Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKI INVASION II, Saturday May 3rd 2008 - Mission Tiki Drive-In Theatre

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 240 replies

Jab, I should fly too.....from Costa Mesa...... Probably still cheaper than driving my '62 there. What a crime.........
Great line up. Gonna be one hell of a show.

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Apr 22, 2008 5:35 PM

We're just 10 days away!

Tiki-Invasion II is closing in fast! Visit http://www.tikiinvasion.com for all the details!

Tickets will be available at the gate but we strongly encourage advance tickets to help expedite the admission process. Visit http://www.ticketalternative.com for online tix. $22 adults, $5 for kiddos 12 to 4 and tiny tots under 3 are FREE.

Vendor space will be available at the gate, please fill out an application PRIOR to arriving, and bring $75 in cash or check. We will assign your vendor space when you arrive. Apps are available online at http://www.tikiinvasion.com

Thanks and we'll see you there!

aloha fellow tiki enthusiasts!
the martini kings will debut our 10th cd at tiki invasion on may 3rd called "show of stars"(a brief and excursion into the exciting world of surf music)
grab a copy at the drive in!
we play from 5:30 till 8:30 just outside the snack bar.
mahalo!!!
tell em' tony sent ya!

surf music,??? pashaw
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Looking forward to seeing you guys again.

Put myself and Kim on the list!

We'll actually be vending. So stop by and say "HI!". Or in LLT's case "HIGH!"

T

Tikiyaki Orchestra will be there, entertaining the troops from 12:00 to 3:00

See you all there !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ohVDlxx3cM

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-04-23 14:30 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-04-23 15:26 ]

5 more days!

Aloha, is anyone else going to the Tiki Invasion? Last year was pretty fun and I hear this time around Tiki Diablo may actually get there, earlier.

We are planning on attending and I was going to bring odd ball pieces (that we can't sell on the website) out of the shop which we'll give you a great deal on. We have a bunch of custom bar pieces, top beams, moldings, that have slight imperfections. If there is anything you are after drop us a line, if we have it we'll bring it along, you are under no obligation to buy.
We are also cleaning out our storage and we're going to bring some vintage stuff (not just Tiki)if anybody is into that kind of thing.
Stop by and say hello.

Bosko

Yeah I really hope that some more TC people show up for this,
its an all around great day of shopping, drinking, bands, movies, and
most importantly Friends!!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

So, we're going, it will be our first year. But I have questions...first off, do you get to drive your car all the way in to watch the movies? And if so, can we bring a cooler full of tropical rum based libations? What about dogs? Oh yeah, and if this past weekend was any indicator...BRING SUNSCREEN AND WATER! It gets hot as crap out in the Inland Empire. Thanks!

On 2008-04-28 11:46, TIKIBOSKO wrote:
Aloha, is anyone else going to the Tiki Invasion? Last year was pretty fun and I hear this time around Tiki Diablo may actually get there, earlier.

We are planning on attending and I was going to bring odd ball pieces (that we can't sell on the website) out of the shop which we'll give you a great deal on. We have a bunch of custom bar pieces, top beams, moldings, that have slight imperfections. If there is anything you are after drop us a line, if we have it we'll bring it along, you are under no obligation to buy.
We are also cleaning out our storage and we're going to bring some vintage stuff (not just Tiki)if anybody is into that kind of thing.
Stop by and say hello.

Bosko

Bosko, will you be bringing any of your cool redwood masks that you sell on the site, like the HanoHano,Le'a, or Malu ?

I am still planning on coming and participating in the HotRod show.
Come look for us out there! I only plan on being there from the start till the mid afternoon because I can't handle the heat long and my niece is having a baby I need to go welcome into the family that evening.

Look for Christine:

Ben and I should be close by :)

-Cheri aka Catmomma

The Tiki Shop will be there as well as Tiki Stan and his carvings!

On 2008-04-28 12:21, Jason Wickedly wrote:
So, we're going, it will be our first year. But I have questions...first off, do you get to drive your car all the way in to watch the movies? And if so, can we bring a cooler full of tropical rum based libations? What about dogs? Oh yeah, and if this past weekend was any indicator...BRING SUNSCREEN AND WATER! It gets hot as crap out in the Inland Empire. Thanks!

Yes, you get to pull your car all the way in so you can watch movies later; there's also priority parking for hot rods/kustom cars. As for coolers & libations, yes. Or least you could last time. The only thing I'm not sure about is pets.

Who's bringing the grill??????

And don't forget to stop by and say hi to Kim and I in the Badland Beads booth. Mention TC for a discount

C

there's also priority parking for hot rods/kustom cars.

Will I be able to leave early if I am in the car show part? I can't stay past like 2-3 pm.

B

Looking forward to my first Tiki Invasion. I will not be able to get there until 6 - 6:30pm. Will the vendors and car show still be happening at that time? If not, it's all about Agent Orange and da flix!

So stoked on this! Bringing a car load full o kids and friends. This will be my kids first drive in. A wrong that is long past due to be righted! Music, tikis, and B movies on the big screen... I think I just peed myself just pondering it.
My only question is how the sound is set up for the movies. Speaker box? FM radio tuner? Anywhere for someone to pitch a beach chair and still get to hear the soundtrack?
I'll be the one with the lime green inflatable sofa pitched in front of my car.
TC ohana welcome!

car radio or a boom box if you dont want to drain yer car battery.

last one we set up a bunch of beach chairs and set a boom box on a ice chest infront of us.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

N
NOTCH posted on Tue, Apr 29, 2008 9:53 AM

See ya guys there!!

Invasion in 5 Days !

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Apr 29, 2008 4:53 PM

Things to bring!

Most important not to forget these items!

Sunscreen, hats, folding lawn chairs, coolers with water, soda and ice, a change of shirt (or buy a new TIKI-INVASION II T shirt!) and a boom box radio with fresh batteries for the movie sound (which tunes in on FM radio). Canopies for shade are great, just weight down the legs with something heavy (gallon jugs of water or sand, barbell plates, cinder blocks) so they don't blow away in the wind and damage someone's head or someone's classic car, and take them down BEFORE the movies start.

Strange as this sounds, a light jacket or blanket is not a bad idea as it can get cool in the late evening at the drive-in. Cameras are permitted.

Bring cash too, we do not accept credit cards but we do have an ATM located inside the snack bar. Remember, if you are buying tickets at the gate they are cash only.

For movie watching, we recommed a "tailgate" style setup with lawnchairs, a blanket, rug or tarp to lay down on the ground and make things cozy, FM radio boom box for the movie sound and a cooler.

And bring ALL your friends who like to have a GREAT time!!

IF YOU ARE BRINGING LIBATIONS:
Please put your favorite libations is DISCREET CONTAINERS such a coke cups, sports bottles, travel mugs, or our plastic tiki mug available at the snack bar. We can not permit open beer cans, beer bottles, or any obvious alcohol container, which may include tiki mugs. We will have a limited amount of soda cups and lids available FREE of CHARGE for this purpose. We apologize for this necessity but keep reading.

The Montclair police will be present for our security which is a very GOOD thing, and even though we are on private property it is a public event which means no open containers allowed. Treat this event exactly like you would a day at the beach or the park. Be cool about drinking alcohol and the security will be cool towards you. If you doctor your soda pop up with something good, be discreet about pouring it and carrying it and everything will be perfectly fine.

Things NOT to bring:

Pets. Alas, Fido will not be very happy on hot asphalt all day and listening to loud music. Besides, we don't have much grass for him to do his business on. Then there is potential barking and biting complaints which neither of us needs.

Open alcohol containers, glass bottles of any kind. (see above!)

Thanks and we'll see you this weekend!

'Vid

Hey Tikiyaki we'll be bringing a wide assortment of masks (some of the ones you asked about) and things, come over take a look and say hello.

See you all there,

Bosko

Hey Vid,

thanks for all the rules and suggestions.
very good stuff there.

Jeff(btd)

M

Y'all have a zazz of a time for Inky and I--we just can't make this event this year. See some of you at Hukilau!! :)

May 3 is a good day for tiki in So Cal;
Leroy Schmaltz of Oceanic Arts Retrospective-- Receptions May 3, 3-5 pm May 17, 3-5 pm Exhibit April 30 - May 30, 2008 Gallery hours Mon - Sun 12 to 5 Whittier Art Association Gallery 8035 Painter Avenue Whittier, Ca 90602-2508 Leroy will display works from early OA days til the present including his personal paintings, sculpture, and drawings.

On 2008-04-29 16:53, 'Vid wrote:
Things to bring!

Most important not to forget these items!

Sunscreen, hats, folding lawn chairs, coolers with water, soda and ice, a change of shirt (or buy a new TIKI-INVASION II T shirt!) and a boom box radio with fresh batteries for the movie sound (which tunes in on FM radio). Canopies for shade are great, just weight down the legs with something heavy (gallon jugs of water or sand, barbell plates, cinder blocks) so they don't blow away in the wind and damage someone's head or someone's classic car, and take them down BEFORE the movies start.

Strange as this sounds, a light jacket or blanket is not a bad idea as it can get cool in the late evening at the drive-in. Cameras are permitted.

Bring cash too, we do not accept credit cards but we do have an ATM located inside the snack bar. Remember, if you are buying tickets at the gate they are cash only.

For movie watching, we recommed a "tailgate" style setup with lawnchairs, a blanket, rug or tarp to lay down on the ground and make things cozy, FM radio boom box for the movie sound and a cooler.

And bring ALL your friends who like to have a GREAT time!!

IF YOU ARE BRINGING LIBATIONS:
Please put your favorite libations is DISCREET CONTAINERS such a coke cups, sports bottles, travel mugs, or our plastic tiki mug available at the snack bar. We can not permit open beer cans, beer bottles, or any obvious alcohol container, which may include tiki mugs. We will have a limited amount of soda cups and lids available FREE of CHARGE for this purpose. We apologize for this necessity but keep reading.

The Montclair police will be present for our security which is a very GOOD thing, and even though we are on private property it is a public event which means no open containers allowed. Treat this event exactly like you would a day at the beach or the park. Be cool about drinking alcohol and the security will be cool towards you. If you doctor your soda pop up with something good, be discreet about pouring it and carrying it and everything will be perfectly fine.

Things NOT to bring:

Pets. Alas, Fido will not be very happy on hot asphalt all day and listening to loud music. Besides, we don't have much grass for him to do his business on. Then there is potential barking and biting complaints which neither of us needs.

Open alcohol containers, glass bottles of any kind. (see above!)

Thanks and we'll see you this weekend!

'Vid

Thanks for the info, exactly what I needed!

'
'Vid posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2008 3:06 PM

Folks have been e-mailing me about nearby hotels. We suggest the Best Western Pine Tree on Central Ave in Chino, CA. Very retro feel to the place and rooms start at just $58.

It's not the Ritz Carlton, but we love the loungy/hip vibe of the place and the location is ideal, it's about 2 miles from the drive-in and just a couple of blocks from Honolulu Harry's, a very nice Tiki themed restaurant. Google Best Western Pine Tree Chino.

We did not attempt an affiliated event discount this year so hop online, use your favorite travel website and book your best deal. Last time I checked on hotels.com they did still have availablilty for Saturday night.

some people have been asking me who is playing when, so I am gonna post this here, so I dont have to keep looking for it, in the middle of all the posts.
:)

Can't wait.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Tiki-Invasion II, May 3rd 2008, Schedule of Events

Tickets and vendor space still available!

http://www.tikiinvasion.com

Main Stage:
12:50pm – 1:00pm Emcee Jet Powers – Welcome

1:00 to 1:30 The Del Reys – Surf

1:30 to 1:45 Ms. Bonnie Delight

1:45 to 2:15 The Burmese Crush

2:15 to 2:30 King Kukulele

2:30 to 3:15 The Woggles

3:15 to 3:30 Ms. Bonnie Delight

3:30 to 4:15 Deke Dickerson

4:15 to 4:30 King Kukulele

4:30 to 5:15 The Ghastly Ones

5:15 to 5:30 Ms. Bonnie Delight

5:30 to 6:30 Unknown Hinson

6:30 to 6:45 Ms. Bonnie Delight

6:45 to 7:45 Agent Orange

Shady Lanai:
12:00pm to 3:00 TikiYaki Orchestra

3:00 to 5:30 Lonesome Spurs

5:30 to 8:30 The Martini Kings

MOVIE SCHEDULE:
8:30 – 8:50 Vintage movie trailers and one 1940’s cartoon
8:50 to 10:15 Deathrace 2000
10:20 to 10:40 Vintage movie trailers
10:40 to 12:10 Zombie
12:15 to 12:35 Vintage movie trailers
12:35 to 1:55 Invasion of the Bee Girls

I sure hope that you folks on the Left Coast can keep up with the "Original Drive-Invaders" that are coming to LA to show you people how to get "Drive-In Sorry." We will be holding seminars all day long.
All you guys better have cold beer waiting.
See you there,
Laffo

Beer??

what about Rum??
this IS a tiki event after all....

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Is there a list of vendors??

On 2008-04-30 21:57, bigtikidude wrote:
Beer??

what about Rum??
this IS a tiki event after all....

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yes beer! It IS a hot rod/kustom car event TOO after all....

so PBRs all around right?

now how do you do the little puking smiley?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-05-01 08:38 ]

T

I'll be there vending if there is still room. Being completelly commited to the beachcomber lifestyle, I forgot to send in my check and sign up!:D I mostly looking forward to getting to see everybody again and see all the other cool work people have been doing!

I'll have some handpainted mugs

carved signs, driftwood tiki lamp, various flotsam and jetsam, and of coarse driftwood tiki necklaces!

http://www.tikitony.com/signsfurniture.html

H
harro posted on Thu, May 1, 2008 4:58 PM

What an awesome event!!

I wish i could go but I'm a little far away unfortunately!

Good to see drive ins are still operating in the US. I saw some pics of the decor that Diablo did when you renovated it - AMAZING! It is definitely on my to-do list when i hit the states.

Look forward to the pics.

TT

Hey just wondering if anyone from the San Diego area is heading up to this gig and has a spare seat? Would love to check it out but have no wheels and Sarah is working Sat so let me know if your going my way...
Cheers..
Tiki Trav

C

On 2008-05-01 18:39, Tiki Trav wrote:
Hey just wondering if anyone from the San Diego area is heading up to this gig and has a spare seat? Would love to check it out but have no wheels and Sarah is working Sat so let me know if your going my way...
Cheers..
Tiki Trav

I am heading up early Saturday morning but staying up there till Sunday. No one really fits in the back seat of my Mustang anyway. Sorry can't help ya out with a ride! I would if i could

Have to repo my Harley that day, dammit!! Deadbeat I sold it to, welshed, claimed to be broke, and then took it to my buddys shop to get it fixed. Re-tard. I'll catch the next one!!

TL

That'll teach you to sell your Harley!

Seriously, you have my sympathies for the hassle: you've got a real brain trust for a purchaser there - think we could get him a job in government?

Good luck, and be safe about it.

Tiki Lion

On 2008-05-01 18:39, Tiki Trav wrote:
Cheers..
Tiki Trav

Great, ya roo shaggin twat! No Beauty Bar with us this week then? The wife will be out of town and it's boys night to howl......or screech or something. Maybe we could even grunt a bit.

Tiki Lion! Long time no speaky, how are ya? I'm actually pretty happy to get my Harley back, but it IS the one that nearly killed me before Oasis last year. As far as Gov. employees, we only take introverts, sociopaths, and OCD sufferers!!

TL

Doin' good, BTC, thanks for asking.
I finally shed my security business legacy from 30 years ago - the one with occasional sudden requirement to disappear into a communications black hole for 2-10 days at a time.
That freed me to start a new prof. service corp., so I've been self-educating and inventing that, and finally got my papers back from the state this last month.
Now I can finally stroll around in the open without so much worry about eyes in the back of the head, but on the other hand since I'm now the sole employee of my own proper Co. there may be a call for some actual work involved in earning money.
I designed it that way to give me freedom but keep me honest, and overall I'm glad I did, but there are some days...

Maybe I was wrong about the Harley, given the way it tried to keep you away from Oasis '07...
Is it listed on Pele's crap list?
As I put it before, be safe with that repo: there's planning, there's action, and then sometimes things get hairy anyway.

CA

this will be the last event to order my custom mugs at original prices... so ask me about them.... they be going UP UP UP!! by June.

DEATH RACE 2000!! can't wait!!!!

'
'Vid posted on Fri, May 2, 2008 12:07 PM

Tiki Tony, we got room for you bro! And all yer pals too!

Gotta go shine up the GTO wagon and get it ready for the show!

Laffo, we have a "situation room" for you, LOL

T

I should be vending late with Tiki Tony but Ive been tiki swamped . I just have too many events Ive been doing and too many coming up plus trying to get out some cooool commisions as well .I actually get to just enjoy this one and walk around . Ill be walking the crowd with Tiki Kinniki so thanks for the P.M.'s.Ill see you all there . C'Al is right about Deathrace 2000. This show is gonna RAWK !!!!!!!!!

Los Angeles and Hollywood Ohana!

It looks like I may be in need of a ride down to the tiki invasion!!!

My 62' Comet told me today that she's not up to it, and the ol' man's stuck in the dungeons of his stupid evil law firm all weekend! :(

Please spread the word, and e-mail me if you can help!

I will of course drive to your house or meeting point, and chip in for gas/food/fun.

MAHALO, and I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE to see you tomorrow!

-Suzy

Well I had a little electrical situation with the Model A last night bringing it home from my dads...a few blocks from the house, headlights go out! After work today I found the bad connection on the dimmer switch and we are back in business! I will see you all tomorrow!!

See ya'll there. the place is ready for you guys to enjoy. John, I broke a motor mount doing a lil doughnut in the parking lot!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 240 replies