Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Island at the Bali Hai November 2, 2007

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies

TM

JenTiki, you're the lounge Jazz singer, right?

Hey, you will finally get to hear our band!

J

Yep, that's me! I'm still not 100% sure I'm coming down for the show. The FI Parking Lot Sale kinda killed my tiki budget for the rest of the year, so I'll have to see if I can do some creative accounting and work it out. It'll be cool to see both the bands if I make it!

On 2007-10-01 23:50, Lake Surfer wrote:
I'm pretty familier with North County SD but haven't been any further south than Pacific Beach in the last 15 or so years. What's the easiest way to get to the Bali Hai from the OC?

Go South 5 from OC. Pacific beach is the Grand/Garnet exit. Next exit is claremont dr(Shout out to bay park on the left), after that Sea world drive. Next one after that is the exit you take. take I8 rosecrans exit and take the rosecrans ramp going west. stay on Rosecrans for a few miles until you get to shelter island dr.(Soon after bank of america) Turn left on shelter island dr. Look for trader morts about a block down on the left. The Boll weevil on the right used to have a leroy tiki . When you hit the confusing intersection at the water, go left and that is the Bali Hai. Humphreys is on the right. Leave early, traffic sucks. You know you're totally F((& if you hit traffic before Oceanside...

Buzzy

Nick and Buzzy... thanks much for the info. Gonna do my best to make it down, never made a CA event yet.

Is anyone going over from Arizona??? I met several people at Tiki Oasis from Arizona and commented we should carpool over for some of these events..... Heck, I can't wait to move back to OC!!!

COME ON DOWN TIKI-KINIKI! :D
A SoCal Tiki Event isn't the same without your smiling face!
Just drink some RED BULLs and get some diapers (like that crazy astronaut lady)
and HAUL AZZ down to San Diego! VROOOOOOOOOOM!

MN

On 2007-10-02 15:30, JenTiki wrote:
Last time I checked (yesterday) it was $40 each way from the Bay Area plus taxes, taking the total to around $100. I just thought if a few of us ganged up we could split the gas cost.

Your are CORRECT!!! Bad keyboard, bad!! :)

My brother rented a hybrid round trip from SC and they spent about $50 in gas. Not sure if it was round trip though. Hmmm. Stack five people in a Prius and you might be able to spend as little as $10 or $20 each round trip. Based on a $50 rental Fri- Mon. If that exists. :)

Toyota dealers and Enterprise are the places to check out.

On 2007-10-03 08:40, little lost tiki wrote:
COME ON DOWN TIKI-KINIKI! :D
A SoCal Tiki Event isn't the same without your smiling face!
Just drink some RED BULLs and get some diapers (like that crazy astronaut lady)
and HAUL AZZ down to San Diego! VROOOOOOOOOOM!

Red bulls and diapers??? Couldn't I just catch a ride on your chocolate unicorn???

No chocolate unicorns allowed in Arizona,Cindy!
Sorry! He'd melt!
I'll see if there's any winged horses available for that time! :D

T

Its about 3 weeks to go and I havent seen much talk about the biggest collection of tiki artists gathered in one of the best restaraunts in San Diego.I feel that this will be one hellacious show and usually there is so much more banter . WTF????????? How about getting a roll call going or something ? Its been so quiet on here since the Tonga Hut, I thought I just heard a tumbleweed go by .

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Oct 9, 2007 10:06 PM

Where will the art be shown? Like, which part of the Bali Hai? Will there be booth/table areas downstairs in the bar or will there be a seperate area upstairs? Or outside?

It's 6-11pm, right, but when will artists be setting up? And what about din-din, when are people going to arrive at the upstairs bar???

Hey Ray - are you getting in early to unpack?

And are the music sets 2 hours per, like 7-9pm, then 9-11pm?

And what about the day after, is there an event planned to take advantage of all these Tikiswanksters in town all at once? How about everybody just crashing the Half Moon pool?

BUMP!
18 MORE DAYS!
:D :D :D :D

I think the one unfortunate drawback to this event is the timing. Friday night is a lousy time for anyone from LA or the IE to try to get to San Diego. I know that some people are taking the day off and making a long weekend of it, but most people don't have that luxury.

Plus, we haven't heard much from the artists that are participating. The Tonga Hut threads have such a following because they are always being talked up by the people who are actually involved in putting on the event.

I'd like to see more of the art that's going to be available. Should I be scraping up a ton of cash for the evening? I know that Nick said to save some stuff to reveal at the show, but I want to know what's going to be available other than the Goof mug.

Glad you asked Kate!
Besides FOUR Paintings...
I'll have my NEW TikiColoring Book available

Also 4-5 remaining copies of "About 500 Tikis"

and some prints of the faces of Oli-Oli/Kakaka/Pupule,my favorite TikiFarm mugs EVER!

and some folders of Ink Drawings that I'll have at my room
for After Hours BackStreet Dealings!
And TikiRay said he'll be hawking his pain pills in the Parking Lot...
:D

T

The Tonga Hut shows are great , I agree. But they also have limited space unless we kick out the customers who are buying the art . There will be much more room at the Bali Hai to display larger pieces . Plus look at the huge lineup of artists all together under one roof . That alone should get people to show . Im bringing 4 pieces altogether but one is a special project Ive been working on . I should be able to post it by Friday . As for the other artists , maybe Nick can give them a nudge to add some pieces to the thread . (wink,wink)

TM

Although this is a friday night, I want to remind people that on top of all the great art and stuff, this will be the debut of the Tikiyaki orchestra, a true exotica band for 2008!

Are we Tiki? I read Sven's book, and imagine les baxter and Martin Denny in the background, and wish there was something like that nowadays instead of the pap we are all exposed to with modern music. Tikiyaki orchestra is playing our "soundtrack", and to me, that's enough of a reason to come down.

Plus, there are going to be killer artists there, great atmosphere, and great drinks!!

It's the Bali Hai! it's Tiki magazine!! It's the Tikiyaki orchestra!!

On 2007-10-15 17:24, lucas vigor wrote:

It's three hours of traffic minimum if you're driving down after work on Friday!

But I don't care. I'm hoping it will be well worth the drive and the subsequent drive home and the total lack of sleep that will make my head all kerflooey at work the next morning. I just want to know if I need to bring my check book and an extra credit card.

Let's see the art!

On 2007-10-15 17:24, lucas vigor wrote:

And The Smokin Menehunes. WooHoo!!

On 2007-10-15 18:24, Tiki-Kate wrote:...I just want to know if I need to bring my check book and an extra credit card.

Yes you do, Kate!

CA

here's a look at the Limited neck charms that will be available at the show.....

Tiki magazine Logo Tiki by Derek Y.

available in very limited runs of colors numbering lest then 200!!

HERE WE GO AGAIN!
You can always plant it in your Zen rock garden?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 17, 2007 10:36 PM

That's awesome Al.

CA

holy wood chips!..... i actually picked up a chisel?? working on the "The Magazine Tiki"
sneak peeks... i should get it all done... i've only had it in the worked since before Travel Fest, Santa Monica in Feb..... born of Martini Kings... can't wait for the Yakies!

Tiki#138 my first round headed tiki?

here's a study of light and form

Here's one of a couple of pieces I'm putting in the show, thanks again to Nick for the invite.

Simply called "tiki island"

I'm getting the print made and framed in San Diego, so hopefully the price will be more dollar friendly and not suffer from shipping costs from Britikiland.

Will get some more for show and tell here soon.

T

On 2007-07-15 19:50, nicktiki wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Tiki Magazine is having its first art show November 2, 2007 at San Diego's Bali Hai restaurant. We have an all-star line-up of artists! Check out the cool poster by Hassan "Headhunter" Patterson. Mark your calendars, its a one night only show! Hope to see all of you there.

Nicktiki
Well folks after I was asked to be in the show and saw this poster , Nick Camera , Hassan "Headhunter" Patterson and I did some correspondence .It was then that I was allowed to recreate the poster tiki into 3D tiki form . It is one solid piece of palm carved only with hand tools .It has white pine teeth and wood inlay on the top and bottom to match the design. This is a first for me but I finally painted a tiki . It has a 2 tone purple acrylic colorwash with drybrushed highlights . Then I put on a matte finish to seal it . I hope you like it . Nick and Hassan said they loved it . Check out the similarities.

Nick wants to put a poster next to it at the show . I cant wait to see you all . Now I have to start carving that wahini .....

Tiki-Ray is a carver in So. Cal. since 1985. All his work is freehanded and very Unique.Signed and finished to last. I have an oldschool tiki style that I get a lot of compliments on . Contact me at tikiray.com....Thanks,Tiki

[ Edited by: TIKI-RAY 2007-10-19 16:25 ]

T

Tiki-Ray.

AWESOME !

Can you set up a few Tiki Ray Tikis next to the Tikiyai Orchestra when we're playing ? That would make us look so cool, and maybe give us good "mana" for the show.

Bravo Raymond!
:D

B

Hey Ray,

I'm really digging on the purple tiki! Love the added color! Your house rules too! The fire place is smokin hot! The purple looks really sweet next to the mustard yellow. You chiseled this guy out and then hand sanded? Nice.

Yes Mr. Tikiyaki , I will bring a special tiki for your stage area to use .Its traditional style with a sort of San Diego them . And thanks for that CD of yours . I love it . See you at the show , Ray

On 2007-10-21 11:05, TIKI-RAY wrote:
Yes Mr. Tikiyaki , I will bring a special tiki for your stage area to use .Its traditional style with a sort of San Diego them . And thanks for that CD of yours . I love it . See you at the show , Ray

WOW RAY!
That is one loud cool looking Tiki! smooth....

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2007-10-27 00:12 ]

if you like super hero looking tikis.

:roll:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 24, 2007 1:30 PM

Derek Yaniger sent me these pics in an email of the art he will have at the show, and he will be there Friday night.

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-10-24 13:31 ]

On 2007-07-16 20:07, nicktiki wrote:
My hope is this can be an annual event and extend Tiki events into November.

On 2007-09-12 21:03, nicktiki wrote:
I tried to get a Saturday night but nothing was available. I would have preferred a Saturday as well. It was a Friday or nothing. I chose Friday. I reserved this in January just to get a Friday in November. Bali Hai does great business on the weekends. I hope people from LA still can make it down. Most of the artists will be in attendance, two great bands, good food and drinks, a lot of people coming in from out of town. It should be a great night!

So is next year's event booked for a Saturday?

SoccerTiki and I got a Sneak Peak at The Goof Mug today. WOOHOO!! Make sure you put it at the top of your shopping list :)

Just stumbled across this site while looking for the Bali Hai show info. Wish I woulda found this site earlier. Cheers my new friends! See you next friday.

T

Ive been getting many responses on TC and myspace about the price of the unique "Headhunter" poster tiki I carved . I wasnt sure about it but I got some ideas from fans and Nick and I came up with an idea I hope you all will like . (After all , it is his show ). We decided to open it up to a silent auction with a reserve . As long as the not out of reach undisclosed reserve is met , it goes home with the highest bidder. It is an amazing design by Hassan Patterson and I worked damn hard to duplicate it in wood . This gives the average person a chance to take home the poster tiki from the 1st Annual Tiki Magazine Art show . I hear Hassan will be there as well as Nick and I so we can all take a pic with your new addition to your home tiki bar . We will finalize the rules before the show but thats basically it . I cant wait to see you all there .

On 2007-10-25 19:27, Tiki-Kate wrote:

We get it! You can't take a day off! Suck it up and call in sick! :)

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2007-10-26 21:32 ]

On 2007-10-23 12:17, bigtikidude wrote:
if you like super hero looking tikis.

:roll:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff, I think you are a Super Hero! "Super Pioneer Chicken"! Bawk Bawk Bawk!

Not to be a downer but if they don't get the fires out lots of are going to have trouble even getting there, thoughts??

N

I was at the Bali Hai with some friends last night. The fires are no where near the event. Unless you live in an area where there are fires, it should have no impact on whether you can go or not. Good news in regards to the fires, the Santa Ana conditions are over and we even received some rain today in San Diego. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 2nd.

Nick

On 2007-10-26 21:31, SoccerTiki wrote:

Oh my God! I am such a ditz. Why didn't I think of that?

Come on, everyone who doesn't want to sit in traffic for hours on a Friday night, let's all just "suck it up" and call in sick.

Please forgive me for asking such a pesky, legitimate question. Silly me. Teehee. My bad. :blush:

I sense sarcasm??

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-10-27 18:01, bigtikidude wrote:
I sense sarcasm??

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yeeha! 6 more days.

On 2007-10-27 18:38, Tiki-Kate wrote:

On 2007-10-27 18:01, bigtikidude wrote:
I sense sarcasm??

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yeeha! 6 more days.

I'm sorry, Jeff. I didn't actually mean to ignore your question and try to distract attention from that question with mindless, fluffy deflection.

Yes, that was sarcasm.

See you Friday night. :wink:

Hey Nick, I checked in a little late on this one. Is there still room for 2 more. Sounds like fun and I'm already tired of playing with my Tiki Oasis stuff. Do we need to be formal and request reservations...or can we just dive in family style? Either way, count us in.

N

Joey,

The event is free. If you want to have dinner, I suggest reservations. It should be pretty full. Please come and join us.

Kate,

In regards to having it on Saturday next year, I want to see how the event goes this time. If it goes well, I will act quickly and try to get a Saturday for next year.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 2nd!

Nick

Nick,

Thank you so much for the answer. I really do appreciate it. I would have assumed that a place like the Bali Hai that is a popular locale for weddings and other big events probably books its Saturdays about two years in advance.

I'm looking forward to the event. You've assembled a great group of artists. I hope it's a success.

On 2007-10-27 17:44, Tiki-Kate wrote:

On 2007-10-26 21:31, SoccerTiki wrote:

Oh my God! I am such a ditz. Why didn't I think of that?

Come on, everyone who doesn't want to sit in traffic for hours on a Friday night, let's all just "suck it up" and call in sick.

Please forgive me for asking such a pesky, legitimate question. Silly me. Teehee. My bad. :blush:

Jeesh people, come on! Nick has assembled such a tremendously talented group of artists in an amazing venue. So what it is on a Friday night! As a tikiholic from Arizona, I'd give my right arm to get over there just to see the art.

C

I'll be travelling in from Wisconsin & in the O.C. for work on Thurs & Fri - meetings through noon on Friday, then I'm heading down to the Bali Hai - see y'all there :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies