Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Stone Carving: Q&A + Gallery...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 420 replies

T

Hey! Where did this thread come from? Sheesh! How did I miss this? It's excellent!

I just started today grinding on a piece of soapstone.
Here's my little dripper - not too fancy (and posted elsewhere - thanks T and BZ).

My carving (?), er Grinding, currently looking like a bat. This could change.

I forgot to mention THANKS to Tama the mana for the divulsion of the secret of the bits, above. Thanks!
I also forgot to ask - where do you get these bits?
Thanks!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-11-05 21:48 ]

On 2006-11-05 21:17, tikigap wrote:
I forgot to mention THANKS to Tama the mana for the divulsion of the secret of the bits, above. Thanks!
I also forgot to ask - where do you get these bits?

Tikigap: Welcome to the guild of rock-cutters brother! (we'll let you away with soapstone just this once...) :lol:

I mainly order my burrs through a company in NZ (George Henry & Co. Ltd) who act as agents for 'Diamond Edge', the manufacturers(?), although the brandname on the burrs is 'Hongia'... Im well aware that a hefty mark-up has probably been added but thats an exclusive agency for you.
The main reason I use them is that the quality is very high (ive used better, Italian ones but $$$!!!) for the price, most lasting for several months (being used most days) & some I have had for years! They average about US$5-10 each depending on size.
Much cheaper ones can be found but you get what you pay for of course.

**Most other diamond gear (sawblades, wheels, flat-laps, etc) I now buy from eBay; do a search for 'BUTW diamond' and you'll find a great selection at a good price/quality...

ROCK ON!!! Tama :)

T

On 2006-11-06 12:55, Tamapoutini wrote:
Tikigap: Welcome to the guild of rock-cutters brother! (we'll let you away with soapstone just this once...) :lol:

Thanks! I may have already scored some jade - not sure yet. Can't wait tho!

I mainly order my burrs through a company in NZ (George Henry & Co. Ltd) who act as agents for 'Diamond Edge', the manufacturers(?), although the brandname on the burrs is 'Hongia'...

Thanks again! I'll hunt around for these and report back.

... from eBay; do a search for 'BUTW diamond' and you'll find a great selection at a good price/quality...

ROCK ON!!! Tama :)

Triple thanks - and I don't mean to be throwing rocks :wink: but ROCK ON BACK AT YA!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-11-06 15:28 ]

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 2:29 PM

Gman got stoned today....

Who has the Cheesy-Poofs?

-Gman

On 2006-11-10 14:29, GMAN wrote:
Gman got stoned today....

Who has the Cheesy-Poofs?

A: 'Kartman-Ku' or 'Ku-rtman'? :lol: Tama

I mainly order my burrs through a company in NZ (George Henry & Co. Ltd) who act as agents for 'Diamond Edge', the manufacturers(?), although the brandname on the burrs is 'Hongia'...

Important/Timely Update on Hongia burrs

I was at an exhibition opening last night; the '06 jade carving course Graduation show (hows the head Paipo..?) & made a contact who imports these directly from Taiwan!! Apparently genuine Hongia brand @ about half the normal cost! (2.34mm shank diameter X 45mm length only)

I have a catalogue/pricelist in my hot little hands, PM me if you are interested & Im happy to order for you.

TamaTheToolMan :)

B

I stoppesd into a Lowes today and got a 20 LB bag od mexican river stones for $3.94

It seems a lot like Paipos but larger and some I will get 2 or 3 pieces out
of one stone. I may hate it I vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Keep falllllllllling asleepandd yoo
I need to quit writing or typing because when I noddoccccccccc its only 1100 here,
I will type to you in the morbningxc .
BenZ

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2008-05-07 03:15 ]

On 2006-10-18 08:48, saxotica wrote:

*Where've you gone Saxotika? Any new rocks..?

Tama

B

Tama the Teacher, Thanks for the bit on the burs. I agree the cheep chinese are poor quality and it is the same in carving tools. The market right now is flooded with 12$ "Master.commercial" sets of chisels and you will Never be able to get an edge on them. I've been trying to find Us suppliers and have maybe located one, but it is hard since most still offer the cheap burs. I appreciate the help you are offering, it goes above and beyond the call of duty, Thanks.
One question, I use 3/32" and 1/8" size shanks for my tools. Where does the 2.4 and4 mm sizes fit in?

I guess I never posted the Stone Moai here so here it iz:
First rough out
To first macro showing Lots needing to be done
To final pic's

I used rubber abrasive points for getting the final scratches out and small felt wheels for polishing and buffing. The Bone Carving book has not arrived yet, so just went with instincts for the braiding of the black waxed cord. Only had to re-do it a couple times, which really sucks when you have uo Unbraid 10 inches of braid work.
This Stone Moai is on his way back South to Harro in Austrlia, so Almost made a fill circumnavigate of the world!

Now I Must finish my first piece, the taiaha I started forever ago!

On 2006-11-11 06:35, Benzart wrote:

Now I Must finish my first piece, the taiaha I started forever ago!

*Now you see how easy it is to accumulate an "80"... Starting projects is the easy bit :lol:

Attention Team-Stoners: Update on the Hongia burrs...

Ive got the OK to put up the email address of our contact, but hang fire for 24hrs & I will fix up the burr chart so's that prices & code # are more legible, and Ill add the e:address then.

Tama

S

Tamapoutini, Thanks for asking. I carved a 2 footer but sold it before I could post pictures.

T

The Stone Moai is very nice Ben...

Thanks for posting the chart and soon the contact Tama - I'll definitly order some. I'm still sitting in the same place with my first rock because I have not gotten out to look for the right burrs. This is just the kind of info I need!

By the way, what should I use for the string necklace, if I ever get my piece done? :wink:

Thanks again!

On 2006-11-12 10:57, tikigap wrote:
By the way, what should I use for the string necklace, if I ever get my piece done? :wink:
[/quote

A: The cord commonly used around these parts is a braided Polyester twine (used for sailmaking I think?). Its main advantage is that knots can be clipped short & melted with a flame to completely seal them from coming undone.

This said, I am always on the lookout for different types/colours/weights of thread. There is no right or wrong, just personal preference.

Tama

Burr catalogue - Pg 4

B

Thanks for More info Tama,
About the twine, is the Waxed better than unwaxed? Thanks for the diamond links. when I bought my second round of burs, I thout=ght they were good ones, but fit just goes to show my ignorance. I searched a ton on Lapidary supply houses and evidently they are not familiar with top quality diamond toolz. Thanks
Tgap, thanks for the props.

Benzart wrote:

About the twine, is the Waxed better than unwaxed?

Benz: Somewhere in the middle... Lightly waxed is preferable, haha

-Sometimes the weave of unwaxed can be a little 'loose' (hard to explain) but of waxed vs. unwaxed would be my preference.

-Too waxy is a real bugger. Sticky fingers when plaiting & it seems to attract dust & gunk. One way to rectify is to 'whip' it through a dry towel about a doz times, holding tight through the towel, you dig? But a little wax is good as it adds some stiffness when working & helps when trying to thread multiple strands through tiny holes.

"Wax on, wax off?" Experiment & be Mindful of results young grasshoppers... Tama :)

On 2006-11-12 09:15, saxotica wrote:
Tamapoutini, Thanks for asking. I carved a 2 footer but sold it before I could post pictures.

Damn! What a shame... Oh well, there's always the next one..? Tama

B

I started another jade piece yesterday and it will be for me and not for sale.It's something I have wanted for a long time and I will post pictures as it starts to look like something, like maybe tomorrow.
The Pusher man strikes again.
Tama one question again for my handpieces I can use 3/32" burs or 1/8" burs. Do you know how the 2.34mm and 4.5 mm stack up to those?
Thanks, BenZ

On 2006-11-12 19:51, Benzart wrote:
I started another jade piece yesterday and it will be for me and not for sale.It's something I have wanted for a long time and I will post pictures as it starts to look like something...

Oooh, is it what I think it is??? Go Ben!!!

Tama one question again for my handpieces I can use 3/32" burs or 1/8" burs. Do you know how the 2.34mm and 4.5 mm stack up to those?

Oh Man! My brain hurts... HELP PAIPO!!!Heeealp! sob

*To be honest Benz, I think I have some sort of 'Numerical Dislexia'. I am incredibly useless when it comes to numbers. The brain just shuts down & my eyes go out of focus, seriously!

3/32" is obviously the smaller of the two sizes & is probably what you're after but PLEASE check with someone else before ordering.

TamaTheTerribleAtTrigonometry... :lol:

In responce to MadMax/Gman putting together a grinding unit but here for all...

Just another quick pic of my main grinding unit: the thing to note is the amount of cowling covering wheels. As long as the 'roof' comes down to about where this shows, you shouldnt get too much overspray & of course the motor needs to be completely isolated...

Heaps of working space really as you tend to grind on the very bottom area. You will most probably get wet!! I dont really know of any carvers who have totally eliminated the need to wear a towel or raincoat!!

Tama

B

Thanks, My brain does that thingy too, goes totally blank.,Being past 60 is my reason, watz yours?
I will have to figure out something . Guess I'll start by laying down the drill press. after I get the Wheelz.
Thanks T3

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-11-12 21:00 ]

P

just a shot of my main grinding unit. you can see the cowling over it. it's call royal stewart and a sporran.

B

Cool Perry, Looks like it works well if you can get the RPM's up!

B

Here is one I am doing for Benzart. It is from a piece of Black Jade Paipo sent me and I coveted it from the beginning. This will be the last of these I will carve from jade or stone, though I may do some in wood one day. It's a Long way off but a start.

Ben, Tama, all, this is a great thread, as are the others.I love watching the progress, although I missed the carving class in San diego, I am inspired to try something at home, on a smaller scale. Thanks again for all you do to show the way and keep us inspired.

Amy

Bold start Ben, cant wait to see this Hei-tiki done!!

*I am involved in an exhibition in Sydney, Australia early next year & intend to make a few wacky Hei-tiki in 'Aussie Black' jade. You beat me to it!!

Glad to see you havent forgotten how to hold a chisel tho'. The big Lono is looking great (pop him in an envelope when finished, OK..?)

Tama

B

Amy, Thanks,
Tama, thank you too. I almost didn't post this guy incase he somehow crumbled to dust or teeny pieces. But I decided I needed the challenge so now I Gotta finish him right..
If I can find an envelope, I'll send him right over, but I think Bete would be unhappy.

P

i have a serious question this time. when i braid the waxed, nylon, the wax builds up as i tighten up the braid. how do you deal with that? melt it off? it's like clumpy white wax.

On 2006-11-14 20:25, pdrake wrote:
i have a serious question this time. when i braid the waxed, nylon, the wax builds up as i tighten up the braid. how do you deal with that? melt it off? it's like clumpy white wax.

pdrake: Go back a page, Ben asked the same thing a couple of days ago...

Tama

B

Tama, I have exchanged emails with Jen & Gary and we are working on the first small order. The 12.5% NZ tax will be added, so expect that. The sizes I was wondering about? The 2.34mm is the same as our 3/32" size and the 4mm is the same as 1/8" , so that is all good. Jen and Gary both have "Day jobs" and do this tool supply in their spare time, so be patient. One question I still have concerns the mesh or grit. Are these burs available in different grits?
Tama, thanks again for putting this together, it will Really be a big help.

On 2006-11-11 06:35, Benzart wrote:
Tama the Teacher, Thanks for the bit on the burs. I agree the cheep chinese are poor quality and it is the same in carving tools. The market right now is flooded with 12$ "Master.commercial" sets of chisels and you will Never be able to get an edge on them. I've been trying to find Us suppliers and have maybe located one, but it is hard since most still offer the cheap burs. I appreciate the help you are offering, it goes above and beyond the call of duty, Thanks.
One question, I use 3/32" and 1/8" size shanks for my tools. Where does the 2.4 and4 mm sizes fit in?

I guess I never posted the Stone Moai here so here it iz:
First rough out

Ben, did you stain the rock? It looked flat grey at first, then tan, just wondering how you got that color and polish. thanks

Amy

B

Thanks Amy,
Part of the difference in colors comes from diferent lighting, but the color Did change a bit after I waxed him with a buffing wheel impregnated with bees wax. I sanded him and then used rubber abrasive burs to smooth out all the roughness, or as much as I could. When I applied the wax the first time I put it on very heavy, and then heated the stone lightly with a flame so the wax would hopefully soak into the pores, then I buffed him with a clean cotton wheel.

P

hey everybody!

quick question, is there a formula for braiding? what length to start with to end up with a certain length after it's all braided?

thanks!

P

oh, and another question. it may have been answered already, i'm too lazy to look. do i need a special "wet" grinder or can i just buy a regular bench grinder and have a drip on it?

thanks.

B

Hey Perry, I have not done much braiding so far but I think for a 16" piece you just need to start with about 20 " and that leaves you plenty to hold on to and you will end up cutting off close to 4".

Hi folks -Cant stop but dropped in to say I will be having a BIG block cut this week (the 110lb'er from page 1) & will take my camera along for the ride.

Will hopefully get some interesting pics for this thread..?

Kings: this means we'll see some progress soon!

Tama :)

"Oh Wow, Im lost man... Someone said this is where the all the stoners were..?" Hello..?

Update on the stone-cutting: Session postponed due to crappy weather... The guy Im going to has a large drop-saw that is carried out onto the lawn for use. Not advisable in the torrents we have been facing lately - ahh, Spring...

Hopefully this week... Tama

J

I knew some guys in high school who looked like that.

Thanks Jen. er, this IS actually a photo of me in highskool man... cough

*Im afraid the photos of the big stone saw aint gonna happen, or rather, has already happened & you/we missed it... I dropped the block off for cutting & picked it up again today; in several smaller pieces.

Ive still got to get half of it cut down further before I can handle it at home, so Ill visit another mate who has an 'in-between' sized dropsaw. Still pretty exciting in a tediously slow kind of way. He makes me do the work myself, so Ill be sure to take my camera for that...

Whats happened to all the rock-grinders..?

TTT :)

B

Sorry for not being here too much recently, that danged old wood Moai has me bogged down, but I promise to report back real soon so Hold yer breath. Can't wait to see that inbetweennnn-sized drop saw??

On 2006-12-01 04:23, Benzart wrote:
Sorry for not being here too much recently, that danged old wood Moai has me bogged down...

*Dont be sorry Ben; that danged old Moai is a perfect excuse & is the finest thing happening around here at present! (until you move on to the next project that is...)

So Ben's off the hook, what about the rest of you..? :)

T3

Come on; hasnt anyone got their burrs yet? The new Zealanders are waiting... :lol: TTT

B

Hey T3, Mine shipped out on 12/06/2006, so should arrive by next Wednesday I'm thinking. I will Defenitely let you know when they do arrive and I'll let you know how much better they work! Thanks

Tama, I sent you a PM :)

Amy

T

Sorry I haven't been here in a while... I've been busy on a big pig lately... But there is some activity in my stone shop...

No burrs yet - Still waiting quite anxiously! In fact, I was so anxious that I went to Harbor Freight and bought some cheapo's and started practicing (so maybe I won't immediatly ruin the good ones when they get here!)

Update to my goofy drip system - I've started actually using it :wink: and have modified and refined it from this:

To This:

You need a bigger resevoir than I had before, so I rigged this up. It drains into the red bucket on the floor.

The blue Tupperware tray thing has a hole drilled in it on the right, with plumber's putty preventing any leakage. If the tray is balanced correctly it works pretty well. Also, not shown are the little walls and a towel I put up around this when it's running:

Also, I was wondering about this guy:

On 2006-11-25 22:37, Tamapoutini wrote:
"Oh Wow, Im lost man... Someone said this is where the all the stoners were..?" Hello..?

I still know people like that...!
How did the lines get on his eyes? Is that part of the shell?

On 2006-11-25 22:37, Tamapoutini wrote:
Update on the stone-cutting: Session postponed due to crappy weather... The guy Im going to has a large drop-saw that is carried out onto the lawn for use. Not advisable in the torrents we have been facing lately - ahh, Spring...

That's right! It's spring where you are! I hadn't realized that. We're just headed into the cold part of winter. :(

Here's the bat I was working on:

There's a description on My Thread

See ya!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-12-16 21:10 ]

CHOICE bat Tikigap. Could you show a few different angles of it. Seems very 3-dimensional & fairly adventurous for such a small carving. It all seems solid/sturdy enough to hold together; all comes down to the stonetype & carefully handling. Seems to be a reasonably amorphous (no real grain direction) stone, probably a greywacke or similar; Paip..? Should achieve a reasonable polish if not too porous.

Nothing wrong with your set-up. Believe it or not, 90% of jade workshops Ive seen are similarly butchered together affairs - including my own! Its just part of it. :lol:

Re: the Paua eyes. Yes, the patterns are a part of the shell. The shells are usually 1-3mm thick & made up of 100's(?) of thin layers/patterns. I usually grind the surface to get them flat & in the process the colours & patterns constantly change. If Im watching carefully enough I can stop when the patterns are looking good. *Handy hint: I often grind a piece of shell big enough for two eyes so that the pattern is better matched; easier than trying to find two random pieces with matching patterns.

Keep us posted on the Pekapeka/bat!

Tama :)

T

Here's a progress picture or two and a lesson learned: (sorry 'bout the cross-post from my thread...):

Stone Bat Update

Thanks for looking and please critique!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 420 replies