Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Island at the Bali Hai November 2, 2007

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies

N

Hello Everyone,

Tiki Magazine is having its first art show November 2, 2007 at San Diego's Bali Hai restaurant. We have an all-star line-up of artists! Check out the cool poster by Hassan "Headhunter" Patterson. Mark your calendars, its a one night only show! Hope to see all of you there.

Nicktiki

[ Edited by: nicktiki 2007-07-15 19:51 ]

[ Edited by: nicktiki 2007-07-16 20:12 ]

The show sounds like a blast! Always love going to Bali Hai AND San Diego!!! We'll have to make a weekend out of it. Isn't Tiki Ray also participating in the show?

TL

Cool poster Nicktiki, are they going to be for sale also at the show? Definitely on my list for the evening.

sounds like a cool event, but um wasn't there supposed to be live entertainment at this?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

N

I'll try to answer all questions. Tiki Ray will be one of the artists at the show. His craftsmanship is something to see. Show Posters will be available at the show. There will be live music by the Smokin' Menehunes. We are also working on a few other things that I can't announce just yet. It should be a great night.

Nick

Nick,

An art show in San Diego with the only local artist being Bosko?

What about Clysdalle and Tikidav and Mieko?

Just throwing out the names of a couple of amazing folks in the SD area. There are a ton more.

Sounds like it might be a fun event though.

N

Hi Kate,

You're right. There are a lot of talented artists in San Diego. This isn't a slight on anyone. It was very tough narrowing the field. There are artists not involved with the show that I absolutely love their stuff. My hope is this can be an annual event and extend Tiki events into November.

Nick

YAY!
More stuff to paint!
What a Great Line-up!!!
Thanks Nick!

T

Nick rocks !!!!!!!!!!Thanks for the fix on the typo my man !Now I dont have to take crap from Ken . He's good at it !

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 16, 2007 9:18 PM

Why "narrow the field"???

Yay!!Smokin Menahune's, Now all weneed is San Diego's San Devils, and this will be a real shindig.
thanks for the answer Nick,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-07-16 18:46, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Nick,

Just throwing out the names of a couple of amazing folks in the SD area. There are a ton more.

There are quite a few amazing choppers, just in our group here in SD. Seems a shame, indeed to "narrow the field" at the expense of these other great local choppers being edged out by a guy who's tikis all look pretty similair. My wife even mentioned that when we ate at Mr Tiki. She said "You can sure tell the same guy did all of these tikis!"

Awesome I can't wait for this show to come around. But who the hell is Randy Bain?

Chongolio

J

On 2007-07-16 22:36, billybobaloo wrote:
There are quite a few amazing choppers, just in our group here in SD. Seems a shame, indeed to "narrow the field" at the expense of these other great local choppers being edged out by a guy who's tikis all look pretty similair. My wife even mentioned that when we ate at Mr Tiki. She said "You can sure tell the same guy did all of these tikis!"

Is it really necessary to put down one artist in an effort to promote a few others? :(
You can't really think that it's possible to put all the tiki artists in the world in one show, can you? Anyone who's any good will eventually get their time in the spotlight. At least a couple of the artists on the list for this show have never been in a Tiki Art Now show although they've been making tiki art for years! I don't hear them griping about it though. They know their time will come, as it will for any of the artists who make things people want to see.

I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing the work of the fantastic artists featured in Tiki Magazine's show! :)

On 2007-07-16 23:23, Chongolio wrote:
Awesome I can't wait for this show to come around. But who the hell is Randy Bain?

Chongolio

It's like finding out who Superman is

T

Isnt Randy Bain the guy who moved to the islands to get away ? The rumor I heard is that his brother was the lead singer for the band Nirvana and he shot himself . Now that guys ex wife Courtney Love keeps hounding this guy Randy for money for court costs so he bailed to Hawaii to create art . Well, thats the rumor I heard .

On 2007-07-16 23:40, JenTiki wrote:

On 2007-07-16 22:36, billybobaloo wrote:

Is it really necessary to put down one artist in an effort to promote a few others? :(
You can't really think that it's possible to put all the tiki artists in the world in one show, can you? Anyone who's any good will eventually get their time in the spotlight. At least a couple of the artists on the list for this show have never been in a Tiki Art Now show although they've been making tiki art for years! I don't hear them griping about it though. They know their time will come, as it will for any of the artists who make things people want to see.

I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing the work of the fantastic artists featured in Tiki Magazine's show! :)

That was in no way an insult.

Randy Bain wears the glasses...
Chongolio wears the cape...
It's pretty obvious...

Here's Tiki Farm's contribution to the show, shown below in wax & sculpted by long-time Tiki Farm collaborator Squid...

"The Goof" is patterned after the image found on "the original Christian's Hut" blue matchbook cover on page 133 of the Book of Tiki. This will be a limited edition production of somewhere between 100 to 200 each. We're not exactly sure of the quantity at this time as, although the event seems far away, we've still got to produce the master tooling & production tooling for the mug. We'll determine the final quantity a few weeks prior to the event and will make up the #'d coa's at that time.

Mahaloz!
Holden

[ Edited by: MakeDaMug 2007-07-17 14:50 ]

T

Isn't Bosko kinda the "Shag" of Tiki Carvers in terms of popularity and profile ?
I love his stuff, whether it all "looks the same" or not. His stuff is very identifiable, it has it's own "bosko thing" that makes you know who it is right away. I like the minimalist approach to his stuff too.

It will be cool to meet him in person, if he's there.

On 2007-07-16 20:07, nicktiki wrote:
...There are a lot of talented artists in San Diego... There are artists not involved with the show that I absolutely love their stuff. My hope is this can be an annual event and extend Tiki events into November.

Nick this is such a cool thing you're doing not only for artists of this or future events. By throwing these shindigs on Shelter Island a host of landmarks stand to financially benefit.

I can think of a half dozen vintage hotels to stay at for folks from out of town. They can pack their pedal pushers and rent a bike or scooter instead of a car ... zip over to Trader Morts for in room supplies, soak up the sun poolside at the Half Moon, sunset pupus and hi-octails at the Bali Hai and diner at the Tahiti! Keeping these places thriving BECAUSE of their thematic consistency will help spare them the fate of another local gem now merely a ghost of it's former self.

By 2008 historic Tiki in San Diego will be making its last stand on Shelter Island and I'm glad you're among those who realise the importance of producing regular exhibitions or performances there.

The same sincere enthusiasm from you that makes your mag legit will make your events best not missed.

I'm real excited about my working being in this show.

So excited I'm coming over to see it!

I'll be coming over with Tiki Chris, seeing the show, meeting the tiki crowd and hopefully going up the coast and taking in some more tiki sights on the way.

I'll post some sketches soon of the pieces I plan to put in the show.

See you there.

Is Gecko going to be there or just some of his work?

WoooHoooo! I just booked our room for the night at Humphrey's. Both Humphrey's Half Moon Inn & Suites and The Best Western Island Palms have lots of rooms available for the weekend with low rates :)

Wow this thread got a bit f*#c*ed up lol.. BUMP ..SO Holden & Squid the mug is richeous brah! (not the duo, pun intended lol)..how many days should we get to the event in order to get one :D WoOhOO how bout re-posting the info. you have for us, do we need tickets pre reservations or do we just show up? hint BUMP

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2007-08-31 00:35 ]

If you are interested in room accommodations PM me for more information :)

Mahalo WooHooWahine for info efforts you were nice enough to gather for us. I am excited for this event I enjoy the art shows most. I wish the sponsors of these events would be better about putting together host hotels etc. for those of us who must travel. I travel alone a bit & it's just to late at night to make the drive home. I know WooHoo is working on that & I will wait to hear more & hopefully book a room at a discount. THIS IS GONNA BE FUN! Hope to see you all there!

sounds awsome. I'll be there.

Aloha & WoooHooo! I've done a little homework and here's the info I have for you regarding accommodations. Humphries requires a two night minimum for the weekend and their room availability is very limited to rooms that are really pricey for that weekend. BUT...... The Best Western Island Palms Hotel (which is right next door to Humphries and within walking distance to The Bali Hai) has availability. If you are interested in staying their I reserved a Block of rooms at the rate of $175 for the night of November 2. Call 1-800-922-2336 to reserve your room. To get this rate mention Tiki Magazine Rate. This Special Rate will not be in their computer system until tomorrow afternoon. Feel free to PM me if you have any ?'s Mahalo!!

REMINDER: Don't call The Best Western Island Palms until after 1:00pm on Thursday, September 6. This Special Rate is not in their computer syatem yet :)

T

Kona Kai average $249 a night (1.08 miles from Bali Hai)

Vagabond average $117 a night (.8 miles from Bali Hai)

Comfort Inn average $110 a night (1.23 miles from Bali Hai)

The Pearl average $159 a night (1.04 miles from Bali Hai)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-09-05 19:29 ]

C'mon Hotel Snobs! All the Hoity Toity People and Class "A' artists are staying at Humphries! They promised to keep the riff-raff out! :lol: and you don't have to stagger home as far!

On 2007-09-05 19:20, little lost tiki wrote:
C'mon Hotel Snobs! All the Hoity Toity People and Class "A' artists are staying at Humphries! They promised to keep the riff-raff out! :lol: and you don't have to stagger home as far!

WoooHoo! We are staying a Humphries too but unfortunately they are pretty booked for the weekend. Their Sister Hotel is actually The Best Western Island Palms :)

On 2007-09-05 16:45, WooHooWahine wrote:
Aloha & WoooHooo! I've done a little homework and here's the info I have for you regarding accommodations. Humphries requires a two night minimum for the weekend and their room availability is very limited to rooms that are really pricey for that weekend. BUT...... The Best Western Island Palms Hotel (which is right next door to Humphries and within walking distance to The Bali Hai) has availability. If you are interested in staying their I reserved a Block of rooms at the rate of $175 for the night of November 2. Call 1-800-922-2336 to reserve your room. To get this rate mention Tiki Magazine Rate. This Special Rate will not be in their computer system until tomorrow afternoon. Feel free to PM me if you have any ?'s Mahalo!!

The Best Western Island Palms is .6 miles away from the Bali Hai (2 minutes to be exact)

T

$89 a night
10% off that price if you're AAA member
1 Mile from the Bali Hai
3 blocks from Shelter Island
Starving Musician friendly

http://www.qualityinnsd.com/directions.htm
The Quality Inn
2901 Nimitz Blvd
San Diego, CA 92106
Phone: 619-224-3655
Fax: 619-224-4025
Reservations:
1- 800-352-1222

R

Definitely count me! I can't wait!

I'm wonderin' should I stay jus fer the night at (possibly) Humphrey's (or maybe further along the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina)?

When is everyone gettin to SD?

just wanna get some ideas! :D

Friends house in Pacific Beach 5 miles away and free.
if I'm too drunk to drive, the bed of my truck, and a pillow and blanket,
also free.
I'm cheaper than a broke musician, unfortunetly.

Jeff(bigtikidude)
p.s.
is there anything else going on in San Deigo that weekend?
Sat. or Sun.

On 2007-09-05 19:29, WooHooWahine wrote:

On 2007-09-05 16:45, WooHooWahine wrote:

The Best Western Island Palms is .6 miles away from the Bali Hai (2 minutes to be exact)

I just received a phone call from The Island Palms and The Tiki Magazine Special Rate is now in their computer system :)

I say get a room were you can afford it....Being there is what counts! Seeing the Tikiyaki Orchestra perform LIVE will be worth the entire evening! I like the idea of being able to stumble out of the Bali Hai across the parking lot to my room...It's a few bucks more, but I don't have to worry about driving and the possible consequences... So far I know of 3-4 rooms booked at Humphries and a couple more at the Island Palms right next door.

T

I just booked mine at the Palms and this hotel looks killer . And since I dont drink , I dont mind driving . One less thing to worry about !

T

Soccer Tiki Wrote :

<I say get a room were you can afford it....Being there is what counts! Seeing the Tikiyaki Orchestra perform LIVE will be worth the entire evening! I like the idea of being able to stumble out of the Bali Hai across the parking lot to my room...It's a few bucks more, but I don't have to worry about driving and the possible consequences... So far I know of 3-4 rooms booked at Humphries and a couple more at the Island Palms right next door. >

I agree. I just posted some options for peeps who wanted to keep their stay a little more affordable. I'd stayt at Humphreys in a heartbeat if it was more affordable for me. I love that place.

I wanted to stay at the Pearl, but alas, too expensive. :(

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-09-06 22:55 ]

On 2007-07-16 22:36, Billy the Crud wrote:

Nick,

Sorry Nick to get off topic but I have to get somthing off my chest.

These student carvers are great and developing into awesome carvers, but they are not in the same league as BOSKO! Period, end of discussion. Who is Bosko? Oh, just some guy who helped start the tiki carving / mug revival! Please realize that if it wasn't for Bosko doing tikis since the "80's ,we (yes I include myself 100% ) probably wouldn't be "chopping" them today .

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2007-09-07 09:52 ]

On 2007-09-06 22:30, Tiki Diablo wrote:

On 2007-07-16 22:36, Billy the Crud wrote:

Nick,

Sorry Nick to get off topic but I have to get somthing off my chest.

These student carvers are great and developing into awesome carvers, but they are not in the same league as BOSKO! Period, end of discussion. Who is Bosko? Oh, just some guy who helped start the tiki carving / mug revival! Please realize that if it wasn't for Bosko doing tikis since the "80's we (yes I include myself 100% ) probably wouldn't "chopping" them today .

Hmmm.

Is there no more respect left in this tiki world???

T
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.