Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Island at the Bali Hai November 2, 2007

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies

N

I was at the Bali Hai yesterday and spoke with Larry (Bali Hai owner). We have a meeting in 2 weeks where we are going to go over specifics. Should have a lot more info then. I'm sure most of you know the Tikiyaki Orchestra will be playing one of their first shows ever. If you've heard the CD, you're in for a treat! The Smokin' Menehunes will be playing most of the night and are great! Larry said they have received a lot of dinner reservations for the night already. If you're planning on having dinner, make reservations as soon as possible. Big thank yous to WooHoo and Soccertiki for posting hotel info. I have one more week of school and then will be able to concentrate on the art show and the upcoming issue.

P.S. Danny, I completely agree with you about Bosko. He's a great guy and an incredible artist. He was part of the inspiration behind Tiki Magazine. I love his art! If you come to my house, you'll see that Bosko is well represented. Also, Eric "Gordo" Gordon is a San Diego-based artist. I have nothing but love for all Tiki artists, no matter where they're from.

I think I like Bamboo Ben the best!!!!!!!

SoccerTiki just reserved a table at 6:15 :)

S
squid posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 7:52 PM

On 2007-07-17 14:49, MakeDaMug wrote:
Here's Tiki Farm's contribution to the show, shown below in wax & sculpted by long-time Tiki Farm collaborator Squid...

And since I'll be there performing with the Tikiyaki Orchestra, I'll be available to sign them suckers. If'n ya want scribbles on yer new mug that is...

"Thank you! Please tip your bartenders and waitresses! We're here every Friday!"

[i]On 2007-09-08 09:06, nicktiki wrote:

.....and, I think I like you too Nick!

(oo) What you want
(oo) Baby, I got
(oo) What you need
(oo) Do you know I got it?
(oo) All I'm askin'
(oo) Is for a little respect when you come home (just a little bit)
Hey baby (just a little bit) when you get home
(just a little bit) mister (just a little bit)

I ain't gonna do you wrong while you're gone
Ain't gonna do you wrong (oo) 'cause I don't wanna (oo)
All I'm askin' (oo)
Is for a little respect when you come home (just a little bit)
Baby (just a little bit) when you get home (just a little bit)
Yeah (just a little bit)

I'm about to give you all of my money
And all I'm askin' in return, honey
Is to give me my profits
When you get home (just a, just a, just a, just a)
Yeah baby (just a, just a, just a, just a)
When you get home (just a little bit)
Yeah (just a little bit)

------ instrumental break ------( bongos)

Ooo, your kisses (oo)
Sweeter than honey (oo)
And guess what? (oo)
So is my money (oo)
All I want you to do (oo) for me
Is give it to me when you get home (re, re, re ,re)
Yeah baby (re, re, re ,re)
Whip it to me (respect, just a little bit)
When you get home, now (just a little bit)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care, TCB

Oh (sock it to me, sock it to me,
sock it to me, sock it to me)
A little respect (sock it to me, sock it to me,
sock it to me, sock it to me)
Whoa, babe (just a little bit)
A little respect (just a little bit)
I get tired (just a little bit)
Keep on tryin' (just a little bit)
You're runnin' out of foolin' (just a little bit)
And I ain't lyin' (just a little bit)
(re, re, re, re) 'spect
When you come home (re, re, re ,re)
Or you might walk in (respect, just a little bit)
And find out I'm gone (just a little bit)
I got to have (just a little bit)
A little respect (just a little bit)

Squidly, you got to get Teri-Yaki to do this song!!

I'll be there fo' sure, if I'm in town............

T

On 2007-09-08 23:04, RevBambooBen wrote:

[i]On 2007-09-08 09:06, nicktiki wrote:

Squidly, you got to get Teri-Yaki to do this song!!

I'll be there fo' sure, if I'm in town............

Hey Bamboo Bill... if you want R E S P E C T, you need to get the name right.....

teri-yaki....grrrrrrrrrrrr

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com
http://www.tikiyaki.wordpress.com
http://www.cuefactory.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-09-09 09:05 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-09-09 11:00 ]

TM

Have you ever met a girl that you tried to date
But a year to make love she wanted you to wait
Let me tell ya a story of my situation
I was talkin' to this girl from the U.S. nation
The way that I met her was on tour at a concert
She had long hair and a short miniskirt
I just got onstage drippin', pourin' with sweat
I was walkin' through the crowd and gues who I met
I whispered in her ear, "Come to the picture booth
So I can ask you some questions to see if you are a hundred proof"
I asked her her name, she said blah-blah-blah
She had 9/10 pants and a very big bra
I took a couple of flicks and she was enthused
I said, "How do you like the show?"
she said, "I was very amused"
I started throwin' bass, she started throwin' back mid-range
But when I sprung the question, she acted kind of strange
Then when I asked, "Do ya have a man," she tried to pretend
She said, "No I don't, I only have a friend"
Come on, I'm not even goin' for it
This is what I'm goin' sing

You, you got what I need but you say he's just a friend
And you say he's just a friend, oh baby
But you say he's just a friend, oh baby
But you say he's just a friend

So I took blah-blah's word for it at this time
I thought just havin' a friend couldn't be no crime
'Cause I have friends and that's a fact
Like Agnes, Agatha, Germaine, and Jacq
Forget about that, let's go into the story
About a girl named blah-blah-blah that adored me
So we started talkin', getttin' familiar
Spendin' a lot of time so we can build up
A relationship or some undderstanding
How it's gonna be in the future we was plannin'
Everything sounded so dandy and sweet
I had no idea I was in for a treat
After this was established, everything was cool
The tour was over and she went back to school
I called every day to see how she was doin'
Everytime that I ccalled her it seemed somethin' was brewin'
I called her on my dime, picked up, and then I called again
I said, "Yo, who was that?" "Oh, he's just a friend"
Don't gimme that, don't ever gimme that
Jus' bust this

And you say he's just a friend, oh baby
But you say he's just a friend, oh baby
But you say he's just a friend

So I came to her college on a surprise visit
To see my girl that was so exquisite
It was a school day, I knew she was there
The first semester of the school year
I went to a gate to ask where was her dorm
This guy made me fill out a visitor's form
He told me where it was and I as on my way
To see my baby doll, I was happy to say
I arrrived in front of the dormitory
Yo, could you tell me where is door three?
They showed me where it was for the moment
I didn't know I was in for such an event
So I came to her room and opened the door
Oh, snap! Guess what I saw?
A fella tongue-kissin' my girl in the mouth,
I was so in shock my heart went down south
So please listen to the message that I say
Don't ever talk to a girl who says she just has a friend

M
mieko posted on Sun, Sep 9, 2007 11:51 PM

On 2007-09-06 22:30, Tiki Diablo wrote:

These student carvers are great and developing into awesome carvers, but they are not in the same league as BOSKO! Period, end of discussion. Who is Bosko? Oh, just some guy who helped start the tiki carving / mug revival! Please realize that if it wasn't for Bosko doing tikis since the "80's ,we (yes I include myself 100% ) probably wouldn't be "chopping" them today .

I have to just chime in here to say I totally agree. Not only are Bosko and all the artists at this show amazing artists, they have been amazingly helpful and open to teaching so many of us of new carvers. I can't thank the "masters" enough, I feel honored to have learned from so many.

On 2007-09-05 16:45, WooHooWahine wrote:
Aloha & WoooHooo! I've done a little homework and here's the info I have for you regarding accommodations. Humphries requires a two night minimum for the weekend and their room availability is very limited to rooms that are really pricey for that weekend. BUT...... The Best Western Island Palms Hotel (which is right next door to Humphries and within walking distance to The Bali Hai) has availability. If you are interested in staying their I reserved a Block of rooms at the rate of $175 for the night of November 2. Call 1-800-922-2336 to reserve your room. To get this rate mention Tiki Magazine Rate. Feel free to PM me if you have any ?'s Mahalo!!

Rooms at The Island Palms are going quickly. If your planing on staying there for the night book your room ASAP!! Don't forget to tell them that you want the Tiki Magazine Rate :)

BUMP !

So who's going to this event ?

I mean, it's a Friday, but it's at the frikken Bali Hai, and how often does Bosko come out to events these days ?

Take the day off work folks....TIKI Road Trip, TIKI FRIDAY, Play TIKI HOOKEY....this is gonna be a great event....hell make it a TIKI weekend.

Go to HodadHank's Freaky Boutiki during the daytime. Eat at Mr Tiki the next night.

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com
http://www.tikiyaki.wordpress.com
http://www.cuefactory.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-09-11 10:50 ]

I'll be there!
Really looking forward to meeting everybody,
Chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris 2007-09-11 13:01 ]

I'm all over that show, just wish it was later than 6 pm, its gonna be a beotch getting down there by then.
wish it was Sat.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-09-11 20:59, bigtikidude wrote:
I'm all over that show, just wish it was later than 6 pm, its gonna be a beotch getting down there by then.
wish it was Sat.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Me too....I think having it on Friday is definitely going to hurt the number of LA atendees, but I'm guessing The Bali Hai probably isn't available on a Saturday...they're a pretty busy place for weddings etc....

Still, hopefully people make it a long weekend and take Friday off and cruise down. With the great artists showing up for this event, it will be worth it.

N

I tried to get a Saturday night but nothing was available. I would have preferred a Saturday as well. It was a Friday or nothing. I chose Friday. I reserved this in January just to get a Friday in November. Bali Hai does great business on the weekends. I hope people from LA still can make it down. Most of the artists will be in attendance, two great bands, good food and drinks, a lot of people coming in from out of town. It should be a great night!

Nick,
sorry to be a griper, it just seems everytime there is a surf show in SD its on a fri. also.
Its a tuff scramble to get there, but I can do it, if I really put my mind to it.
thanks for putting this together, I'll see ya then.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm booked, we are heading down Fri. morning & staying the weekend with the Ohana... going to Sea World Sat. & the Zoo on Sun. We havn't done the tourist trip in years. It's gonna be fun! Don't miss it! Great Mug Squid & Holden!

Dont worry Nick . If you build it , they will come . Its a month before xmas and a couple months past tiki season . They will be coming from all over to get their tiki on . You planted the seed , now let it grow , Ray

[ Edited by: TIKI-RAY 2007-09-16 11:24 ]

Don't forget to make your Reservations!!!

On 2007-09-05 16:45, WooHooWahine wrote:
Aloha & WoooHooo! I've done a little homework and here's the info I have for you regarding accommodations. Humphries requires a two night minimum for the weekend and their room availability is very limited to rooms that are really pricey for that weekend. BUT...... The Best Western Island Palms Hotel (which is right next door to Humphries and within walking distance to The Bali Hai) has availability. If you are interested in staying their I reserved a Block of rooms at the rate of $175 for the night of November 2. Call 1-800-922-2336 to reserve your room. To get this rate mention Tiki Magazine Rate. Feel free to PM me if you have any ?'s Mahalo!!

Rooms at The Island Palms are going quickly. If your planing on staying there for the night book your room ASAP!! Don't forget to tell them that you want the Tiki Magazine Rate :)

On 2007-09-11 20:59, bigtikidude wrote:
I'm all over that show, just wish it was later than 6 pm, its gonna be a beotch getting down there by then. wish it was Sat.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

I feel like such a crybaby, but man, I 2nd that...I wish it were on a Sat. as well, I can't take the time off work. (Whaah Whaah) :(

We'll be showing up with 200 of our limited edition Goof mugs. Here's a photo of the 1st one out of the kiln...

Is there a limit per person for the mug, Holden? Not sure if I can make it since I'm probably working that Saturday, so I was hoping to have someone pick one up for me.

C

On 2007-09-19 15:05, MakeDaMug wrote:
We'll be showing up with 200 of our limited edition Goof mugs. Here's a photo of the 1st one out of the kiln...

Woah!
Now that's one way cool mug!!!!
VERY NICE!!!!

Are the 200 that will go to the Bali Hai the only 200 that will be produced? Or will there be some additional ones available through Tiki Farm at a later date?

On 2007-09-19 15:08, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Is there a limit per person for the mug, Holden? Not sure if I can make it since I'm probably working that Saturday, so I was hoping to have someone pick one up for me.

There is a limit of 1 per person but I think it'd be only fair to do the following...

We can start a list for anybody who can't physically make it if there are any mugs remaining after the event. I know we'll sell a lot of these but I don't think it will eclipse the 200 mark. There is so much other great art that will be available to purchase at the event and most of us have only "so much cash" to spend.

The mug is $25 and as indicated, is limited to a total of 200. I am going to start a thread shortly in the Tiki Marketplace forum. Look for the title "Bali Hai Limited Edition Goof List".

LT

Very cool, and he's got both eyes! :D I'll be there.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.