Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Announcing Tiki Night @ The Tonga Hut! Starting SAT FEB 24th!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 157 replies

Have no fear! Suzy's back! The thread is safe to read again! : )

Well kids, my computer is sick and will be in the hospital for a week, so no fancy posts from me for the time being. : (
I'm already feeling the Photoshop withdrawals. . . .so cold. . .

BUT!-I thought you would like to know a few more fabulous facts and tantalizing tidbits about our FIRST OFFICIAL TIKI NIGHT at the TONGA HUT, even without all the bells and whistles.

Mark you calenders!

WHEN: SATURDAY FEBRUARY 24TH!
9pm-? Whenever I kick you guys all out!

WHERE: The historic and newly restored TONGA HUT
12808 Victory Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91606
(818) 769-0708

WHO: All of you! All fans of Tiki, Hawaiiana, Exoctica, Surf and Cocktail Culture . . . Good people, good music, good stiff drinks!

HOW: Any which way you can!

*THIS JUST IN: The amazing DJ LEE will be spinning his analog genius all night long for our listening and dancing pleasure!

*SNEAK PEAK AT BARTENDER SUZY'S SPECIAL COCKTAIL LIST:
The Ginger Flame-(vodka, raspberry, peach and ginger beer)-Let me light your fire!
Rangoon Rickey- (Rum, ginger beer, fresh lime and lemongrass)-You heard me!
Mauna Kea Cocktail- (Gold rum, macadamia liqueur, and delicious goodness)- Mmmmmm!
The Stardust- (Vodka, creme de cacao, goldschlagger)-It'll put stars in your eyes!

NOT TO BE MISSED!

*Also TC'ers, I need your help! Trying to decide on some fun eye candy/movies to play for our Tiki Night. I would love to hear your favorites, so let me know here on the thread and I will do my best to track them down!

Mahalo!
See you on the 24th!
-Bartender Suzy

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 13, 2007 10:06 AM

What Suzemuze doing posting at 3:15am, ? Get some sleep, girl.

Suzy drink list sound delish! GROG want try one of each.

Movies GROG suggest to play:

1 Million Years B.C. (1966, starring GROG's mom)

Caveman (1981 with Ringo Starr)
Quest for Fire (1982)
Clan of the Cave Bear (1986 with Daryl Hannah)
Iceman (1984)

Movies not Tiki, but like watching GROG home movies.

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-02-13 10:09 ]

Thanks for the movie suggestions GROG.
Man, your mom is HOT!!!!

Any NON-Neanderthals are welcome to post their favorite movies as well. : )

Especially tiki, surf, go go, beach party, tropical type stuff!

'Psyco Beach Party' is on my list for sure!

Oh yes, we will also be releasing details about the next exciting Tonga Hut Art Show on Saturday the 24th-so be there and be the first to find out about our AMAZING MYSTERY GUEST ARTIST!!!!!!

S
squid posted on Tue, Feb 13, 2007 2:18 PM

I'm going with Grog's picks. His mom IS hot!!! Is she gonna be there?
The gene pool must have been drained before Grog's birth.

[ Edited by: squid 2007-02-13 14:20 ]

Man I was lookign forward to this,
But I am going to be outta town now, for the Satan's Pilgrims, and
Ghastly Ones shows in Portland, and Seattle that weekend.

sorry :(
Jeff(bigtikidude)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 13, 2007 6:32 PM

oops

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-02-13 18:33 ]

On 2007-02-13 18:32, GROG wrote:
oops

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-02-13 18:33 ]

D'oh!

p.s.

T

Hey Everybody! We are really excited to see you all again for some Tiki Madness at the Hut. And super excited to have Suzy behind our bar for the first time! Its gonna be lots of fun. I too will have one of each of those crazy cocktails :wink:

See you all Sat the 24th!

Ana aka Mulatiki

Here are my picks:

I recall this movie featured a Tiki Monster:

"It Came from Hell"

And since I'm talking monster movies, you've gotta love:

"Trilogy of Terror" -- with the murderous tiki

And the Russ Meyer sexploitation classic:

"Faster Pussy Cat, Kill Kill"

S

Nice selection Cheeky!
Maybe Suzy can slip one of those in when we're not checkin' out GROG's mom!

Any of the old Johnny Weissmuller as Tarzan movies is great for background visuals. Replete with painted midgets (Grog take note), tribal dancing and rituals, and plenty of shots of my bro Cheetah hammin it up, the tarzan DVD's can't be beat. I got the complete set as a gift awhile back, but I know they were picked up at dang ol Costco. Sidenote; Rumor has it Johnny's daughter lives somewhere near Santa Cruz, My friend met here and had a few drinks, but I have yet to meet her.

Uh uh uhh uhh uhhh uhhh (Tarzan call)
Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

[ Edited by: chongolio 2007-02-15 00:42 ]

Any of the old Johnny Weissmuller as Tarzan movies is great for background visuals. Replete with painted midgets (Kinny take note), tribal dancing and rituals, and plenty of shots of my bro Cheetah hammin it up, the tarzan DVD's can't be beat. I got the complete set as a gift awhile back, but I know they were picked up at dang ol Costco. Sidenote; Rumor has it Johnny's daughter lives somewhere near Santa Cruz, My friend met here and had a few drinks, but I have yet to meet her.

Uh uh uhh uhh uhhh uhhh (Tarzan call)
Chongolio

P.S.Grog tell your mom I really enjoyed her role in Mother, Jugs & Speed

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

Great movie suggestions everyone!

So much to choose from . . .!

I'm really hoping I can find 'From Hell It Came!' that looks awesome.
Can't beat 'Faster Pussycat' for the eye candy, and maybe that hunky Tarzan for the ladies (and primate lovers). So many great scenes, so little time together!
I wish I was all high-tech and could splice them all together in some trippy tiki montage. . .any TC'ers out there with that talent?

Speaking of talent, no need to hide under a rock Tyger Jimmy, you know I'm a huge fan of your work, and I certainly would not consider that spam.

Little Lost Tiki's 'History of the 7-11 on the otherhand. . . .

BigTikiDude, you will be missed!
Why stray so far from home when the party is HERE???!!!!
Well, ya better be in rare form next time to make up for it . . . I will plan on feeding you zombies until I get you dancin' to a 60's garage set!
I saw you shakin' it at the Bomboras show! : )

Mahalo everyone,

See you at the Tonga Hut, Saturday the 24th!

-Suzy

[ Edited by: atomikitty 2007-02-15 00:45 ]

Thanks Suzy , your Art - Paintings are the Katsssss MEOWWWWWWWWW , it otta be a Blast and Kool Drinks . well gotta go Time for some Whiskas Dry Food . HEHE

What's wrong with the History of 7-11?

Suzy,
I know it sucks to not be aroud for cool events. But the Ghastly ones and Satan's Pilgrims is a huge show in the surf crowd. sorry ,surf 1st tiki 2nd
in my book. :(
LLT, dude 7-11 sucks- period.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ahhh. . .
Surf vs. Tiki. . .
Man's eternal conflict. . .

Can't we all just get along!

No worries Tiki Dude, we understand. : )

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 16, 2007 9:21 AM

No we don't!

F#%K OFF BigTikiDude!! What are the Ghastly Ones and Satan's Pilgrims playing any differently than
you've heard them play a thousand times before? Plus, you probably have CDs off all the same shit you're going to spend all that money to fly there to hear them perform. And it's SURF MUSIC!!! Jeez Louise!

On the other hand, how often do get to drink yummy exotic drinks at a tiki bar mixed by Suzy the Drink Goddess?! Since the Lucky Tiki closed down, that's a rare event. The last time GROG get to worship at the altar/bar of the Drink Goddess and was blessed with a drink was at GROG's luau back in September of last year!

Surf music vs. tiki drinks-----now we see who the TRUE alcoholics are!!

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-02-16 09:27 ]

S
squid posted on Fri, Feb 16, 2007 1:34 PM

Whoah! Who pee in GROG Coco Pebbles?
Can't we all just get along????
sniff, sniff

Or as some of us in the surf music crowd say.
Can't we all just get along board?

Grog, you can't truly understand the allure of surf, unless you are a real reverb addict. I admit that I do love a good rum drink. and they are hard to find. But I can and have gone months without one. I.e.
I have alcoholism in my family. So I know that I need to be careful with my love of RUM.
But The I am a admitted Reverb Addict, and don't have any shame in that at all.
There is a big difference is seeing surf live, and listening to cd's
Plus I have only see Satan's Pilgrims 2 times before. They are from Portland and one guy lives in Memphis now, So they only play one a year now. And it been 7 years since I saw them last. Yes I see theGhastly Ones alot as they are from LA,
thats just an added bonus.
It seems that you may be a bit pent up, and angry after all the work you been doing on the movie, sounds like you need a drink more than I do :)

p.s. People Grog PMed me, and was all lovey dovy, and said he was just joking. he just a big softie at heart.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

S
squid posted on Fri, Feb 16, 2007 5:40 PM

Happy Happy!!! All is peaceful and joyous once again in Tikiland and Bigtikidude is on the road to recovery.

"Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a...um...er..uh.....reverb addict..."

I can think of worse vices.:)

admitting your an addict is the first step.
Only problem is, I dont wanna quit reverb.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I went there one week early and the joint was packed!
I heard it has been like that since late 2006.
Looks like Jeremy will be able to keep the lights on and then some.

Excellent tikimugs, although there was no glass washing, so by midnight they were all dirty.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 19, 2007 10:07 AM

GROG was going to offer to buy drinks for people who piss on Kirby's truck, but they usually come in Polly's car, and GROG like Polly. However, GROG will bring a stick to poke Kirby, and this time it's no charge. Better yet, GROG have a TIKI PADDLE painted by Ken Ruzic. GROG say let's paddle Kirby's ass for his birthday with the TIKI PADDLE!!! GROG first in line!!!

J

JenTiki next in line! Might as well put that dremeled paddle to work!

Zaya and I just decided that there is no way that we can miss out on all this fun.
We'll bring Zaya's maori paddle too so we can take it to kirby two at a time. The only line forming should be for drinks...

I bet it would leave that pattern on his rump.

See you guys there.

Buzzy out!

I'd like to leave Buzzy's paddle IN Kirby's rump! What better way for him to remember this splendid evening! Wonder if it would make an imprint inside his intestines? :)

J

On 2007-02-19 11:26, little lost tiki wrote:
I'd like to leave Buzzy's paddle IN Kirby's rump! What better way for him to remember this splendid evening! Wonder if it would make an imprint inside his intestines? :)

Eeeewwwwww!

Come on down Saturday Night and see it all first hand! "Hide the Paddle" game at 11:00 pm!

DISCLAIMER:

Little Lost Tiki's HIDE THE PADDLE game is NOT sanctioned, funded or supported by Bartender Suzy or thew TONGA HUT. Participate at your own risk!

Seriously though, so glad the Buzzy's will be joining us! That's an awesome maori paddle. I will personally make sure it doesn't walk out 'attached' to KIRBY in any way.

H

:( won't be making it this time, have fun everyone!

K
kirby posted on Mon, Feb 19, 2007 1:34 PM

sounds fun to me, but if there is a paddle up there where will I keep my head...

you got a little head! I'm sure you can fit both.... :)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 19, 2007 11:39 PM

On 2007-02-19 13:57, little lost tiki wrote:
you got a little head! and a big ass! I'm sure you can fit both.... :)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 20, 2007 10:42 AM

Looking forward to all the shenanigans on Saturday, Suze-muze.

And, if ya'll didn't notice before, this Saturday at the Tonga Hut we'll be announcing the next Tonga Hut art show happening in March, which will feature 2 new mugs from Tikifarm with some special visiting artists.

On 2007-02-20 10:42, GROG wrote:
And, if ya'll didn't notice before, this Saturday at the Tonga Hut we'll be announcing the next Tonga Hut art show happening in March, which will feature 2 new mugs from Tikifarm with some special visiting artists.

I thought it was scheduled in December?

Don't worry Freddie! I have a Time Machine!

I wish Little Lost Tiki had a Time Machine, then he could go back in time & post about it before I asked.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 20, 2007 10:39 PM

GROg, you are my hero.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 21, 2007 10:15 AM

Aw shux!

On 2007-02-20 22:39, GROG wrote:

GROG:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you're making my sides hurt from laughing...
whew!
K.

[ Edited by: kikekeki 2007-02-21 11:27 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 21, 2007 6:59 PM

Glad you enjoyed that.

GROG going to buy Kirby some "Depends" adult diapers for his birthday.

K

can you make sure there thong,grog...

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 22, 2007 12:12 AM

Okay now boys, behave! : )

But speaking of KIRBY and WOOD. . . (I am so happy I just got to use that segue-way!)I heard that he carved some awesome tiki barstools for the Tonga Hut!
Can't wait to check them out this Saturday!

Everytime I see this picture of LLT I think...

'license to kill gophers by the government of the united nations. They're like the Vietcong...Varmintcong'

Pages: 1 2 3 4 157 replies