Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKI INVASION II, Saturday May 3rd 2008 - Mission Tiki Drive-In Theatre

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 240 replies

On 2008-05-12 12:19, Tiki Kiniki wrote:

On 2008-05-10 23:14, morbidboy wrote:
anyone catch the name or website of the booth with the wacky rockabilly girly high heels with brass knuckles?

I think they were called Switchblade Stilettos.

Why don't you just look at the receipt from that pair you bought :P

On 2008-05-15 14:18, Daves Not Home wrote:

On 2008-05-12 12:19, Tiki Kiniki wrote:

On 2008-05-10 23:14, morbidboy wrote:
anyone catch the name or website of the booth with the wacky rockabilly girly high heels with brass knuckles?

I think they were called Switchblade Stilettos.

Why don't you just look at the receipt from that pair you bought :P

OMG you're right but I left the gift receipt in the bag when I gave them to you! Be a dear and look it up for me!

O

Here Tiki Kiniki, in case Dave tossed it out.

There name is Sinnister Heels,www.sinnisterheels.com

Thanks Tiki Shop for clearing that up! I knew it was something close to what I posted. It sucks to have CRS at the tender age of 45. :blush:

Finally decided to load some pics.
The wife and i stoked to be there!

Wahine sandwich

Wahine manwich

Erika Bamboo

Now thats entertainment!

N

This is one of the best show's of the year and a awesome event with cool bands and bitchin hot rod's and custom's..I cant wait for next year's event and hopefully get a green light to serve rum drinks to the TC Ohana!! I had a great time and Here are a few pics from da show..

the man watching the rum

Hopefully my car will be done for next year's show.. we will see

'
'Vid posted on Fri, May 23, 2008 9:01 PM

aWeSoMe pics Mongoloid! Thanks for posting!
'Vid

Probably a bit late, but I'll post a couple of my pictures from the event as well. Can't wait for III.

A tad o' PhotoShop.

The Bobble Heads were cool (TikiG shown).

Crazy Al grooving to the Tikiyaki Orchestra.

Hmm, would these shoes go with my uniform?

So, is there a TI3 in the works for this year?

Not 100% sure,
but I heard no.

Jeff(btd)

T

Bummer...it was fun last year.

B

i demand TI3!!!!

Can we do that? If so, i agree! I went last year and had a great time. More, please!

If there is not a tiki drive in Event.
we should plan a night where a bunch of us TC people all go to the Movies.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hope it doesn't overlap with BooBen's Grand Opening!

hope what donest overlap, there is no event this year?

On 2009-01-27 07:58, little lost tiki wrote:
Hope it doesn't overlap with BooBen's Grand Opening!

That's what made me think of it, TI3 was the same weekend last year. But a tiki movie night sounds awesome!

I'm in for a movie night at the Mission Drive-in... uh, who's bringing the scantily clad performers?

RR

I think I remember hearing he was going to do them every other year.

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Feb 10, 2009 7:18 PM

Hey everybody!

I've haven't logged on to TC for so long! Too darn busy! Shame on me! LOL

Here's the latest, official update... There will be no Tiki-Invasion in 2009, alas. We were hoping to put one together but couldn't get our sponsorship deal done in time and I needed that for the green light from corporate.

I am busy planning Atlanta's Drive-Invasion for Labor Day weekend, September 5th and 6th! Stay tuned!

Thanks very much!

'Vid

:(

Jeff(btd)

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Feb 10, 2009 7:34 PM

I know, I know... :( me too

T

:( :(

Good hearing from you tho' Vid'....

'
'Vid posted on Thu, Feb 12, 2009 5:32 PM

Thanks! The next time I post I am sure it will be all good news!

Meanwhile at my other gig (running the Saddle Sore Saloon in Norco, CA) I booked a very hip country act for Feb 21st, The Derailers from Austin, TX. These guys are the real honky tonk country deal with a touch of early 60's pop sensibility, they are NOT the modern day commercial Nashville crap, and they KILL when they do a Buck Owens cover, of which there are a few. $5 cover, such a deal! It's Teri's birthday bash and I always book a great band for the event. Everyone come on out if you're in the mood for something different, get your Hee Haw on, LOL. By the way, we serve a great Mai Tai, I make sure of that. 16oz and $7.50 made from a secret recipe.

Speaking of Mai Tais, congrats to Notcho for his interview in the article "It's Tiki Time" in "The Tasting Panel" magazine. The mag is a bar industry trade publication, and the writer for the article is a guy named Camper English. The article quips about how rum based drinks are making "big waves again". Rum drinks making a comeback? Did they ever lose favor with the public? Anyway thanks to both those guys for helping to spread the word.

bummer on no invasion '09! I was really looking forward to it!
Also, putting in my 2cents--The Derailers are awesome! I lived in Austin for 5 years, and have seen them countless times--great old school country-and even a little beatles thrown in :)

'
'Vid posted on Fri, Feb 13, 2009 8:19 PM

Yeah, we are all really looking forward to The Derailers show on the 21st. In fact, Brian's mom is going to be here for the show, I talked to her on the phone for about an hour, what a nice old fashioned Texas lady, LOL This weekend for Valentine's we have Johnny Falstaff, another Texan that you may be familiar with?

AHHH!!!!! I just got my other car finished hoping for tiki invasion 09'

Post the pics of the car!

On 2009-02-13 20:19, 'Vid wrote:
This weekend for Valentine's we have Johnny Falstaff, another Texan that you may be familiar with?

I am familiar with him. Hell, I was at the Valentine's show.

Who wants to bring back the Invasion?!?!?!!?!? MEEEEEEEEE!

We would LOVE to see another Invasion happen too. Mind giving us a ride, DNH? :wink:

Me 3

Tiki drive in rules,
bring it back.

Jeff(btd)

I'll second that emotion....bring back the Invasion!

CJ

Joe Collins

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Feb 11, 2010 7:01 AM

I miss it too!

Vendors, live music, pop-movies, friends old and new...my idea of a great day.

cars,girls,tiki- what could be better than that vid?

I concur, most readily: bring back the TIKI INVASION.

H

I wish they would bring it back this year! The last one was a blast. Tiki Kings AND Tikiyaki....pleaseeeee bring it back!

Unknown Hinson!

Unknown Hinson!

and a puking Hanson.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

T

Yeah! Would love for the TIki Invasion to return!
Bands, vendors, a drive in movie?!?! What could be better?!?!

Vid, I'm sure your message box is full by now with requests ... people want to know.

TIKI INVASION 2010!!!

Let's do this!

I vote for fall, like late September or so,
spring would be good to, but I know it takes a long time to put big events together.

Jeff(btd)

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Mar 9, 2010 8:52 PM

I am thrilled to see such an outpouring of support for Tiki-Invasion!

Hey, I am right there with you, I say "bring it back" too. However, I no longer work for the drive-in movie company, so the massive duties of organizing that event will have to fall on somebody else's shoulders.

It was an honor organizing Tiki-Invasions 2006 and 2008... the fun and the memories generated from being so closely involved is an amazing experience! In 2008 I had virtually no help organizing the event, not complaining, it is a labor of love but it was exhausting and put me considerably behind in my normal daily responsibilities. I don't wish to go through that again. Believe me I look forward to another Tiki-Invasion, but I look forward to enjoying it from a patio chair with a TALL polynesian drink in my hand.

Every once in a while, I hear some music and catch myself thinking "Hey! That would be a perfect Tiki-Invasion band". Then I realize what I am doing and slap myself, hahahahhahaha.

All of your comments here on Tiki Central have been forwarded to Frank at DeAnza Land & Leisure (Frank works for DeAnza, the corporation that owns the Mission Tiki Drive-In), so he is well aware of the demand. Lets cross our fingers and hope they get something going!

Cheers, 'Vid

R

On 2008-05-02 22:05, atomikitty wrote:
Los Angeles and Hollywood Ohana!

It looks like I may be in need of a ride down to the tiki invasion!!!

My 62' Comet told me today that she's not up to it, and the ol' man's stuck in the dungeons of his stupid evil law firm all weekend! :(

Please spread the word, and e-mail me if you can help!

I will of course drive to your house or meeting point, and chip in for gas/food/fun.

MAHALO, and I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE to see you tomorrow!

-Suzy

Suzy- if u still need a ride... I'm your GAL!- Rose(red) :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 240 replies