Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Stone Carving: Q&A + Gallery...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 420 replies

Kia ora Robin - A rollin' and a rockin'? A Tiki-Tour? Sounds like fun! Headed anywhere in particular..?
*Im sure BenZart gave you a few well aimed tips on stone carving when you guys hooked up the other day. He's in a unique position to teach this as a long-time experienced carver who is also fresh to the material. Not that you need much help now (your short-clubs are great). Like any medium, once you understand the basics its just a matter of how much time you spend at the bench and how experimentative/receptive you are with the material. Practice makes.. better! :)

--

*The main things Id be considering if considering a road-trip laboratory would be 'how long am I going for'? and 'how much can I prepare in advance to emliminate the need for.. certain tools?'

Personally, Id slab up stone in advance (and even have designs drawn up and 'trimmed' in advance; but you may be wishing to design from inspiration from the trip itself..?), thereby doing away with the need for a trimsaw, or as you say use cutting discs in the handpiece (REALLY CAREFULLY! Those suckers can bite big-time if you lose concentration and twist the thing while youve got it embedded any more than a few mm into the stone!)

The only two I really cant do without** are the main grinding wheel (flat or peripheral) & the handpiece. All diamond cloth and sandpaper stages can be done by hand or if you can build a multi-adaptable unit, all the better. Ditto BenZ' roughout technique: if it works for you then it is a good tool!

Of course you will somehow need to set up somewhere to sit, some sort of water-feed (bucket/gravity), and some sort of drainage (do it outside?). All the usuals: earmuffs, goggles, lighting (preferably), and something to power it all up! Again safely!

quote: 'I notice that you both have some larger areas of negative space/indents. Like on your Manaia Paipo, and in some of the mouths on your pieces Tama...almost vertical transitions to flatter spaces with some depth. I am curious as to how you smooth these areas...I haven't figured that out yet. Even with the worn burs they don't get smooth enough and I can't get diamond cloth in there. I believe I've mentioned that our diamond cloth is not nearly as flexible as yours...it has a sort of plastic coating on the back that makes it difficult to wrap on a mandrel, or fold.'

Its true it can be very difficult to get in and clean up in some of the very finest corners and/or deepest areas. The plastic backing on that diamond cloth sounds like a hindrance, as you have identified. The stuff I use can be rolled/curled into a cone shape (using 1 x 1" square approx..) with a firm point that can be worked into almost anything a burr can create. Sometimes its a matter of holding your breath and 'pinching' the cloth a little to give it stiffness. If any given area is carved well/smooth enough (rubbing-sticks eh Paip?), it really only needs 6-8 well-aimed passes of the diamonds to do the job.
With wet/dry sandpaper I fold a 1.5 x 1.5" square in half & half again, and find this also gives the necessary rigidity for the task and similarly curl/roll it up in order to plunge the depths.. (wha..? oh sorry.. :blush: ahem). Keep changing the 'blunt' paper frequently; again it wears out in only 2-3 passes so keep it movin'!

Re: Hongia burrs - I plan on placing an order myself soon & will talk to Mr Man just to clarify whether or not we are actually dealing with the genuine article, and if so if he's happy for me to re-post the catalogue. Howzat?

**And just because I say you cant do without them, doesnt mean you cant do without them. Did you ever heard the one about the guy who carved a full-sized maripi/sharktooth flesh-knife, with just a handpiece??!! Paipo tells it better.. :wink:

Hope this helps in some way. Have a good trip! Take photos!

Tama :)

On 2006-11-10 14:29, GMAN wrote:
Gman got stoned today....

But he's been on the straight and narrow ever since.. It's about time you got your rock hammer out again isnt it G? You're a natural..

T :)

On 2006-11-13 10:44, Benzart wrote:
Here is one I am doing for Benzart. It is from a piece of Black Jade Paipo sent me.. It's a Long way off but a start.

And what ever happened to this piece Mr B? I dont remember seeing it finished..?

TTT :wink:

P
Paipo posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 5:38 AM

I've thought about the "Travelling kit" scenario too, and I think I could get away with about 6-8 burrs, a few strips of diamond cloth, my handpiece and a pocketful of pebbles. In fact I probably wouldn't even need the cloth. Jade carving - maybe not so easy. Ben's method is okay if you have nothing else, but roughing out with the handpiece using bullets or discs is hard going and not too kind on the stone (or the handpiece for that matter!). I'd go with Tama's suggestion of doing as much pre-shaping as you can so you can do most of your work with the handpiece. Unless you have some sort of nifty combo unit the thought of trying to set up a saw, wheel and a handpiece somewhere temporary seems like a lot of work and hassle...
As for the vertical transition/negative space thing, I almost always use core drills followed by various styles of flat-ended burrs - discs, inverted cones, tapered cylinders, etc. I'm still using a very similar set of tools to what I posted waaay back on the very first page of my thread. I don't go into these areas with any kind of cloth or paper - just burrs, and if the burrs don't get a good enough finish, sometimes a little work with a rubbing stick. I'm sure little discs of diamond cloth on a mandrel or an old burr would do the job too, especially if you have undercuts.

R
Robin posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 4:34 PM

Wow...thanks so much for the fast replies!

I'm headed to the Washington coast...Olympia...for the summer. Got a job in a state park, I'll be living in my van, and doing some stone carving in the off hours....that's the plan anyway. On the way, I'm going to stop in Wyoming and check out some jade places. I hope to make some kind of run to BC also for the same reason.

I was worried about the handpiece taking a beating too Paipo...mine is a smallish number, Faro quick release, and it's not a really tough tool. Got slabs cut. I'm probably gonna take the bigger wheels and a motor...just 'cause it's so useful for other stuff too...I think it will be worth the hassle in the long run. I don't have it worked out how to get water to the grinding wheel yet, but I do for the handpiece. I can use quick grips to clamp the motor to the picnic table, and I'll be there awhile so I won't have to move it daily. I don't have time to plan designs right now...I wish I had thought of that sooner! I'll skip the trim saw, and do the trimming with the handpiece...very carefully and slowly...thanks for that advice Tama. It's easy to get to aggressive with the fast spinning wheels. Thanks for the info on the cloth and papers...good tips...maybe those other guys will sell that diamond cloth too....man it's expensive....but I sure do wish I had some. Also hadn't thought about light...so I'll plan for that...the headlamp probably isn't going to be enough. :) I'm thinking about getting some small solar panels for a power booster just in case. Electricity could be a problem sometimes.

I think I am getting to know the stone a bit better....the tension releasing from the stone is driving me crazy. I think I have cleanish stone, and then these fractures show up down the road. That didn't happen with the stones I used in NZ....but then the shapes were pretty simple and uniform. My grinding wheels arbor is a bit wonky...not enough to fix it yet, but I suspect that the slight chatter from not being quite true is causing some of the problem. I go from not aggressive enough with the burs, to too aggressive when I get my guts up. You should see Ben work...he is no nonsense when he carves...but then he really knows what he's doing.

Earmuffs and goggles...do you guys use those! Oh my! I really don't like wearing stuff when I work..it's always been a problem, and I've been busted for it a lot.

Thanks to you as well Paipo....I'm hoping I find some good pebbles to try...I've heard of finding agate too..The coast of Washington is amazing and wild...some places you can hear the rocks being rolled by the Pacific like on the beaches of the Tasman Sea. I'm going to be on the calm side though...Puget Sound area. I haven't been there before, but maybe they have some good pebbles too. I'm amazed you do all that with just burs....I bought every bur you and Tama posted...and some others too! I'm getting some favorites, and some I haven't even tried yet.

Really appreciate your thoughts and advice, it's almost like we did this over a beer. Let me know if you think of anything else.

What do you think Ben? Ben has every tool known to man BTW...I'd be interested to hear what you think is essential too.

I'm off for more packing and planning....possibly get dinner in there somewhere.

Many thanks.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 4:49 PM

:D Yeah.........

On 2008-05-07 16:34, Robin wrote:

I'm headed to the Washington coast...
On the way, I'm going to stop in Wyoming and check out some jade places. I hope to make some kind of run to BC also for the same reason.

I think I am getting to know the stone a bit better....the tension releasing from the stone is driving me crazy. I think I have cleanish stone, and then these fractures show up down the road. That didn't happen with the stones I used in NZ....but then the shapes were pretty simple and uniform. My grinding wheels arbor is a bit wonky...not enough to fix it yet, but I suspect that the slight chatter from not being quite true is causing some of the problem. I go from not aggressive enough with the burs, to too aggressive when I get my guts up. You should see Ben work...he is no nonsense when he carves...but then he really knows what he's doing.

Earmuffs and goggles...do you guys use those! Oh my! I really don't like wearing stuff when I work..it's always been a problem, and I've been busted for it a lot.

Really appreciate your thoughts and advice, it's almost like we did this over a beer. Let me know if you think of anything else.

Now Wyoming might be a great place to stock up - Ive seen some incredible nephrite from that place; an amazing variety of colours & some of the hardest/tightest jade Ive ever seen. Well worth asking around while your there. Id be looking for local rockhounds rather than lapidary supply shops but it all depends on how available it is..

Yep, stone quality is half the battle won - or lost. It certainly doesnt hurt your education to work with crappy stone. As students we did some amazing stuff with some very average materials (a very costly-to-run course, Im not dissing it..) and in retrospect I can now appreciate our efforts all the more. But yes, those wee pings/chips/fractures can be a nightmare. making those softer/simpler rounded shapes doesnt ask so much of stone with shakey structure like that, whereas a carving with sharp/crisp detail or levels is asking for trouble. My own work suffers from this all the time & Im forever discounting prices because of this; just part of the fun.. When the occasional REALLY nice piece of stone comes your way, you learn to appreciate it! Similarly, when that rare carving goes off without a hitch or a fracture and youve carved yourself proud - then thats a piece to either keep for yourself, give to a loved one, or sell at top dollar!! (Double what you would normally want, triple..!)
*And get that wheel running as true as you can - as well being gentler on the stone, it is also gentler on the fingers; those vibrations can cause noticable numbness (from experience) which is kind of freaky and can ultimately cause irreparable damage!!

Earmuffs/goggles: To be honest I hardly ever wear goggles, only occasionally when using the trimsaw. Grinding (jade - some other stones are more 'pingy') and using the handpiece hardly ever throws off a chip.
I always wear earmuffs (and just turn stereo up extra loud!)

I was having a beer - weren't you? :wink:

Keep us posted on the micro-bench!

B

WOW, Incredible Info, Thanks guys.
Robin, I can't Wait till you get out west and start getting us some Great jade boulders, bring us back some Giant ones!
Sounds like you are really gonna have a Blast.
Water... I use a 5 gallon bucket with Air line tubing from the fish tank store. It's flexible and just the right size.
On all the rest I'm still learning.

T

Hi Robin -

I envy you Summer plans, and remember living most of my life along the California, Oregon and Washington coastal areas. I had planned to retire near Port Angeles (Washington) but fate sent me East.

I don't know where you ae beginning your trip, but you can find some nice chloromelanite (black jadeite) beach pebbles near Cresent City, California. I also purchased some really beautiful emerald green jade (pic attached) from an eBay seller who claimed it came from a deposit near Skagit, Washington. The seller said it was jadite but I have some reservations about the claim. Anyway, whether jadite or nephrite it is nice carving material.

Good luck, good carving, and a pleasant Summer to you.

R
Robin posted on Fri, May 9, 2008 6:34 AM

On 2008-05-08 07:04, timidtiki wrote:
Hi Robin -

I envy you Summer plans, and remember living most of my life along the California, Oregon and Washington coastal areas. I had planned to retire near Port Angeles (Washington) but fate sent me East.

I don't know where you ae beginning your trip, but you can find some nice chloromelanite (black jadeite) beach pebbles near Cresent City, California. I also purchased some really beautiful emerald green jade (pic attached) from an eBay seller who claimed it came from a deposit near Skagit, Washington. The seller said it was jadite but I have some reservations about the claim. Anyway, whether jadite or nephrite it is nice carving material.

Good luck, good carving, and a pleasant Summer to you.

Well thanks Timid. The West Coast of the U.S. is really some beautiful country. I drove 101 from L.A. to Washington one year up and around the Olympic Peninsula, and hopped the ferry in Port Townsend and then to the San Juans...I spun on the deck of the ferry, and thought this is some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen....can't wait to get back there. I haven't seen the east side of the peninsula yet. Things just fell into place this year...I'm feeling pretty lucky...now if I can just find some jade!

I'll check out the Crescent City and Skagit County areas. Thanks for that. Wish me luck! Any more tips or contacts greatly appreciated. I'm not sure how to hook up with people in the know. I might need a decoder ring.

From my limited knowledge and from what I can see in the picture...I'd say that piece was nephrite...and really pretty. The jadeite I've seen has a really distinctive structure..way different from nephrite. Tama? Paipo? PrarieJade?

I've done some limited research on where to find jade in Wyoming...apparently there was a Jade rush much like the Gold rush in the 30's/40's, and there has been tons and tons of the stuff mined there. I have isolated an area to look around in Wyoming....fingers crossed.

Ben...thanks...I use the same system Ben for water...works really well. I saw the above black jade piece while I was at Ben's Chop. Still in pretty much the same stage...Ben...get on that one...it needs out of the box! Traveling light....lots of room for rocks.

Tama...will get that thing spinning better...I'm gonna change out motors and arbor. I hate it when my fingers go numb! Your assessment of the stone process is much like the clay process. When everything goes just right, and you know you've done something fine...oh man...it's the best....and then there's the humbling part too.

JadiGypsy

On 2008-05-09 06:34, Robin wrote:

From my limited knowledge and from what I can see in the picture...I'd say that piece was nephrite...and really pretty. The jadeite I've seen has a really distinctive structure..way different from nephrite. Tama? Paipo? PrarieJade?

JadiGypsy

The Jadi-Gypsy sees all with her stone-scrying eye.. I would agree that this looks very much like nephrite - and a honey of a slice too!

Now if it were a leatherclad motorbike trip we could call you 'Rock'n Robin' - but you'd definately need to rethink the workshop.. :wink:

B

Well since Robin is rockin around the rock piles we CAN call her "Rockin Robin" :lol:

THIS is from a link shown me by our Rocker Tama and I figured it will help a bit for rock carving

T

The "real" thing, Ben, carved by Donn Salt from USA Big Sur jade (also shown on the link you cited):

T

DIAMOND SANDPAPER - Can anyone suggest a source for this material (diamond sandpaper) in the US? My searches have not been successful! Thanks.

B

YES, That be the one

AS for finding diamond paper, How about small pads or 1"x6" strips.
You can find them HERE
You can also probably find it at other Jewelry tool companies, I will look thru my links and see what else I can find.
HERES Another One

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-07-04 18:23 ]

the wife and i have been all over the states looking for jade-found my first jade in 1971 on the beach @willow creek in big sur.
the wyoming nephrite is the best america had to offer-but the BLM limits you to surface picking-and folks have been walking that sage desert
consistently for the last 60 years- jade remains but its harder and harder to find. the original source for all the wyoming jade is the granite mountains
north of jeffrey city. the wyoming geological service has great jade prospecting information on-line:http://www.wsgs.uwyo.edu/gemstones/jade.aspx
and i particularly liked the articles by dan hausel. remember while looking that most wyoming jade has a tan or a red rind covering the exterior- aside from a few jade slicks greated by windblown sand.
you can find rockhounds willing to sell some jade in rawlins lander laramie and casper- but the real apple green and the translucent emerald green are hard to find at any cost now.
i'm betting the slab in the picture is wyoming nephrite- never seen that quality anywhere else in the us-and i have some slabs that might be bookplates of that in color and translucency.
the crescent city jades actually occur north of there @ dry lagoon- beautiful beaches with great access and lots of black jade.
new jade locations are found all the time in california washington and oregon.ken agren has the best cascade jades: http://washingtonjade.com/
going back to the big sur jade festival in october. most of america's jade junkies meet up there every year.absolutely a must-see if you are on the west coast .
ask more locality questions- i have barely scratched the surface.

benzart- was pleased to see you getting involved on donn salt's new carving site--does this mean you are attending the workshop in california in late october?
its given me great pleasure to see you branch into new carving media.
for those wanting a gander @ donn's advice:http://jade-carvers.com/
also incredibly helpful in tools techniques, designs and studio layout is:http://www.thecarvingpath.net/forum/
rock on!

B

Thanks Prairie Jade, I would LOVE to come out in October for the Workshop but there is no way I could afford it or physically make the trip. I have been exploring the carving path plus Donns site, TONS of great information so much my brain is getting overloaded. I am seeking to get more into the small Netsuke type carving, MAYBE, as I Really love this Bone stuff and see that it will take Incredibly fine detail on such a small scale that I feel compelled to work at it.
Donn was gracious giving me some links to keep me busy. I listen to you talk about all the JADE out there and it makes me want to carve more Jade too, but first I have some wood projects that Must get done soon. Thanks.

B

I almost forgot, and HOW Could I, ROBIN, We miss you, Come Home you are on the wrong side of the world. and well maybe I'm just a little bit Jealous. Hope everything is all right out there.

On 2008-07-08 18:10, prairie jade wrote:

the wyoming nephrite is the best america had to offer-but the BLM limits you to surface picking-and folks have been walking that sage desert consistently for the last 60 years- jade remains but its harder and harder to find..
..remember while looking that most wyoming jade has a tan or a red rind covering the exterior- aside from a few jade slicks greated by windblown sand.
you can find rockhounds willing to sell some jade in rawlins lander laramie and casper- but the real apple green and the translucent emerald green are hard to find at any cost now.

Interesting. Thanks PJ - sounds very much like the state of play here in NZ! Best/easiest stone collected years ago, still around but virtually impossible to find/buy at any price, fossicking rights now very restricted.. To my mind, this can only mean that the value of good quality jade, worked or unworked, can only rise.. :wink:

ahhhhh my boss has been away for about two weeks and i haven't been able to carve =(
I'm getting withdrawal symptoms i cant wait to get back into it.
IL start a small tiki of some kind and post some pictures in here.
Just need some inspiration...

On 2008-07-17 01:32, GreenCarvings wrote:

IL start a small tiki of some kind and post some pictures in here.
Just need some inspiration...

Well youre in the right place! :) If youre not ready to start your own thread yet, I always intended for this thread to be a place for others to post their stonework. Keep us posted!

Ed:double post

Tama

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2008-07-17 02:02 ]

bump for Surfintiki

now we're talkin!:D:D:D:D

Hey there guys im Reuben im 15 and i work in a small carving studio here in nz.There hasnt been much stoning going on here so i thought id post few pictures of some of my carvings from awhile back.
As you can probaly see the finishing is a bit rough as i used to rush through it all,iv slowed down now though concentrating on getting a good quality finish on all my peices.
Baby tiki

A pekapeka

Fern

Toki

Rimu Tiki

Whale

Manaia/Ouroboros

Hey Reuben - I still havent made it down to Hokitika to try and catch you and/or Steve. Crazy considering its only 20mins down the road but we tend to turn the other way at the junction & head towards Greymouth for most things. Youre more than welcome to drop in at my place if youre ever passing through Kumara, just drop me an email/PM..

Nice 'first' post bruddah! Love the little peeky-tiki & the fern-frond piece & the finish on your whale is perfection. (might have to pick your brain in regards to how that binding on the toki is done too..)

ps: Is the pekapeka carved from tangiwai?

Keep up the good work!
Tama (Andy)

Hey tama,to be honest I'm not sure if it is tangiwai i wouldn't know how to tell i know tangiwai is bowenite not nephrite like kawakawa kaharangi or inanga but i don't know how to tell from looks ,i found that piece in a container of off-cuts and it looked like a beautiful colour so i carved it.The baby tiki actually started out from a moon design i had in mind but the tiki just sort of..fell into the moon and made baby tiki peeking from his crib.The whale is a more recent piece that i took my sweet time on but when i stand back and compare older works to that one i realise taking my time is essential.Steve's gone off for a week but when he gets back on Monday il show you a manaia I'm working on.
Cheers GC

B

Hey there guys im Reuben im 15 and i work in a small carving studio here in nz.There hasnt been much stoning going on here so i thought id post few pictures of some of my carvings from awhile back.
As you can probaly see the finishing is a bit rough as i used to rush through it all,iv slowed down now though concentrating on getting a good quality finish on all my peices.

Ruben, Welcome to TC although you've been here awhile, Man what a Fortunate guy, 15 and working in a carving shop and carving beautiful stuffs liken these? Wow I'm really impressed, Love the baby peeki-tiki and the Whale just blows me away. I Love the finish but the subtle details and shape are just incredible.

Stick with it and you will be worrying about plagiarism sooner than you know what it is all about. Really nice stuff and I think you should start your own thread and fill it full of photos of all your stuff! Also don't be afraid to show some progress shots if you have any.
NICE!

Benz:Thank you so much!,il start a thread when my boss returns on Monday.

S

Great Stuff keep them coming.

Just to prove that Paipo and I arent lying; that we really are qualified to do this stuff; that there really is a 'jade skool' that offers qualifications to stoners:

A bit like my tour of 'Te Papa' Museum, the following is just a random set of snaps that will probably increase your knowledge very little, but which you may find interesting all the same..

--

The CARVING Room: (there are other rooms for drawing/art, Tikanga Maori, business studies, etc, but this is the only one worth documenting here. Four rows of four students, a maximum intake of sixteen per year.

One studious lass hard at it already, good to see.. (pics taken before most of the long-haired layabouts have managed to drag themselves out of bed, :lol: )

Each workstation consists of a grinding/sanding/polishing unit (as well as grinding wheels shown, the main grinding unit can also take a jakobs chuck to hold grinding 'points' and rubber sanding/polishing drums)..

..and a handpiece, over a sink. Also a retractable dust-extraction unit which is tucked away behind the grinder when not in use:

A selection of diamond-coated grinding spheres, 'mushrooms', turbine wheels & points:

A new addition since P'po & I left; diamond belts (lower left) that fit on rubber 'expanding' drums - fast clean up/scratch removal for simple convex forms; frequently used in the mass production industry. Similarly the flat diamond pads at rear:

A few inspirational Tiki piccies on the wall:

And would you look at that! - the invites for the graduate exhibition that is held at the end of each year:

*spot the typo/omission from this years invite Paip'? (Diploma and..) doh! heads will roll..

Accepting enrollments for 2009 now (International student fees apply - please PM for details, :lol: :wink: )

T

Holy mother, Dang that is so nice. Thanks for sharing..

T

Nice pics, Tama, but does anybody ever get to use those machines . . . or are they just for show. The workstations look a bit too clean . . . and much different than those you and Paipo use.

B

Timidtiki, don't you remember when you were last in school(or teaching) that they have these janitor guys who come around every nigh and tidy everything up so its ready for the next class? :P :D :lol:
Thanks for the tour Tama, makes me want to apply right now. For now I can only Imaging using all those tools and carving that lovely NZ Ponamu. Wake me when it's Over!

oh...my...frickin...god. LET ME IN, LET ME IN!

And heres the manaia i finished today =)

GC.

P

i give up.

i offer all my tools to the highest bidder.

TamaPoutini , head down arse up mate , you ain't got time to be chatting on the internet ,
not now that you got this young fella snapping at ya heels :lol:

Ruben ,
kia ora , naumai ehoa ,
tino pai to mahi , to tohora , to pepe marama ,
tino reka pounamu katoa ,
kia ora ano :)
ngakau na ,
Toka

In the heart of my soul . I would that I had been born in Celtic lands
But I was born here . A Celt in Maori lands . And my heart is content

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-10-09 05:39 ]

B

RUBEN, Excellent piece, I'm impressed and Happy you finished it and posted photos. Really Sweet. A bit rough around the edges but barely noticeable. This kind of work earns you Great Respect, Keep it coming.

PDrake, 50$ and I'll pay shipping! :P Thats just my first bid.

Benz: thank you for your kind encouragement and feedback,after looking back on it i see the head area needed more of a scrub up to smooth it out.constructive criticism is welcomed =) it all helps me get better.

And Toataiaha,excuse me for this but.... may i please have a translation?.:blush:

T

No worries mate .

Ruben ,
good heath , welcome friend ,
your work is very good , your whale , your moon baby ,
all of your pounamu is sweet ,
good health again :)
regards,
Jock

In the heart of my soul . I would that I had been born in Celtic lands
But I was born here . A Celt in Maori lands . And my heart is content

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-10-09 05:50 ]

Toataiaha,thank you friend for the warm welcome,its put a smile on m' dial :)

Another great day at work :D
And a few pictures to keep you happy.
A couple of progress shots of a hei-matau i made today.

And a couple of peices from a few days ago.A toki,manaia spiral,Maori sun god(carved ages ago),a mere.
Also a shot of our set up here.

GC.

T

Great work and I don't know the first thing about carving anything. I think the only thing I've actually ever carved was a turkey or a pumpkin. :lol: But I do enjoy coming to these post and seeing all this great talent. Love your pieces and thanks for sharing.

B

Excellent stuff GC and Man what an Awesome shop to have at your disposal and to spend the day in every day. What is your job there, are you a carver? Your small pieces are looking great and even though some are "Old" they have lots of great qualities. But, like you said earlier, you need to slow down a bit and be more mindful of your lines and edges taking the time to refine them will give you a perfection you seek. Al in time, just keep practicing, practicing, practicing. I will say this, I'd hate to be your competitor in a few years because even now you would give many artists a run for the money! :P

On 2008-10-10 05:16, Benzart wrote:
Excellent stuff GC and Man what an Awesome shop to have at your disposal and to spend the day in every day. What is your job there, are you a carver? Your small pieces are looking great and even though some are "Old" they have lots of great qualities. But, like you said earlier, you need to slow down a bit and be more mindful of your lines and edges taking the time to refine them will give you a perfection you seek. Al in time, just keep practicing, practicing, practicing. I will say this, I'd hate to be your competitor in a few years because even now you would give many artists a run for the money! :P

Thanks tikipaka and Benz.
I work at the shop everyday after school for two hours just carving whatever i feel like carving but in the peak of the tourist season im usually flat out making small pendants to keep the shelf stocked.Its a great place to work we get heaps of interesting people coming through carving.If your ever comin through NZ Benz come and do a days carving with us :)

Awesome GC, I back up what Benz says - at this rate, you are going to be a fab carver. And I LOVE the workshop - lucky you to get a chance to work in such a space (and it looks so CLEAN!).

If I am ever down your way - I will have to drop in alright - was supposed to come down this month, but have been unable to get away from the farmyard animal :)

Next time.

Well done - looking forward to more of your work.
You COULD start your own thread you know!

KS

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 420 replies