Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Smokin' Menehunes will be at the Catalina Fish Kitchen in Huntington Beach this Friday, May 28th

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies

I'm in!! Smokin Menehunes rock and my first visit to Catalina Fish Kitchen.

actually they used to Rock when Spike was with them,
now they swing,
dig?

:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

WoooHoooo! TGIF Finally!! Hope to see everyone at The Catalina Fish Kitchen tonight. If you want a double dose of the Smokin Menehunes don't forget they will be playing at Buster's Beach house this Sunday too.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28123&forum=17&6&PHPSESSID=6132b16c6d93cd7091d5482cf829c68c

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2008-04-25 07:42 ]

The Smokin Menehunes will be performing at The Catalina Fish Kitchen this Saturday, 5/24/08 at 7:00pm

Sat. Not Fri.????

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Where is the Catalina Fish Kitchen? I will be in OC Saturday and would love to come if it fits into the schedule. What time is a good time to arrive? Is there a cover?
Thank you,
Gem

On 2008-05-21 22:08, bigtikidude wrote:
Sat. Not Fri.????

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yes, that's what we were told :)

On 2008-05-22 11:43, sparklegem wrote:
Where is the Catalina Fish Kitchen? I will be in OC Saturday and would love to come if it fits into the schedule. What time is a good time to arrive? Is there a cover?
Thank you,
Gem

No cover!!

Catalina Fish Kitchen from 7 to 9pm.

Hope you can make it. Expect good music and fine friends. WooHoo!!

Catalina Fish Kitchen
19171 Magnolia
H.B., CA 92646
(about 2 miles south of the 405 fwy on the right just past Garfield)

SoccerTiki and I will be out of town. Hope everyone has fun :)

TM

I don't have the exact address (Perhaps someone else can help with that?)

But it is in Huntington beach, basically at the corner of Magnolia and Garfield. About a block south of the intersection. In the same strip mall as the rock club, Fitzgeralds.

For those people who have not heard the Smoking Menehunes, we are a vintage Hawaiian Hapa-Haole cover band. No originals. Our style is mellow, a bit jazzy. We play no exotica, surf or slack-key. Only "tropical swing". That's either a good thing or a bad thing! Good, in that we play some classic songs (actually, since we have a 60+ song list ALL the classic hapa haole songs are in our repetoir) bad because I know how many exotica and surf fans belong to this forum (we love that music too, but feel there are enough great bands like Waitiki and the Tikiyaki Orchestra playing that style already-we just want to carve our own little nitch)
The band hails from HB, but is led by Palika, who is a native Hawaiian. We are steel guitar, upright bass and uke. Nothing flashy. Just meat and potatos. The band was intitially started by Lucky Designs and Tiki Bong, way back in the old days as sort of a mix between rockabilly and Hawaiian. Over the years we have been honored to have some luminaries such as Squid, Crazy Al and King Kukulele help us out with our sound. We take requests, encourage ANYONE to get up and jam with us, and like to make a nice relaxing evening of it. Occasionally our Godfather Bill Tapia sits in on Uke and shows us young-uns how it is done.
Our logo and custom hats were designed and created by Tiki central's own CAMMO, and we have some t-shirts and stickers available. No CD. I strongly encourage anyone wanting to hear really, really old stuff (or as Palika sings it "songs that are old but still new") to come on down! If you are coming down specifically for the band, try to get there around 6:30. The food is great (casual seafood) and they serve Beer (No exotic drinks). Afterwards, you can usually catch good punk bands a few doors down at Fitzgeralds. Hope to see you!!

On 2008-05-22 13:06, lucas vigor wrote:
I don't have the exact address (Perhaps someone else can help with that?)

Catalina Fish Kitchen
19171 Magnolia
H.B., CA 92646

TM

Oh yeah, and Woohoo wahine is our press agent, archiver and un-official band manager (plus dear friend) !! WOOHOOOOO ROCKS!!!!

I don't mind that you dont play surf or Exotica.....

I like what you play.

will be there Sat.

even though I've seen an assful of you guys lately.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

The wife is sick but will try to make it if she feels better. What a way to start the three day weekend.

Mahalo,
Tikitatt
Myspace.com/velvetpainter

[ Edited by: Tikitatt 2008-05-23 06:10 ]

TM

On 2008-05-22 19:23, bigtikidude wrote:
I don't mind that you dont play surf or Exotica.....

I like what you play.

will be there Sat.

even though I've seen an assful of you guys lately.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ha! That's right you did! Man, I was so sick at Leroy's! I still am not 100%....but this saturday, I am laying it down fingerstyle only, just for you BTD!!

The Smokin Menehunes will be playing this Friday, June 27th

No cover!!

Catalina Fish Kitchen from 7 to 9pm.

Hope you can make it. Expect good music and fine friends. WooHoo!!

Catalina Fish Kitchen
19171 Magnolia
H.B., CA 92646

SoccerTiki and I will be out of town. Hope everyone has fun :)

I will be there Woohoooooooooooooooo !

I just received this through the coconut wire:

Aloha Kakou:

Just a short note to let you know that the Smokin' Menehunes will be
performing at the Catalina Fish Kitchen this Friday from 7pm to 9pm. Please
come and enjoy the music and visit with friends.

We perform there just about every last Friday of the month. Hope to see you
there:

Catalina Fish Kitchen
19171 Magnolia
Huntington Beach, CA 92646
ph.: (714) 963-9921

Mahalo and a hui hou!
Palika

TM

Bump!

This just in:

We will be bringing and selling the following items:

Smoking Menehune Ceremonial fountain-limited edition (3 made) for $499.00
and:
Smoking Menehune offical kookylau mug-limited edition (3 made) for $39.99

The good news is you won't have to wait in the hot sun for 4 hours to get these fine items! You can sit in an air-conditioned restaraunt, drink beer and listen to a Hawaiian band (almost an afterthought) and score big with these items!

Additionally, for this one night only the Smoking Menehunes will be featuring very special guest stars Jimmy Buffet on the Theremin, and the lovely Ms. Lilac Seville, Ms. Crystal cordova and Ms. Kitten Prius doing their world famous burlesque!! So if our previous announcements for these free shows don't grab ya, perhaps these will!! (Other then that I am sure there is a Rolling Stones concert somewhere that you might find more to your liking in the event that professionally played Hawaiian music from the 1950's doesn't do it for you!)

Hot off the Coconut Wire......

Aloha Kakou:

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou to all of you. Its a new year, and YES, the
Menehunes will be back at the Catalina Fish Kitchen in Huntington Beach
Friday, January 23rd from 7:00 to 9:00. Casual and fun !!

We look forward to happy times at the Kitchen in 2009. Hope to see you all there.

Mahalo and a hui hou,
Palika

Cool! I haven't seen them since early summer, my schedule has been crazy. Puttin' it on my calendar in ink right now! See you there, WhooHoo! Will Soccer Tiki and Hinano Paul be playing their ukes again?

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-01-20 12:27 ]

I'll prob be there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bump.

WooHooo!!! It's Friday. Hope to see everyone tonight :)

I'm going to try and make it...

Haven't seen them since Sam's first re-opened (before it became Kona) awhile back.

T

We are going to try to make it. It all depends on when Shanna gets home from work today. Who holds a late meeting on a Friday?

Tikitatt

leaving at 6 pm

Jeff(btd)

Yeah, that was fun! Great to see the Menahunes, Bill Tapia, Soccer and WhooHoo, Big Tiki Dude, and my cuz Robert! That was a wonderful suprise! It's never a bad time hanging with the TC peeps.

Sooo Sorry I missed it tonight.

Next time....

WooHoo! What a way to start the weekend. Once again The Smokin Menehunes packed the house.

Mini-WooHoo stoled the stage :)

TikiFarm Sharon

Tsunami Shanna & Tikitatt finally came out of hibernation :)

Kiki Von Tiki & Daughter Chloe

Lucas Vigor & Friends

Is that Robert August in the photo with Kiki von Tiki and her daughter Chloe?

Looks just like him....

On 2009-01-25 13:04, Dartin Menny wrote:

Looks just like him....

Yes, that is Robert August who happens to be Kiki's cousin.

• WooHooWahine wrote:*
  • Dartin Menny wrote:*

Looks just like him....

Yes, that is Robert August who happens to be Kiki's cousin.

Very cool. Haven't seen him in years.

My friend Eric used to work at Spanners (where Robert shapes surfboards) with him. We used to surf with him every Tuesday at San O...

Nice to see surfing royalty at the gig!

Yep, that's Robert August and he is my cousin! I lost track of him for a looong time but we have recently reconnected. It was just random that we ran into him there, he was there having dinner with a friend and didn't expect the crowd. Hang out some in HB and you'll run into him regularly! I'm hoping he will come to my birthday bash at the Purple Orchid, but no promises.

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-01-25 14:52 ]

On 2009-01-25 14:49, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
Yep, that's Robert August and he is my cousin! I lost track of him for a looong time but we have recently reconnected. It was just random that we ran into him there, he was there having dinner with a friend and didn't expect the crowd. Hang out some in HB and you'll run into him regularly! I'm hoping he will come to my birthday bash at the Purple Orchid, but no promises.

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-01-25 14:52 ]

Yeah... unfortunately I only go into HB to surf and not really hang out too much anymore...

I used to work at the Robert August store in Huntington Surf & Sport years ago.

Glad you got re-connected to your cousin Kiki!

wow thats so cool,
and also shows how out of it I was on Fri.
I didn't even notice that was Robert August.

not that I'm a star struck type of person,
but he is pretty big in the surf scene.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll just say I'll admit to ya that I was always kind of star struck by him, but mostly because he was a lot older than me and the family was super proud of him going out and making a name for himself relatively early. But he is a really nice, low-key surfer guy no matter how stinkin rich he is! LOL!
Now back to your regularly scheduled Smokin Menahunes convo.

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-01-26 01:13 ]

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-01-26 11:12 ]

TM

Wow! Too bad I didn't meet him!

We have had some tiki royalty at our gigs before, people like Leroy came and watched us at Sams, and of course Gary Branden from TO and The Blue Hawaiians has caught our act at the kitchen.

Robert August is a legend! I have a 9 foot Robert August board that i used to ride in the islands. For anybody that's not really sure of who he is, he appeared in a little surfing movie called Endless Summer!!!! He is definitely HB royalty! He is living the dream!

Kiki von Tiki wrote:
But he is a really nice, low-key surfer guy no matter how stinkin rich he is! LOL!

Too true...

(sorry for the thread hijacking Lucas. And sorry, again, for not being able to make it Friday)

C

That's cool...I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that Robert August's dad was also an early surf legend and a running mate of Duke Kahanamoku.

Who: The Smokin Menehunes
When: Friday, February 27 from 7:00pm-9:00pm
Where: The Catalina Fish Kitchen

Hope to see all the O.C. Tiki Central Ohana there :)

I'm planning on making it yay! All that traffic, ick.......

Kelly plus to get a good seat, I would recommend getting there at 6 ish.
so give your self even more time for that.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

WooHoo! What a weekend:
Friday: Smokin Menehunes @ The Catalina Fish KItchen
Saturday: Tiki Art Show @ Kona
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31170&forum=17&124&PHPSESSID=293466e9e73555a681564e62924d82ba
Saturday Night: Bill Tapia Concert
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31202&forum=17&4

and don't forget Hula Girls and Exotiki at the Sun brunch at the Redwood bar.

I'll be at all 3.
who else is in for the trifecta of tiki entertainment this weekend?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies