Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Show your vintage Christmas and retro holiday decor

Pages: 1 2 3 4 186 replies

T

Bump,
This needs Christmas décor in the title as well, did a search and remembered Christmas décor was not in the title.

Thanks Haka!

Here's some new stuff.
Got a set of blow mold candles for ten bucks, but they were kinda messed up.

Here's the fix...

Got one of these for a buck!
Door mats...

Cut those plastic ornaments in half so as to put them on the house.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

T

THIS is the commercial you would see with the Christmas specials back in my day.
Norelco Santa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y888mx7hMZ0

Coca-Cola 70's Christmas Hilltop Commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zCsFvVg0UY

Funniest Christmas advert ever!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WLtCbPEyck

Commercial: Bud Light, Sleigh Ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D57GscUOUtA

Ok these are new....

John Lewis Christmas Advert 2014 – OFFICIAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSxOjBIjyhI

John Lewis Christmas Advert 2015 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuz2ILq4UeA

Amazing job on that candle Skip.
Merry Christmas to you

Wife’s find during summer. Missing cord but cords are pretty common in thrifts and at yard sales. Made in Taiwan so not too old-80’s.
She liked the graphic’s on the box so she bought it for a few bucks.
Btw, there are a couple of sites online that describe and date bubble lights.

UT

New to the house this year! A vintage made in Japan revolving wreath that plays Jingle Bells. Not sure of the date but it is gaudy as hell and I love it.

T

Cool!
Does it play ringle bewls?

A Christmas Story Chinese Restaurant Scene...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTq20prt0K8

T

Have you seen this?
These patterns are from U-Bild.
Now I have seen these at antique shows from long ago and now I know how they made them.
Buy the pattern, put on wood, cut out design.

IF you shellac them they would look like they came from the 50s.
Maybe next year…

http://www.u-bild.com/projects-holiday/189.htm

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-12-02 17:52 ]

Ahh Tikiskip, one of my favorite movie scenes of all time. To my surprise Dept 56 came out with a homage to this scene with this a handful of years ago:

Needless to say they go well with my Chinatown Christmas display. It may not be retro but it will be.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2016-12-05 13:41 ]

On 2016-09-04 23:30, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
My Wife and I were compelled to stop at a yard sale in San Marino, an upscale suburb N/E of L A. It looked like a waste of time till doggone it, my wife saw the beat up Blow Mold snowman. I knew she would buy it so I suggested that it was not worth more than 10 bucks. I was sure they wanted double that and we would not take him home with us. She walked away with this guy for 3 dollars. He’s missing his nose and the cord and light but that’s an easy fix. He’s about 4 ft tall.

The teardrop is a pool float that lights up at night. It is solar powered. The snowman has an opening at the base just big enough for the light. Not as bright as a bulb but bright enough to give the snowman a nice glow.

T

On 2016-12-05 13:39, creativenative wrote:

Love the Chinatown Christmas display!
We always try to go to local Chinatown when on vacation.

So I always thought that there was a Bowling alley next to that Chinese restaurant in the movie Christmas story.

BUT it looks more like it is a Chinese restaurant named Bowling Chop Suey Palace.

Ha! too funny, never saw that before.

We did go to the Peking Duck house in New York Chinatown they too cut the head off the duck at your table plus the feet.
They had ducks hanging from the ceiling all over the kitchen, don't know how they got away with that health code wise.

We took head plus the feet home to our nieces in a doggy bag.

Cool display!!

H

Just a few vintage Christmas items.

On 2016-12-11 12:44, hiltiki wrote:
Just a few vintage Christmas items.

Who the heck is Neol???

H

Just checking to see if anyone is paying attention :) :) :)

I'll see your Neol and raise you one.

Me and CeCe just got back from Hatch after a couple of great cocktails and settled down with a bottle of California Cab. Didn’t need to see Hilda’s and Mike’s spelling contest. I could use this keyboard mo betta If we were not laughing so much.
Mahalo

GLASS WAX STENCILS CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ZmmzwTzt8

CHRISTMAS STENCILS

T

Just got this sign this weekend.
Plus some other xmas to post later.
Snow makes it all Christmassy.

Hope nobody comes here lookin for a tree.

H

Mike Hooker, love it.

Skip, is it easy to get this glass wax cleaned afterwards?

Here are some more vintage Christmas stuff

there is red cellophane paper on each window.

Not to distract from the cool vintage Christmas display photos on this thread but thanks for the high praises on our Chinatown display, Tikiskip. My wife and I has been collecting these piece for over 20 years. Been on the road so I didn't reply earlier. Note: I was watching your clip of the film to compare buildings from the film with the display replica and from the sign down to the ground it's a good copy including the Chinese characters on the sign. From the sign up it's been heavily augmented so the building would fit in a Chinatown neighborhood and not a building from anywhere middle America. Some of these displays where manufactured in China so the calligraphy on the sign are correct and the faces of the Chinese figurines are well done without being caricatures. Side note: I bought a cheap and tiny MP4 player and tiny speaker and I played that "Ringle Biels" song and William Hung's "Hung for the Holidays" classic Christmas CD (sarcasm) and hid them in the Chinatown Christmas display for more atmosphere. Ha ha ha, not ho, ho, ho. Happy Holidays everyone!!!!

Tiki Movies & Tiki TV @ southseascinema.org

[ Edited by: creativenative 2016-12-13 20:32 ]

[ Edited by: creativenative 2016-12-13 20:41 ]

[ Edited by: Creativenative 2017-01-02 23:12 ]

T

"Skip, is it easy to get this glass wax cleaned afterwards?"

Well yes and no, That is I use White shoe polish not Spray snow or glass wax.
Now White shoe polish comes off very easy but if it gets wet ie rain it's done.
I just put my décor on the inside of the window and it's fine.

I think I now have a collection of Christmas stencils.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-12-14 10:07 ]

On 2016-12-11 12:44, hiltiki wrote:

On some Santa's I name them....
like this one is,
Did you hear that? Santa.

This one is,
"Sieg Heil! Santa.

On 2016-12-11 19:34, mikehooker wrote:

And this one is...
"Santa is sorry your kitty died" Santa.

On 2016-12-13 18:31, hiltiki wrote:

T

Tikiskip is a Wrapper.

Retro Christmas wrap.
Love to collect and use the old Christmas tags.
On the cool tags you don't want to mess up you can Xerox them and use over and over.

Here are a few Christmas stencils...

Even collect old Betty Crocker Christmas...
To me Christmas is old and traditional.

H

Skip, love all your vintage christmas stuff. Would be interesting to see some of the actual stencils.

T

"Would be interesting to see some of the actual stencils."

Here is our door this year.
Will take some photos of the actual stencils later.
Most of ours are not punched out so they are hard to see.

Our Flex comes with a 110 power outlet in the car soooo...
Use it.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••**•
MERRY CHRISTMAS from TIKISKIP!

Supernice pix Skip. I like your handiwork too!
Cheers

T

Thanks nui 'umi 'umi.

Well it's over, now the long haul till spring.

One more collection.
Parcel post Mailing labels...

OGR

Great graphics on the label's Skip! Thanks! 40's era?

Here's a tiny glimpse into our Christmas world before we break it all down.

Putz houses, some we've made ourselves over the past few years and the others along with the villagers are vintage:

The snowman and santa village is also a mix of old and new.
The wreaths my wife made out of vintage bulbs and ornaments. She's also made them for friends in the past.
The Santa head is real big and made of foam.
The elves feet hold our stockings.
The blow mold cookie jar was a top want for my wife. We'd come across them every year but always for crazy money. Finally got her one at a flea market for the right price last year.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. We've probably got over 20 blow molds outside and tons of other stuff all over the house. We take Christmas seriously around here.

Great collection Mike!!
Show the Blow molds.
Love the handmade Christmas stuff, I make pipe cleaner Xmas people.

On 2016-12-29 08:39, Or Got Rum? wrote:
Great graphics on the label's Skip! Thanks! 40's era?

I think the last one may be that old, but most I would guess more like 50s.
Who knew there were so many of these made.

OGR

They are very cool. I have collected (and been to tons of markets) boatloads of different "things" over the years, but do not recall the tags...something new to look for when I can get around.

T

"but do not recall the tags...something new to look for when I can get around."

I must admit to not posting about them till now in fear that I may light a fire into some people and not be able to find then as much.
This is what happened when I posted about baskets for light making.

But I have enough so do not need more, it is the hunt that is fun.

In making Christmas décor just think years after you are gone an Xmas item may be put out year after year making your creation a part of who knows how many Christmases.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

OGR

"I must admit to not posting about them till now in fear that I may light a fire into some people and not be able to find then as much.." :)

Don't worry Skip, I will only clear out the WI,IL,MI, MN areas. Actually, my thing is vintage Bubble light sets/boxes.

"Don't worry Skip, I will only clear out the WI,IL,MI, MN areas. Actually, my thing is vintage Bubble light sets/boxes."

Good thing nobody in Ohio comes to TC as they are all on that "other" site, Ha!
"my thing is vintage Bubble light sets/boxes."

I would say my thing is vintage, vintage anything.
But the graphics on the old Christmas and even Halloween is so cool.
Man I just love vintage Holiday stuff.

Used to be able to buy some really old and cool stuff and decorate my restaurant with it.
I took great care to make the place look old, 40s/50s even got a phone from the 50s that had the old ring.
Well once I sold the place the guy got a new phone, Halloween décor was new blood and gore stuff, in a restaurant!

But then after I left the phone barely rings for carry outs any more so it may not matter, my phone rang all day as we did 80 to 100 carry outs per day.

H

Love the pictures of all the vintage christmas stuff. Here's one last picture before I put everything away tomorrow.

Such fun stuff! Really love those tags.

My family used to have a Santa like yours in the center of your photo, Hiltiki. I remember having to repair his beard one year. Unfortunately he didn't make it to me. But at least I got the crazy potted Santa & Elf head plants (posted a few pages back.) And the Popsicle stick star ornament I made in kindergarten.

Mahalo to all who posted here. I really enjoyed the pix and banter . I’m a sucker for anything even hinting at nostalgia.
Cheersc all

OGR

"I would say my thing is vintage, vintage anything..."
Me also Skip, I was just yappin about Xmas stuff. Funny thing about the phone, I had one on my home bar in the basement, my 14 year old daughter (at the time) needed to call her friend. I told her "use that phone", she had no idea what to do. Who would have thought, as it was so "normal" to use to use a rotary to us.

T

We had one of those Santas, ours used to play a song when you pushed the belly button under his coat.

Hey hiltiki you may want to check these out for your Christmas cards next year they are called Show offs from the 60s?
You can find them on ebay or you can even make your own by gluing Christmas stickers or cupcake toppers any small cool Xmas thing to some clothespins.
The clothespins come in smaller sizes that work well for this.

There are 37 Show offs Christmas eBay listings at this time from about $8.00 and up.
The Poinsettia ones are the coolest.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE1965-CHRISTMAS-MERRY-CHRISTMAS-POINSETTIA-CARD-SHOW-OFFS-SEALED-PACKAGE-/331475544455?hash=item4d2d7b6987:g:X6gAAOSwNSxU2Vlo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Show-Offs-Decorative-Christmas-Card-Hanger-1965-GREEN-/302167539984?hash=item465a96c110:g:beEAAOSw44BYH6mU

We have a barn wood wall that I made pushpins into Christmas adorned string holders even.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2017-01-01 10:48 ]

H

What a great idea for hanging cards, thank you skip. Now I need some vintage cards so I can cut out figures and things to glue to the clothes pins.

My wife found the beat up snowman at a yard sale some time ago. Bout 5 foot tall
The Santa head was rescued from a trash can. He has slight damage under his nose. We patched him up an added the lights inside. unlike the blowmolds-he is made of a thin translucent plastic. About 24”x18” Very fragile. My grandkids call him the Coca-Cola Santa.
We bought the standing Santa at an antique shop in Ventura last week. He is in excellent condition.36” tall

Ok you axed for it.

I like old plastic Christmas do dads.
Many times I find them for a buck.

These are cake toppers, I like to buy these all massed up as they cost less and then fix them up.
You can put these in drinks as a fruit pick, or use them in warping gifts.
Many uses for these....

before..

after..

Not going to open this one as the package is cool...

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••**•
MERRY CHRISTMAS from TIKISKIP!

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2017-12-15 10:40 ]

Love this thread!!

Here are some more Christmas mailing labels.
I had a repo label done with my Tikiskip logo put on it.
Then I had them wrapped in an old Denison packaging logo, hint there is only one of these packages made.

Even had Tikiskip fragile labels made.
I use these when I send a light to people, plus give them out when I meet people in person,
not available in stores.
Just think one day some goofy label collector may be looking for these in the future, Ha!

The others are real old Christmas mailing labels.

Christmas matches, the match box is round and has a pom pom on top like a santa hat....

¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸SNOWMEN SCORE!!!¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸

¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2017-12-15 10:41 ]

Those Santa matches are the business!!

T

Hey Skip, love those plastic do dads. My sister finds tons of those and they are great. She has wrapped many of the gifts she has given me with vintage wrapping paper over the years and I always look forward to that. I can’t put my finger on the reason why but vintage Christmas stuff always gets me into the spirit of the season way more than the modern junk. Keep the pics coming and MERRY CHRISTMAS :D

I'm the same way Trav.
Take pictures of the gifts your sister wraps for you and save them it's so easy to do now a days.
Dam we used to have to take the film to the store wait a week to see pic's, I laugh when people say it's too hard to post on TC.

I can remember my sister getting a new coat for Christmas and the box was so cool, she tossed the box aside so I got to keep it, even saved scraps of different wrapping papers
That was about 1972 I still have that box.
So I guess I was born a hoarder.

Here is the coolest Santa I saw at a antique show it is a Holt Howard and was about three foot tall and lit up, would have bought it if not for the $400.00 dollar price tag.

I give you "hands up don't shoot Santa"

º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,:MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM TIKISKIP!!:º¤ø,¸¸ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

Luv dem Santas Skip! Keep em coming.
Merry Christmas

Pages: 1 2 3 4 186 replies