Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Smokin' Menehunes will be at the Catalina Fish Kitchen in Huntington Beach this Friday, May 28th

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies

manyana

Just in from the Live Coconut "Bong" Wire....... Bill Tapia will be at The Kitchen tonight too!! WooHoo!!

yeh hah!

See you there...soon!

TM

Thanks everyone who managed to find a seat! Good Lord, it was packed! We saw one guy leave and a short while later return with his own chair he brought from home! Anyway, good times! And ps, Soccer. I was serious about the over 40 league.

since I am 37, I guess that I'm not part of the over 40 league.
but that's not why I didn't show up.
had last min plans pop up.
sorry I didn't make it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

WooHoo! What a fun Friday Night. Like Lucas Vigor said, The Smokin Menehunes literally packed The Catalina Fish Kitchen. There was standing room only. For those of you who couldn't make it we hope to see you next month :)

This just in from the coconut wire.......

Yes, the Smokin' Menehunes will be back at Catalina Fish Kitchen in
Huntington Beach this Friday. Our performance starts at 7pm, however, it
would be advisable to get there early. The last time we played, one of our
friends went home to get his own chair to sit on. He lives in the area, and
ALL chairs were taken that night. Honest !

I know it will be another fun evening. Hope to see you there.

Mahalo,
Palika

The Mr. and I will try to make it!
Last time was so crowded partly because a uke class took a field trip to hear Bill! My lil table for 2 was 'shared' by 4 others from the class who decided to sit with us. As if they had a choice!
What a crowd! Awesome tunes and great company!!
VERY popular-get there early to eat!

WooHoo! One more day :)

The Smokin Menehunes will be at The Catalina Fish Kitchen this Fri., 4/17 at 7:00pm. Make sure you get there early to get a seat. The Smokin Menehunes always pack the house.

Hope to see some people that don't normally come!

Raveeeeeeeeeeeeenneeeeeeee!! I want YOU! I know you live in OC! C'mon, what are you waiting for! I even will buy you a drink if you show!

I will prob be there.
I just need to get moving early.
I'm tired of getting there, and having nowhere to sit.

the food there is soooo good.
I want to see the Bamboo Ben Family there.
its so close to them.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-04-13 14:10, WooHooWahine wrote:

The Smokin Menehunes will be at The Catalina Fish Kitchen this Fri., 4/17 at 7:00pm. Make sure you get there early to get a seat. The Smokin Menehunes always pack the house.

TGIF!! WooHoo! :)

TM

On 2009-04-15 20:29, bigtikidude wrote:
I will prob be there.
I just need to get moving early.
I'm tired of getting there, and having nowhere to sit.

the food there is soooo good.
I want to see the Bamboo Ben Family there.
its so close to them.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I am just going to be happy if people like Ravene show up (and I am just using her as an example of people on this forum that support each and every exotica band, but tend to neglect Hapa Haole bands like us- no offense intended) .

I realize we are not an exotica band, but this is the music you would have heard in Waikiki back in the 50's, 60's and early 70's. Think Don Ho and Sam Kapua singing "sweet someone" to Bobby and Cindy Brady. That's what we do. (Except your ukelele won't break.)

Deedle deedle doo!

great show tonight,
and Bill Tapia was on fire tonight,
playing wise and joke wise,
that guy is a riot.
so cool man.

glad I went.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

TM

I am glad you went, too! And you stayed the entire time! It was less packed then ususal, but still a great crowd!

WooHoo! Are you ready for a Double Dose of The Smokin Menehunes??

The Smoking Menehunes will be playing at The Catalina Fish Kitchen on Friday, May 15 @ 7:00pm
AND
at Buster's Beach House on Sunday, May 17 @ 4:00pm

What a Tiki-rrific Way to Start and End Your Weekend!!

Looking forward to Friday! Remember to get there early. Sometimes its "SRO" standing room only!

WooHoo! Four more days :)

Come on everyone lets show some support to the Menehunes and pack the place. Their Hapa Haole style music was a major part of the original Tiki period which I know many of us enjoy. It just seems to me everyone puts all their support behind the Surf/Exotica bands but when it comes to the old Hawaiian style not many seem to go, what gives? There aren't many good groups of this style left, and theses guys are some of the best. And as a bonus 95% of the time you also get to hear one of the worlds oldest still performing musicians, Bill Tapia, who at 101 is still going strong! So come see a great show for the cost of a meal and show some Aloha spirit for the Menehunes.

In the immortal words of Bamboo Ben - Let enjoy what we have, while we still have it!

[ Edited by: Hinano_Paul 2009-05-12 13:28 ]

I'm gonna try to be there Fri. but there are other things that night.
that I have to go to also,

but I will definitely be at Busters on Sun.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

An excerpt from an email I received from my very good friend Palika:
"....and Bill (Tapia) might introduce his new song for the very first time. Its a song composed by him, with lyrics by Jim Beloff. What a song !! Its called 'Ukulele Man'."
All the more reason to see the Menehunes this weekend!!!

Pam & I will be there! Looking forward to the show!

My Dad is in town , and I am going to bring him.He will enjoy the hawaiian music.
See you all there ...Aloha

Awesome Betty Blue and 1961 surf!

Bring a camera and make sure you take a picture with us!!!! (That's always part of our show, posing with Bill~)

S

Hey Lucas...See ya Sunday..With work being the next day dont expect a flask in my back pocket..But then again.....

On 2009-05-06 12:21, WooHooWahine wrote:
WooHoo! Are you ready for a Double Dose of The Smokin Menehunes??

The Smoking Menehunes will be playing at The Catalina Fish Kitchen on Friday, May 15 @ 7:00pm
AND
at Buster's Beach House on Sunday, May 17 @ 4:00pm

What a Tiki-rrific Way to Start and End Your Weekend!!

WooHoo! TGIF!!!

bump

Sorry to miss...Ben has to get on the road tomorrow on a round trip to Palm Desert. Hope you had a good show. My sister said a bunch of Moms at her elementary school pick up were talking about going. :)

HB ROCKS! We're going off behind our "Orange Curtain."

Aloha!

WoooHooo! What a way to start the weekend. For those of you who missed out Don't Forget: The Smoking Menehunes will be at Buster's tomorrow at 4:00 :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2009-05-16 12:47 ]

T

WOW!!!! We had a great time last night...

Tikitatt

Are you ready for a Double Dose of the Smokin Menehunes this Weekend?

The Smokin' Menehunes will be performing this Friday from 7 to 9pm at the
Catalina Fish Kitchen on the corner of Garfield and Magnolia in Huntington Beach.

They will also perform at Buster Beach House in Long Beach this
Sunday, June 28th from 4 to 7pm

Unfortunately, SoccerTiki and I will be out of town. I hope someone takes lots of pics to post :) Hint..Hint!!

I will be at Busters for sure.
probably at Fish Kitchen.
gotta support tiki music musicians,
just like supporting tiki artists and tiki bars.
remember musicians are artists too.
:o

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm gonna try and make it Sunday...

That is, if there's no earthquakes.

Busters is a blast when the Menehunes play!!!

On 2009-06-24 09:35, Dartin Menny wrote:
I'm gonna try and make it Sunday...

That is, if there's no earthquakes.

Busters is a blast when the Menehunes play!!!

You rock, Dartin!

If I see you, I am going to pry your brain for more bass knowledge!!!!!! (I learn something more about bass every time I have talked to you!)

Bump for tonight

Jeff(bigtikidude)

We'll be there for sure tomorrow... Can't wait!!!

Nothing better than some Smokin' Menehunes and Lobster Quesadillas on a Sunday afternoon!

Thank you everyone from TC that came last night! We had a blast, though I think I might have been a tad buzzed!!!!

(I had 3 of my signature Gin and Tonics before I even got there!)

Nice, considering the deputy director of my agency and his wife showed up!! Can't wait to hear the watercooler chat on Monday! ("geez, we knew Lucas was a bit off, but a drunky as well?")

Cool thing was, while we were playing "woim" from the little rascals was keeping a steady beat with his tap shoes, so we had a "hi hat" finally! (I am totally not kidding about that, it was "woim". Woim and Butchy were the two bullies on the show that always had chocolate on their faces)

I saw pictures being taken, I am sure someone will post them soon!

Sunday will be really cool. I love playing at Buster's (even though Marie is gone now....) amd just staring out the window at the sun setting over the ocean while we jam...!!

lucas vigor wrote:
love playing at Buster's (even though Marie is gone now....)

Yeah, Marie not being there behind the bar is kind of a downer... who's going to make the good drinks???

Oh pooh, I was figuring on popped over to have one of Marie's yummies. I didn't know she was gone from Buster's.

Jen

A Little BTD Birdie told me that Marie still works at Buster's on Sunday :)

TM

Yeah, I might have been mistaken. Looks like she will be there on Sunday!!!

Oooooohhhhhh, that is yummy news. I will need a brake on this hot day from building new tiki stuff for Oasis.

Jen

Well then, the day keeps getting better!

CA

biking over to pirate days in Belmont shores on the pier! Booze at the end of the pier! then the Armada leaves port and sails down wind! to busters...... ARrrrrr.

RRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is going to be fun! I am so looking forward to at least 15 less degrees!!

What time does the Smokin Menehues go on 4:00pm ?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies