Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tikiana Art by BigToe

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 250 replies

B

Anything new Master Toe? I need a fix!

B

hey Babs! nuthin new tiki...soon. in the meantime, here are 2 "clysdale-style-tikis" for group shows opening this weekend.

this is for a psychedelic show at The Hive, downtown LA:

"Lothario in the Sub-Rod with Delusions"

and this is for the "New Years Nuisance" show at Gasoline in El Segundo:

"Mental Heath"

anyway, hope y'all have a great NYE!!!

i heard the City of Los Angeles
needs their sign back!
and Napoleon needs his hat back!

saw both of these in person
and let me tell you...
they are paintings!
:lol:

N
NOTCH posted on Fri, Jan 2, 2009 5:50 PM

Mad Skills Big Toe!!

I love your works of art my man

I gots to get me one quick like!!!

~Notch

T

Wow Big Toe! Love the new pieces... totally AWESOME! The mental health on the sign is incredible!

B

thanks kenny, notch and tabunga!

B
BigToe posted on Thu, Jan 8, 2009 7:33 PM

This is SO just barely tiki, but check it out:

Check the new issue of DEADBEAT, (Issue #8), Australia's Premier Kustom Kulture Magazine.

Hot on the heels of Deadbeat Magazine's groovy DAVID LOZEAU (Clysdale to you TC'ers, they have the good taste to profile the ubiquitous BigToe, and also have a great profile on my brother-in-arms in the Lowbrow jihad, SQUINDO.
there are also fun profiles on Primer Nats, great tattoo artists and a profile plus CENTERFOLD of the future Mrs. Toe*, the 'SIN'tillating Miss Devil Doll.

*DISCLAIMER: Devil Doll did not approve this statement, nor has she met BigToe, nor do we know if she, in fact, in anyway condones the concept of creepy dirty-old-men making inappropriate claims of personal relationships with foxy young hell-bettys.

Anyway, here is a low rez preview:

Go to http://www.deadbeatmag.com to GO GET IT NOW!

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Jan 8, 2009 7:55 PM

Wowsers! Congrats on that, Sir Toe!

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2009 6:49 AM

Dang Toe! Congrats brother! You are starting to get some mondo press lately...keep slinging da paint! Love the blue meanie with the green apple shifter :-)

SF

Fantastic! Well deserved exposure BT, congrats!

Some paintings I have not seen before, very cool stuff.

Bigtoe!

The DEADBEAT, coverage is awesome! A beautiful big juicy spread! Congratulations!

B

so i am posting a virtual-reality-time-lapse-docudrama extravaganza of my new tiki WIP.

this kooky moai (literally "figure" in the indiginous Rapa Nui tongue), was inspired by the fun stone Moai in the permanent collection the Museum at Forest Lawns Cemetery, and also inspired by the amazing lil moai that Bowana just banged out. it was cool to get to watch the fine-art whittler in action down at Babalu's TIKI JAM.

i was strolling by a construction site when a pine 4X4 called out to be rescued and transformed. here is a first shot of my penciled then inked plan and some whittling of the forehead.

it is with the utmost humility and reverence that i offer for your consideration my new project called "Suck it, Bowana".

Looks like a very cool design. Be careful when carving the small pointy areas, because pine loves to chip. Especially the kiln dried stuff. Fine detail is a bitch. Good luck, you've got the skill - may the farce be with you!

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2009-01-13 06:20 ]

it is with the utmost humility and reverence that i offer for your consideration my new project called "Suck it, Bowana".

it is with the utmost humility and reverence...whaaaaa?

Uncle Bowie's gonna impale you with his miniature flag collection
when he hears of this! :lol:

good job so far!
the world needs more "SPECIAL NEEDS" Tikis! :)

B

On 2009-01-13 09:39, little lost tiki wrote:

it is with the utmost humility and reverence...whaaaaa?

Uncle Bowie's gonna impale you with his miniature flag collection
when he hears of this! :lol:

Hey, be nice!
Hmmm... now where did I put that miniature flag pole sharpener of mine...?

B

it's all fun and games until the mini-flags come out!

Bowana, u know i'm just bitter and jealous of ur mad, mad skillz!!!

Thanks for the warning, AS! i am freaking on the details a bit.

i think i am gonna have to bust out the dremel on this one.

B

I'm honored that my name made it into it's title!
(I won't be sucking anything though)

Carve on!
:)

Mega-congrats! Whatta spread... and the article is cool too!

B

hey kids,

here is a look at the progress on my fish painted live at Musink last weekend. i am trying to figure out how to display a live running time-lapse of the painting in real-time at the opening. i may need some help with the space-time continuum if anyone is a particle physicist:

thanks to Monsieur Lozeau for the fine photos.

righteous man! that haulin ass swordfish needs to be a model kit!

B

I've seen a lot of things, but I've never seen a swordfish shifting gears so well!
How's the "Bowana Sucks" carve coming along?

Bowie

B

lol thanks guys!
Bowana, i gaze longingly at the moai waiting to be carved every day...need to catch up on paintings tho!

toe,man.that fish is looking crazy! hurry up and post a real pic!

T

Hey Tom!

Congratulations on the Deadbeat spread... mighty nice!

Your moai carving looks like it's gonna be killer! Have you done any carving before?

And thanks again for your contribution to the Kona show... Smokin' Sammy is AWESOME!

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Mar 3, 2009 3:40 PM

Mr Toes.... Nice fishy man! The float shifter knob is the cat's meow!

Call me...mug talkie...

B

here's a shot of the final:

price SLASHED at the Kona opening to $1500! Or i'll cut it in 4 pieces and sell em each for $400.

Hey Tom,
Great meeting you at the Kona art show.
Awesome Smokin' Sammy! aka Swordfink.
Love the chick with fire hair.
Wanted to buy one of your prints there, but after a few
Mai Tai's plus sensory overload -- from all the great
work on display -- things got fuzzy.
Anyway, are you showing again soon?
Or where can I see what's available framed and unframed?
Prices etc...

Bad ass Toe! Dig the float shifter

B
BigToe posted on Wed, Mar 4, 2009 2:07 PM

Thanks Ikona Ki'i!!

great to meet u too! I am totally stealing that killer name for that "Sword Fink" painting. What is ur cut going to be!?!

I don't have another tiki show for a while, i guess the next event is Bamboo Ben's Parking Lot Sale on 5/3.

In the meantime, u can see my available prints here (sorry, i dont know how to make a cool-looking hyperlink on TC):

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhotos&albumID=2491014&MyToken=78d343c2-4c06-489b-8558-9afd3c38f284

Originals can be viewed here:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhotos&albumID=2443397&MyToken=4f7d67db-424c-4dbb-b67e-3e22a0d3a7ea

then just message me with order. One of these days, i will complete my site rebuild with commerce!

thanks again and alohas,

tom

[ Edited by: BigToe 2009-03-04 14:07 ]

Thanks Mr. Toe!
I'll take a gander then send you a PM tomorrow.
Pretty much made up my mind at Kona though.

As far as my cut for Sword Fink -- I was thinking since
the title can make or break a piece of art -- How about
50%...:o...can't blame me for tryin! :wink:

Great finished product! If you cut it up, I want the left lower quadrant with the babe, the blowfish blower and the swordfish radiator cap (I hope you're kidding about takin' a chainsaw to it :o )

PS, for directions to do the "cool hyperlinks" - when posting a message, there is a yellow "Smilies" link. Click it and look down past the smilies and there are hyperlink directions:

B
BigToe posted on Thu, Mar 5, 2009 2:06 PM

dang, Iokona, u do drive a hard bargain!

keep in mind that i can deliver to the Tiki Mugs book signing if ur gonna be there.

and MDM, thanks for the kind works and the hyperlink tip...and yeah, i was kidding about hacking up the painting.

alohas,

t

Hey Bigtoe! Just sent you a PM!

Howdy BT,Man!!!!!! I dig your stuff and the only thing
Kooler is that I managed to do me a trade for MISS FORTUNE
for one of my tiki's.AARRH!.Watango

B

On 2009-04-28 03:25, Watango productions wrote:
Howdy BT,Man!!!!!! I dig your stuff and the only thing
Kooler is that I managed to do me a trade for MISS FORTUNE
for one of my tiki's.AARRH!.Watango

Right on Mr. Watango! where r u???

in case ur interested, the inspiration for her was an English Pin-up girl named "Reina Terror".

look forward to checking out ur tikis!!!

alohas, toesy

Thanks for sharing all that lovely work you did since the Kona Art Show...
months ago!

your generosity is unequalled.....
:(

swordfish is AWWEESSOOMMMEEE! the toe does it again

T

I like the Farm Girl.

That's freaking awesome!

Aloha BT,Thanks for the info about the paint'n,Im in
Melbourne Aus and scored my funky pirate girl from kustomlane
gallery where I've been eye'n off another peice of your's
with Big Daddy as the western exterminator about to make a puddle
out of mickey mouse and thats got to make RF's little heart swell
with pride.Cant wait to see more.Cheers Watango

B

On 2009-05-10 15:38, BigToe wrote:
a big MAhalo to all the tiki peeps who came out to represent at California Screamin' 4!!

here is the painting i have in the show:

"Barrels or Bust", 17 X 23", Acrylic on Driftwood. i painted on bare wood and finished with satin varnish to retain an earthy finish on this one.
The lil surf chick was inspired by model Elizabeth Ashley: http://www.myspace.com/elizabethiszesty

It would be cool if the name of the surf spot was painted somewhere on it though.....you know....to give it a location to match the name :wink:

shut up Dave....
never a nice thing to say,Eeyore..
without a sign
it can be anywhere!

ain't that the "TikiRunner"?
When did they give him a driver's license?

love the colors on this one!

Have you ever posted the "Creature of the Black Lagoon" piece i saw at the Nooner?
friggin rad...

B

thanks David...go ahead and publish my foibles for the world to see! What Big D is referring to is the fact that i was going to put "Barrels or Bust" on the side of the woody...and only realized that i forgot to do that at the opening...tee hee.

and D, Great to see u at the opening with ur sundry ancestry.

a lot of peeps were raving about ur painting.

thanks Kinny. not sure if i should 'the creature' here as this is a TIKI site...i'm not Clysdale for cryin out loud!

B

Killa work Toe!

That Woody, in the Woody, needs a Woody :)

B

My German pals Thom and Tina did a lil profile on me in their peerless European Hotrod rag "Smokin' Shutdown"...in German AND English no less!

The issue also has profiles on some mind-blowing Kustom rides from all over the place. buy the issue here: http://www.flyingpiston.de/xtcommerce/

here's a preview:

thanks for stoppin by! t

Glückwunsch-große Zehe! you' Rekönig der Schweine!

Very Cool BigToe! Rad piece on ya.
Toezilla! Conquering the world.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 250 replies