me. I love to fight insurance companies.

midnite...a total and complete jerk, but with legal authority to do so.

T

On 2006-02-21 14:57, HelloTiki wrote:
I hope that Fedex is prepared to pay the karmic price. I sure wouldn't mess withsuch an awesome Tiki. Shrunken heads will roll!

Whoa dude. It's gotta be a huge price to pay, kamically. Boy are they in trouble...

Mid Knight, Your legal chatter has me all fired up. I think I will adjourn to the basement and enjoy watching "Legally Blonde" Featuring " Elle Wood & Bruiser the dog". No teasing, I have young daughters. This DVD was seen over 700 times in one weekend at our house, I don't know how kids do that.

Just tell me your business cards AREN'T magnetic..

Bummer 'bout the artwork though.
Aloha

Yeah, "discarded" my butt.

I'm sure you all noticed how many totally uncrushed packages were visible in that accident picture.

I mean, come ON. A set of Victorian teacups...sure, okay. I could believe that.

But a solid wood TIKI?!?

It's in someone's living room. I hope you get those guys. Best of luck to you!!!!!!!

growly tikivixen

man, this thread makes me nauseous.
I agree that it seems extremely unlikely that a (beautiful)solid wood tiki was completely destroyed.
Maybe the box had damage, probably including the shipping label & someone took home an amazing souvenir.
Being powerless & at the mercy of vague answers & corporate policy sucks ass.
I'd hammer them mercilessly about it.
It's never over until it's over, so best of luck!
I hope there is a happy ending to this story.

B

Silverline, it was Not on that truck as the last entry in their tracking read: "Departed FedEx location, Lewisberry, PA, Feb 16th, 12:22AM".
It could have been Another truck accident I don't know. Are they always so secretive about their losses?
Bewildered in Florida.
Midnight, if you know anyone or can be of any help, yes let me know. I am very upset over this and feel very violated and taken advantage of.
Thanks.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-02-22 05:16 ]

I hate to say it but if you want answers, you have to be annoying. Do you have a local TV station who has one of those irritating consumer advocates? You know the type I'm talking about? The one who gets on the phone and tries to solve your problem and then sends a camera crew out to the business just to torture the owners/managers?

Here's my suggestion: Call the Fedex office you shipped from and tell them you are contacting one of these consumer advocates tomorrow morning since they have been unable to help you. If they seem oblivious to what a consumer advocate is, give them a few hints; annoying calls, camera crews, etc.. The "tomorrow" is key since it will give them a little time to get some answers and call you back and avoid the public humiliation.

TTT

http://www.local6.com/money/2514373/detail.html

I don't know how close you are to central Florida but they have a "Problem Solvers" team at this link. Fedex is a big fish and they would probably love to tackle this one rather than a comsumer who had their roof replaced by a fly-by-night company.

TTT

Maybe we need to start a letter writing campaign to Fed Ex management demanding an explanation about what happened to our friend's art work and threatening a grassroots boycott of FED EX by ebay users. Maybe a couple hundred letters to the CEO would get their butts in gear. Where do we write?
KG

B

Hey Ben,

sorry to hear about the "total loss" of the carving. He was a beaut.

Everyone here has given such great advice and I completely agree with the advocate idea.

Here's my 2 cents....we ship a TON with ups and fedex (about 200 packages a day...tractor trailer comes in and takes the stuff away) and because of this high volume, we're given "preffered customer" status...whatever that means.

The only benefit I see to our "preffered" status, is that for UPS I have a direct line to a CSR (no such luck with Fedex or I'd give it to you!) and anytime a problem arises, I call the csr or our sales rep, and it gets solved, and solved quick.

I realize you arent shipping to this magnitude, but if you used a mailboxes etc, or a fedex store to ship it, THEY certainly have that kind of clout. If you shipped it on your own, it might be a little harder to get any results.

If you used a shipping store, I'd go right down there and refuse to leave until you're satisfied with an answer. If you don't get one by day's end, come back the next day with a camera crew (even if you just have some friends dress up & play newsman!!).

If you shiped it on your own, I might be able to help if you want to give me the tracking number. I'm not sure.... because I'm not the shipper or the recipient they may not share any info with me.

Best of luck, and don't give up!

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2006-02-22 07:37 ]

A google search turned up 216,000 hits on "Fedex sucks" and 317,000 hits on "fedex complaints". I clicked through a few of them, and unfortunately didn't find any that reported a positive resolution.

Lost packages and terrible customer service is standard operating procedure for them.

T

I can't even begin to imagine what I would do in this situation. Benzart, I think I would have lost my mind if I was you, or have gone through a few fifths. The problem solver/ camera crew is a great idea. Up here in Michigan we have one called the "Hall of Shame". Bargoyle's suggestion to have a friend dressed up to play a newsman is classic. I would pay to see that footage, you could screen it at tiki events. It would be a cult film here at TC. Best of luck and I second everything everyone else has said.

F
foamy posted on Wed, Feb 22, 2006 7:59 AM

Is anyone here employed by FedEx? If so, please PM me. Discretion guaranteed. An insiders take on the situation would be helpful.

T

I'd consult the Gods myself right now, if I weren't fresh out of Virgins. Damn! And I was considering using Fedex to send a Tiki from Hawaii to my cousin in Calif.
Volly balls!!!

[ Edited by: HelloTiki 2006-02-22 08:19 ]

B

Thanks everyone and yes I have just about lost my mind, Very distressing to the point I don't want to ship ANY More Big carvings. I shipped it through my wifes account at work, prepared a leble and just dropped it off at a Kinkos. So I don't know what that all means. I just feel like that old comic panel that shows a poor man with a giant screw through his body.

I'm deadly serious when I say this: If this situation isn't resolved to your satifaction, Ben, I'll never use FedEx again and I'll tell everyone I know about it and encourage them to use ANYONE but FedEx as well. I have a business account with FedEx that I'll promtly cancel AND I'll be sure they know WHY I canceled it. The shipping industry is far too competitive to have to put up with this kind of BS. I imagine we here at TC could choke their customer service lines in heartbeat if that's what it takes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

On 2006-02-22 15:25, SilverLine wrote:

... I'm deadly serious when I say this...I'll never use FedEx again and I'll tell everyone I know about it and encourage them to use ANYONE but FedEx as well. I have a business account with FedEx that I'll promtly cancel...

... well, you'll find the same issues with dhl, ups, california overnight, yellow, hesco, lightning express... you name it... like with other uncontrollables, victory is oft times indifference...

... swore years ago that ups would never ship another item after losing an important shipment to a client... in fact, ups and fedex remain a first choice as the reliability of these operations is better than that of countless other carriers...

... when it come to shipping, emotions will not get the product back safely (and threats rarely work unless you're a multi-billion dollar corporation/army), rather, a rational attempt to have the item tracked and returned (or safe shipment expedited) is the best option. If the item was insured then all the better... if not, so what... any day above ground is a good one...

... with luck, the item will either be delivered safely to the target destination or will be returned safely to the point of shipping... best wishes, of course... everyone looks forward a successful outcome...

B

Thanks again everyone for your support. Silverline thanks, might be nice if needed but right now we will settle down and concentrate our efforts on getting the full refund due us. Now down the road if it gets nasty, then is when we can bring out the Nasty Guns and make a small part of their lives think about the little guy.
I will try to keep this updated.
Thanks again.
Benzart

H
hewey posted on Thu, Feb 23, 2006 4:18 AM

Man this bites so bad. It would suck so much to lose a piece worht so much. Obviously the $$$$ value, but the emotional vale I know Benz pours into his work. To have some company lose/damage a piece just cause they havent got their stuff together. It sucks.

B

HOLD THE FORT, STOP THE PRESSES Last night I tried to reach the Lewisberry office who had the last entry in the tracking log. Could not get anywhewre.
This morning I called FedEx again and asked to speak to someone in the Lewisberry office and thay said we have no phone Public listings, what is this in reguards to. I gave the tracking # again and said I just wanted to find outn what happened to the package. The person said it was damaged and discarded. I said, then PLease let me talk to the office who had the remains. Finally I was transferredthrough 3 more places and Finally spoke to a Real live person in the Lewisberry office. Her name was Peggy and I gave her the tracking # and she asked me to describe the contents. I gave her a description of the tiki and she said " It's RIGHT HERE" "Part of the lable came off and they could no longer track it andthe carving was so nice I Knew someone would call.."
After all that The package is Finally, once again on it's way to his new home. I will believe it when Foamy see's it but I almost cried.
Thanks everyone for not letting me give up!!!

What incredibly good news!!! I am so thrilled for you!!! I'm going to be smiling all day.

T

WOW Great to hear. And what a great story to tell at the next tiki event. Because of its outcome.

RAD! Great news Benz. This story was really bummin' me out cause I do a lot of shipping too and hate that kind of crap.
Glad nobody lit a premature fuse.
Chongolio

B

Thanks to all. You don't know how increditably happy I am, or at least Will be when the tiki is Home safe and sound. I still can't believe it . From one person saying it is Damaged and discarded to the next person sayingYep, It' right here waiting for someone to call. I am So glad I didn't quit on him.

Jungle Digger happy too.

Tikis are too good to be shipped.

Happy Happy Happy

J

Fed ex must have thought they would be cursed if they kept it or discarded it, so mysteriously it was un-destroyed and un-damaged and un-lost the moment you called the location. Further proof of the Brady Bunch Tiki superstition continuation. This time in a positive way. :)
JP

Ah yes, The Lewisberry Gambit.

I'm so glad that the tiki's back on his way again. He probably needed to protect Peggy's office for a day or two. Probably fate.

As a computer programmer, it still infuriates me that they don't have enough codes to represent the status of the package. "Damaged and Discarded"? That's so lame. Do they actually lose so many packages that they can only handle one catch-all code to pass on to the customers? Any competent piece of software would allow a code for "Address unreadable - Hold for 30 days", or somesuch. Urggh, that's inane.

Also, as someone who ships packages every day, I've learned to cover a shipping label with clear packing tape - they sometimes rub off otherwise. Personally, I like to write on the package with permanent markers - but I know Fedex makes it hard to do either.

I'm proud of your persistence, Ben.

Sabu

Pages: 1 2 79 replies