Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Bowana's Other Crafts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 856 replies

B

Clarita: ¡Hola, Amiga! Yes, the guitar is out of control! I don't know how I'm going to get myself out of this one! :)
Buzzy: Ah, nuts! Those 1/3 scale Teles look pretty good. Can I make Tiki hats with you guys instead?
surfintiki, seeksurf, Clysdalle: Thanks! El Robotito strikes again!

Here's a shot of the übertiki pendant all finished:

I'll have ü.t. and these other pendants at Oasis.

Thanks for looking!

Bowana

B

oops!

[ Edited by: bowana 2008-07-10 07:00 ]

Outstanding design on the übertiki!

Absolutely love the headress!

B

Bowana, the Ubertiki is really Garishly Awesome and the other pendants are Way Excellent too. The secret (besides the Artist!) looks to be depth of detail in all the right places, adn of course the coloring helps too As does Hangin' with Already highly approved other art pieces like the telecaster and Maori chief Te Aho Te Rangi Wharepu.
How large are the pendants and can you save an ubertiki for me Pleeze? :) :P :lol:

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jul 10, 2008 4:36 AM

Wow he looks great! There are going to be a lot of happy catz wearing those...

B

Hey Bowa, those pendants look very nice. I simply love the wooden moai, awesome.

Benjamin.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 10, 2008 11:01 AM

Damn you!! Haven't you taken enough of my money, yet!?

B

Thanks for visiting, Lake Surfer, Benz, GMAN, Benella, and GROG!

Benz, the übertiki is about 3 1/4". I'll be sure to save ya one. GROG, I also accept clamshells or whatever cavemen are using for monetary units these days. :)

Here's a day's worth of pendant casting work:

Now to grind the backs smooth, slap a paint/finishing job on 'em, string 'em up, and hopefully run them out of town! :)

Thanks for stopping by.

Bowana

It's like being served pendants in bed with that dinner tray :wink:

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Sep 9, 2008 8:39 PM

Babalu invited me to come participate in the goings-on of his Laboratory of Ceramic Sorcery. He and a few other talented TC sculptors have been making some very cool mugs. It was difficult to come up with something new and different because of all the other great mug designs already out there.

So I went a little nuts and came up with this:

Say hello to the Aloha Sisters! The figures are 6 1/2" tall. Better put some ice in that drink!
Why is this Tiki smiling?

Here's some progress shots Babalu took:

Thanks again Babs for sharing your studio with us! http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=24647&forum=18&start=240 Check out his thread to see what's going on!

Bowie

B

I love it, the girls are perfect and the tiki is certainly happy !

Benjamin.

B

I agree with Ben there, the tiki IS happy and So would I be if I had this Mug. This is one of the best all time mugs in my book! Really well done!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 10, 2008 8:56 AM

That look like a good mug for GROG.

B

Sir B,

You are just plain one of the most incredible cats I've ever met. What are these figure 5 - 6 inches tall?

Folks, I don't know how many of you have ever tried to sculpt the human figure accurately before, but it ain't easy! It takes years and years of practice, and still you have to born with skills to be good at it...not many can do this. Not to mention the dress code that is involved...

C

On 2008-09-09 20:39, Bowana wrote:

Oh WOW! beautiful, beautiful!! super original idea for a mug!! super complex to make! and most of all as always with Sir Bowana, a lot of soul in every single piece!!!
Amazing!
Fingers already crossed for the firing part!

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Sep 10, 2008 3:08 PM

Bowana -

Wow man! If this is what you come up with when you "go nuts" - brother, let it rip!! This mug blows me away in execution and style and believe me, if I were to give this mug away as a gift to any one of my "non-tiki" friends or co-workers - any one of them would be PROUD to own it. A classic in the making. Salute!

B

Thanks for your visit, Benella, Benz, GROG, Babs, (yes, I sculpt while wearing Power Rangers PJs :)) Clarita, and TikiG! The girls are drying out at this moment, getting ready for the big oven. There's been a few issues with the drying, but that's ceramics for you. Keep your fingers and toes crossed.

Non-Tiki shameless plug:
Here's some links to some short clay animation movies I made another lifetime ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJByv9J9I4c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e7Yxk-51qo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07ZdpLOxyJQ

Check 'em out!

Bowana

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 17, 2008 9:38 AM

MINE!!!!

Dave, I couldn't stay in lurker mode any longer without letting it be known what I thought, you are an INCREDIBLE dude! Babs is right, the human figure is very tough to sculpt, you inspired me a while back to buy some clay to experiment with but mine have a tendency to be smashed back into a lump afterwards! I have never regreted coming down to the first chop at Babs place when you guys did the mold-making demo / hot dog cart chop. I do regret however that I haven't been able to make more chops for whatever reason. Everyone in this San Diego click of artists has given me more inspiration in so many ways, and in such a short period of time that it has taken over a big part of my life! My god, I'm playing with palm logs, sticks I find on the ground, clay, wood from exotic places, rock and bone, paint, I even bought a fucking Kiln that I haven't had a chance to wire up yet! I need a bigger fucking garage thanks to you guys! Regardless of the financial burdon you all have placed on me, I have to send flowers to all the SD choppers that are responsible; Dave, you Cammo, and Babs display an amazing level of talent, teamwork, imagination, and congeniality that you 3 should form a joint venture of some sort! Buzzy, what can one say about the 1-man Tiki factory who so unselfishly provided me with my first truckload of logs, I won't forget man! 4WD Bill who opened up his place to all of us so many times and welcomed my son into the chopping world, gave me some of the best advice on getting started, you da man, Bill! The girls of chop, Mieko, Kate, cheeky, Zaya and Hilda, the steadfast rocks of the chops providing inspiration, motivation, and stability, and a whole lot of great food, the chops wouldn't function properly without them! Clysdale with his diverse styles and different outlook, I'm amazed at what you produce bro, makes me mad I got rid of my old surfboards too! Billy, you are turning into a chopping machine, seems this group has had a lasting affect on you too! Don't stop being you, you made me laugh many times bro, good medicine! Erik the Red, lurking in the shadows too, thanks for the good cigar brudda, next time I see you I have a Krush Classic I want to hand off to you, I think you'll like it! Can-Sam & Pops, great folks, I enjoy your company and appreciate the offer to ride down with you, hope you guys are there when I can make another chop!

I don't know if I left anyone out, if I did, it's Alzhiemers setting in, but the last thing I want to do is alienate anyone or hurt anyones feelings. I just thought I would use up space on Daves thread to say thanks to a group of very talented folks who have drastically changed my life for the better since I became aquainted with you all. And that really goes out to ALL the talented folks here at TC whose art and Ideas I will copy in the future, (LOL)

The Birdman of Arcadia
(reverting back to lurker mode!)

Z
Zaya posted on Wed, Sep 17, 2008 4:44 PM

Wow T birdman, that was really nice! I'll never forget when you asked me to burn a design on one of your carvings. I was never so nervous! It was a real honor.

Bowana, those short movies you made are so cool! I like the part in the third one when the skeletons are walking by the door real quick. What other neat things are you hiding from us? :)

Zaya

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 17, 2008 6:50 PM

Here's a few Bowana did right after those, no kidding that guy has some career -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xuk5c9pTCs

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x75H7NOnJKE

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnxlY8dMTyU

awesome videos B! love skeletons in the closet

Cool vids Dav! I'm guessing the 91X one was a station contest?

Time for a tiki claymation.

B

DAMN SIR B!!....you never cease to amaze me brother. Peas is my favorite.

T-Bird...Very nice of you to toss out those words to us all...rock on man!

B

Thanks to all who stopped by :)!

GROG, maybe Bowana swap mug for rights to GROG's invention of wheel.

Birdman, what can I say? Those were some of the most sincere and heartfelt words I've ever heard. I hope everyone who should read it has done so. Thanks for expressing yourself. Hope it's not long before we see some new work from you!

Zaya, what other things am I hiding from you all? Well, I may have a few more tricks up my sleeve, but they'll have to wait.

Cammo, you are a funny guy!

tikithomas, if you have a youtube account, post a dialog for Skeletons in the Closet!

4WD, yeah it was for 91X's "X-Pose The X" contest in 1991. I won 3rd place with that vid.

Babalu, right back at ya, brother! Thanks for always having your studio open for us wandering ceramicists.

Speaking of which, here is the latest mug I made in Babalu's studio.

"La Calaverita" is it's name. (Thanks, Clarita) :)

Thanks for the pictures, Sir Babs!

Bowie

dy no mite

B

Thanks, Hank!

The Skull mug is being galzed right now, and The Aloha Chix just made it out of the kiln. In the meantime I came up with another mug.

The GIRLY mug! With all those flowers and stuff I couldn't think of a more fitting name.

Check Babalu's ceramics thead for more cool stuff http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24647&forum=18&start=465&475

Bowana

...The drums!...The drums!...

[ Edited by: Bowana 2008-10-29 07:32 ]

Not just TWO
but THREE girlys now!
You're the Bow-Master!
Clay luvs you!

Amazing detail as always! What type of clay is that? Keep up the great work.

B

OMG Bows...u r one talented mo-fo...

i have attempted to sculpt attractive ladies, and they end up looking more like ur lil' CFTBL!!

amazing work, sir!!!

mad alohas, t

The drums, the drums. The girls, the girls. Gotta love the girls,
always great stuff Bowana.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!! That is frickin' SICK man. I want the girlie mug, but that's so hot my wife might be jealous!

B

Man-Oh-MAN Bowie, what can I say that hasn't been already said, your mugs are ready for Prime Time for all the world to see, They are just plain Incredible!
Do you have any large production plans, because I KNOW tons of peeps wold put your stuff right on top of the list, I Certainly want'em ALL!
HAPPY Happy haPPY

B

Thanks for visiting all! :)

Thanks LLT! ...and I luvs clay too!

It's water based clay of some type, Tikilizard. I'll have to find out from Babalu exactly what kind.

Hey dere, BigToe, yeah sculpting an ugly monster is easy. Trying to make something pretty, that's a real challenge!

Thanks Conga! The drums, the drums! Aaaaahhh!

Tyler, just keep telling her, "It's only a mug, it's only a mug...!"

Benz, The Aloha Sisters mug would be very difficult to mold, so that one will definitely be a one of a kind only. Girly mug could be easily produced, but I think I would like to re-sculpt it in oil clay. That way I could get better detail. Glad ya like em!

Bowana

H
harro posted on Fri, Oct 31, 2008 9:12 AM

Hey Bowie,

hell man, those last coupla mugs are outta sight! the girlies are just so perfect!

your pushing the clay thing to a whole new level!

good to see.

C

yes very nice!! So little detail in water based clay, amazing! but i think the name should be the manly fantasy mug :)

T

Wow Dave!!! :o

It's been a while since I've had a chance to look at any of the creating threads, but someone mentioned to me how amazing your new mugs are.

Well done. More tiki please. :wink:

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Nov 2, 2008 9:35 PM

On 2008-10-31 09:12, harro wrote:
good to see.

Thanks, mate! Good to hear from you!

On 2008-11-01 11:52, Clarita wrote:
i think the name should be the manly fantasy mug :)

Gracias, amiga! I guess I can't argue with you! Touche! :)

On 2008-11-02 08:07, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Well done. More tiki please. :wink:

You want it, you got it!

But if anyone wants to know if I'll be making any mugs with buffed out surfer dudes on them, the answer is HELL NO!

...unless Buzzy will pose for me.

Bowana Donna Fo Fonna

:) :lol: :lol: :lol:

T

On 2008-10-30 15:52, Bowana wrote:
Benz, The Aloha Sisters mug would be very difficult to mold, so that one will definitely be a one of a kind only. Girly mug could be easily produced, but I think I would like to re-sculpt it in oil clay. That way I could get better detail. Glad ya like em!

Well that's a bummer because the Aloha Sisters is over-the-top good! But me down for some of the girly mugs. Those are killer too!

On 2008-11-02 21:35, Bowana wrote:

...unless Buzzy will pose for me.

My modeling services come at a very high price. I'll agree to do it for a 20oz bottle of Wild Cherry Pepsi(cold), and an autographed 8" x 10" photo of the tiki carving robot:

Do we have a deal?
I'd prefer that we NOT shake on this deal this time because I still don't believe that your hand "slipped" the last time we went to shake hands over a deal. Or at least we'll shake before I get into costume...

Buzzy Out!

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Nov 4, 2008 7:33 AM

Hey, thanks for checking in Tikiizard and BigT!

Well Buzzman, you drive a hard bargain. So you want that Wild Cherry Pepsi to be on ice, eh? Won't settle for one at room temperature? I'll see what I can do about that. I might have to go freeze some water.

The Tiki Carving Robot picture should pose no problem. I'll have to go my printer and place another order. I'm running a bit low at this time. They've proven to be quite popular with the kids. I think they're cutting holes in the eyes and wearing them as Halloween masks.

And as far as my hand slipping when we shook on our last deal, I'm telling you that was an accident!
It could have happened to anybody!

Bowana

C

YAY! The Butchzzy mug, alright! now we girls will have something to dream about too (with total respect for Zaya of course i don't mean to disrespect no one! it's just a little joke)! I imagine tree buzzys in their red underwear with little Santa hats in tree diferent sexy posses, it would be a total smash for Christmass!!! Can't wait! :D!

The public demands it!

Make it so...
Buzzy Out!

B

Please....don't do it Sir B.

The world does not need a mug depicting Buzzy in butt floss.

B

man those girls look great!!!!

would you do a trade for a lifesize one with ...........

H

oy!

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2008 9:46 PM

Not to change the subject, but here's a couple of Moai I've been working on.

I started it way back last summer.

It's an AAC slice of profile from when I was making this guy.

This second guy I'm making from a piece of NotMahogany I got from 4WD.

The head is about 6" tall. I started it at Hodaddy's Chop a while back.

Speaking of Hodaddy:

On 2008-11-07 13:01, hodadhank wrote:
oy!

Oy! is right, Hank! On second thought, I take back what I said earlier.
I am changing the subject!

Bowie Wowowie

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 856 replies