Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKI INVASION II, Saturday May 3rd 2008 - Mission Tiki Drive-In Theatre

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 240 replies

'
'Vid posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2008 3:02 AM

It's back!
TIKI-INVASION II is Saturday May 3rd, 2008!

Mission Tiki Drive-In Theatre
4407 State Street
Montclair, CA 91763 (near Pomona)
Gates at noon, 1st band at 1:00! Movies at dark!

BANDS, GIANT HOT ROD CAR SHOW, VENDORS and SPECIAL GUESTS all day! CULT CLASSIC and "B" MOVIES on the drive-in screens at dark!

Here's some what you can expect...

Bands!
Agent Orange, Unknown Hinson, Deke Dickerson,
The Woggles, The Ghastly Ones,

The Burmese Crush,
and The Del Reys on the BIG KAHUNA stage. The Martini Kings,
The Tikiyaki Orchestra and The Lonesome Spurs
on the SHADY LANAI.

Car Show: Bigger and better than ever! Vrooom! Enter your 1967 or earlier automobile
in our car show and receive a goody bag chock full of cool stuff including snack bar freebies!

Movies! THREE great B movie/cult classic titles to thrill and chill you!
Plus scads of vintage movie trailers and retro snack bar snippets!
DEATH RACE 2000!
ZOMBIE!
INVASION OF THE BEE GIRLS!

Special Guests and Burlesque! We've got Miss Bonnie Delight's Burlesque Revue,
King Kukulele and OFFICIAL INVASION EMCEE JET POWERS to amuse and entertain you!

Shop till you drop! We'll have dozens of vendors with the coolest merch! Shop for clothing and accessories, jewelery, tiki, hip and monster art, movie posters and memorabilia, car kitsch plus much more!

Vendors: New and improved vendor area right in the heart of the action! Apps will be available online at missiontiki.com very soon! Spaces are just $75 for the day. Don't forget to ask about placing an ad in our Tiki-Invasion II event guide, just $50 for a full page and $25 for a half page!

Single price admission of just $22 for adults, kids $5. Tots three and under are free.

Tickets available NOW at http://www.ticketalternative.com or at the gate day of show.

BE THERE! Thanks!

[ Edited by: 'Vid 2008-03-16 19:42 ]

T

You Rawk, I cant wait.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2008 10:51 AM

GROG hope you have T-shirts with this printed on 'em.
Looking forward to it. It was a blast last time.

With a little luck I will be back from my shoot in Leipzig by then. The graphics for the poster are ace, love the colors!

Vid,
cool deal man,
I sent you a PM.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TIKI INVASION ROCKS!
the martini kings performed at the last one which was a total blast!
everything that you could possibly want all in one place!
we look forward to playing there again this year.

C

I hope to be there with my hot rod this year. I have warned the local Mustang Club that it is coming up and put it on our event calendar.

-Secretary Mustang Club of San Diego :)

'
'Vid posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2008 6:42 PM

Very cool! I'll have my Montreaux Blue '67 GTO wagon there, hard to miss that one, LOL.

C

On 2008-02-01 10:51, GROG wrote:
GROG hope you have T-shirts with this printed on 'em.
Looking forward to it. It was a blast last time.

Yea yea! with glow in the dark ink on a black t-shirt or dark turtle neck!
Really cool design for the gig.

Wish I could make it again...HAVE FUN!

Chongolio

P
pdrake posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2008 9:53 PM

maybe i can talk someone into letting me bring a vintage shelby.

Cool Tee 'Vid, you know I'll be there!

UB

TD
That looks like the get away car for Bonnie and Clyde.

Yes, t shirt .

'
'Vid posted on Sat, Feb 2, 2008 8:31 PM

Awesome pic Danny!

Glad everybody likes the 50th Anniversary T, wait till you see this years!

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Feb 2, 2008 8:49 PM

Would make a great poster and I would take one

'
'Vid posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2008 12:20 PM

Now added to the musical lineup, THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA! They will be performing on the Lanai prior to THE MARTINI KINGS. As you may recall from the last Tiki-Invasion, the lanai is on the back side of the patio and it's a stellar place to grab some shade, have a seat, rest your feet and listen to the soothing sounds of exotica.

TL

I was so bummed to have missed last year's event. I GOTTA go to da 50th!! :)

'
'Vid posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2008 7:28 PM

Actually, Aug 5th 2006 was the 50th Anniversary and the 1st Tiki-Invasion. This will be the um, 52th, ah, 52rd... 52st.

The T-shirt illustration of the "spaceman tiki" was actually the T shirt from the 1st Tiki-Invasion. It sold out quickly. We'll print more of those PLUS have this year's edition available at Tiki-Invasion II. This year's is also quite incredible. I'll be unveiling this year's T next week.

Best,
'Vid

Wish I could be there, but a tee and print would be the next best thing... Let us know how we can get some.

'
'Vid posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 6:51 PM

We're working on the film lineup as we speak. Any suggestions/requests? A lot of our favorites are so hard to find on 35mm, but we're going to find three amazing films for this shindig. Share your thoughts with us.

T

"American Graffitti" , "Day of the Lepids ","Texas Chainsaw Massacre " (The Original) , "Scanners" , "Attack of the 50 ft. Woman" and with "Tex Avery " cartoons for intermission (Chilly Willy , Woody Woodpecker , Droopy Dog , etc. ). Thats my input .

Blue Hawaii or Bird of Paradise

Of course any Russ Meyer film would be titilating.

H

I vote for
"The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057181/

trailer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057181/trailers-screenplay-E20854-310

Vid,
can you please make sure you do XXL shirts for us big guys.
thanks
Jeff(bigtikidude)

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2008 11:39 AM

American Graffiti is such a great drive-in flick. I saw it 8 times in a row when it came out in '73, and I was all of 14 years old. Would also love to show The Van, another great drive-in flick.

I'd love to show 50 ft Woman if I could find a print.

We're searching for a title perfect for the Tiki Theme too. I own a print of Frankenstein Island starring Michael Carradine, it does have a bit of that tropics vibe and it's known as the film "with the most poorly presented Frankenstein monster ever".

Jeff, I'll run plenty of XL's, 2XL's, 3XL's and even some 4X, in both designs. We'll have the 50th Anniversary from the last event, plus this year's Tiki-Invasion design as well as Atlanta's Drive-Invasion '07 t-shirt.

The gears are really starting to roll and we're all going nuts with excitement!

Send me more movie ideas! These are great!

T

I vote for some Hawaii Five-O and the Brady Bunch Hawaii trilogy somewhere in the mix...

T

I cant tell you how many times I hopped the fence at the Picwick drive in Theatre in Burbank to see American Graffitti and Smokey and the Bandit . Can we just hop the fence at your event or do we have to pay ?

T

On 2008-02-05 14:45, TIKI-RAY wrote:
I cant tell you how many times I hopped the fence at the Picwick drive in Theatre in Burbank to see American Graffitti and Smokey and the Bandit . Can we just hop the fence at your event or do we have to pay ?

It's no doubt the Pavilions now right ?

http://www.jbhs1967.com/burbanktheaters.htm

D

I vote "Blue Hawaii"

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2008 3:55 PM

"Bullitt"

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2008 9:24 PM

"Fence hoppers, and for that matter trunk stowaways, will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

LOL

I remember hopping the fence at the El Rancho Drive-In in Sparks, NV once back when I was a 15 year old hooligan.

FYI, The El Rancho is still around today, so if you're in Reno/Sparks, check it out.

I like the Smokey and The Bandit request. We recently did a Burt Reynolds night over at the Starlight in Atlanta, it was amazing. Smokey, Sharkey's Machine and White Lightning. Burt was great but Jerry Reed rules.

If you're into Smokey & The Bandit history, check out http://www.atlantatimemachine.com. Greg Germani has PAINSTAKINGLY re-photographed certain scenes from the movie (e.g. intersections, buildings, bridges, houses, etc) in a "then and now" format. It is incredible, but I'll warn you that you can easily kill an hour or more on this site, it's fascinating! He has done the same with hundreds of historical photos all over Atlanta. Every city should do what Greg has done for Atlanta. It's a real piece of history.

I think we had an issue trying to get Blue Hawaii for the last Tiki-Invasion, but I'll check it out. Great movie, it's soooooo Elvis, we'd LOVE to show that!

Keep the movie ideas coming! Good stuff!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2008 1:00 AM

Howabout:

A Ray Harryhausen film like JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, THE SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD, or SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER.

A Steve Reeves HERCULES film.

A Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western.

Or GROG's mom, Raquel in ONE MILLION YEARS B.C.

MT

On 2008-02-04 18:51, 'Vid wrote:
We're working on the film lineup as we speak. Any suggestions/requests? A lot of our favorites are so hard to find on 35mm, but we're going to find three amazing films for this shindig. Share your thoughts with us.

You should contact Will "The Thrill" Viharo. He runs the programming at the Parkway and Cerrito Speakeasy movie theaters up here in the Bay Area in Nor Cal, and he hosts a really cool B movie night once a month called Thrillville. He has a lot of cool and obscure prints, and might loan you one or two, or find a specific one from someone else, etc. He goes by the handle AquaZombie here on Tiki Central, and is good friends with Otto - in fact Will and Otto share a duplex apartment building. I think Will would be into helping you, he and his wife Monica drove down to the Tiki Invasion back in August 2006.

As for movies I'd like to see, the one's that Grog mentioned, including Jason and the Argonauts, and The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, would be cool - that sword fight against the skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts is amazing! Hercules is good too, I wish I could recommend Arnold Schwartennegger as Hercules, but that film is funny only because it is so terrible!!! Also Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, and The Amazing Colossal Man would be great too. Someone mentioned Russ Meyer - Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! would be fun! I'm a big fan of car films, so American Graffiti, Vanishing Point, and especially Two Lane Black Top would be awesome as well! So that's my two cents. Looking forward to this event, see you in May!

'
'Vid posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2008 10:58 AM

Grog and Maitai have good taste in film!!

We love Harryhausen too. And I can definitely get some. We did Sinbad and The Eye of the Tiger at the last Rock n' Roll Monster Bash (Starlight Drive-In Atlanta, June '07). Nothing like Harryhausen on a drive-in screen. I also own several Harryhausen movie trailers, which will be shown between the movies.

I'll give Will a holler, and I've got some other really cool film contacts as well.

Film selection can be agonizing, it's like asking someone what their three favorite songs are. Heck, we all have hundreds that we love, and it's tough to narrow it down to what you want to be the three perfect selections! All the while, I know I'm not going to make EVERYBODY happy, but I'll try to accomodate most.

Tough call but this is sooooo much fun.
'Vid

Should one not hope, since the title of the event is "TIKI Invasion", and not B-Movie-, Monster-, or Road Movie- Invasion, that there would be some classic South Seas movies that could be screened, like "His Majesty O'Keefe","Wake of the Red Witch", the Gaugin Bio-drama "The Moon and Sixpence"...or Elvis' "Blue Hawaii" ?

And what REALLY would fit well, maybe as an opening short, would be the nightclub scene from "I AM CUBA" !

...so you guys like Gladiator movies, huh?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-02-06 18:35 ]

TL

Harryhausen's the BEST! However, if you want to stick to a Tiki Theme, as Big Bro is correct to suggest, we should consider "Mysterious Island". I mean, come on; they're stuck on a South Seas Island and have to fight gigantic living Luau Food! And the terrible yet wonderful "From Hell It Came" would be a natural as well. And of course, Abbott & Costello's "Pardon My Sarong" would be perfect if you're considering throwing a comedy in there!

As much as I loved the tiki element, I found His Majesty O'Keefe to be terrible(and not in a good way). Great Rock N Roll Swindle, though not tiki, would be fun. I also nominate the Japanese B-movie classic, Matango. They're on an island and they even do a uke number-http://youtube.com/watch?v=C8mq29Tf9VI

Well in my opinion, if you wanna see "good" movies, go to the mall. But then again, I will not shoulder the economic responsibility of such an event as this, and the task of appealing to a broad variety of expectations and tastes. In the end, everybody just wants to "party", I guess.

I had fun at your Drive-In event at the 2002 Hukilau in Atlanta, you know what you're doing, keep up the good work.

H

On 2008-02-06 23:01, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well in my opinion, if you wanna see "good" movies, go to the mall. ...

Ha Ha! Exactly why I recommended "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057181/trailers-screenplay-E20854-310

Hey, Boyd Rice listed this as one of his favorite films! That has to count for some Tiki points, right?

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 2:13 AM

Well, if you insist upon some sort of Tiki-ish film, you could try RAPA NUI.

Or PAGAN ISLAND.

But, GROG will be at the screen showing the Harryhausen movie.

'
'Vid posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 9:59 AM

Wow, like I said, SOOOO many great movies. Not to worry, we will have at LEAST one good tiki film in there somewhere. I'm going to try hard to find a print of Blue Hawaii.

As you may recall, last Tiki-Invasion we showed Cobra Woman, Bug, and Hard Ticket to Hawaii. All three had tiki and island themes!

Might show another Maria Montez classic, since we did Cobra Woman last time maybe show White Savage (1943) this time around. Spectacular island scenery.

FYI, some of you met "Hard Ticket to Hawaii" producer Andy Sidaris and his wonderful wife Arlene at the last Tiki-Invasion. Unfortunately we lost Andy to cancer just 7 months later in March of 2007. Read more about his impressive life and career here: http://www.andysidaris.com/news.html

I like Gladiator movies a lot if they're by Harryhausen, and I'm not alone there! LOL When I was in high school I was in a band called The Argonauts, it lasted all of 3 weeks. hahahaha

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 11:17 AM

Was the lead singer named Jason?

'
'Vid posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2008 9:26 AM

LOL, alas, no... But he was a bit on the skeletal side!

D

How about "Goldfinger" or "Dr. No" and maybe some Bugs Bunny shorts thrown in for good measure? Just a thought

D

"Creatrue from the Black Lagoon","It Came From Outersapce","Forbidden Planet","Faster Pussycat Kill, Kill" and more recently "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra"

X-ept for the last one, those are all such B-movie standard, been-there/seen-that fare. Or is the idea that the shows are supposed to have a Rocky Horror-type repetition appeal?

'
'Vid posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2008 12:52 PM

I think I can get Creature from the Black Lagoon in the 3D version. I also have a large box full of 3d glasses back in Atlanta. How cool would that be?

I just did an inventory of my catalog of tiki/island related movie trailers. I have a bunch! Also lots of car and '60's pop culture stuff. Should be a great trailer show even if we all can't agree on the movies, hahahahha

And YES, I do have a very rare Bugs Bunny cartoon, among many others. Cartoons are fun but really I can only show one per night or people get bored with them. The trailers are better because they are short and keep the program moving along.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 240 replies