Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Island at the Bali Hai November 2, 2007

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies

raddd job nick! the line up is killer. Im wayy stoaked, see yall there

On 2007-10-28 10:55, Tiki Kiniki wrote:
Jeesh people, come on! Nick has assembled such a tremendously talented group of artists in an amazing venue. So what it is on a Friday night! As a tikiholic from Arizona, I'd give my right arm to get over there just to see the art.

Cool. So you're going to put your money where your mouth is and come on down for the event, right? (Otherwise, I can't imagine why you'd be chiming in here about it being no big deal that it's on a Friday night.) Suck it up, and give that right arm.

See you Friday night, Kiniki. I'll even buy you a drink since you have to go so far out of your way to make it to the event. :D

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Oct 29, 2007 9:41 AM

Kiniki Brah, I don't think the people at the ticket window take right arms...

http://www.southwest.com

... but you can ask.

Phoenix AZ to San Diego CA, leaving every hour on the hour. A one hour non-stop flight, and a 15 minute taxi ride around San Diego Bay; the best views in the city. You can actually be there before the L.A. folks arrive; it's two hours from L.A. in the best of traffic.

The Bali Hai is on the left. Don't forget when you get there - Kate's buying!

This will be my first official tiki event and Im really looking forward to it..Hopefully Ill be able to remember it !!!..

YAY! 4 more days!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

On 2007-10-29 15:13, Tiki Kiniki wrote:

On 2007-10-29 05:19, Tiki-Kate wrote:

On 2007-10-28 10:55, Tiki Kiniki wrote:
I "chimed in" because I enjoy running over to SoCal for these events and in my case it's a 6 hour drive and you don't hear me whining! But, I guess that's because I'm a positive person! Take a chill pill hon! I'll "suck it up" as much as you will by calling in sick! Hmmmm sense my sarcasm? It's supposed to be a fun event....don't ruin it!

[ Edited by: tiki kiniki 2007-10-29 15:25 ]

Thank you for illustrating what Tiki Central has become. It used to be genuinely fun and a place where people could openly express their opinions and get an intelligent response (or even go on a little rant every now and then.) So many people these days are fine with just drinking the Kool-aid and going along with the mindless masses of Party Central. It's a sad day when a voice of dischord is so unwelcome. But that's cool. Whatever. Yahoo. 4 more days.

On 2007-10-29 09:41, Cammo wrote:
Kiniki Brah, I don't think the people at the ticket window take right arms...

http://www.southwest.com

... but you can ask.

Phoenix AZ to San Diego CA, leaving every hour on the hour. A one hour non-stop flight, and a 15 minute taxi ride around San Diego Bay; the best views in the city. You can actually be there before the L.A. folks arrive; it's two hours from L.A. in the best of traffic.

The Bali Hai is on the left. Don't forget when you get there - Kate's buying!

I know it's a short hop, skip and a jump! I came over for Tiki Oasis and had a blast! I have a commitment I can't break on Saturday here in Arizona or I'd surely be coming out! I have my eye on one of Doug Horne's Fender guitars!! Sounds like "most" of you will have a great time! Have a Mai Tai for me!

Looking forward to partying with all the "mindless masses" at Tiki Magazine's Tiki Island Art Show....(It is a party, right?) I for one like the "spiked Kool-Aid" at the Bali Hai! And the "same old people" are fun to party with! We'll be getting in early on Friday. 94 hours and counting!~WoooohooooOOOOooooooo!

On 2007-10-29 16:25, SoccerTiki wrote:
Looking forward to partying with all the "mindless masses" at Tiki Magazine's Tiki Island Art Show....(It is a party, right?) I for one like the "spiked Kool-Aid" at the Bali Hai! And the "same old people" are fun to party with! We'll be getting in early on Friday. 94 hours and counting!~WoooohooooOOOOooooooo!

It's the mindless masses that have the most fun! It's the ones who don't play well with others that have nothing good to say!

Yeah Man, I mean dude, sisterette, sistah, Kate & me... like vines on twine ... we gonna call in sick & party like rock stars! wait, I'm not working... But I'll be there!! yoHo!

On 2007-10-29 16:48, Hiphipahula wrote:
Yeah Man, I mean dude, sisterette, sistah, Kate & me... like vines on twine ... we gonna call in sick & party like rock stars! wait, I'm not working... But I'll be there!! yoHo!

Can't wait to see you, Kelly. It's been a while. Oh wait, I'll see you tonight too. Good week to be out and about. Yehaa!

R

YEAAAAA I CAN'T WAIT!!! 4 MORE DAYS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'll be bringin' my good buddy, Luigi, who's totally knew to the tiki world - so let's show him what it's all about!

I'm packed and ready. Got zombie mugs [including ltd editions], prints, necklaces and mahiki menus [rare first editions] for sale or trades.

My art is being framed in San Diego as I type.

Leave the UK tomorrow with 2 days planned in LA before heading south for the Bali Hai. Looking forward to meeting up with you guys soon.

CA

what part of "this show is 2 days before Halloween" did i not understand.... crazy...

scary night ahead......

do i continue to carve on this dude?

or do i finish these guys...

or do i continue to work on this guy?

I'm working on this guy this afternoon

do i continue to carve on this dude?
or do i finish these guys...
or do i continue to work on this guy?

Yes! to all of the Above,Al!
Coffee/Red Bull/Chocolate covered Espresso Beans and No-Doz
should help you along!
Tantalizing Pics Al!
Getting antsy wantin to see these!
2 More Days!

T

C Al, that Moai mountain, or should I say volcano, is looking sweet. Moais all the way around, some laying back. I like it

CA

54! DIFFERENT COLORS.... "Hawaiian Kind Hues!!"

Only 54 Repeated colors many as few as two each! no more then 4 of one color!!
140 limited run of 'Hawaiian Kind Hues'

A slave to my art... i was out on the streets by 12:10... technically not Halloween anymore... but in Hollywood! every day is Halloween!!!!! look what the cat dragged in... or vis'er/ver'ser...

wow...speaking of 'Dragged-in' good thing I knew these guys???

Not in a Biblical way??? silly.........

T

Awesome job Al . The Moai's look like an Imperial Army in a Star wars sequel .I love the colors .

MN

wow...speaking of 'Dragged-in' good thing I knew these guys???

Not in a Biblical way??? silly.........

NUTS!! So to speak. I miissed it again. My buddy Bob lives up there and keeps inviting me, in June :roll: , to come up for Hween.

She's a man, baby!!

T

Hello all, look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow night it should be quite a show.

Below are a couple of pieces we're bringing along, if you'd like to see more take a look in the Bosko thread in Creating Tiki.

Thanks

Bosko

BM

sweet lono ..I feel like a total TOOL for not being able to go to this...
which I am sure is a feeling shared by MANY a TCer

C

The monkey has landed. I am in Encinitas now with art in tow and ready to go. I am having some trouble finding the dealio for how early the artists need to get there to set up. If any one can shoot me a PM with the scoop it would be much appreciated. Otherwise I will show up around 4:00 and hope for the best.
Off to the beach for some cold morning glass.
Spock ya tonight,
Chongz

On 2007-11-02 08:08, bb moondog wrote:

Another Arizona TOOL??? I'm totally bummed I can't go!!! We should start up some tiki stuff here in AZ....Doug Horne lives here in the valley!

On 2007-11-02 09:50, Tiki Kiniki wrote:

On 2007-11-02 08:08, bb moondog wrote:

Another Arizona TOOL??? I'm totally bummed I can't go!!! We should start up some tiki stuff here in AZ....Doug Horne lives here in the valley!

Velvet Glass lives in Tuscon too!! http://www.velvetglass.com

MG

Bring your boards!
Sunset Cliffs is in paddling distance.... Almost

B

Yes! I get my coloring book tonight!!

To all my west coast pals,

Have a great time at Bali Hai tonight. I Wish I was there.

On 2007-11-02 08:11, Chongolio wrote:
The monkey has landed. I am in Encinitas now with art in tow and ready to go. I am having some trouble finding the dealio for how early the artists need to get there to set up. If any one can shoot me a PM with the scoop it would be much appreciated. Otherwise I will show up around 4:00 and hope for the best.
Off to the beach for some cold morning glass.
Spock ya tonight,
Chongz

Nice.

Enjoy your session! Surfed Huntington Pier yesterday afternoon waist to chest and fun.

See you tonight... we're on our way down this afternoon after hitting a few key surf shops.

TM

I will be leaving soon. I will probably stop at Paradise point in mission bay and unwind at the barefoot bar, to kill time. Very cool tropical island in the middle of the bay. I strongly recommend anyone looking for an entire island of ornamental tropical foliage to stop by and check it out. it used to be called Vacation Village during the 70's and 80's, but was bought out. The barefoot bar is tropical themed, but you can tell it used to be a tiki bar back in the day. It's got lava rock sculptures, and other mysterious artifacts if you look carefully. It's very close to sea world, if anyone is interested.

Squid will be joining us tonight on drums-if you have ever heard him play, I don't need to tell you-he is a genius!!

TM

Thank you Nick, for a great shindig! The Smoking Menehunes had a wonderful time! I hope someone wakes up and posts some pictures! Man, I am so hungover!!

TM

On the ride home, I at least had the awesome Tikiyaki orchestra CD to listen to, which I must say is a work of genius. Pretty much every song on it is golden. I really wish they had been able to play last night, but most of the band showed up anyway. I met them and they are all very cool guys! Slapbass, that Scotch was so smooth!!

The only negative part of the evening was dealing with a new societal problem I am encountering more and more, that being the inability of parents to control thier children. I see it all too often these days, with parents (who are not bad parents, just "lazy" parents)absolutely not caring how their children behave in public, and subjecting everyone else around them to it as well. I see it in restaraunts, where the children scream and cry and throw tantrums. You are trying to eat with a modicum of peace and quiet, yet the child is screaming, Complaining to the parent only rewards you with a dirty look, as though it is somehow YOUR fault for daring to complain. On airlines, the child will scream and cry for hours on a trans-oceanic flight. It's hell. And if you bother complaining, YOU are the bad guy, not them! They bring small children to theaters, where they ruin the experience for everyone. They bring small babies to Disneyland, pushing them in mini humvee sized strollers that effectively take the physical space of 4 people. The babies are too small to enjoy Disneyland anyway, yet the parents take them. Just try to go on a weeknight to disney, and watch how these parents have small babies there even at 9 or 10 pm! Those nights used to be for teens and other people who wanted to avoid the saturday crowds.

Likewise, a Tiki event like this, with copious amounts of alcohol being consumed all around, and they feel the need to bring the toddler, who proceeds to veer dangerously close to the band's expensive equiptment over and over again. My bass is custom made, and cost three grand. My steel player's guitar was built in 1951 and has no monetary value. it's priceless and unreplaceable. Once a treasure like that is tipped over and damaged, no money can bring it back. I don't say they are bad parents, but just "lazy". Their child's behavior becomes everyone else's problem, and that is just not right! I understand children are rowdy, fidgety and like to explore. However, until they are at the age when they won't do these things, they should not be invited to any event or taken anywhere else where their behavior impacts everyone else. My parents would have yanked us out of any place we were acting up at, or better yet, I remember a thing called "Babysitters" which my parents used quite a bit so they could have their adult time, and go to adult parties. MY parents knew I would act up, so guess what? I was rarely taken anywhere like that. Least not until I was older, and not likely to knock a priceless piece of art over, or put my hands on a musical instrument that does not belong to me.

I will tell this to those parents who insist that their child has a right to do and go wherever they want: Bring your damn checkbook! You WILL be paying for what your child broke!

'nuff said.

S

Wow...What a night...I had an absolute blast..Hey Lucas that was some fine playing and I really enjoyed the Smokin Menehunes..I was gonna keep offering you some of the 12 year old Whiskey but that can creep up on ya real fast..It was great to meet all the people.I had awsome conversations from tiki to who was the first punk rock band to Is there any good rockabilly anymore to the best way to bbq tritip...Your names are fuzzy due to the Whiskey and Mai Tais..Well my first tiki expierence down I cant wait for the next one..Sorry to the group of people who invited me to the next bar..Didnt know our way around and cabs were non existent..But for sure next time..Thanx to digitki and tikiyaki for scooping us up and going to Dennys and the ride to the hotel..Who knew you couldnt get a cab after 10 oclock..

Hey Lucas hope nothing bad happened to any of the instruments..Your right they are expensive and in some cases irreplaceable..I still cringe when I think of the drunk who wanted to help me with my bass and dropped it from a 6' stage..uuurrggh.

TM

Snap!

My bass is like my right arm. I can't live without it. If some drunk dropped it, scratched, broke it or even looked at it sideways------!!!!

As to the Scotch, it crept brother, it crept!! I was pretty much in outer space. I chilled in my car for a while, though, till I was ok to drive. Luckily I had saved a vietnamese sandwich, which although stunk up my car pretty good, tasted mighty fine and helped soak up the liquor that was festering in my stomach.

Man, I would hate to be on the wrong side of slapbass if I dropped his instrument! You are a BIG guy, my pinoy brother!! And from what I was hearing from people, you are a shredding bass player! In fact, you and all your friends are exceedingly cool people!

Ang tulin ng bangka di sa kahoy galing, kundi sa piloto't sa hihip ng hangin!

T

Indeed a great nite.

Nice to meet the most vocal supporter of The Tikiyaki Orchestra.....Lucas Vigor. Hey, right back atcha. Smokin Menehunes were awesome, and that was some fine bass playing. Glad SlapBass's bad influence (ie: 12 year old Scotch) didn't impede....

Also great to finally meet Chongolio and thank him in person for all the great vibes and support. Aloha Brah , and Mahalo for the print !

I have to say, the award for best dressed has to go to Holden. Snappy, man, snappy ! Me,him and Bosko all figured out that we're the same age, talked story about our first records and concerts...it was great. Meeting Bosko was awesome too, having been a fan of his stuff since, like, 1996. Those new pieces were great.

Went to the Freaky Boutiki and met everyone there. What a place. I think I need to get that Tiki Bong for da pakalolo :P

A note on the Kid comment. I didn't notice the kids being particularly crazy at this event, but I wasn't paying attention that closely. BUT, I am of the midset that thinks that airplanes should have a soundproofed section for families with kids under the age of 5. Having been on too many flights with screeching infants (earplugs help, but not entirely), I can relate. Restaurants too.

Lucas, hopefully, your gear didn't endure any child derived accidents.

Anyway, great art, great music, great venue, great time. Oh, and the Hula Dancers....did I mention the Hula dancers ?.....nuff said.

I only wish we could have played, but....whadayagonnado ?

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-11-03 17:38 ]

TM

Oh man! Those hula dancers!!!!

I could go on an on about that, but I won't.

I hope someone posts some pix!!

TM

And regarding the kids, one was dancing cutely the whole time, the other was trying like the devil to get on stage and touch our stuff. I don't mind if they dance, or are even there so much, just the touching of the equiptment, and the fact that the parent could see it was making us incomfortable and really did not do anything to stop it. That's basically what I was refering to, and the whole parenting thing in general.

I am so dissapointed at the huge ass crowds at Disney on weeknights (during the winter, no less) that I am not renewing my annual pass for the first time in years. And I live less then 10 minutes away!

WoooHoo! What a Fun Night :) Mucho Mahalo to Nick, The Smokin Menehunes, & all The Tiki Artists who helped to put on this event.

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-11-03 19:06 ]

On 2007-11-03 18:16, lucas vigor wrote:
And regarding the kids, one was dancing cutely the whole time, the other was trying like the devil to get on stage and touch our stuff. I don't mind if they dance, or are even there so much, just the touching of the equiptment, and the fact that the parent could see it was making us incomfortable and really did not do anything to stop it. That's basically what I was refering to, and the whole parenting thing in general.

I'm assuming you're referring to my daughter as the one that was dancing. I was watching her and made sure she did not go on stage or touch the instruments. I hope no one was offended by my daughter's dancing.
Ran

I'm offended that I showed up too late to see her! Must have just missed you guys.
Cheers.

TM

On 2007-11-03 19:29, kick_the_reverb wrote:

On 2007-11-03 18:16, lucas vigor wrote:

I'm assuming you're referring to my daughter as the one that was dancing. I was watching her and made sure she did not go on stage or touch the instruments. I hope no one was offended by my daughter's dancing.
Ran

Yeah, she was the well behaved one that was dancing and really getting into it! At no point did she get anywhere near the stage.

And she was cute as a button too.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TM

Yeah, we all thought so too. Palika was calling her "Keiki".

Big!!!! TIKI!!!! Dude!!!!!

(It was nice to see ya last night!)

Lucas,
you guys sounded great.
good to see ya too.

I had a blast last night.
the event and the turn out was fantastic.
we need to have more big events like that.
the Sam's Seafood last Sun. and the Bali Hi event make it easier to wait for Tiki Oasis next year.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

man i had a blast, thanks for putting the shin dig together nick. I scored one of those sweet prints by derek, and a new bali hai mug. cant wait till next years!

We were there for only a couple of hours, and BTD told me there were even more people later, but I thought even at around 8:00 pm there were more than enough people to call this a success. I liked a lot of the art and dug the tunes by The Smoking Menehunes.
Thanks for putting this together!
Ran

C

Wowzerz! What else can I say. It was so AWESOME to see everybody, eyeball great art, fill the ears with sweet tunes and bask in aloha and tiki vibes which permeated shelter island. I took a few pics but started off my trip by leaving my "gig" bag on my first flight to Honolulu which had my ipod and camera cables in it. The bag is in safe hands but not in my possession. I will post my pics as soon as I can get them on my laptop. (I may have to invest in one of these things.) Highlights for me were:

Seeing so many of the Tiki Central Ohana again in such a great venue. **BIG OLD MAHALOZ ** to Nick, Michelle, Eileen, Jonpaul, Holden, all the artists and musicans who made this event a really really good time and worth every penny and popped brain cell spent.

Seeing and talkin' with so many people who enjoyed my art and the story of the Tiki and Turtle Travelers. I can never say it enough times how much your support and encouragement means to me. Monkeyman!! You're a good dude and I am stoked to call you a buddy! ** Mahalo to all you **

I am stoked to finally meet up with Tiki Chris in person for the first time in person over years of friendship and collaboration. It was also a pleasure to also have a drink and talk story with Tikiyaki, Digi Tiki, Lake Surfer, Tiki Shark and Tiki Racer. Ravenne! I kept meaning to say hello to you but when I finally disengaged my mouth you was gone.

Thanks to Moki and Rick for bringin' down some grinds from upstairs. You guys spared what probably would of been a raging hangover the next morning. I look forward to meetin' Auggie Doggie some time! CONGRATS!!

Shushing in Ali'i's room till we were all finally kicked out.

Invading the Humphrey's club and drunken dancing to the new Commodores all the while blowin' minds with our hot tiki crazy leg action.

I scored lots or nice goodies too! Coloring book, mug and print by Little Lost Ruzic. A commemorative pendant from Crazy Al, a really cool simian picture book from Tiki Chris, a shell necklace from beautiful Hula dancers and a one of a kind, hand crayoned collaboration on breakfast napkin by Suzy, Swampfire, Grog, Kirby and Big Tiki Dude. (yes the Big Tiki Dude has art mad art skillz.) BTD, thanks for drivin' and gettin' us all to a good eatery. It was really really cool to sit down with all of you and talk art, share stories and adventures.

Surfin' some juicy waves with my friends in Encinitas before the show.

I am now waitin' to hook up with Tiki Chris and Tiki Racer and make our way North. We will be stoppin' by the Farm for the nickel tour compliments of Makedamug and a visit to Little Lost Tikis Studio for a peek at some eye candy ala Ruzic. Then off to the Bay Area for the crawl along with a few Tiki stops on the way.

Wagons ho!

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

GT

Dani and I had a Great Time! Nice to see so many great artist and fellow mug makers in one fantastic event -

The Bali Hai, Has Great Food and A Beautiful Veiw Of The Harbor.

My personal favorites at the event - All though all the art was Great!

Nice to meet from across the pond! "Tiki Racer" along with Chris Osburn ( not pictured )

Dani and I enjoy seeing fellow TC'ers Mahalo! All

And I Guess It's True! Tiki Carvers ( Got Wood! )

Good To See You All! Mahalo Gogo

CA

nice! I wish i got to work the room a bit more... lots of the usual Great folks and so many extras from over seas!!! and land Too!!!

nice!!!! another great time

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies