Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Smokin' Menehunes will be at the Catalina Fish Kitchen in Huntington Beach this Friday, May 28th

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies

YAY! If Trevor can get out of work at a decent time, we'll head up for sure. We always love a Menehune's show, and he's never seen Bill Tapia perform. He might be excited about pizza too. :wink:

Im there .

Bummer boys, but it doesn't look like Trevor's going to be out of work early enough for us to make it up to the Fish Kitchen before you're wrapping up. We'll head straight to Don's, and hope to see you there so we can buy you a drink. Have a great show, and hopefully we can catch you next time. Friday's are tough.

A little delayed post here , however one well worth mentioning .The man of many musical instruments,
the talented -Jim Bacci sat in for a session with the Menehues on the bongos, and boy did they sound
great together.I think you guys should jam together more often.Thanks to all the band members for
really making my evening that night and let's not forget the awesome Bill Tapia .

TM

Jim is a musician's musician. A true pro in every way!

The Bacchi......

Just in from the coconut/bong wire:

YES! The Smokin' Menehunes will be at the Catalina Fish Kitchen in Huntington Beach from 7 to 9pm this Friday, May 28th

The Catalina Fish Kitchen is on the corner of Garfield and Magnolia in Huntington Beach. (Just 1.5 miles south off the 405 Fwy)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2010-05-23 18:02 ]

Is it Friday yet????

If I'm feeling well, I'm gonna swing by for 1 set, then go see the Hula Girls.
odd that they are both playing the same night.

Jeff(btd)

T

I'll be there with bongos ready to go.

We are battling for your love. Haha...

J

Does the Catalina Fish Kitchen have a bar, or is it better to get fortified at nearby Don's?

I may be south of the Orange Curtain tomorrow afternoon.

No bar. They serve beer and wine, though!

Highly recommended that you come, Mr. john-Oh! Because we got Jim Tikiyaki on bongos! (and that always makes us sound 150% better!)

I would get "fortified" at Don's, or even at Fiztgerald's next door. then come to the Catalina and have some Fish Tacos!

On 2010-05-27 10:00, JOHN-O wrote:
Does the Catalina Fish Kitchen have a bar, or is it better to get fortified at nearby Don's?

I may be south of the Orange Curtain tomorrow afternoon.

They serve beer & wine :)

J

I drink beer and wine. As much as I love Don's, I understand the importance ($$) of supporting the Host.

I hope to make it on Friday since I'm not 100% sure I can be at Mariepalooza (but I did buy my ticket :)).

I believe they have a few different Hawaiian, and Mexican beers.
probably some other stuff too.

Great food though.
Highly recommend eating there.

Jeff(btd)

Nevermind that Tikiyaki guy, come down for Bill Tapia !

See y'all there tomorrow.

Aloha, Baby !

TM

I noticed a lot of people taking pictures last night...any chance anyone can post them? (I am not on facebook)....please?

hey Lucas, will you sit on my Facebook?
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

J

On 2010-05-27 12:14, JOHN-O wrote:
I hope to make it on Friday since I'm not 100% sure I can be at Mariepalooza.....

Three things on my Tiki "To Do Before I Die" List:

1. Make a pilgrimage to the Mai Kai.
  2. Visit Kirby's Rumpus Room (wherever that is).
  3. See the Smokin' Menehunes.

I kept waiting for the SMs to play north of Long Beach but it looked like that wasn't gonna happen. I also missed Friday's show. :( I did however get to see them at Mariepalooza !! :)

I really had high expectations and you know what, I wasn't disappointed. This wasn't an updated for the 21st-century Tiki Revival hybrid fusion band, it was old-school "good enough for 1960, good enough for 2010" classic Hapa Haole Hawaiian soul music. I wanted it purist and that's what they delivered. Two thumbs up !!

Don's of course is a great venue and what you would imagine to be the perfect place to experience the band. The downside was that the happy revelry (and bad acoustics) of the Dagger Bar at times overshadowed the music. I'd really like to see the SMs play at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel's outdoor patio with only the sounds of crashing Waikiki waves and clinking cocktail glasses to be heard. That would be perfection. I will however take the Catalina Fish Kitchen as a 2nd choice. Lucas, when is the next show? Put me on the guest list.

Okay, now does anyone here know how I find the Rumpus Room? :D

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-06-01 23:37 ]

T

On 2010-06-01 22:53, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2010-05-27 12:14, JOHN-O wrote:
I hope to make it on Friday since I'm not 100% sure I can be at Mariepalooza.....

I'd really like to see the SMs play at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel's outdoor patio with only the sounds of crashing Waikiki waves and clinking cocktail glasses to be heard. That would be perfection. I will however take the Catalina Fish Kitchen as a 2nd choice. Lucas, when is the next show? Put me on the guest list.

Well, Pat (Singer/uke) has played there, and many other classic Hawaiian places, hence the authenticity.

Busters Beach House in Long Beach on one of the Sunday 4-7 pm shows is an even better place.
Before the accident, Marie would bartend on sundays.

What you get :
3 or 4 sets of Menehunes
A full wall of glass looking out into the Long Beach Canal/marina - boats passing by etc
A great Sunset
Great classic cocktails by Marie (when she's better, hopefully)
Awesome food
FREE admission
No Bill tapia at those tho'.
Still,A perfect way to spend a Sunday. I really wish more TC'ers would go to those gigs.

On 2010-06-01 23:35, tikiyaki wrote:
I really wish more TC'ers would go to those gigs.

Word!!

J

On 2010-06-01 23:35, tikiyaki wrote:
I really wish more TC'ers would go to those gigs.

Hey I had their June 6th gig on my calendar (saw it on Facebook) but they canceled it due to some other "more important" event.

Flakey musicians !!

( :D )

TM

Guys, I really want to thank you for your comments. It made my day!

As far as Busters, we do like playing there, but this time it was my fault we are cancelling the 6-6-10 show. It's not the same without Marie, anyway!

But, we will do it again, and hopefully, hopefully, Jim will sit in again!!!!!

O

I got to the Mariepalooza late. Took almost three hours to get over the boarder from Mexico, longer since I didn't have my passport with me.
The boarder guard didn't think i was funny when I said "Passport? I don't need no stinking passport!" Those guys have no sense of humor.

Missed most of the bands by the time I arrived at dark but I did get some video of the Tikiyaki Orchestra at the end.
What a great event. Woo Hoo and Soccer, thank you and all the event staff. You two really do need to be event planners. What a night.

Tikiyaki Orchestra May 30, 2010 at the Mariepalooza, Don the beachcomber's, Huntington Beach, California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaKQPncf3Ac

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2010-06-02 08:43 ]

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Jun 2, 2010 9:13 AM

Tim, you posted on the wrong thread !!

I can see you've been imbibbing in that Havana Club you smuggled across the border. :D

Tim is the master of posting cool stuff in wring threads.
:wink:

send him a PM with the link of the Marie palooza thread and ask him to post it there.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies