Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKI INVASION II, Saturday May 3rd 2008 - Mission Tiki Drive-In Theatre

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 240 replies

Bugs Bunny..? Shay, old chum, how about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wackiki_Wabbit

Trailers are certainly always fun, they are short and shlocky in their hard sell delivery.

Creature from the Black Lagoon would be a solid classic to screen at the drive in. The fact that it would be in 3D just makes it all the better. Great choice!

Creature in 3D is AWESOME!
I saw the Red/Blue Anaglyph version years ago and remember it being the ONLY non-polarised 3D movie that ever worked for me. The underwater photography has such gorgeous depth to it. My only worry is that the Drive-In projector's bulb might not be bright enough to handle the long throw of light to the screen and make it through the red/blue filters on the glasses. 'Vid's a pro, tho. He'll make it work out right!

Hey, how 'bout a 3D nite? Bwana Devil might fit in good...

'
'Vid posted on Mon, Feb 11, 2008 2:06 PM

[ Edited by: 'Vid 2008-02-11 19:18 ]

i may have to break out my 55 chevy for this one!
tony
the martini kings

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Feb 12, 2008 6:27 PM

"Now remember guys, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge! No, not a musical bridge, we're headed for a low BRIDGE!! So everybody DUCK and let's take it at the coda. And a one and a two... :wink:

I'm thinking the radio on the dashboard must be very intimidated by the sound.

Bring that hot set of wheels and I'll buy the gas! Very cool ride, and the cargo is priceless!

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Feb 12, 2008 8:41 PM

Here's what many of us have been waiting for!

WOW!! :o
Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!

attaaaaack!!!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

'
'Vid posted on Thu, Feb 14, 2008 5:03 PM

VENDORS! BANDS! ARTISTS! PROMOTERS! EVENT COORDINATORS!

This year we will have a fabulous TIKI-INVASION II EVENT GUIDE, chock full of TIKI-INVASION II info including band bios, movie descriptions, Mission Tiki Drive-In info plus much more.

This printed publication is about the size of an LA Weekly or Village Voice. The print will be black and white with red spot.

Of course, there will be lots of room for advertising. Do you have a product, service, band or event to promote? Perhaps a public announcement like "Sweetheart, Will You Marry Me?" or "Happy 39th Birthday - Again!" Maybe even a hot rod, motorcycle, guitar or tiki bar for sale? Here's a great chance to run a super good looking ad that will be seen by thousands for an ULTRA affordable price!

How affordable is affordable you ask? How's $50 for a FULL PAGE ad and $25 for a half pager? That's incredibly affordable, in fact you almost can't afford NOT to take advantage of these low rates!

For advertising info, please contact our publisher Jason Lonon at Deathray Design, his e-mail is (I'll spell this out so he doesn't get spammed) "jason_lonon at earthlink dot net" (remember the underscore between his first and last name) or simply google deathray design to find his myspace webpage. Be sure to put "Tiki-Invasion II" in the subject line when you correspond.

Jason did our Drive-Invasion '07 Event Guide (Atlanta) and it was totally rockin'! The ad rates are dirt cheap and the product is fantastic, you will be very pleased. Not to mention the guy works nearly around the clock and is a DREAM to work with. He can use your existing artwork or help design your ad from scratch.

Some of you may know Jason as the drummer for The Tremors, an awesome rockabilly trio from North Carolina. Good stuff!

Give Jason a shout and get your ad space reserved TODAY. Hurry, it'll sell out fast!

can i suggest the b- movie pagan island which features the martini kings?

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Feb 19, 2008 1:41 PM

This just in!

We'll have Miss Bonnie Delight's Burlesque Revue in between sets of the bands.

Also keep a lookout for The Lonesome Spurs on the Shady Lanai!

'
'Vid posted on Sun, Feb 24, 2008 7:18 PM

Attention Vendors, promoters, advertisers!

Our TIKI-INVASION II EVENT GUIDE is filling up fast! If you're interested in placing an ad, please e-mail "jason_lonon at earth link dot net" about reserving your ad.

Again, this is a GREAT looking guide and the rates are dirt cheap!

$25 half page,

$50 full page. Just $50 bucks for a full page!

Thanks and we'll keep you posted on further updates.

'
'Vid posted on Fri, Feb 29, 2008 10:42 AM

TIKI-INVASION is BACK, better than ever! And it's heating up with another musical addition to an already AMAZING lineup! It's the sonic mayhem of surf punk band AGENT ORANGE!!

Tiki-Invasion II, the WiLdEsT TIKI-INVASION YET!

RoCk and SwAy to these incredible BANDS all day long!

AGENT ORANGE

UNKNOWN HINSON

DEKE DICKERSON

THE WOGGLES

THE GHASTLY ONES

THE DEL REYS

plus!

THE MARTINI KINGS

THE LONESOME SPURS

THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA

on the Shady Lanai!

With visits between sets from:
MISS BONNIE DELIGHT'S BURLESQUE REVUE and
KING KUKULELE!

HOT ROD CAR SHOW ALL DAY!
A massive celebration of vintage rides! Come check out these sweet rides from traditional hot rods and rat rods to muscle cars and ultra clean classics!
Wanna show off your baby in our show? It's EASY - Pre '68 cars only (that's '67 and earlier, duh!), come enjoy the event and show off your vintage wheels! Driver and occupants must purchase their ticket at regular rates, then just park your vehicle in the CAR SHOW lot and receive a special goody bag stuffed to the gills with cool snack bar freebies and tiki-invasion fun! All with your pre '68 entry!

WHEN THE BANDS ARE DONE ROCKIN', WE'LL START ROLLING THREE (3!!) VINTAGE "B" and CULT CLASSIC MOVIES on one of our GIANT DRIVE-IN SCREENS AT DARK! We'll feature SwInGiN', ScReAmInG, SCI-FI-RIFFIC vintage movies with loads of VINTAGE MOVIE TRAILERS, RETRO CARTOONS AND SNACK BAR SNIPPETS! (movies to be announced soon!)

SHOP 'til YOU DROP!
Shop the hippest vendor booths and score the cOoLeSt merch! Clothing, jewelery, tiki, hip and monster artwork, posters, vinyl and much MUCH more! (Vendors! We still have space available, please reply if you are interested!)

Gates at NOON, 1st band at 1:00pm, movies at DARK!
Tix: $22 adults, $5 for kids 12 and under, tots under 3 are FREE. Purchase your tickets cash at the gate or visit http://www.ticketalternative.com soon!

[ Edited by: 'Vid 2008-02-29 13:50 ]

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Mar 4, 2008 9:15 PM

More TIKI-INVASION II news!

We're thrilled to announce that Official "INVASION" emcee JET POWERS will be hosting the show. Jet was the emcee at the very first DRIVE-INVASION in Atlanta waaaaay back in 1999, he's emceed every DRIVE-INVASION since then. Now we've got him back on our coast for TIKI-INVASION II.

VENDORS! The VENDOR APPS are ready and downloadable at myspace.com/missiontiki. Give it another day and they'll be on missiontiki.com and tikiinvasion.com when that webmaster can catch up with his TIKI-INVASION workload. A vendor space is just $75 for the day! Come have fun and make a ton of money too!

The final band in the lineup has been confirmed... THE BURMESE CRUSH is on board and ready to rip it up! Featuring members of The Forty Fives, Hi-Test and The Woggles, this is one band guaranteed to get the event into overdrive!

'
'Vid posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2008 8:44 PM

Great news!

http://www.tikiinvasion.com is live and looks great!

Vendor apps are available at tikiinvasion.com or myspace.com/missiontiki

Also, http://www.ticketalternative.com went live selling TI2 tickets. Get your tickets today!

Can't wait for this.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

C

Do cars need to be registered for the show or do I just show up? What time to you start setting up the car show? I will be driving up from San Diego. PM me info about the car show stuff if you have a flyer, etc

H

On 2008-03-05 20:44, 'Vid wrote:
Great news!

http://www.tikiinvasion.com is live and looks great!

Vendor apps are available at tikiinvasion.com or myspace.com/missiontiki

Also, http://www.ticketalternative.com went live selling TI2 tickets. Get your tickets today!

Nabbing Agent Orange is great! But why no mention of them on the web page? Are they not a for sure thing yet or did they not want to be listed? Or is it because you're afraid the local law enforcement will see it and show up mistakenly thinking there's going to be a punk rock melee??

'
'Vid posted on Fri, Mar 7, 2008 1:52 PM

LOL...

The reason they are not listed is much simpler and a lot less wacky than that.

The web guy used an early rough draft lineup for the initial website setup.

Agent Orange will be listed soon along with Atlanta's fabulous The Burmese Crush.

Also being added to the webpage will be the always charming King Kukulele, Miss Bonnie Delight's Burlesque Revue, and official INVASION emcee Jet Powers.

Police showing up for a "punk rock melee"? You must be joking, or living in 1975. At least one of those guys in that band is over 50. "One Adam 12, One Adam 12, reports of a surf punk band playing up-tempo music at an outdoor festival, use caution as at least one member reported to be taking Centrum Silver with antioxidants plus Ginko for improved memory, backup being dispatched immediately..." hahahhaha

H

On 2008-03-07 13:52, 'Vid wrote:
...Police showing up for a "punk rock melee"? You must be joking, or living in 1975. At least one of those guys in that band is over 50. "One Adam 12, One Adam 12, reports of a surf punk band playing up-tempo music at an outdoor festival, use caution as at least one member reported to be taking Centrum Silver with antioxidants plus Ginko for improved memory, backup being dispatched immediately..." hahahhaha

Or maybe I'm living in 2005...

Somewhere on this poster is Agent Orange (God bless 'em).

Remember, it's not the aging artist on stage that the police are worried about, it's the whacked out kids spilling out of the mosh pit.

Nevertheless, Tiki Invasion II looks to be great and I'm looking forward. Now where did I put my Doc Martens...

'
'Vid posted on Sat, Mar 8, 2008 12:20 PM

Actually I am living in 1975 and quite happy doing so, LOL

Should be a very exciting show!

'
'Vid posted on Sat, Mar 15, 2008 9:12 PM

Movie update!

One of the three TIKI-INVASION films have been confirmed...

DEATH RACE 2000! (1975)

Starring
David Carradine as Frankenstein
Mary Woronov as Calamity Jane
Simone Griffeth as Annie Smith
Sylvester Stallone as Machine Gun Joe Viterbo

The two other titles will be confirmed shortly!
Meanwhile please visit http://www.tikiinvasion.com for the latest info!

[ Edited by: 'Vid 2008-03-15 21:14 ]

Great lineup again 'Vid!! Any plans for an event mug?

I am a huge fan of Deke Dickerson so that was a great addition! (I even brought a bunch of Deke fans to your Saddle Sore Saloon show a few weeks back). And I still have Agent Orange's This Is the Voice on cassette (and also on the ipod)! And the Ghastly Ones and the Martini Kings and King Kukulele again, and now the Del Reys! Great live music, cool tiki vendors, cool movies at the drive-in full of classic cars, your show has become an instant Must Attend event for us and our friends!

I assume since Franco lives in Texas now he won't be able to help with the car show? Do you have that part under control? It seemed pretty straight foward at the first one but if you do need any extra help let me know. I don't know if you remember this but I am the guy who helped the guy (from Atlanta I think?) put up the mister tent.

We will be bringing out more cars this year and we are really looking forward to it!! Gotta bring more sunscreen this year though...and a canopy.

Here's me in '06, looking rather content, with my then primered Model A behind me-

Do we need a Tiki Central member traditional hot rod display area...eh Danny? :D

[ Edited by: Aloha John 2008-03-16 12:52 ]

'
'Vid posted on Sun, Mar 16, 2008 3:52 PM

More great news, I have confirmed ALL THREE films.

DEATH RACE 2000 (see post above), ZOMBIE, and INVASION OF THE BEE GIRLS!

ZOMBIE (1979, Dir. Lucio Fulci) Strangers looking for a woman's father arrive at a tropical island where a doctor desperately searches for the cause and cure of a recent epidemic of the undead.

http://www.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK//title/tt0080057/trailers-screenplay-E19476-310

From IMDb:
Now this is how a zombie film should be made! Whilst Lucio Fuci never had the creative genius of Dario Argento in Profondo Rosso, Tenebrae and Suspiria, he certainly knew how to make a good old fashioned zombie/gore movie. In Zombi 2 or Zombie Flesh Eaters (what a title!) as it was known in the UK, a ship drifts into New York with a very large, hungry zombie on board. This leads to two investigative journalists, including gore stalwart Ian McCulloch, with two holiday makers going to the Island of Matul. After meeting a shark wrestling zombie en route, they arrive at Matul where things are not going well. The hospital run by Dr. Menard has turned into a morgue where daily zombie killing has become the routine. Things go from bad to worse as the zombies grow in number and various dismemberment, eye gouging, jugular bites etc ensue. What makes this film so good are various factors. Apart from being one of the first gore films I ever saw, it has no social commentary or hidden meaning and does not try to be a comedy (although some may argue with this). It is a good, honest gore film. The special effects are nice and gruesome, with fantastic zombie make up, great zombie attacks and loads of maggots and worms. The crazy underwater battle between zombie and shark is totally original and not surprisingly has never been tried since. The infamous eye scene whilst a bit creaky still makes the viewer cringe. The acting and dubbing are dodgy but don't detract from the zombie mayhem, the music is great with calypso music to greet the heroes and throbbing effects to welcome the zombies. I cannot recommend this highly enough for good old fashioned zombie related thrills. Also look out for The Beyond and City of the Living Dead in a similar vein.

INVASION OF THE BEE GIRLS (1973, Dir. Denis Sanders) A powerful cosmic force is turning Earth women into queen bees who kill men by wearing them out sexually.

From IMDb:
In the small town of Peckham, California, many men die for excessive effort during sexual intercourse. When a scientist from the Brandt research laboratory is found dead in a motel, the government sends Agent Neil Agar (William Smith) to investigate the mysterious deaths. He suspects that the deaths may be related to some experiments of Dr. Susan Harris (Anitra Ford), who is researching bees in the Brandt facility.

"Invasion of the Bee Girls" is a delightful and enjoyable B-movie. The dark cinematography is awful with very bad lighting and horrible direction; the flawed screenplay and dialogs are silly and very funny; most of the actors and actresses are ham, with terrible acting and ridiculous dialogs (when one of the guys, referring to his friend that has just died in a motel, says to his colleagues in the bar "- Imagine, coming and going at the same time", I laughed a lot) ; there are many beautiful naked women, free nudity with lots of breasts and hilarious scenes, like, for example, the unique shot of the hero along the whole story is in a lever of a computer that provokes fire and lethal smoke everywhere in the room where the bee girls are gathered together. The actresses undress practically in every scene, without any motive, being a film of soft sexploitation. If you like trash-movies and beautiful nude women, see this flick. My vote is five.

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2008 4:11 PM

Vendors and promoters please take note! We still have room for vendors in the vending midway at Tiki-Invasion PLUS we still have a few pages left in our Tiki-Invasion Event Guide!

Vendor spaces are just $75 for the day. Enjoy a day at one of the most incredible drive-in theatre events in the world and make a few bucks while you're at it!

Event Guide ads are only $25 for a half page and $50 for a full page. This event guide will be distributed to all event patrons plus thousands of drive-in movie goers for days after the event!

Vendor apps are available at tikiinvasion.com

Event guide ads can be placed with Jason at [email protected]

Hurry, deadline is closing in for both opportunities!

VID AND THE MISSION TIKI DRIVE IN KNOW HOW TO THROW A BASH!
WE WILL SEE YOU IN MAY!
THE DEL REYS

'
'Vid posted on Sun, Mar 23, 2008 12:19 AM

New this year! Our BIG KAHUNA stage will be set up directly under the drive-in screen!

UNKNOWN HINSON

Online tickets ($22 adults, $5 kids 12 and under) still available at http://www.ticketalternative.com or buy them at the gate (cash only).

[ Edited by: 'Vid 2008-03-23 00:20 ]

Great news! The Tiki Shop & Tiki Stan will now be vending at the show. Come get your tiki planters or grab a great carving from Tiki Stan(I've seen some that he is working on for the show.....wow). Look forward to meeting you all.

fun

Fun

FUN!

CA

more fun

Fun
FUN!!!!!!

Ben? could you work my booth... is your kid 16 yet? put that F'er to work!!... we play...........

A sneak peek at my first piece for the show. Tiki Stan

Well here is my first piece finished for the show,It is a ice bucket on top.It is just under 6 feet tall.I hope it is a hit.I could use some help on pricing it. Thanks Tiki Stan.

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2008 4:35 PM

I want one! Longnecks prepare yourselves!

TS

Is there anyone with the full flyer so it can be tossed around the 'net? Not just the logo, but including all the bands, ya know...to help raise awareness?

'
'Vid posted on Sat, Apr 5, 2008 12:22 PM

Sure thing!

Blah, blah, blah - Drive-Ins.
Laffo

On 2008-04-05 12:22, 'Vid wrote:
Sure thing!

Who does the artwork and design? It's excellent!

'
'Vid posted on Sat, Apr 5, 2008 6:15 PM

Our artist is a trade secret! We'll NEVER tell! David Von Der Linn at http://www.vonderland.com and http://www.tuesday.com is ours and nobody else's! LOL

LOL Laffo! Don't you go shooting any body parts off, 'ya here?

'
'Vid posted on Sat, Apr 5, 2008 11:54 PM

And here's the official T shirt design!

MT

Does anyone want to carpool down to the Mission Tiki shindig from the San Francisco Bay Area? We have room for one, maybe two peeps. Who's up for a road trip?

MT

Anyone? Bueller?

Cool event! Great band line-up etc..... - you would have to cover the entire Drive-in up here to prevent warpage in the NW!

'Vid - short of driving a few hundred miles, paying to get in and driving all the way back up to p-town. Anyway to get T-shirts mail order? Didn't see any info on the site at all.

'
'Vid posted on Mon, Apr 14, 2008 1:44 PM

No, ya gotta come the the event!! That's the only way! LOL Hahahahahaa

Seriously, T-Shirts will be available at http://www.missiontiki.com and http://www.tikiinvasion.com shortly after Tiki-Invasion takes place. I'm working with our web guy on that, but there is just too much on my plate right now to focus on it. But it is on the "things to do" list once things settle down a little.

The T's are going to look great. Worth the drive if you just can't wait for the webmaster! :wink:

T

On 2008-04-07 01:10, Mai Tai wrote:
Does anyone want to carpool down to the Mission Tiki shindig from the San Francisco Bay Area? We have room for one, maybe two peeps. Who's up for a road trip?

I'm flying down. With the cost of gas these days it's cheaper (unless you carpool). Total roundtrip cost was $108.

'
'Vid posted on Tue, Apr 15, 2008 12:19 PM

Did you ever think you'd see the day when flying was cheaper than driving?!

I'm a "the journey is the destination" kind of guy, I love the romance of a good old fashioned ($4.00 per gallon) road trip. Of course flying can be a real experience too! LOL

As for Tiki-Invasion, I've added another vendor area, so it's not to late if you'd like to set up a booth. We can even accomodate vendors at the gate on event day, just show up by 10:00am and bring a check with you (no plastic).

'
'Vid posted on Thu, Apr 17, 2008 11:44 PM

Tiki-Invasion II, May 3rd 2008, Schedule of Events

Tickets and vendor space still available!

http://www.tikiinvasion.com

Main Stage:
12:50pm – 1:00pm Emcee Jet Powers – Welcome

1:00 to 1:30 The Del Reys – Surf

1:30 to 1:45 Ms. Bonnie Delight

1:45 to 2:15 The Burmese Crush

2:15 to 2:30 King Kukulele

2:30 to 3:15 The Woggles

3:15 to 3:30 Ms. Bonnie Delight

3:30 to 4:15 Deke Dickerson

4:15 to 4:30 King Kukulele

4:30 to 5:15 The Ghastly Ones