Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 279 replies

So nice.

I dig the lamps - and of course your primo-pad!

Trad'r Bill

H

Moved to Home Tiki Bars. Definitely a more than worthy addition. MadDogMike, thanks for the heads up.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2010-04-21 19:47 ]

H

Thanx, Hakalugi (and MDM)! Just realized a few days ago that there was a new (to me) home bars thread. I've been so out of the TC loop for so long, mainly because I just haven't added to/created much for the Jungalero in a while. I do have some new pics of a few upgrades and new pics of older stuff I'll have to post now that I have new incentive --gimme a day or so :D

Great look howland! makes me wish for good weather so I can get back to working on my yard area! Thank you for post these pics!!

M
Murph posted on Wed, Apr 20, 2011 2:42 PM

Anything new at the Lounge?

One of my faves...Howland rocks!!!

Congrats to Howland for the two page spread in this month's, (Jan-Feb 2012), IMBIBE magazine.

The article is on home bars and Bosco's Kapu-Tiki Room is covered as well:

W

Thanks for the tip! Off to Barnes and Noble I go!

Howland's bar is one of my favorites.

H

Thanx for the post BB! I was going to make an announcement before the mag came out or when they mailed me my copy. I didn't even know the issue was out yet, first I've seen of it. Super, guess I'll make the announcement now.

On 2011-12-28 09:16, Howland wrote:
Thanx for the post BB! I was going to make an announcement before the mag came out or when they mailed me my copy. I didn't even know the issue was out yet, first I've seen of it. Super, guess I'll make the announcement now.

Did not mean to spoil your announcement. I just wanted to share. IMBIBE is a great magazine and it's pretty cool that they included your place.

Just wanted to chime in and say what has already been said....Your place it freaking amazing!! Good Job and congrats on the the magazine spread .

H

Hey -no spoilage Bongo, I was just surprised to see it out already. Just got back from our local Barnes&Noble but they haven't arrived there yet. Taps foot patiently. Looks like they edited my interview down a bit. I emailed them at least twice the text you see on the mag page and had 2 follow up interviews over the phone. Hope it's not too bad.

Howland,

Congratulations on the magazine spread for your A+++ lounge. I can't believe they didn't send you a pre-release copy!

Looks like I need to head down to my Barnes and Noble too.

DC

How cool! And the photos actually look like good lighting, too! I really believe that with the craft cocktail revival re-inspiring Tiki culture and the economy still being on the fritz, home bars will be the main Tiki reserve where the style is celebrated and propagated throughout the country. Articles like this will help that. Now JP just has to do the book. :D

T

Checked my local B & N today they did not have the ref. new issue will keep trying ):

H

Thnx Spermy, DC, BigBro.

DustyC, Supposed to have a copy in the mailbox any day. Easing it's way from west coast to the east I guess.

Sven -yes the photographer never used a flash and I forewarned him that there would be no such activity in the bar area;) It still looks brighter than real life presence. I like and agree with your statement about home bars being the main Tiki reserve, one of my top reasons to create a home Tiki space. Yes, JP....book? Soon? I'd be honored to be in it, just as I am to be featured in the imbibe mag.

Congrats to Bosko as well for being featured in the mag. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy. I know there are so many great home bars here on TC that would've made a greater appearance than mine in imbibe but opportunity knocked and I answered. Cheers to all the other great home bars and may your day in the sun come soon!

Imbibe also featured Suzanne Long's--bar manager of Forbidden Island-home bar as well.

Glad to see so many fabulous home (tiki)bars represented! Congrats!

H

Didn't know Suzanne's bar was featured as well (I still don't have the mag yet) -congrats to Suzanne too! I did get a PDF file in my email inbox this morning from Imbibe that had a pic of the cover and the Jungalero article. Will attach. Cheers!

I'll be picking this mag up today! Congrats!!

G

Congrats Brad! Glad to see one of our own getting some well deserved exposure. I watched your home bar come together when you first started this thread. Hard to believe it's been over 5 years! Your great bar is definitely worthy of the two-page spread in Imbibe. I got my issue in the mail yesterday and flipped right to it. You should be proud! And it's great exposure for true mid-century tiki style. Would love to see your bar in person some day! Cheers...

CONGRATS...a well deserved tribute!!!

J

Major congratulations, Howland!
It must be satisfying to know that all of your hard work paid off in the form of such glorious printed, public acclaim!
The place really does look incredible, and the photographs are well done, even from viewing them small. I'm absolutely dying to get my hands on a copy!
So great that other wonderful folks like Bosko and Suzanne received some attention as well.
Yes, I have been seriously working on my 'Home Tiki Bar' book for some time now. It's funny...the deeper one gets into actual work on a book, the more one realizes how much there still is to do!!!! Every time I think I'm closer, I'm that much further away. I did put it on the back burner for a bit recently to work on certain portions of the other book I'm working on due to some exciting interest, but have plans to kick work up in a big way after the first of the year. There are still a few remaining essential pieces of the puzzle that involve some travel, but I'm hoping to have it much closer to completion very soon. As always, major thanks goes to bigbro for his positive encouragement and support. He is an incredible inspiration!

T

On 2011-12-29 08:21, Howland wrote:
Didn't know Suzanne's bar was featured as well (I still don't have the mag yet) -congrats to Suzanne too! I did get a PDF file in my email inbox this morning from Imbibe that had a pic of the cover and the Jungalero article. Will attach. Cheers!

GREAT JOB! Local B & N just got the latest issue in yesterday.
Nice to see an East Coast home Tiki bar up to such high standards!

V
virani posted on Sun, Jan 1, 2012 9:21 AM

awesome bar. I was happy to see it in my Imbibe mag. Suzanne's bar is not in it, but Bosko is.
(I think Suzanne's was only for the online version).
Congrats, well deserved 2 pages !

Amazing room! It must be so fun to show it off when people come over. Congratulations on a job very well done!!

Q

Congrats on the article. The pics are great and you should be proud of such a beautiful bar!

Cheers!

S

The article was glorious, gorgeous, and such a nice tribute to some really stunning home bars. Howland, just WOW! And Bosko, I'm drooling!

Mahalo everyone for the nice comments on my place, too! My nod was in the online version at http://www.imbibemagazine.com/Inspiring-Home-Bars

:)

Suzanne

The Black Orchid Club... the Secret of the Orchid compels you!

[ Edited by: suzanne 2012-01-16 11:22 ]

H
harro posted on Thu, May 31, 2012 5:32 AM

Hey Howland, how's it going? Congrats on the spread - I just ordered the back-issue to be shipped out to me here in Oz as I'm not sure if it's stocked in the newsstands here.

One of the best hand built home bar, patio, yard projects ever!!

Howland, I really enjoyed the build of your bar and it's looking amazing. Well deserved feature in the magazine. Congratulations.

Love, love, love your piece of paradise. Did you ever finish the waterfall?

Storm

Love, love, love your piece of paradise. Did you ever finish the waterfall?

Storm

K
KAHAKA posted on Sat, Nov 2, 2013 9:50 PM

One of my favorites. Deserves a bump up to the top every now and again.

Agreed.

PP

I just spent a good hour re-reading your post and looking at the photos and right clicking the hell out of them too!!!! love your bar and outside area so much!! I especially love your floor design!!! reminds me of the entrance way to so many houses growing up, gotta do that in my new pad!!!!!
God Ive got so many good ideas now!!!

Personally I really hate your place!

Makes mine look weak and a wanta be of your bad ass room.

Great job bother!

-Longboard

On 2014-01-23 09:15, Longboard wrote:
Personally I really hate your place!

Makes mine look weak and a wanta be of your bad ass room.

Great job bother!

-Longboard

lol I second that!!!! gonna start a FB page telling everyone how much I hate your place!!!!! Longboard can be the FB Admin of the page too, and we can all go on a drool over how much we "hate" your pad!!! "Haters gonna Hate!!"

man o man, classic and gorgeous!

PP

almost done, its all coming together

[ Edited by: Pele Paul 2014-04-17 13:06 ]

PP

oops I posted in the wrong spot sorry

[ Edited by: Pele Paul 2014-04-17 13:08 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 279 replies