Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Ohana Hut purchasing ... Sold out, ...Order Instructions Update pg 1

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 307 replies

On 2006-09-13 16:59, midnite_tiki wrote:
Group hug!

Now, you sign up, you're a member. Everyone was a "newbie" at one point. Each of the old-timers was once the new uninformed one on the block. Heck, I remember on Yahoo I used to spell it "Teekee", and pretty much just posted about Jimmy Buffett. MrSmiley had one mug, Martiki had hair and couldn't pour a beer let alone mix a great cocktail. RevBen was just an altar boy who misspelled "Ely". Hanford had a Wang PC, and one Hawaiian shirt. Bong was alive, and polite.

That's all I'm gonna say on this, rules is rules. Ya either got the mug or didn't, Stuckie did a good job. It's still just a mug, sort of. Heck, I just got this one to hold some of Bong's ashes.

Love the sinner, copy the sin,
Father midnite

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned! :sheckymug: :wink:

Back when I joined in 2003 a few sheckies were still available. While I totally loved the mug, I felt that I wasn't deserving of one because I was a brand new member, so I let it go. Of course now I regret that decision and he is one of my most sought after mugs. My loss, I guess. At the time there were many more sheckies made and it wasn't so 'limited edition'. I was just a shy gal that didn't want to step on any toes.

Just a bit about the number of mugs, and the headcount.

We originally hoped to make 150 mugs, but as Stuckie poured them, the molds degraded faster than he expected. We had to cut the number down to 100. We wish we could make more, but that's not possible. Read my original post on the headcount topic as to how Mug production works, and what the headcount was.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-09-13 19:03 ]

I hope any animosity generated by this does not poison people's feelings and attitudes on this site (take the David Landry thread, for example). Stuckie and Chongolio went thru a lot of effort to provide us the opportunity to obtain such an awesome mug, and we should continue to support such efforts.

That being said, I do think it is unfair that some one-post-wonder gets this mug, while long-time contributors like TikiJosh get the shaft. I would bet that most, if not all, of these 'Newbies' are actually speculators who are buying the mug to resell at a huge profit. Just keep your eyes on Ebay... I bet you will be able to match up those sellers with the 'newbies' who got the Ohana Hut.

I recall similar complaints over the Tiki Oasis 6 mug. Perhaps a lottery may be better the next time a limited edition mug is offered. People opt in, then winners are randomly selected.

P.S. Good luck TikiJosh and all others on the wait list.

P
P

On 2006-09-13 18:10, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

On 2006-09-13 17:49, TikiJosh wrote:

I wouldn't want someone to give theirs up just so I can get one.

When I get mine...I'll drink out of it once, then get a picture of me smashing it over Midnite's head!!( alter boy???!!!) And then hand out the little bloody pieces to the people who did not get one.

""""why not? I must apologize for not making my sarcasm clearer."""""

Arrrr!!! I'll cheer-ish for many moons!!!!

Chongo Design Muey Buenno!!!!!

Can't wate to pour my first Bud Light into it!!!! Arrrrr!!!

P

heheheehee, i was going to stay out of this, but something pablus said struck me. i'm pretty new here, but i try to contribute and i've made friends. friends that mean a lot to me. i think i'll stay awhile.

on that note, i promise to use mine to share it with inky louise and mr. smiley. that was my plan all along. there will be pictures, i promise. it's a mug to share with ohana. not just for ohana to own. plus, anyone that comes to vegas and want's a drink at my house is welcome to drink from it with me. it will be used and chereished as a rememberence of the support i've received from this forum.

also the hard work of stucki, chongo and hanford. thanks you guys.

I plan to share my Chongominium with anyone who thinks they can out-drink me.

Sabu

On 2006-09-13 22:21, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Chongominium

i love that name!
p.s. and your signature!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-09-13 22:24 ]

M

Working nights bites sometimes. I would like to be on the list for any cancelations or even a degraded copy if the molds hold out to #101 or #150.

M

Let there be peace throughout the community, lest one two-piece bunch of ceramic tears us apart. Love one another, old timer, newbie, and all the creatures in between. 'Cept you, Alter Boy, you gonna have to pay Koalacharms, Norte Huntington style.

What would Jab, or Dave Navarro Jesus, do?
Monsignor midnite

Dave Navarro "Sample" Jesus.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 12:11 AM

Backwash------BLECH!!

You guys can have your Ohana Huts and Volcano Bowls. GROG is fine just drinking out of GROG's own mug.

P

hehehehe, i can't wait to "dip" into grog's mug.

Pablus and pdrake have got it right.....share the love

BTW, is the Dave Navarro Sample Jesus a limited print? If so, put me on the list for one.

if there is a extra? ..please add me to the list really dig having one...thanks...

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2006-09-14 01:23 ]

T

Well, I'm getting in the end of a long line... if any of the 200 people before back out I would like one, and I have C-I-H (cash-in-hand)

I don't have a problem with the "new ohana" getting a mug, I have more of a problem with the sale going off at 11:00am EST and selling out by 3:00pm on a Wednesday. If it wasn't for my job then I might have had a chance.... but then again if it wasn't for my job I wouldn't have C-I-H.

P

The saddest part, for me, is that none of the snipers who showed up to snipe their hutmug will read any of my brilliant Perry-Mason-style rhetoric because they only showed up to snipe.

A sad thing indeed.

I'm not trying to disparage neubies (much) but at least one of their first 15 posts should have been in the "New Members" post.

The offense rests.

And midnite - James Cromwell has been advised of this situation and is now engaged on the side of evil.
Be advised. You've been downsized. Minimalized. No purdy pittchers are gonna save you now.

K

After a restless night of crying. I am okay with not making it on the list. I believe I will get one as maybe up to 10 people will not make the order. From now on everytime I check tiki central I will have to check every forum just to make sure I do not miss anything. But I will never check out the Blige. That forum just scares me. Anyway if anyone wants to remove themselves from the list, I will gladly take their place. And if I find out that some of you created new users just to get a hold of two of these then beware or should I say I am up for a trade.

Many folks are saying that they didn't know about the mug, or the details of the sale, or which forum to look at. You can edit your preferences to receive emails with new posts from which ever forum you'd like.

I use my Google gmail account specifically for this purpose because it will keep all of the emails with the same subject matter grouped together in one long thread.

Easy to keep track of.

Just a thought!

..is it that big a deal to just make about 100 more??? it's not rocket science..it's a goddamn plaster mold!!! just make more!!! it's not going to be any less collectable cause there are 250 out there as opposed to 150.....c'mon people. obviously there is an overwhelming demand..why not make everyone happy by allowing everyone to purchase one...any leftover can be put on ebay with the proceeds to cover the costs of making them.....unless of course controvesy, scarcity and division is whatwas intended by this endeavor in the first place...

On 2006-09-14 09:30, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..is it that big a deal to just make about 100 more??? it's not rocket science..it's a goddamn plaster mold!!! just make more!!! it's not going to be any less collectable cause there are 250 out there as opposed to 150.....c'mon people. obviously there is an overwhelming demand..why not make everyone happy by allowing everyone to purchase one...any leftover can be put on ebay with the proceeds to cover the costs of making them.....unless of course controvesy, scarcity and division is whatwas intended by this endeavor in the first place...

Tipsy... come on over and make the master molds and the working molds. I guarantee it will take you at least a week. How much is a week of your time worth? A week I dont have time for, A week out of regular production, new designs and other deadlines. The orginal head count was only around 150. Should I have invested another full week of mold making for 50 more mugs? It doesnt equal out. I wish everyone had been able to get one. I think its incredibly rude to even sugest, even if your joking, that we intended to create this controversy. Ebay? how is that making it for TC members only?

-stuckie

Ah see now thats true Ohana spirit. Tipsy is gonna give up his time for free to make another mold for the rest of the Ohana to get a Hut. You go Tipsy.

On 2006-09-13 14:11, Humuhumu wrote:
I chose to not get an 'Ohana Hut, because I wanted to make sure that one more Tiki Centralite got one.

ME TOO.

And all I require in return is a donation of a simple mug from everyone who gets a Ohana Hut. Any mug will do e.g. Moai, coconut, TikiBob, Shecky........

Now that was completely uncalled for. This mug has quite a bit of history and we've been told at least a couple of times that they are very labor intensive with a 5 piece mold for the base (if I'm not mistaken). The run was reduced from 150 to 100 for reasons of quality to make sure that the mugs were of high quality.

This mug is a labor of love for the many people involved from conception on. Going with a bowl design was an ambitious decision but it was the right one as it embraced of what's important about Tiki Central, bringing people together who have a love for tiki. Sharing something that is fun with friends.

I was fortunate enough to catch the notice the day before I needed to sign up. I would have been sad if I had missed it but would have been happy for those that did get it. In short please don't change the wonderful meaning of the mug for me or make it a regretable project for those involved, especially the artists.

T

"it's not going to be any less collectible cause there are 250 out there as opposed to 150.....c'mon people"

Actually its only 100 not 150 and it is more collectible with a lower number. There are a lot more people who want it now. At least the 50 people who did not get it.

Say it does go on Ebay. I believe the top three mug collectors on Ooga secured this mug. Since we are a group here, if this mug is a buy it now on Ebay for over say two hundred, just no one bid on it. That will send a message to people just out to make a sale.

Tipsy, you did not get a mug? You were on yesterday at the time of sale. But I am grateful that this isn't another Californa event mug. That is unfair. I would have to pay an extra three hundred for the plane over to get it. Plus no one has ever even replied to me when I asked for help to get a single one.

M

This mug is a labor of love for the many people involved from conception on. Going with a bowl design was an ambitious decision but it was the right one as it embraced of what's important about Tiki Central, bringing people together who have a love for tiki. Sharing something that is fun with friends

Well said, Sporkboyofjustice. I always liked that name, now's my opportunity to tell ya that. No idea what it means, but it's lyrical.

Stuckie, I appreciate the effort. 'Nuff said. Although, I still think my design was better, mixing the traditional Tiki elements of Polynesia, Hawaii, and room service club sandwich.

Not feeling the love,
cpt.midnite

ps. I still maintain that Munktiki's "Digs" is the greatest tiki mug ever produced. Can we have more of them, too? Maybe root beer in the drinking fountains, and more skin on "Love Boat". Oh, and world peace...plus moving sidewalks.

EDIT: I mispelled it "Muntiki" in 2002, I still do it now.

[ Edited by: midnite_tiki 2006-09-14 10:50 ]

Perhaps the solution, for the next limited edition TC only mug, is to set a minimum duration of membership, e.g. 6 months, along with maybe a minimum number of posts. That would weed out the tiki-come-latelys.

(count me in the "I'm not worthy" group who refrained from signing up)

Actually, the Ohana Hut is like a handgun.

You should not be allowed to own one until you have taken it to the firing range (ie, local tiki bar), learned how to load it, (filled it to the top with Zombie), hit a target 200 times, (drank the entire contents by yourself without throwing up), and then receive a license, (get a cute chick's phone number on a napkin).

Only then should you be allowed to buy a semi-automatic Chongominium.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-09-14 11:25 ]

On 2006-09-14 09:52, stuckieshaft wrote:

Tipsy... come on over and make the master molds and the working molds. I guarantee it will take you at least a week. How much is a week of your time worth? A week I dont have time for, A week out of regular production, new designs and other deadlines. The orginal head count was only around 150. Should I have invested another full week of mold making for 50 more mugs? It doesnt equal out. I wish everyone had been able to get one. I think its incredibly rude to even sugest, even if your joking, that we intended to create this controversy. Ebay? how is that making it for TC members only?

-stuckie

heh! heh!...ya got me stuckie ol' boy!! heh!.....yeesh...sorry for all the hub-bub...i didn't realize the labor intensity and that you were producing them on your own...yeah, that is alot of work...i've become so used to farming stuff out to china or indpendants to do the shit work that i assumed you were too....i would have paid someone else to make the molds and castings (my time being worth more than the money i'd have to spend to avoid doing the work).....i don't blame you for gettin' angry with me....i only meant to sell any left over ones from an additional run on ebay AFTER those on t.c. that wanted one got one, if you did another run...anyway, it's a cool design and it looks great...forget about my earlier post and let's move on...

V

do you know how much the shipping will cost to Europe, France ?

[ Edited by: virani 2006-09-14 11:41 ]

K

Out of work last two days. I want one if any more are available.

Thx,

Scott

Finally washed all the Pinot Noir juice off my stompin' feet and got to the party late. Oh, well. Mr. Stuckie, sir... please put me on a list for an available Ohana mug in the future. Thanks so very much!

-Weird Unc

On 2006-09-14 11:23, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Actually, the Ohana Hut is like a handgun.

You should not be allowed to own one until you have taken it to the firing range (ie, local tiki bar), learned how to load it, (filled it to the top with Zombie), hit a target 200 times, (drank the entire contents by yourself without throwing up), and then receive a license, (get a cute chick's phone number on a napkin).

Only then should you be allowed to buy a semi-automatic Chongominium.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-09-14 11:25 ]

Ha! Laughing so hard I'm squirting Mai-Tai out my nose. I might be able to get a phone number on a napkin, and therefore an Ohana Hut, but I think my wife would kick me out of the house for the former, and the latter is not big enough to sleep in. :) Any chance of re-working the ground rules?

T

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

That is funnier than a pupu platter!!!!

I am glad all you guys who bought this mug will enjoy it. I passed on it!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

JT

Sign me up if someone drops out

Touche', Sabu!

Well, I'm looking forward to the NEXT TC mug.
One which we all can buy, which was originally what I thought this one was supposed to have been.

I never had a Shecky, having mistakenly thought way back when that none were available, plus I wasn't sure that as a newbie I even deserved one, having been to only a few tiki events around the country and having posted only a few hundred times. The masses asked for this one because so many of us want a damned Shecky!!!!!! (Pardon me, Father Shecky, for taking your name in vain.) And unlike many of my collecting pals, I just can't bring myself to spend $50 on a non-antique drink holder.
Or $90.
This is NOT to knock how anyone chooses to spend their hard-earned money. Many (rightfully) question my choices.

I just want a TC mug, a mug that represents where I have spent so much time (and by traveling to see my TC friends, spending so much money!). One that can travel with me (to photograph in exotic locales), one that I can use everyday, one that I can afford.

can the next one PLEASE BE AFFORDABLE?
AND PLENTIFUL???

As I said when the ohana hut was first chosen, it is BEAUtiful.
And had I been on the committee, I too would likely have said that its superior beauty earned it the award.

But I think I also would have fought for making one (instead? or in addition?) that everyone could get. The point was to link us, not to divide us into the can-afford's/can-get-to-a-computer-on-a-Wednesday-morning's VS. the me's of the world.

We can't all have everything we want, and you can't please all of the people all of the time.
The makers and providers of this beautiful vessell have worked their asses off and I know we appreciate that. Chongolio, Stuckie, and all involved, you created an outstanding piece of art.
This post's point is not to whine about the ohana hut.

But I think if the next mug (she says "next" optimistically!) could be....a mug, then we could all have our S.O.S. (Son of Shecky).

Sign me up on the waiting list (for Mug Design #3),
alice b

[ Edited by: Formikahini 2006-09-15 12:53 ]

On 2006-09-14 05:30, pablus wrote:

I'm not trying to disparage neubies (much)

I believe the term is FauxHana.

-Z

L
Loki posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 5:09 PM

Idea...everyone who missed out on the TC mug save your scratch for Hukilau and buy a one of a kind piece from one of our amazing artists...or go check out the creating thread and see what our amazing artists and carvers are making. Usually one of a kinds.

T

Munktiki will be there and they are doing the Event mug

On 2006-09-14 17:09, Loki wrote:
Idea...everyone who missed out on the TC mug save your scratch for Hukilau and buy a one of a kind piece from one of our amazing artists...or go check out the creating thread and see what our amazing artists and carvers are making. Usually one of a kinds.

amen loki! support your local tc artists!

T

Very well put, Formikahini. I also think the Ohana Hut is beautiful and I wanted one, but just can't spend that kind of dough right now, what with Hukilau coming up (yeah!). I was at my computer at the right time, and knew about the sale, but resisted because I don't need more debt over my head.

I think you're idea for another mug contest for a TC mug that's a bit less complex, so it can be produced much easier, is a great idea. I'm very happy for Chongolio as he easily deserved to win, and I think Stuckie's price is very reasonable for the design details and workmanship (in fact, for a limited handmade artwork it's a bargain price).

I feel lucky that I was honored when the prototype hut was brought to my apartment before the Forbidden Island opening ceremony. I think I may have been the first to serve a drink in one, and for that I am quite proud. And I had the pleasure of drinking out of one at Forbidden Island when Martin brings out the bar's Ohana hut for special occasions.

I just have a small suggestion for those who bought a hut. Use it often, and share it with friends often. That's what the name Ohana Hut means to me. It means Ohana in general, not just TC Ohana. Sure it was the winner of the TC mug contest, but I think perhaps Chongolio called it Ohana Hut because it's meant for sharing a drink with your Ohana, whether they are on TC or not. That is why I don't see what the problem is that some new members (or lurkers) got one. I know that many people on TC (pablus, sabu, tofujoe, mai tai, tikicleen, Vern, and others) who got one already plan to use and share it often in their home bars, and I'm looking forward to seeing that, so I don't feel bad not getting one for myself.

I'm just a little surprised that Sven and Otto and Mrsmiley didn't get one.

T

How come this cat who makes the mugs, who walks away with 13.5k isn't a grand member? And should I care !!!!

T

Its more like 10 G from this.

On 2006-09-14 18:09, TikiLaLe wrote:
How come this cat who makes the mugs, who walks away with 13.5k isn't a grand member? And should I care !!!!

I guess Im the cat you are reffering to? 13.5k, where did you get that number? $90 times 100 huts is....... $9,000. I didnt know a grandmembership was mandatory. And no,...you really shouldnt care.

-stuckie

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 307 replies