Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

passion fruit syrup vs. passion fruit juice

Pages: 1 32 replies

Anybody have any idea how much stronger, thicker, sweeter passion fruit syrup is vs. passion fruit juice? Can you boil down the juice and get syrup?

J
JTD posted on Mon, May 8, 2006 8:16 AM

Pappy,
It's like the difference between Hershey's chocolate syrup and chocolate milk. I doubt it's worth the time and effort to even bother trying to reverse engineer.

JTD

P

Passion fruit syrup is sweeter and tastes more artificial than passion fruit juice or nectar. Few passion fruit syrups contain much or any real passion fruit. Which one you use depends a lot on the drink you are mixing and the effect you want to get. They are not interchangeable.

Most juices can be boiled down to a syrup, sort of. It depends on the quality of the juice you are starting with. You usually need to add quite a bit of sugar to actually get up to a syrup stage and not just a concentrated juice.

However.... There are less obvious sources for syrups and juices: Try your local asian markets. We have found a wealth of syrups at our local Indian and Pakistani stores. Basically, try any of your ethnic markets, you may be surprised.

Maybe it's my thick head or maybe it's the cheapskate in me but I'm gonna try boiling some down. I'll have results tonight unless I die in a pasion fruit calamity...

I took 32 oz of Goya Passion Fruit juice and simmered it. I added 1/2 cup of sugar and slowly boiled it down to about 8oz. Then, I boiled one of the original bottles (16 oz) and poured the hot "syrup" back in. I'll try to give my honest take on whether it's anything like Trader Vic's. I'll try some in a Mara Amu this week.

K

Yes, it is possible, and I do it all the time. It is cheaper than the artificial stuff, tastes far better, and it is frankly very easy.

I buy this passion fruit juice cocktail in a carton at the grocery. It is a common brand like Minute Maid or something like that (I know it when I see it). Anyway, my thinking is that the syrup I can buy contains zero passion fruit, this juice drink is about 70% white grape juice (aka sugar water) and 30% passion fruit juice/pulp. So by using it, I am getting a product with much more passion fruit than the zero count in the commercial stuff.

I pour the whole carton into a pot on the stove and turn up the heat. Let it reduce by one third, add 3/4 to one pound of high quality white sugar, stir until disolved. Funnel into a bottle, add 4 oz of white rum (preservative), shake, cool, store in the refrigerator.

I can buy the fake stuff, and I have. But nothing comes close to this recipe for the passion fruit flavor quotient, the orangey color, and the fragrance.

Your recipe using all passion fruit juice should work out similarly. Most passion fruit juices are blends or contain water anyway. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Ahu

I think my first recipe needed more sugar. Otherwise it was great and great fun. Here's my final version:

2 16oz bottles Goya Passion Fruit Juice
3/4 to 1 cup sugar (depends on your taste)

Simmer all 32 oz juice slowly over low heat. When good and hot, add sugar stirring carefully so you don't splash yourself with hot juice. Make sure all sugar dissolves. Once about juice is reduced by 3/4 (8 oz left)shut off stove. Prepare one of the empty bottles by sterilizing it and the cap. (I just put it in a big pot and poured boiling water in it.) While syrup is still hot, pour in bottle and cap. It should have a nice orangy-brown color. Enjoy!

J
JTD posted on Fri, May 12, 2006 12:50 PM

Pappy,
I'm sorry I ever doubted you. haha. I'm going to give that a whirl.
Thanks,
JTD

T

Where is a good place to buy passion fruit nectar in the L.A./Orange County area? I've looked in Mexican, Middle Eastern, and Asian markets like 99 Ranch Market and haven't been able to find Goya, Looza, or any other brand anywhere. Do Indian markets carry passion fruit nectar? Where do the Purple Orchid or Tiki-Ti get their passion fruit nectar from?

Mahalo for any help!

P

Finest Call brand makes a passion fruit puree that is a little thicker than passion fruit juice but works great. Finest Call is available at BevMo usually. Ralph's (supermarket) carries a brand of fruit juices and nectars called CERES (comes in a box) and their passion fruit juice is excellent.

T

On 2006-09-11 20:28, PiPhiRho wrote:
Ralph's (supermarket) carries a brand of fruit juices and nectars called CERES (comes in a box) and their passion fruit juice is excellent.

Found Ceres passion fruit juice at a larger Ralphs. It comes in a 33.8oz box for $3.39 and is 100% juice. The ingredients listed passion fruit juice, apple or pear juice. It comes from South Africa.

Found Goya Passion fruit nectar in a can at Valu Plus Food Warehouse supermarket. It contains 8% fruit juice and 92% sugar water. It was .69 per can.

http://www.goya.com/english/products/product.html?prodSubCatID=16&prodCatID=5

Kerns nectars seem to run 12 - 32% fruit juice.

The Goya nectars are not located next to Kerns and Jumex nectars, they are on completely different isles.

P

Ceres is good stuff. All their juices are excellent, though boxed. We find them here at our health food markets. A little more expensive but available all the time.

ASININITY NE PLUS ULTRA!!
(with a nice ver blanc and some sherry)

A

As a side note, I discovered two different Trader Vic's recipes for the same drink, Foul Weather, one using passion fruit syrup and the other using passion fruit nectar.

In "Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide" (1972) the recipe is:

-1 oz orange juice
-1 oz lemon juice
-1/2 oz passion fruit nectar
-1 dash vanilla
-1 dash sugar syrup
-1 oz Jamaica rum
-1 oz light Puerto Rican rum

Pour over ice in a tall highball glass. Sir well. Decorate with fresh mint and a fruit stick.

The recipe for this cocktail on TV's web site is the same, except that it calls for 1 oz passion fruit syrup rather than the nectar.

[ Edited by: arriano 2007-02-10 13:54 ]

My local stupid-markets both cary Goya products . . . but no passion fruit juice or nectar. I'm going to head into a nearby 'ethnic' area to check their local Mom & Pop Grocery . . . but I'll have to be armed for that!

M

I follow KuKuAhu's method for producing syrup most of the year when actual passion fruits are out of season.

If you have the gumption, and you see that passion fruits are in season and at your local market, may I suggest this method (the flavor from fresh fruits is AMAZING and Deep - you've got to try it at least once).

Software:

8-10 Passion Fruits
2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Water
2 oz Rum (for preservative)
Hardware:

Metal Mesh Sieve
Bowl (with pouring spout if available: I use a pyrex 48-cup measuring bowl w/spout.)
Spoon
Knife (serrated)

Method:

Place sieve over Bowl.
Cut each Passion fruit in half lengthwise, scoop out the 'guts' and seeds into the sieve.
Using your spoon, press/rub the (gross, slimy) 'guts' and seeds against the metal mesh. The juice/nectar should seep through and land in your bowl.
When you are tired of rubbing/pressing, place the contraption to the side while you prepare your simple syrup.
Prepare simple syrup as normal (not included here, cause if you're going to make this recipe, you know how to do your simple syrup blindfolded).
Right after the syrup boils and you remove it from the heat, Add the Passion fruit nectar from the bowl into the syrup and stir well.
Add your rum (if you like) to preserve.
Discard the spent slime and seeds from the sieve.

This method is quite pricey - Passion Fruits are not the cheapest fruit you can find, and the amount of juice/nectar they release is not great.

However, for that special cocktail on that special occasion you can't go wrong with the real deal hand-made.

-=C

I finally found Goya brand Passion Fruit Tropical beverage whose ingredients are, in order: Water, Sugar, Passion Fruit Pulp, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid(Vitamin C) and Acacia Gum.
I think I'll try pappythesailor's final version . . . as soon as I read here his verdict on how it turned out. Evidently, my local Winn-Dixie always had the Passion Fruit Juice . . . but displayed it Spanish-Label Out. How was I supposed to know what 'Maracuya' was? I guess it's part of MY job as a customer to rotate Goya labels occasionally until I can understand them. Sort of like having to "Press '1'" for English . . . And, never having seen an actual Passion Fruit I didn't recognize it on the label. But that's all changed now . . . now I'm Edgemacated!

We use perfect puree's passion fruit. 100% passion fruit concentrate. It's culinary grade so it's a bit spendy. I have several restaurants and use a lot of their products. I can get more info if you want. It's the best I can find. http://www.perfectpuree.com Other than using fresh fruit I would love to know if there is something better. Love the recipes you have worked up, lot's of passion!

Hangman, I've been kicking around every gourmet shop and supermarket in town and I still haven't found any passion fruit juice or nectar to make my own syrup. Completely frantic now to make a proper Don the Beachcomber Zombie, I finally used the very Goya product you mentioned. I followed Beachbum's recipe but instead of one ounce of passion fruit syrup, I used two ounces of the Goya passion fruit beverage.

The Zombies were great, and so different from what I expected (a super-boozy drunkfest). The balance of ingredients in this recipe is so perfect that the rums never overpower the fruits and the passion fruit steps up with a lovely zing.

I made them using my IKEA Groggy ice crusher for the first time and the crushed ice really made a difference, too, so pleasant and frosty.

Status Report:

As of right now TV's website does not actually have the food ordering capability -- when you click there, you get the "Under Construction" non-entity.

I ordered their Orgeat from there a long while ago and the fifth-sized bottle has been lasting me well, but with our Mai Tai consumption lately, I will need to order again. And I still want the passionfruit syrup. Has anyone been able to order through TV's phone line? When I call it doesn't seem to go anywhere that sounds like customer service.

On the other hand, I put an order through Surfa's website (www.surfasonline.com) and they were great -- fast, efficient and reasonable prices. They have the Fee Brothers line, if, like me, you also do the vintage cocktails and need the bitters, falernum, etc. Their Asian products include coconut milk powder which I'm going to play with. But they only have the Monin syrups which I've been told are contra-indicated.

About a month ago I 'stocked up' on Torani Orgeat(3 bottles) and ordered one bottle of their Passion Fruit Syrup - just to try. I've experienced the same problems with the TV website - so I get my syrups on-line from http://www.marlowescoffee.com when I need them and make my own 'Rock Candy Syrup'. Have yet to attempt Pappy's recipe . . . but I have all the makings . . . just need to find the time.
:drink:

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2007-02-18 09:46 ]

M
Mytah posted on Mon, Feb 19, 2007 2:15 PM

I've recently contacted TV about thier defunct web pages and these are the replies I recieved.

It is temporarily closed while we design a new shopping cart. You can order by phone.

Regards,

Gail Barber
Customer Service
Trader Vic’s Gourmet
(877) 762-4824 x 221

The website should be back soon. I only have a rough list of the products – I can fax it to you if you will give me your fax number.

Thanks,
Gail

S

I just finished making 2 batches of Passion Fruit Syrup using a couple brands of "Passion Fruit Nectar." I must state that I have never had passion fruit syrup of any kind, but I knew I wanted some for Tiki drinks. I proceeded with the thought that if it tastes good then it is good. So don't consider me an expert on passion fruit syrup.

The first I tried was Looza Passion Fruit Nectar, which comes in a tall, 1-liter bottle. This is a product of Belgium, and the ingredients are: water, concentrated passion fruit juice and sugar. It's 25% juice. I got it at a local specialty food store for $2.98. You can see a bottle here.

I actually purchased this several weeks ago, and by last night it had settled. That is, the bottom 1/3 was a sediment of sorts, while that top 2/3 looked kinda like a slightly dark but clear juice. I figured that the bottom "sediment" was all the passion fruit juice while the top was the added sugar water, so I carefully siphoned off the top half leaving the sediment portion.

Then I shook the sediment side, and tasted the two. I made the right choice - the top juice was quite artificial-tasting, while the sediment portion over-flowed with taste and tasted much less artificial. I really should have siphoned off ALL of the juice portion, leaving just the potent sediment. Oh well, live and learn. I did throw out the "juice" half, though it might have made for a fruity sugar syrup. Yeah, I should have saved it.

I heated this slightly in a pan, and added 2 cups of Domino table sugar. I then raised the flame to simmer it to reduce it. I made a big mistake in this process - I let the flame go for a moment, and came back to find it boiling. The most it could have gone was a minute but it seemed to be enough to caramelize the sugar a bit. But I simmered it for a while and reduced it, and it yielded 16 oz. I then added 2 oz of Flor De Cana Extra Dry 4-year-old rum as a preservative - that's what I had handy and it's going into rum drinks anyway.

The end result was very very good - given that I've never had passion fruit syrup before. It barely tasted artificial, thanks in part to it's original juice and the use of table sugar. It is very sweet, at about 1:1 sugar-to-juice. I can imagine that making it from actual passion fruits would be better, but I'm very happy with the end result.

Lessons learned: siphon off all the juice portion leaving just the sediment. If I'd done this I never would have needed to reduce it, and I think I would have removed almost all of the artificial taste of this juice. Also, I should have used an organic cane sugar, which probably also would have reduced the artificial taste. I definitely should have reduced the juice before adding the sugar. Lastly, I probably should have used Cruzan light rum as a preservative, since that would have been a better match than the Flor De Cana Extra Dry.

Next up I tried Ceres Passion Fruit, a product of South Africa which comes in a 1-liter waxed carton. This contains 100% Fruit Juice, and the ingredients are: passion fruit juice, apple and/or pear juice. I got mine at my local Shaw's Supermarket for $3.29 I think. I did see this in one of the local organic/natural food stores - but I can't remember if it was Trader Joe's or Whole Foods Markets. You can see a picture of it here.

I shook and tasted this before continuing, comparing it to the Looza. While it was much less artificial-tasting there was something else going on. It was a touch tart, and I could distinctly taste the other juices in this. It was not as "passiony" as the Looza sediment portion, but this was not a surprise after siphoning the Looza. All in all it's a bit of a trade-off with these two - the Looza had a stronger passion fruit taste, but was somewhat artificial, while the Ceres tasted more natural but the other juices made it a little odd.

I washed and rinsed the Looza bottle and poured the Ceres into it, hoping that it would settle like the Looza. 24 hours later it did not look like it was going to settle any time soon, though a week might have done it. I didn't want to wait since I wanted a good comparison, so I proceeded making the Ceres-based passion fruit syrup.

The entire liter went into a pot, and I simmmered until it was reduced by one-half. I occasionally emptied the pot into a Pyrex measuring cup, and finally lost patience at 17 oz. I then added 2 cups of Domino Organic Sugar, labeled as Cane Sugar. I mixed that in until it was completely dissolved. It yielded 23 oz, and I added 2 oz of the Flor De Cana as a preservative.

Cooled on a spoon I tasted it, and those other juices were still noticable. It was also very very good, but just a touch odd because of those other juices.

In the end, the mix made with the Looza was slightly better. Either was definitely acceptable. But a mix of the Looza without my mistakes would be a clear winner. Though if I had only Ceres available I would transfer it to a glass bottle and wait to see if it would settle and leave the passion fruit distinct from the other juices. If the Ceres settled like the Looza then I thnk it would be too close to call.

So, here's my recipe for making Passion Fruit Syrup:

1 Liter Looza Passion Fruit Nectar
1.5 cups organic cane sugar

Let the Looza settle for a while, until the sediment is quite distinct from the clear juice. Siphon off as much of the clear juice as possible. Heat the passion fruit "sediment" portion very slightly, and add the sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Let it cool, and add 2 oz of vodka or light rum as a preservative. Total cost is about $5 for 16 oz.

[ Edited by: Scottes 2007-02-19 15:42 ]

Thanks, Mytah and Scottes!

Right now I'm up here in NYC and while the stores I frequent carry plenty of Ceres and Looza products, darn if the Passion Fruit is NOT among them -- and I've visited Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Westerly, Amish Market -- what's the deal with the Northeast and passion fruit, I wonder? Back to the Goya can until my TV order gets here.

S

TraderPeg, you might want to try pouring the Goya into a glass jar and seeing if it settles. Waiting for the Looza to settle did wonders for the final taste, I'm sure.

Oh, I have seen the Ceres passion fruit in every Shaw's market I checked. I don't know if Shaw's are near you, or if you have another supermarket with a good selection of international and/or organic foods, but it's worth checking. The ingredients on the Goya products don't impress me very much at all - I think it's worth looking for a higher amount of juice. And not in cans. Blech.

[ Edited by: Scottes 2007-02-19 18:07 ]

I just noticed that I can get fresh Passion Fruit at my local Stupidmarket. I wonder, would Melintur's method work with a juicing machine (Juceman Ultra) without going through the laborious hand work? I mean, scoop out all the guts and seeds and feed them into the juicer . . . then carry on from there.

Made a batch of Passion Fruit Syrup. I thought it came out very nice. Here's what I did..

I reduced and simmered 2 half gallons of Minute Maid's Passion Fruit Juice. I had to do this in batches because my pan wouldn't hold it all. I reduced it by half, until it was a nice orange color. I then combined all my liquid and brought to another 10 minute simmer. Removed from heat, and poured into a plastic bowl. I added some sugar(about a half a cup) Minute Maid already had loads of sugar in there.

I added 2oz of a Orange Liquor. I only used that because I wanted to finish, so I could use the bottle. It's a nice Jeannie/Jim Beam looking bottle from Israel. All in all, it came out pretty good. It tool about 2 hours to reduce the gallon of juice, but should be worth it.

Cheers!

Rick

The Ceres Passionfruit nectar tastes too much like apple and pear juice to me. The Looza has more passionfruit flavor. I use it in my rum punches. I tried to get the local grocery store to stock Kern, but it fell through.

If you're lucky, go by Whole Foods--sometimes they have passionfruit. The real thing would make a great syrup.

If you want to buy a syrup, a good one is Monin. You can find it all over the net. I use it when the Bum calls for passionfruit syrup...good stuff. Monin makes a good Orgeat, too.

Just wanted to correct this recipe. Since I've tried TV's passion fruit syrup (phooey), I realized mine prob'ly wasn't sweet enough so I put twice the sugar in now. Also, now I only reduce it by half. I can't taste the difference and you save time, money and juice.

2 16oz bottles Goya Passion Fruit Juice
1 3/4 cups sugar (depends on your taste)

Simmer all 32 oz juice slowly over low heat. When good and hot, add sugar stirring carefully so you don't splash yourself with hot juice. Make sure all sugar dissolves. Once about juice is reduced by 1/2 (16 oz left)shut off stove. Prepare one of the empty bottles by sterilizing it and the cap. (I just put it in a big pot and poured boiling water in it. Don't burn yourself doing this, either.) While syrup is still hot, pour in bottle and cap. It should have a nice orangy-brown color. Enjoy!

S

Looks good, but it's better to reduce before adding the sugar. The sugar will brown/caramelize/burn at a low temperature, so you don't want to boil it. Better to boil the fruit juice alone to reduce, then add the sugar.

Whoops. Should have re-read that. Yeah. DON'T add the sugar until you reduce. It takes forever if you add the sugar first. Thanks, Scott!

The Vallarta hispanic supermarket chain in Southern California carries Goya frozen Passion Fruit pulp. (in the frozen food section) I mixed it 50/50 with simple sugar syrup and it's very tasty. I don't know the TV "old recipe" so I can't really compare it with anything.

just got the most delicious passion fruit syrup that my wife brought back from Asia: its made by Kablon Farms in the Philippines, they actually call it "passionfruit concentrate." The sole ingredients are passionfruit puree and sugar. Tastes like somebody grafted sugar cane and passionfruit vine and then tapped it straight into the bottle.

Pages: 1 32 replies