Tiki Central / General Tiki

Ohana Hut purchasing ... Sold out, ...Order Instructions Update pg 1

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 307 replies

J

I hope I made it. I'd like one.
JP

On 2006-09-13 09:48, tikigreg wrote:

On 2006-09-13 09:44, smgleason47 wrote:
I got my secret code.......i got my secret code.....(to be sung to the Willy Wonka Golden Ticket tune)

Cool! Tell us what the code is so we can sing along! :wink:

OK - here ya go but be careful because the code is case sensitive: giTUroWNcoDE

this is ONE per household right?

J

I'm in.

still 13 left at this point

Ive sent out codes to everyone who signed up so far. If somehow I did overlook you let me know asap.

-stuckie

sure

I'll take one!

me too

Put me on the list as well.

1 please

I want one too! Please.

1 for me please!

MT

One of me!

IN.

K

1 for me please

B

We'd like to have one.
-Amy

one for tikiriffic please!

Only 1 left

T

I'll take one if there's one left!

Done!

Ok so all are accounted for but... if you want one post so. If someone drops out for some reason I'll offer it up to the next in line.

-stuckie

Yes, one please.
Better late than never.

Damn. Was in the lab all morning.
Well, put me on the waiting list. I definitely want one.

[ Edited by: TikiJosh 2006-09-13 14:27 ]

P

When Doug Horne is on a waiting list because Jimmy Sue six-post got to this thread first, then maybe "ohana hut" isn't the right name for it.

But I got mine, so screw everyone else.

I mean, seriously, there are at least a dozen one-post wonders who are grabbing up what is supposed to be a representation of uhhhh.... Tiki Central. If this was just a "sales thing" I would get it. But it's not. It was a contest voted on by the people of Tiki Central, and I don't think that needs defining - but if it did it would include more than 5 freaking posts to your credit.

Mrs. Tiki-Pug I get.
As for the rest - it's like a tiki bar that has a lot of seats for regulars and a busload of Parrot-heads roll in 20 minutes early and take up the whole joint while the owner smiles and keeps right on serving Coronas.

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-09-13 13:20 ]

If one becomes available please count me in. Thanks for all your hard work

On 2006-09-13 13:11, pablus wrote:
I mean, seriously, there are at least a dozen one-post wonders who are grabbing up what is supposed to be a representation of uhhhh.... Tiki Central. If this was just a "sales thing" I would get it. But it's not. It was a contest voted on by the people of Tiki Central, and I don't think that needs defining - but if it did it would include more than 5 freaking posts to your credit.
Even better, one post - after joining TC today.

Shall we rename it "The Iwanna Hut"?

Admiring its gorgeousness from afar but unable to afford it,
F

damn!! ..i missed it again......oh well, i'll take kohalacharms tiki hut..I heard he's got a baby on the way and shouldn't be wasting his money on this crap so put me down for his....

K

god dammit, how did I miss this post.
I will take one hopefully someone will not able to pay for one.
Maybe we can extend the edition to 150.
I have been online all day and never checked the general tiki forum. Why wasn't this posted in all the forums for today only. Bitter am I for missing on both of the TC edition mugs. I hope some of the newbies pass on it later......

[ Edited by: kbgator 2006-09-13 14:11 ]

N

I know this sounds crazy, but could a couple of those "newbies" be people who signed
up to post for some of the regulars who were not going to be near a computer today?
There didn't seem to be a glut of them anyway.

H

It took three hours to sell out, and everyone who was there at 8 a.m. when the "line" opened got a mug, so it's not exactly like a busload of non-TCers came in and swept them all up. I only count 6 people who have never posted before Tiki Central before this thread, which is frankly less than I thought we'd see. And really, what makes someone a TCer -- is someone who has posted 15 times in the past month less or more of a TCer than someone who has posted 5 times over 4 years?

That said, it is disappointing. Despite Tiki Central being a huge part of my life, despite having at least a passing interest in tiki mugs, despite loving Chongolio's design and Stuckie's work in making it reality, I chose to not get an 'Ohana Hut, because I wanted to make sure that one more Tiki Centralite got one.

I am disappointed in those who chose to make their post in this thread their introduction to Tiki Central.

But overall, it is still a beautiful mug, and despite a few bumps, it still stands for many of the wonderful things I love about Tiki Central, and I'm happy to see they are headed soon to the homes of many people who, like me, love Tiki Central. That it took a nice, comfortable three hours to sell keeps me from feeling that anyone truly missed out.

well, I somehow missed out even though I had been watching,m waiting for a time to be posted, I hope I am able to get one.

Amy

T

To all who made active efforts to make this happen, I'd like to say THANKS!

Some degree of second-guessing, individual disappointments, etc. seem inevitable in an undertaking like this. Of course the best way to avoid such things is to do nothing, but you chose differently, and I admire and thank you for it.

F

I'll take one too. If anyone back out.

[ Edited by: fenrir 2006-09-13 15:50 ]

On 2006-09-13 14:11, Humuhumu wrote:
It took three hours to sell out, and everyone who was there at 8 a.m. when the "line" opened got a mug, so it's not exactly like a busload of non-TCers came in and swept them all up. I only count 6 people who have never posted before Tiki Central before this thread, which is frankly less than I thought we'd see. And really, what makes someone a TCer -- is someone who has posted 15 times in the past month less or more of a TCer than someone who has posted 5 times over 4 years?

Well, as someone who found his way here only days before this sale, having joined so that I could post in the thread about Robert opening what will probably be the best tiki bar in the northwest, let alone Portland, I did kind of feel both lucky -and- a little guilty about getting in on the mug. Does that make me less worthy somehow? Maybe in someone's eyes. Did I join because there was a mug sale? Nope. Just good timing on my part.

For what it's worth, I've been in love with all things Hawai'ian since the first trip (that I can remember) in the fourth grade, and the sixteen times since. The culture, the food, the weather, everything. And while the Tiki aspect of it is just a piece of it, to me, it's just as important as the other stuff.

Does it matter that I -just- found this forum? I hope not. Does it matter that won't have a lot to contribute because I can't afford to go out tiki bar hopping/mug collecting/bar building due to the house I just bought or the fact that I quit my job to go back to school for a second bachelor's degree? I hope not. Because I'm here for the atmosphere and camaraderie, not to be viewed as an interloper in what appears to be a very special event.

My collection starts here, with one of the coolest mugs/bowls that I've ever seen. And for that, I'm grateful.

K

Despite Tiki Central being a huge part of my life, despite having at least a passing interest in tiki mugs, despite loving Chongolio's design and Stuckie's work in making it reality, I chose to not get an 'Ohana Hut, because I wanted to make sure that one more Tiki Centralite got one.

I, for one, THANK YOU for that Humuhumu...I couldn't get to a computer until this afternoon and got in one of the last 4 posts. This ones important to me first because I was lucky enough to be one of the judges, plus I've never been able to get my hands on a Shecky, but most of all because of how important this community has become to me since I joined just a few years ago. The people I've met and the knowledge I've gained in that time is priceless.

God that sounded mushy, but you get the picture.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Sep 13, 2006 4:21 PM

On 2006-09-13 14:11, Humuhumu wrote:
It took three hours to sell out, and everyone who was there at 8 a.m. when the "line" opened got a mug, so it's not exactly like a busload of non-TCers came in and swept them all up.

I work from 7am to 5:30pm EST and I can't post from work. Doing this on a Saturday would've made more sense.

Disappointing.

Yes, I'd like one if someone falls out of line.

[ Edited by: Kono 2006-09-16 05:20 ]

if anyone else backs out I want one!!!!!!

i think it's bogus that longtime contributors to tc like kb, tikijosh, swamp fire and tipsy missed out while there were "members" whose first post was "i wanna mug". i'm not blaming stuckie, hanford or anyone else involved with making these. i appreciate the work put into making these available. but some "members" should be ashamed!

I haven't even read any of the posts/replies yet. but you knwo for some people that have to go to work early in the morning and dont sit at a desk with a computer. A sat would have been better than a Friggin wed.
Ah hell, I couldn't really afford it anyways.
bahhh humbug,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2006-09-13 13:11, pablus wrote:

Mrs. Tiki-Pug I get.

please enlighten me, cuz i don't get it.

M

Group hug!

Now, you sign up, you're a member. Everyone was a "newbie" at one point. Each of the old-timers was once the new uninformed one on the block. Heck, I remember on Yahoo I used to spell it "Teekee", and pretty much just posted about Jimmy Buffett. MrSmiley had one mug, Martiki had hair and couldn't pour a beer let alone mix a great cocktail. RevBen was just an altar boy who misspelled "Ely". Hanford had a Wang PC, and one Hawaiian shirt. Bong was alive, and polite.

That's all I'm gonna say on this, rules is rules. Ya either got the mug or didn't, Stuckie did a good job. It's still just a mug, sort of. Heck, I just got this one to hold some of Bong's ashes.

Love the sinner, copy the sin,
Father midnite

I

If the Ohana mug would have been offered first to those who made the most posts over the years on Tiki Central, then you would have needed a minimum of 610 posts to receive an initial invitation, while the rest of you may have been shut out. Only 15 of those 100 who have the most posts chimed in on time to receive the Ohana mug.

The Ohana mug door was open to any Tiki Central members - and not geared to only the Grand Forum members, or those who were here the longest. It is a bit like U.S. Presidential elections - someone who has just received their U.S. citizenship is allowed one vote - the same as a citizen whose ancestors has been in the country for hundreds of years. In this sense, the Ohana Mug offer was very equalitarian. Unfortunately, the open window of opportunity could not meet the needs for all interested parties.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2006-09-13 17:05 ]

no deserving citizen is missing out on voting cuz a new citizen votes. also, i'm not saying the first post "members" shouldn't get an ohana hut, only that they should be ashamed, unless they become participants and contributors to these forums.
p.s my son is a tiki central member, princebowtienaturalcolor, but i wouldn't allow him to get a hut, too.

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-09-13 17:44 ]

T

It's a little disappointing to not get in on the hut when there was the poll over the summer, and many of us expressed interest back then. I'm just wondering how many of those that responded actually got on the final list. I was under the impression that the edition size was going to be large enough to cover the demand. I know that there are some of the ohana, myself included, that were busy with work, and unable to get to a computer. Not that I'm trying to make a fuss or turn this into a major complaining thread, I'm just a little disappointed. :(
While it's a little odd that people joined today and got a mug, I'm not generally upset about newcomers getting in on this. I think it's awesome that some people are starting off with one of the coolest mug/bowls ever.
I think Hanford, Chongolio and Stuckie deserve some extra kudos for their hard work in pulling this together from concept to product. Someone else said it, and I'll re-iterate it: you can't please everybody.
I'm on the waitlist. Maybe I'll get lucky. :wink:

good luck, tikijosh. i'm rootin' fer ya!

On 2006-09-13 17:26, TikiJosh wrote:
It's a little disappointing to not get in on the hut when there was the poll over the summer, and many of us expressed interest back then. I'm just wondering how many of those that responded actually got on the final list.

*Note: this is not a waiting list or reservation system, it's just a "head count" so we can understand what the demand is. *

Rest assured Josh, our contributing to the "head count" made it possible for others to get theirs... and isn't that what Ohana is all about?

T

On 2006-09-13 17:42, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

Rest assured Josh, our contributing to the "head count" made it possible for others to get theirs... and isn't that what Ohana is all about?

Absolutely. I wouldn't want someone to give theirs up just so I can get one.
I still want one, though.

Thanks for the support, King.

[ Edited by: TikiJosh 2006-09-13 17:50 ]

I wouldn't want someone to give theirs up just so I can get one

I'm stealin' chongos!!!!!

On 2006-09-13 17:49, TikiJosh wrote:

I wouldn't want someone to give theirs up just so I can get one.

why not? I must apologize for not making my sarcasm clearer.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 307 replies