Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 279 replies

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Makes me want to move and start my lounge all over again. Bravo!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 29, 2007 10:04 PM

I see a BenZart in that room...

H

On 2007-12-29 22:04, GMAN wrote:
I see a BenZart in that room...

Good eye, G. I had to do some heavy tradin' to acquire that piece---BZ#64, I believe.

C

All of your hard work has paid huge dividends Howland. Wonderful lounge,
looks like a postcard from the good old days.

Great job on the ceiling, and the couch looks really neat. Dumpster diving...I love it...I'll have a Pineapple Daiquiri please. :drink:

Hey Howland- It's looking so vintage as said - like an old postcard. You're doing a beautiful job on it.

Beautiful! Just Beautiful. How'd you get the curve in the bar?

MR

Amazing work! I love it. Home bars are what it's all about...yeah I know "it's about the people".
(People with home bars)

I agree with Matt......the home bars are fun to follow (and visit). You have done an amazing job!

Your paradise is amazing. you have a great eye for detail and I love reading/gawking at your updates.

H

Thanks for the kind replies everyone...No real update here. Just a bump for easy access for a fellow enthusiast whose name I didn't catch but gave him the link. Hell, I'll throw in a pic I took a few weeks ago at night in the backyard---really need to redo my thatch job already.
MAHALO!

Oh yea!! Carvers, carver wanabees, Bosko fans (who isn't?), tiki revelers in general--check out his link-
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27019&forum=4&1

http://www.myspace.com/bhowland

[ Edited by: howland 2008-01-18 16:25 ]

[ Edited by: Howland 2008-01-18 16:27 ]

Spectacular! Freinds of mine visited a couple of weeks ago and the reports that came back are astonishing. Great work!

S

Ms Swanky and I had the pleasure of enjoying Brad and his wife's hospitality this weekend. Got to catch up with Tiki Bob there too. The Lounge is WAY improved since we were there in September.

One sweet space!

TT

VERY nice work!

Looks great, my brotha!! U need to get that beauty Marq canoe piece you carved, hung up!! Where abouts r u from MyrtleBeach,SC??

Schweet!
Out of Control!
Can't wait to visit the East Coast now!

Once again this is way too cool!

the room looks really sensational. Looks sooo authentic - like a back street 'joint'. Love it - what a great hideout!

Hey Howland, the place is dripping with vintage atmosphere... Excellent job!

I'm just beyond jealous...in a good way! :)

If you don't mind my asking, around how much did you spend on this 'lil project? It seems to me that you're quite crafty and used a lot of faux finishing and layering to get the final effect. You couldn't have spent THAT much money since most of what I believe you did was with paint and paint is generally inexpensive. Amazing!

If you ever need a partner in crime, I'm quite the design oriented painter myself. I'd love to be a part of a project like this either helping someone else or creating my own Polynesian paradise.

Love it! So authentic looking. Not cheesy at all!
Peace,
Peter

Awesome beyond belief...truly an inspiration for those of us with white walls. :)

ZIPFIZZ!
Man Brad!
Awesome beyond Words!
if i ever get to the East coast
can i visit! You got the knack for this!
All that hard work has paid off!
Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

H
harro posted on Thu, Feb 21, 2008 4:52 AM

thanks for the bump on this thread - it gives me an excuse to go through it all again!!

great work howland, any more spectacular piccies?

noticed someone eyed a Benzart but even with my detective peepers on I couldnt spot it, and now that has me quite frustrated...

S

On 2008-02-21 04:52, harro wrote:
thanks for the bump on this thread - it gives me an excuse to go through it all again!!

great work howland, any more spectacular piccies?

noticed someone eyed a Benzart but even with my detective peepers on I couldnt spot it, and now that has me quite frustrated...

I'll help:

H

Many thanx for all the great comps from the great ohana!

Freddieballs: I'm in Folly Beach--about 2 hours south of Myrtle Beach. The marq canoe is sittting around, waiting to be hung still.

LLT, come on down--errr, over and then down. gotta seat at the bar saved for ya.

lookin' good on your end too, tikitrav.

Thanx, Tiki Diablo. this place could use a TD carve sitting in the corner.

Thanx, jpmd. It is a pretty good hideout--somehow she manages to find me down there every time, though :wink:

Sam G--old school rules! no 'new tiki' for me--unless it gets smuggled in somehow--it's happened before. (the 'gift bearers')

DejaVoo- I can't really give you an accurate figure but the majority of the cost was lumber, 2x's, OSB, etc. like for walls, bar frame, etc. which I'd have purchased anyway -tiki room or not. Harvested all my own bamboo, bought mismixed paints from Slowe's, garage sale, flea markt, resale store furnishings---there's so many ways to make it happen in a low budget manner.

Thanx, VRN--just say NO to white walls....and ceilings.....and light switch covers.....and doors....and--so on.

LLT, still waiting....

Thanx Harro. I 'lost' a camera a few weeks ago but just got a new one and am still trying to find the sweet-shot buttons-but I do have a trio of new pics for you coming up.

BIG thanks to Swanky and his 'fee-yon-say' for making the drive down the mountain for a visit last weekend and hooking me up with this Xtra sweet shell lamp crafted in a joint effort by the Swanky family. Fine job, I must say and it looks awesome hanging in the Jungalero Room--I may have to move it to a more prominent spot eventually. The thing is BIG, too. If you ask reeeal nice, the Swankys may be able to hook you up too....? Enjoyed you guys company again and thanks for introducing me to TikiBob---super cool guy with an awesome vintage car collection. Come see us!!!

This pic may be a little brighter than the room is in reality. Notice the absolutely kick-a$$ shell lamp from Swanky in the top left corner.

Practically the same shot as above--trying to get a real sense of the lighting-maybe closer--maybe too dark-

Another view of the shell lamp.

Thanks fer peepin'

T

Just stumbled onto this thread for the first time today.

Speechless.

On 2008-03-28 07:54, tikiyaki wrote:
Just stumbled onto this thread for the first time today.

Speechless.

Me too! Makes me want to tear down my backyard bar and start over :wink:

C

Oh great! all the details you are putting in, are amazing, the room is very harmonic!!
Are you sure you are not a decorator?!! You have great talent for this!!

B

Wow Brad, It looks like you went Way above and beyond in here. Awesome rooms and pictures too!

H

Thanks Tikiyaki--be real nice to have you guys set up in the corner of the room bangin' out some nice tunes! Meanwhile, I'll just wear out my new TO CD for awhile--a great addition to the lounge CD collection!

DHDavy--don't tear anything down--just add to what you already have. (accoutrification--key word--if it's actually a word)

Thanx, Clarita--I'm SURE I'm not a decorator--just a guy with a vision--a visionary-that's sounds better than decorator to me!

Thanx, Benz--did you spot your #64 hanging on the wall in the background of one (or more) of the pix? I had to do some heavy tradin' for that with a fellow TC'er. I practically gave up a small rooms worth of mid century furniture/lighting that just didn't fit my theme anymore for that piece---glad I did! Hey you're not THAT far away, come see us if you're ever coming this way.

Mahalos to all for the comps. I'm still tweaking this place so I will eventually have updates--it'll never be finished probably, just continuously improved upon....(hopefully)

Till next time...
Brad's clockin' out

B

Hey Brad, I Di spot it and wondered how you ended up with it. I Hope you didn't trade Too much for it, although he looks great where he is now. Again your work there is Incredible and you have probably one of the Nicest home lounges around. Yes you Are fairly close and we just may visit you one of these days. How far are you from Birmingham Al? We visit our son there a couple times a year and may expand a trip??

C

Oh sorry I didn't meant to offend you :)
you are a guy with a vision a great great great vision!!

H

On 2008-04-04 08:46, Clarita wrote:
Oh sorry I didn't meant to offend you :)
you are a guy with a vision a great great great vision!!

Not offended by any means, Clarita-you are always generous with kind compliments :) :) :)

H

A little update on the Jungalero Lounge:
a shot of the lanai-gotta kill that white door trim soon!

A shot from the other side showing the grill--now we're cookin' with gas! (although I prefer wood)

A new lamp I made

A nice shot of the stairwell nook coming from the upper deck, the creeping fig is filling in nicely.

A lauhala and bamboo outrigger (ebay score--4 $!-cost more to ship it)

That's all for now. Maybe I'll pick up some goods from Hukilau and update then. Mahalo for peepin'
Brad

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-09 12:17 ]

M
Murph posted on Mon, Jun 9, 2008 12:44 PM

Damn, Can I come live with you? :D

As always, I'm extremely jealous of your set-up. I love the new lamp...very trader-esque. I'm always waiting for your thread to be updated( so I can steal more of your ideas!) Seriously good work man.

BS

so luxurious!!! Indoors and out, wow.

It just gets better and better...you are really an inspiration. :tiki:

Sigh!

G

Wow! Just stumbled into your tiki mecca via the follynesia site. It's great to see the process from the beginning! You've inspired me to continue on with my own little piece of paradise! Thanks!

H

Mucho Maholos, everybody!
Dang, Gilligan-I was scrolling back through the pages to find this old thread, apparently as you were posting your reply -couldn't find it so I did a search and it was at the top of the list. Thanks for checking in.

Just threw together a new sconce. I made it out of a horseshoe crab shell I found on the beach. Never seen one in any tiki establishment, old or new, but I thought it would fit in nicely. Kinda has the same effect as the turtle shell sconces at the Mai Kai. I don't care for the cord hanging down but I will eventually mount it to the wall where the cord will be on the other side of the wall in my shop space.

A shot with flash so you can see the nice, barnacle encrusted surface of the shell:

The backside. I 'liquid nails-ed' some wire to the shell then threaded it through some holes I punched in a half of an aluminum can. I used a candelabra clip-on type lamp fixture, mounted in a hole on bottom of can.

Creates a nice, reddish glow even though the shell appears brown and I'm using a clear bulb:

Thanks fer peepin'
Brad

S
sungod posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 2:24 PM

A new trend in Tiki. Now everyone will have to have one. Nice job.

F
Fugu posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 2:59 PM

The horseshoe crab sconce is very cool! Nice work. It looks great in your amazing lounge.

Great idea Brad!! It has a cool glow to it.

B

eah, Excellent idea and perfect job putting it together. What wattage is the bulb,it is just right. Great step by step now everyone will be wanting one for sure. Man, it just fits Perfectly where you put it too, DAYUUM!

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 3:43 PM

I think it is totally tiki. I think I like it better than the poor puffer.

Get a look at these http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=134897919&albumId=731561

T

Awesome idea.

Some more horseshoe crab art.
http://www.sideshowworld.com/SSA-15.html

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 279 replies