Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 279 replies

H
harro posted on Thu, Sep 13, 2007 7:59 AM

top stuff - what a cool pad!
just went through the entire thread again... you're a busy man - keep it up!

H

FreddieB--Thanks, bro!

LLT- Thanks to you also--I can't wait to see it finished either! :)

Mucho Thanxo-Tiki Diablo!

Thanx Clarita--always good to hear from you!

Gator Rob-many mahalos for the impressive comparisons and especially the "far better than most of the new Vic's" comment--I'm diggin' it.

Sam--thanks for the comps! You're welcome to come hang out anytime!

Thanks, Harro---very busy indeed but I'm taking me a few days off from all forms of work type stuff for now.--I need a break!

Next step, I believe, will be a stone with grout lines type paint job on the floor and then design/build the bar so I can get busy with some R-n-R!!! I still need to pimp my fish tank out too.

Stay tuned--more on the way. After my mini vacation.

Okay...Every so often somebody comes along that totally "gets it" and has the passion and resourcefulness to match. Brad is one of these. Me and Swanky were walking through this very Lanai and Tiki room- under-construction the other day and saying at every angle: "Man, this is a first class job!" That's having seen between the two of us a lot, and I mean a lot of home tiki bars. And everybody knows what a snob I am. This one is true-to-form classic tiki in every way. Brad, you're old school, man. Top knotch all the way. No cutting style or form corners or settling for "It'll do" or some half-assed mixture in that bar-just take a walk through and you can see. Pure as driven snow. You're in my top ten home bars all the way! It was a pleasure hanging with you and Elisha and thanks for setting up the deal with Ken on the place to stay. Swanky, Steph, you know I'll be all up in your grill at some date soon. It was a lot of fun.

H

MEGA mahalos for the compliments, BK! Glad ya'll were able to come to the coast for a few days and hang with us. It was a mighty fine time. Tell Nikki and Lea we said hello and arf-arf! Swank and Steph are mighy fine folks too.

All of my inspiration for this project has come from vintage postcards and other ephemera and I'm trying to stay true to that vibe. No new school here. OLD SCHOOL RULZ!!! The only new stuff going in here (if I can help it) is reproductions of vintage accoutrements and what-not. Shooting for the mid-century tiki/trader look.

TODAYS UPDATE--sorry, no pics yet--- I taped off my 'grout lines' with duct tape and painted the floor with a heavy-duty, oil-based garage floor paint. I used gloss black with a little hunter green thrown in to soften the starkness a little. The gloss gives it a sort of wet look and catches reflections of the lights over head. I'll pull the tape off tommorrow if it's dry and hopefully post some pics.
Mahalos, Ya'll!!

H

Got my floor paint job done--took a little longer than I had anticipated, partially due to humidity and/or rain, but I think I'm happy with the final result. I took a roll of duct tape, made a deep cut with a utility knife down the center of the roll so's to have 1in. to 1&1/4 in. width tape. Laid the tape down on the floor in a grout line kinda pattern--hit it with some black garage floor paint (with a smidge of dark green mixed in). Pulled the tape off when the paint dried--here's a few progress shots:

grout pattern with split duct tape on bare concrete here. I tried to use some strategy in covering up my stains and spills with the dark paint and running my grout lines where there weren't any nasty spots:

here's after tape was pulled--too much conrast, I thought. The concrete areas (grout lines) looked to bright/white/contrasty, so I eventually covered the whole floor with a mixture of the floor paint and some paint thinner to darken the grout line areas.

Also started laying out the bar here. It's gonna be a curved bar with a bamboo front:

Getting into the vibe---just laying some stuff out, playing with colored light bulbs again--seeing where what's gonna work where and so on. As i come closer to 'being finished' time, things will probably have been moved around even more.

Here's another shot, while I'm shootin':

I'll be getting on the bar project in a couple days maybe ---so stay tuned!
Mahalos to all
BH

Nice! Almost there brad! looking better and better each post!
If i'm ever passing thru Mayberry-by-the-sea, I'm definitely stopping by for
a MaiTai and the Grand Tour!

H

On 2007-09-22 22:02, little lost tiki wrote:
Nice! Almost there brad! looking better and better each post!
If i'm ever passing thru Mayberry-by-the-sea, I'm definitely stopping by for
a MaiTai and the Grand Tour!

Thanx, bruvva! The drinks are on me and I may even be able to fold you out a cot in the Jungalero Lounge/Room.... for a trade for something that has skulls for eyes!!

Inspiring work. Love everything but aren't you afraid of fire with that torch?

H

Thanx, Paps. The torch won't stay-I just stuck it in the flower pot for a little extra light while I was taking pics.

Your lounge is over-the-top. You really have a special talent of making your visions come true and it is looking like a step back in time for sure. I like the darkness, the stamps turned out great and the floor turned out fabulous. Thanks for posting pictures along the way, I envy your ambitiousness. :D

Howland, this thread is very inspiring. Can you clarify for me what exactly you did to get the "grout" lines to look darker? I'm amazed by the results of using just paint and duct tape. Our own home bar project is finally about to start and I've been using this shot from the Mai-Kai for my own inspiration:

For the floor, we're wanting to get that slate look, but slate is expensive, so you're giving me the idea to look into just painting the floor. And torching the boo and spraying the walls to give it that aged nicotine look is definitely the way to go.

Keep the pics coming! Can't wait to see more.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2007-09-23 11:48 ]

That is a good inspirational picture Gator. I wish I could have something that looks like that, but my lounge is open to the rest of my house and it wouldn't match. The floor in there looks pretty neat. I eventually want to do something like that to part of my garage, so I am interested in how the floor is done. I previously researched concrete floor treatments and will probably get mine painted too. I do park my car in the garage though and would hate to paint something that lifts off on the tires or gets scratched off by chair legs, etc. The grout affect is interesting indeed...plus the darkness of Howland's floor really makes the rest of the room look very well aged.

Brad you have respect for the real thing; no settling. Resourcefulness! VRN- "I wish I could have something that looks like that, but my lounge is open to the rest of my house and it wouldn't match." I personally believe in this approach: "I wish I could have something that looks like that with my house, but it wouldn't match my lounge". THAT'S having the right priorities!

:lol: Well of course you are right. I am kinda of in that eclectic mood...various themes throughout the house, so just doing the best I can to blend it all. It is (hard to almost impossible) to find someone in my neck of the woods to do work at my house...so I have plenty of time to try to envision what would look good. This thread is totally a knock-out, as are a few other home bars that folks post. It is so helpful to see how people do their lounges from start to finish.

Howland you have quite the talent!!!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Sep 23, 2007 10:25 PM

Awesome looking tiki room Howland! GROG like.

[ Edited by: grog 2007-09-23 22:27 ]

C

Great progress love the floor!

H

On 2007-09-23 11:47, GatorRob wrote:
Can you clarify for me what exactly you did to get the "grout" lines to look darker? I'm amazed by the results of using just paint and duct tape. Our own home bar project is finally about to start and I've been using this shot from the Mai-Kai for my own inspiration:

For the floor, we're wanting to get that slate look, but slate is expensive, so you're giving me the idea to look into just painting the floor. And torching the boo and spraying the walls to give it that aged nicotine look is definitely the way to go.

Keep the pics coming! Can't wait to see more.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2007-09-23 11:48 ]

Hey GatorRob--when I saw how white my grout lines looked, I just mixed some of the floor paint w/some mineral spirits to thin it out a bit, then just painted the entire floor over with it. It made the 'grout' lines a good bit darker but didn't seem to affect the 'stone' portions of the floor since they were already very dark. I'm guessin' I ended up using about a half-n-half mixture of paint/spirits. I experimented on the area behind the bar to get it right. It dries to alot lighter of a color than when it's wet so it's good to have an area you can run some tests on (and let them dry) before you start doing the whole floor--another option would be to paint the whole floor to the desired grout color THEN do the tape/stonepaint. I've gazed over many Mai Kai pics for my inspiration too.

On 2007-09-23 13:57, VampiressRN wrote:
I do park my car in the garage though and would hate to paint something that lifts off on the tires or gets scratched off by chair legs, etc. T

Thanx VRN- the paint I used is made for garage floors and it's supposed to be superduper durable and resistant to all kinds of spills and stuff --so far-so good. You can get it at any DIY or hardware store but your color palette is very limited--no Martha Stewart or Ralph Lauren shades with this stuff.

Thanx for the props, BK and Clarita. Brad glad Grog like, too!

Have had a little time to put the bar together. Still undecided about what to do with the top and what to do for the outer edge of the top. I've got a few ideas--just haven't weeded out the good from the bad ideas yet.

Here's some shots.

painted so wood wouldn't show through between bamboo

you can kinda see where I made a section of the bar top that folds out of the way and you can push the door open that's mounted on spring hinges to get behind the bar.

Here's a better shot of hinged top and door under it.

with bamboo applied with nail gun and a couple a' beads of liquid nails.

Set my backbar aquarium up last night too. Still need some fish or some little mermaids would be extra nice :)

OK-on to phase 2,837 now :lol:
Thanks fer lookin' and I'll be back with you shawtly.

Formerly known as 'Surf-N-Turf'
http://www.myspace.com/bhowland

[ Edited by: Howland 2007-10-03 19:41 ]

BRAVO MR. HOWLAND!
the bar is snazzing up well! In MUGOOMBA at TikiFarm,Holden just put various mugs in the aquariums! great place for them to wander and hide! Your junglaroo is gettin MAGICKER by the minute! what talent and perserverance you have!!!!

BS

Wow, good lookin' lounge, very nicely put together. Can't wait to see it all decorated.

A note on floor paints:
#1: buy the best stuff you can find, I like Kelly-Moore. Use an epoxy if you can get your hands on it.
#2: follow the directions closely and do all the prep work, this involves some throrough cleaning.
#3: if using a latex, let it dry for the full time, usually about 30 days, before getting any liquid on it. That especially includes STRONG RUM DRINK. After that, it's virtually waterproof, however any undiluted alcohol should be cleaned up quickly.
#4: the nice thing about floor paint is, if it gets messed up, you just touch up that spot rather than replace the whole floor!

Oooooooh...that looks tight!!! Great bar construction too and the light is great.

Thanks to everyone for the info on the floor...I really like the way yours turned out...really looks like slate.

H

Thankos LLT! I considered dunkin' a mug or 2 in tank--that's a great idea.

Thanks Stu of the Bamboo--I did use an epoxy--TUFF STUFF! Good painterly pointers too.

Glad you're diggin' it VRN. I'm happy w/it so far.

Bula Vinaka Brad. OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!( that's Oh my goonies) soooooo super cool. once again Im completely inspired. Ive been madly working on my basement apt. just finished framing up the last room and getting the electrical in.
Ive got a couple of stupid questions about some of your techniques. Looking at your progress pics is definitely going to influence some of my design decisions.
I'M sooo doing the faux floor stone paint technique on my concrete. and thanks for the birthday wishes!!!! I will PM you with my stupid questions as to not embasase myself with my nievity. Dawn

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2007-10-05 09:43 ]

That is INSANE! Looks great! I might be asking you some questions too when I get around to working on my basement!

Craig

S

This is so gorgeous. Wow. I am speechless! Absolutely stunning work!

Suzanne

T

I'm so glad I discovered this thread. What an incredible piece of work! This is absolutely gorgeous. I especially love that faux tapa. Absolutely beautiful and a real living memorial to the old school.

That's the ticket! No more excuses for white walls! If THIS, the very first layer of the completely otherworldly environment that a Tiki haven is supposed to be, is not there, whatever comes after is weakened.

I just recommended you to my contact at Trader Vic's as cure for their new "Tiki Lite" lounges...

H

Thanx, Dawn, TF1, Suzanne, TSOX, BigBro. Didn't mean to leave you guys hanging for so long without giving mahalos for the comments.

On 2007-10-15 17:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
I just recommended you to my contact at Trader Vic's as cure for their new "Tiki Lite" lounges...

I'd be delighted to darken up the place a bit on the new TV 'Lite' establishments. Have tapa stamps...will travel!

I've been working on some lamps for the ceiling in my room. Here's one I get a kick out of.....

Here's a shot of the 'puffer-in-the-float' lamp with some other hat/basket type beachcomber lamps in the background that I've been putting together as I find the appropriate materials.

Yaaaaggggggs! Turn those lights back off! Still gotta put some boo up on the ceiling before I can put these lights where they're going to stay. They're just kinda hangin' around now.

Last but not least, here's a shot from the other direction showing the bar with lighting installed underneath, the clam shell sconce and the new puff-n-float lamp. I have a philsophy on rope lights, which I used under the bar. The device that produces the light should not be seen--only the light it produces should be seen. Rope lights just have a modern cheese (bad cheesy, as opposed to the good cheesy), disco-ey, nite club vibe to them IMO and that's not the look I'm after. I do appreciate the warm glow on the bamboo produced by the rope light though.

Back soon,
Brad

Very nice...very nice.

Very nice! It's like you're setting the mood before our eyes...

Just gorgeous Howland, nice lamp and bar!!!!!

I love everything. You rule!

Details...it's all in the details. Your home bar and the work that you've put into it is absolutely stunning.

H

Mucho thanx Matt, Sam, Sneaks, Paps and PolyN. Been a busy boy here the past couple'a days. Will post you some new looks in 2 days or so...check back soon,
Mahalo,
Brad

H

A little faux bamboo paint job on my bar edging fer ye.

Base coat

Finished w/ faux bamboo. Base coated, glazed, nodes painted, sealed and toned to make a little darker like the rest of my real bamboo. Sorry-no stepxstep pics when I was doing this, had to work fast.

Here I've placed a pile of scanned, photoed or otherwise copied and printed ephemera on the bar top. I used Modgepodge (sp?) to hold it down then the pour on resin gets poured on.

Another shot of the bar top--pre pour.

You can't really tell in this pic but the 'Pour-on' resin has been applied, dried and is good to go. You can see the reflection of the bamboo in the background of the pic on the bartop that might give you an indication of how slick, thick and shmoooov this stuff is. It's really laid on thick too-prolly close to a quarter inch thick.

Mo pics soon--got a lot done in the Jungalero Room last night to get ready for a large party this coming Sat. 12-15 so I'll get those pics up as soon as I can find the time. Tanx for looking.
Brad

[ Edited by: Howland 2007-12-14 07:33 ]

mmmmm, I can taste the drinks already. Looking good my man.

H
harro posted on Fri, Dec 14, 2007 7:47 AM

I love it when there's an update to this thread.

Another piece of quality work. Cant wait for more pics.

good luck for the inaugural shindig!

COOOOLLLLL!!!!! you are the most excellent craftsman. I havent had time to start on my built in bar yet, but I will just as soon as I get back from camping on the cook Islands. Dawn

Wow Brad, that is looking more and more bad ass every time I see it. What kind of pour on resin did you use?

S

Ha! I just emailed you on progress, and here it is! Way nice. I agree on the rope light. That's exactly how my bar will be. Weird. Split bamboo curved front with rope light under. If rope light can be dimmed, even way better.

Wish Ms Swanky and I could be there tomorrow night for the party. We'll get over and see the new upgrades soon.

East Coast Tiki!

Superb job on the bar! Wow!

Arrrrsome!!!

2 thumbs and 2 pinky's up shakin'!!!

Major cow-a-bunga!!!

Way to go Brad!
That resin coated bartop is the grooviest!
Superb job my friend!

It looks fabulous and that is an amazing job you did on the faux bamboo!!! :tiki:

G

Stop! You're killing me! Your place is looking more and more fabulous and the build out of my tiki lounge is stuck in some county government inbox waiting for a building permit! :x

Really though, I can't wait to see the final pics. It looks terrific. You've done everything right. THIS is the way it should look. I'm curious, what are the dimensions of your room?

Love your bar, what an awesome job!!!

C

Yay! Great, great!!

H

Mahalos, all you polynesian pop culture crazed peeps!!!

Jungle Trader--you're welcome anytime. I've heard you threaten a visit to the SoCar several times before---brang it on, brutha!

Thanks Harro--I'm considering you a regular at 'The Jungalero Room'--at least virtually.

SophistaDawn--Thnx for the comps--you know you can bend my ear anytime you need to for advice, etc. Keep in mind, though-I'm better at telling people how they shouldn't do something rather than how they should! No better way to learn than the hard way, though. BTW-I love your Cook Islands story :lol:

Thanks Kim--Hope ya'll have been gettin' it good up in the VA. Not too bad here lately--sporadic, as usual though. I used http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/envtex/envlite.htm. It took a one gallon kit ('bout 70 bux) for the top and I had to go back and get an 8oz. kit to finish the 'flip top-entryway' part of the bar top.

Swank-gotcha over the phone. See ya'll soon.

Thanx, Sneaks of Boise!!

Thanx to you as well BambooBen, Can't say i ain't peeked at your 'stylin's' a time or 2 for inspiration. Da Reverend made me do it!

Thanx Ruzic the Mad! The kinda mad that makes me glad and not so sad, cuz you so bad, see ya, Brad.

Muchothanxo VRN--thanx fer keepin' tabs--I'm gonna have to consider you a 'regular' at the Jungalero Lounge as well!

GatorRob--"killing you"!?!? --HUH!-this place has all but drained me of everything except for my stress-it is a labour of love though I must admit. I guess I have been lucky with not having to deal w/ permit issues. I've mostly just been covering existing construction with 'pretty' stuff.
Dimensions for the room are approximately 12' X 35'. Thanx for keeping up w/ progress. I can't wait to see what you do with your space when you get on it--hope I can help/inspire!

Thnx, Tiki Trav--you got it going on too, bro---I'm checking your progress--coming along nicely!!!

Thanks Clarita!! Going to need some candles for my place soon--I'll get with you.

A few pics coming up soon--not quite finished but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

H

A few new pics-nothing indicating significant progress since last image update:
Mugs eye view:

Maybe the most significant upgrade since last set of pics. A makeshift thatch roof over the bar area and some string lighting along the top. Pic looks ALOT brighter than actual lighting in the room. I threw this together pretty quick for a party that was coming up sooner than I could do it like I wanted to do it--so there you have it--not too bad.

The dark side of the room-at least the way it is now. I still need to adjust some lighting--more in some areas--less in other areas. Picked up the sofa and table at a yard sale for 50bx. Bought the uphlstry material at a local fabric joint for about 1/2 price, I believe. Our friend Norine did the upholstery work for us-Thanx-I owe you many crabs --Norine-crab queen!

The ole Marquesan canoe piece I did awhile back. Still needs to be hung on the wall somewhere. Now it's sitting on a weird looking table I 'harvested' from the dumpster of an Indonesian/Chinese import furniture biz that closed down. (along with the ottoman/stool looking piece in background) When the furn. store was open, the manager told me that alot of the furn was built from stuff like old oxe carts, house ornaments--basically anything that was decorative but otherwise considered junk.

Check back soon--BH

[ Edited by: Howland 2007-12-27 20:19 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 279 replies