Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKI INVASION II, Saturday May 3rd 2008 - Mission Tiki Drive-In Theatre

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 240 replies

T

On 2008-05-02 22:05, atomikitty wrote:
Los Angeles and Hollywood Ohana!

It looks like I may be in need of a ride down to the tiki invasion!!!

My 62' Comet told me today that she's not up to it, and the ol' man's stuck in the dungeons of his stupid evil law firm all weekend! :(

Please spread the word, and e-mail me if you can help!

I will of course drive to your house or meeting point, and chip in for gas/food/fun.

MAHALO, and I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE to see you tomorrow!

-Suzy

Dang, Suzy, I hope you find a ride. Me and Marty Lush have a van full o' Orchestra gear, otherwise I'd offer.

Hope I see you there.

Great event, great location! The Ghastly Ones were great, Tony and the Martini Kings were excellent as always, and I finally got to see Agent Orange play "Bloodstains" live! Only bad part was that this is the SECOND time in a month that I've missed the Tikiyaki Orchestra :( Thanks for putting the whole thing together 'Vid!

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 4, 2008 12:27 PM

DID ya'll see CRAZY AL's new mug he debuted there?!!! Holy crap! What an incredible mug!!

Good seeing everybody there that GROG run into.

Death Race 2000 was fun. GROG never see that before.

That's it just 4 pictures?

Who were the mystery vendors?

I want answers!

Here are some photos that I took, It was a great show.It was nice to see a fellow carver that I have never met before Tiki Ray.I cant wait for next year.To everyone that bought those tikis enjoy them.
Hey Dusty thanks for hooking us up with with some stage time for the tikis, that was awesome.

This was a super event. I'm glad we went.
Don't know how many of you I may have met in person, but we met and chatted with a lot of great people. Mike will have to cast his butt off all week so we have enough stuff to take to Palm Springs next weekend - we actually sold out a couple of items and depleted a lot of our stock.
And of course it was cool to see (well, more like hear since I couldn't go too far from our booth) The Ghastly Ones, Agent Orange, Martini Kings, and all the other bands. Hope Mission Tiki will do the Tiki Invasion event again next year.
Terra
(Also another huge MAHALO to Bosko and The Guy In The White Shirt for preventing our canopy from flying away, and to Tiki Diablo Stephanie for helping me deal with the aftermath.)

M

Tiki invasion was good times! Did you see that booth selling the stilettos with handcuffs for heels? Tikiyaki, Martini Kings, Crazy Al, Hot Rods, Burlesque, Go-Go dancers, booze (i had my own cooler stocked) Bosko, and the carvings at the shady lanai were unreal, they did that place up right. Good combo of greasers and tiki geeks. (im in the geeky category just like you pal) Aloha Nui Loa

T

On 2008-05-05 07:41, Mongoloid wrote:
Tiki invasion was good times! Did you see that booth selling the stilettos with handcuffs for heels? Tikiyaki, Martini Kings, Crazy Al, Hot Rods, Burlesque, Go-Go dancers, booze (i had my own cooler stocked) Bosko, and the carvings at the shady lanai were unreal, they did that place up right. Good combo of greasers and tiki geeks. (im in the geeky category just like you pal) Aloha Nui Loa

Oy Vey, the girls in that booth....How do we get them to more Tiki Events ?

T

By the Way....

Thanx Vid for a great event.

We had a great time at the Tiki Invasion.

Tiki Diablo....FANTASTIC work you've done on the place....We took lots of photos of the Orchestra in front of your work....

Great Stuff.

I think we may have lured a few Hot Rodder/Rockabilly cats over to the dark side of Exotica.

CA

one word...

Di-Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..Blo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is a 'Blow' reference in there some where, but the only blowing this guy does is 'Blowing away the Competition!! Three some odd years and the place is f'n Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great work for future Urban Archaeologists!! to discover.

Hot fun once again...Great Time!
Front Row again! for the exotica stage!!!
A.Orange and D.R.2000!!... pur'tie damn good

T

C' Al....nice bird calls, and coconut playin'.

Be sure to jump again at the next gig (Yes, that includes Hukilau!)

C

Had a awesome time and next year will be better prepared. We got there too early (9:30am, I thought it started at 10!!!), and we had to leave at 3 for a family thing. Next year we will stay for the whole thing since we hated having to leave!

I took a few pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catmomma/sets/72157604894248910/

S

Will have to post our photos later...we're still recovering from too much tiki! This being our first year at the Invasion, we were WOEFULLY unprepared. Now we know to bring our party tent and chairs and a MUCH BIGGER ICECHEST as well as a Smokey Joe (is BBQing allowed?).

We had a truly great time, tho and the bands were awesome. Seeing Unknown Hinson and Agent Orange were both a real treat and Boyfriend and I are pretty sure that, if we ever get married (hint hint), we want the Tikiyaki Orchestra to be our wedding band.

T

LOL...MY whole (rock n' roll)life, I've always thought that being in a wedding band would be the equivalent of dying and going to Musician Hell...But with this band, I have a totally different perspective....

But....Tiki Weddings...bring it on !!!

wow what a day,
I remember the first 2 hours and the last 4.
but where did 2 pm to 6 pm go?

tikiyaki was even better than at the tiki farm event.

I heard Ghastly Ones, and Deke Dickerson, but unfortunately.
I could not stand to watch them.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

by the way I was really disappointed that alot of the old time TC people were not there.
not a snooty enough of an event?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-05-05 14:47, bigtikidude wrote:
wow what a day,
I remember the first 2 hours and the last 4.
but where did 2 pm to 6 pm go?

tikiyaki was even better than at the tiki farm event.

I heard Ghastly Ones, and Deke Dickerson, but unfortunately.
I could not stand to watch them.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

You mean you had something other than soda in your plastic Mission Tiki mug? And under the watchful eye of the Montclair Police too :D

T

The bigger the tiki (dude), the harder the tiki fall .

S

On 2008-05-05 14:38, tikiyaki wrote:
LOL...MY whole (rock n' roll)life, I've always thought that being in a wedding band would be the equivalent of dying and going to Musician Hell...But with this band, I have a totally different perspective....

But....Tiki Weddings...bring it on !!!

yeah, I didn't want to necessarily relegate you guys to that...and just so you know, it wouldn't be a standard affair (neither Boyfriend nor I are the "big white wedding" sort). It was your rendition of "Sleepwalk" that sent us over the threshold (so to speak), since it's the song I've always wanted as my "first dance."

We both looked at each other and said "Tikiyaki Orchestra as our band, yes!"
We promise that, if it ever happens, it will be a kickass affair (and the band will be supplied with much drinkage).

T

The Tikiyaki Orchestra : Available for Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs and retirement parties....

photo by Marie King

Leisure World, here we come !

Confuscious say "Man who run in front of car, get tired"

SK

My first tiki invasion and boy did it exceed my expectation. I made a weekend out of it, and it was perfect.

I took off work Friday to get an early start on the weekend. I got a surf in that morning and it was GOOOOD. 2-4 foot, CLEAN and no sharks! Sweet baby Lou, this was a sign.

Let the weekend begin!!!!!
Why go half way? I’m making the rounds this weekend. I HAD a few brain cells that were getting way too cocky and besides, I gotta get in shape for tiki oasis 8. It’s never too early to train.

Got outa san diego around 1pm, first stop El Segundo. Hit the Purple Orchid and had
a tasty mai tai out of a scorpion bowl with my wife. Ahhhh, just what I needed to get into the state of mind required for the upcoming weekend.

No time to get comfy, time for stop II.

Ambiance was spot on
Service… good
Food…. somewhat edible
mai tai…, pee u
mug….. way cool.

This was my first time to the Bahaooka and I was impressed with how cool the place is, fur sure!

Sofa King in his native habitat

We are hitting all we can this weekend, now for stop III.

OOGA MOOGA!!!

That’s right, I had to make my pilgrimage. Getting on my knees, facing north and bowing to my mecca was no longer good enough. This was another first for me. I saw the light, and it was good.

My wife and scored a seat at the bar and met Maui Mike from Maui. He is a close personal friend with the owners and gets full VIP treatment in the Tiki Ti when visiting from his paradise. We talked and told him how we got engaged at Mamma Fish House on Maui. We got his contact info and will be looking him up the next time we are over there.

After a mai tai, a Ray’s mistake, and one 45 dollar parking ticket, my wife drove us to the hotel.

We got to mission tiki around 12 noon. I was in heaven, cars, tiki, KILLER live music, B movies,…..Game Over!

Like many have already mentioned, Tikiyaki Orchestra were on it! Honestly, all the bands were exceptional as many others have already stated. It was great to see the Woggles tear it up again, and I could listen to the Martini Kings for days. For my personal taste, the Del Reys took top honors.

Form meets Function

By the way, I believe that was John Goodman fresh off the set of Big Lebowski II playing drums for the Unknown Hinson.

“DONNIE, your out of your element!,…. Dude, Am I wrong?! Am I wrong?!”

And all was good in Sofa King’s world.

[ Edited by: sofa king 2008-05-06 10:37 ]

Tikiyaki - You could also market the Sushi all you can eat lunch hour!

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2008-05-06 10:25 ]

wow sofa king, quite the weekend, thats cool.!!!
congrats.

let me give a try at this.
Thurs nite went to Alex's bar in LB to see VooDuo and the UglyBeats.
Fri. nite. The Flying bridge in Oceanside for Tiki Night with 3 of the 4 hours of Superwave playing.
Sat. morning, had to clean 3 more pools I didnt do Fri. because my bathing suit ripped on the seam, and didnt want to expose myself at my customers expense.
Got to tiki drive in at 11:30. proceeded to get extremly drunk, enjoyed
Tikiyaki immensely. then went and passed out under the trees by the big stage,
could hear the bands, but was bummed I was not able to watch. it was only 8 ounces of RUM, wtf??? haha. became coherent enough to go see some of Martini Kings thankfully, then saw Agent Orange. then got ready for the movies.
no, no more rum, it got cold, dressed warmer, but was still chilly,
about 20 min or so into Zombie we left. We is Ran(kick the reverb) and Jonpaul of tikiyaki/tikimag. they both crashed in my tiki room at my house.
Next morning. Ran had to get up at 6 am to get back to San Diego, JP and I did Breakfast at Kinda Lahina in Seal Beach(mmmmm portugeeese sausage)back home
2 hour nap, then went to my Ex Brother in Laws house, and we bought some of his tiki mugs, then to TV's lounge in BH. He had rehersal for tikiyaki, so I dropped him off, I went home and took another 3 hour nap.
Monday I vegged all day recouperating.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

S

Sofa King:
I lived 4 blocks from Tiki Ti for 5 years -- just moved recently. I spent many a hazy evening there for sure (since I could walk/stumble/crawl home).

Just moved to the 'Gundo in March and now enjoy the libations from the Purple Orchid (where I can also walk/bike/be carried home). We fondly call it the "P.O."

Boyfriend took me to Bahooka for the first time back in January. We LOVED it, but thought the food was sort of GROSS. Just go for the drinks, I say.

I'm off to Chicago in June and will be hitting the Hala Kahiki for sure. Expanding my stumbling...

And GREAT call on the Unknown Hinson drummer. Perfect.

'
'Vid posted on Tue, May 6, 2008 2:37 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..

Wake me up in two weeks.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

SK

Bigtikidude,
I think your weekend wins over mine. You fit in more music than I did. I like your style, charging it like that. I think you and I may live by the
same creed. It goes like this...”Because I Can!”
I think your pace would have lapped me this past weekend. I must train harder, you pace would have worked me for sure.
Keep up the good work for us sinners out here.

Spycygirl,
I see you locate yourself conveniently/ dangerously close to fine tiki establishments. You have great taste, I like that kind of commitment!
I really enjoyed both of those bars SofaKing much!
I have the good fortune to live within stumbling distance from the Bali Hai. Well actually, driving or biking is preferred but walking is totally doable and often done. Have fun in the windy city!

Sofa King,

[ Edited by: Sofa King 2008-05-06 15:20 ]

[ Edited by: Sofa King 2008-05-06 15:21 ]

O

Caught the last few hours of daylight for Tiki Invasion, great looking place you designed Danny, awesome job!
The Mission Tiki keeps getting better and better. What a great place for all the great musicians, artists, cars, and people. Good space to be in. Good seeing many of you.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-05-06 19:00 ]

Ojaitimo,
Thank you for not getting a pic of me passed out over by the Fence.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Red Eye
LAX
Mission Tiki
Building "Goodie Bags"
Hanging Menu Boards with Tiki Diablo
Not eating at the Tam O'Shanter
Michelli's
Getting RVs
Finances
Tiki Ti
Tiki Ti
Tiki Ti
Norco
The Saddle Sore
Flinstone's Swingers Retreat
Damn Canopies
The RV's shithouse is dripping
Beer
Brown Liquor
Suck Em Up shirt
Hillbilly Helmet
Beer
Bands of some sort
Beer in Styrofoam cup
Beer in Styrofoam cup with Diablo
Beer in Styrofoam cup with Diablo chased with Hot Dogs
Zombi fights Shark
Girl gets splinter in Eye
Beer in Styrofoam cup with Diablo and Nacho
Beer
Brown Liquor
Goodnight
Tear down that Stage
Pann's
LAX
Home.

Whadda you do this weekend?

Out,
Laffo

H

On 2008-05-06 22:40, Uncle Laffo wrote:

Girl gets splinter in Eye

Okay... you have to tell us more about this chapter. Did someone get to use tweezers? Was there a lot of screaming?
:o

Watch the film "Zombie" or in the Italian, like it was meant to be appreciated, "Zombi," you'll see, cause she doesn't anymore.
Laffo

[ Edited by: Uncle Laffo 2008-05-06 23:14 ]

H

Oh, the movie, of course. I am simultaneously sadly disappointed and happily relieved.

In anycase, to satisfy anyone's itch, here's a famous eye shot from another film.

T

What!
No corndogs Laffo?

'
'Vid posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 12:16 PM

Not to forget horny women making a strange buzzing sound...

Laffo, glad you had a good time. Thanks for all your help, the Invasion was a far more enjoyable event with you around.

Now get some REST! LOL

hey vid,
you sure know how to throw a tiki bash! it was a real blast.
mahalo from the martini kings and thew del reys!
now go get some rest!
tony

Great job AGAIN 'Vid. Tiki Invasion II was even better than the first!

And Tiki Diablo, Danny my man, phenomenal job with the Drive In decor!

And that scene in Zombie with the splinter in the eye was AWESOME! The topless scuba diving was all right too. :wink:

Just pulling in-

Here's where we set up-

Tiki Diablo's coupe, my sedan, our friends Mandy and Chris's '62 Fairlane, and the Tiki Ray mobile-

The Model A's-

Hilary and I at the snack shop in front of a couple Tiki Diablo carvings-

The ladies-

Screwing around-

The guys-

Hilary and Mandy with the King-

The Del Reys-

Deke Dickerson, one of my all time favorite entertainers!

Dance Wally Dance!

Unknown Hinson-

Amazing work by Tiki Diablo!

Cool '59 Buick-

Almost show time!

Man, Tiki Invasion II was awesome! There was alot of cars and it was fun to take part in judging. I was very surprised to win Best Classic Car.

Does anyone else know which cars won:
Best Engine
Best Interior
Best Tiki Themed car
Best Hot Rod
Best car to take to the Drive-in

The one won Best in Show:

Really nice. Here's some more pics:

This was one of my favs:

Oh and then there was Bonnie:

Going...

GOING...

GONE!

I got tons more pics at: http://www.myspace.com/morbidboy

'
'Vid posted on Thu, May 8, 2008 6:45 PM

Does anyone else know which cars won:
Best Engine
Best Interior
Best Tiki Themed car
Best Hot Rod
Best car to take to the Drive-in

Sure do!

Best Tiki Themed was that crazy Van, just awesome. A Luau on wheels!

Best engine is that black 3 window coupe in your photos above (with the Clay Smith cigar smoking woodpecker/thrush decal on the rocker panel).

Best Interior was a black Plymouth with a sparkle blue roof. had a white interior and blue piping on the seats.

Best car to take to the drive-in is that big satin yellow merc in your photos above (the one with bondo on the grille area). I am confused why this car won such an honor since it had a ratty, cramped interior and NO BACK SEAT!! LOL Ah well!

Best Traditional Hot Rod was that wonderful purple coupe with white stripes and lime green accents.

Last but certainly not least, after further review votes have been recalculated and Best of Show now goes unanimously to Bonnie Delight!!!! Wowwee!!! hahahahahahahaha

Alas, no Corndogs. There would be too many folks who would say they "Weren't Tiki enough." Even the Bananas Foster Corndog. It's also kinda hard to check "Pallookaville One" as carry on baggage.

This would have won "Best in Show."
Laffo

'
'Vid posted on Sat, May 10, 2008 1:19 AM

I get hungry just looking at Palookaville. Maybe we can construct a tiki themed corndog wagon for for the next Tiki-Invasion... call them Tohunga Dogs or something?!

Someone should come up with a tiki mold/waffle iron type device for Laffo to make tiki shaped corndogs for Palookaville @ Mission Tiki...
Jet Powers we need a top secret covert operation to airlift Palookaville I to California for the next Tiki Invasion....

'
'Vid posted on Sat, May 10, 2008 12:16 PM

LOL! We should make that happen. How can we BEGIN to have an event without a good corndog?!?!?! Maybe Moai shaped corndogs? Perhaps a corndog with a hula skirt and a tiny drink umbrella stuck in it? Maybe a rum based batter mixed with fresh coconut/pineapple/mango puree'?

Speaking of coconut and pineapple, next year I think we should have tropical flavored jello shoooters, a stealth mode to get our drink on and not worry about open containers.

Right now I'm still so exhausted that those two simple words "next year" don't even register in my brain, LOL

Coming up FAST we've got these other GREAT drive-in events happening:
Rock n' Roll Monster Bash at the Starlight in Atlanta June 1st
Drive-Invasion '08 at the Starlight on August 30 & 31
MONSTERAMA on Sunday October 26th at Mission Tiki

T

Vid...you got a great place there, I Love it !

Any chances of you building a big ole Tiki restaurant on the premises, like the Kahiki or Mai Kai ? :) Ha, I know,, wishful thinking...it's just that you have so much space, and the Tiki-ness is already in place....

That'd be neat !

'
'Vid posted on Sat, May 10, 2008 6:10 PM

We have toyed with the idea to make the Sailwell Tire building into a tiki themed restaurant and bar, that building is on the MTDI property but to the right of the box office 'huts' as you pull into the driveway (corner of State and Ramona). It's an old tire store but it already has the weathered tin roof and funky design that would make for an easy Tiki restuarnat transformation. When his lease is up we'll have to make a decision about that!

Meanwhile enjoy the top quality food and snacks from our snack bar!

California can't handle my Corndogs. I'd have to have a Defibrillator on the side of the Wagon. I think there's only a two block radius around Pink's that would get the Pallookaville. Next year I'm just gunna give myself Rum Enemas in the RV. How's that for an open container? Bet they wouldn't ask me to pour THAT out.
Laffo

anyone catch the name or website of the booth with the wacky rockabilly girly high heels with brass knuckles?

On 2008-05-10 23:14, morbidboy wrote:
anyone catch the name or website of the booth with the wacky rockabilly girly high heels with brass knuckles?

I think they were called Switchblade Stilettos.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 240 replies