Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Stone Carving: Q&A + Gallery...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 420 replies

T

Wow that stuff sounds dear! Is that really how much it costs? In pounds? Where are you flynny?

F

Cream Tea country, Devon, England.
Have tried for hours just to source some, I don't know whether that's expensive or cheap!!!!
Regards
Flynny
West Country apprentice Jade Carver (probably Englands only one!!!)

On 2007-02-16 09:38, flynny wrote:
Tama
After spending ages trying to track down Diamond Cloth, I have found a supplier who will produce 2 inch square pieces of various grades for about £12 ( the most expensive to about £5), the backing can either be left as natural, or velcro or self adhesive, which one would be best. For different grades it will cost about £80 is this about right??

Flynny

Yep, sadly that sounds about right; give or take, there is probably cheaper/inferior quality stuff available but I would advise against it. I forget exactly how much it cost me originally (has lasted a good 3-4years of constant use) but something along the lines of: a strip about 4cm wide was about $25 per cm ie: 4X1cm. Another $25 & you had 2X4cm, 3X4cm, etc... But if you bought a whole strip it was about 20cm long & cost about NZ$220 (80 quid?) Per Grade! And I bought 400grit, 600, 800, 1200 (please excuse all my approximations)

You can also get closed belts of the same which are run on 'expanding' rubber drums. I use a similar method by wrapping a strip (14cm long approx) around a solid rubber drum of about 30mm diameter & hold in place with a rubber band. This is my initial clean-up method, hitting the broadest, easiest-to-reach areas. Just a quick skim really. I then go over the entire form by hand with special attention to those hard-to-reach areas you have found. I go at leat a couple of grades of diamond cloth (400 then 600/800) before moving on to wet n dry paper.

*That diamond cloth may also be good on your initial clean up of bone, horn etc too..? I dont know this for sure but maybe..?

Good luck.
Tama :)

B
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.