Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis Room Crawl... It's on!... UPDATED List Pg. 1 & 11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 272 replies

On 2008-07-01 18:22, Billy the Crud wrote:
Hey, Nelva, are you doing the Pink Cheeky Monkey again? That was one of my FAVORITES from last year.

Brand new concoction this year -- "THE VOODOO KITTY"

Using the VooDoo Rum as on of the main ingredients to keep in step with the theme and sponsors...
The drink is bright neon green and will make you purr!

If you are still taking a count, Shelley, please subtract 2 from my party of crawlers. Jay and I will still be there, but our lady-friends bowed out.

See you in 27 days!
Yeehaw!
Myke

Mrs.Mojo and myself FINALLY got our Oasis tickets so we're there and crawlin' all weekend long!

Dearest Shelley- Thanks for organizing this yet again this year, though I'll bet it's not a big arm twister. Please add myself and the Mrs. Tiki Joe's Pop to the list as well as 2 extra-special guest stars flying in from MAUI! hint: one of the two celebs is the reigning "Best Bartender in Maui"...and SHE expects top shelf hootch, people!...and Shelley, remember, I'm not as old as you thought I was. CHEERS! YOU STAY CLASSY SAN DIEGO! -TJP

[ Edited by: Tiki Joe's Pop 2008-07-20 17:30 ]

I'd like to sign up on behalf of Waitiki. I think there are 5 of us. Hope that's not a burden. We drink a lot, but we enjoy it. And are good company.

In light of the syposium schedule. I'm changing my host time:

From Sat. 4-5:30
To Sat. 4:30-6:00 pm.

So grab a VooDoo Kitty before the show!

Mahalo!

2 from the GoldenTiki will be crawling. Thanks!

RR

Count me in for crawling.

Count me in for the crawl (hey, someone's gotta represent the NYC crew!)
~Gina

S

Did you decide on the vessel yet, Gina? Can't wait to see ya crawlin'!

Suzanne

On 2008-07-23 14:03, suzanne wrote:
Did you decide on the vessel yet, Gina? Can't wait to see ya crawlin'!

You know, there's so many vessel options for a gal to choose from that I'm having a hard time. I think I"ve narrowed it down to my fav 3 and perhaps I'll make my final selection based on volume...hmmmm. Can't wait to see you too. Us redheads gotta stick together.

Oh, another NYCer will be attending, so I now need two passes: one for me, one for Tabuzak.

Gina

SANTIKI'S = 2 to CRAWL

Aloha Tiki Oasis '08 Crawlers and Room Hosts!

Below is a preliminary schedule for the Room Crawl. You may want to print a copy to refer to before you leave for the event. As other Room Hosts provide me with their hosting times I will update this schedule.

Thursday
5:00-6:00 Wersmo Derinc & Rebecca of the Purple
Orchid "Wermo Derinc's Welcome Wagon"

Friday
1:00 - 3:00 Vampiress RN & Carona Contessa

2:00 - 3:30 Croe67, SkiTiki, & Tiki Wine Bear Room 1649

3:00 - 4:30 WooHoo Wahine & Soccer Tiki Room 1128

4:00 - 5:30 Brenda's Tiki Hut & Iso Tiki

4:30 - 6:00 EdsGone Tiki & Cindy

5:00 - 6:00 Suffering Bimbo & CocoPuff

After 10:00-? RumShaker

Saturday
8:00 AM Poolside Tiki Fink, DJ

Saturday PM RumShaker?

3:30 - 4:30 Billy the Crud & Grace

4:30 - 6:00 Cheeky Girl & Kaula Tiki

5:00 - 6:00 Kahuna Kent & Professor Voodoo von Taboo Tiki

5:00 - 6:30 Tangaroa-Ru

6:00 - 8:00 Tikitastic, Forbidden Island, Tai Won On, Dr. Von Zombie, Rum Runner, Notch, KimtheCanuck, Panda, Mai Tai and Coco Loco plus others, Room 1849.

Saturday Night 12 Midnight Dibroc & Trader Tom Morbid Room #1537

I have been in contact with Dr. Shocker and he is diligently working on the Crawl Cards. We will both be handing out the cards throughout the event. I will be arriving at the Crowne Plaza on Thursday afternoon and I will be staying at the hotel through tout the event. I will also be at the Bali Hai for the entire evening on Thursday.

Room Hosts, as soon as you have decided on your hosting time, PM me or post your hosting time on this thread. I am providing Room Hosts with a special gift of appreciation this year. This year's gift has a powerful dose of VooDoo!

Looking forward to seeing you all at Oasis '08!

Aloha!
Shell in the Pacific

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2008-08-04 11:04 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2008-08-04 11:09 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2008-08-05 16:07 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2008-08-05 16:10 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2008-08-07 20:40 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2008-08-08 19:40 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2008-08-12 18:35 ]

How does a newbie to Oasis find out or get involved in some of this crawling action..... and is it called that a Room crawl because by the end of it you are literally crawling?

count me in...ill be crawlin......

Pineappleman...look at pg. 1 the crawl details are there...

The crawl is going to ROCK this year, man.......everyone be sure and pack a spare liver!

Pineappleman, stick close to me and we'll show you the ropes. Was nice meeting you at Psycho Beach Party!

View my work @

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-07-31 08:38 ]

Mahalo to Cheeky Girl and Billy the Crud for pointing Pineapple Man in the right direction!

Dr. Shocker just sent me a proof of the Crawl Card. It looks great!

Thanks to all potential Room Hosts! All of the names on page one of this thead are featured on the Crawl Card. If you are still considering being a Room Host and have not posted your desire to do so yet, please hurry. There is only limited space left on the card.
If for some reason you are second guessing your desire to be a Room Host, please let me know asap. Your name can be removed from the card to free up space for someone else.

Well we are only about 2 weeks away now! Yipeee!

Aloha,
Shell

Hi Shelly - Count me + 2 to crawl.

Thanks!

Okay finally figured out how to scan and convert my flyer, into a JPeg format.

T

Hi Shelly
Please count tikimary and sandytrunks in for crawling.
Thanks!

Nice one, CheekyGirl! Count us in for Saturday!

Croe67, Skitiki, and I will be hosting our room crawl on Friday. Here is our poster! Come by and knock down a 1934 version Zombie with us and share some old fashioned Aloha! (Room/hale number subject to change.)

See ya soon!
Myke

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2008-08-01 13:22 ]

D
DJLee posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2008 4:44 PM

Dear Shell
I'm down and so is Jamie and Crystal Ann - so could you add three to the crawl?
THANKS!
Lee

TFB

Please put me down for two. Can't wait to see everyone again!!!

Forbidden Island and the NorCal ohana (Tikitastic, Tai Won On, Dr. Von Zombie, Rum Runner, Notch, KimtheCanuck, Panda, Mai Tai and Coco Loco plus the Forbidden Island crew Martiki, Conga Mike, etc.) will be hosting drinks from 6-8pm on Saturday in suite 1849.

Come and get your Forbidden Island signature drink....more details available at:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29349&forum=17&2

[ Edited by: Tikitastic 2008-08-05 14:04 ]

Hey, how did you guys get room assignments already!
I left a space on my flyer so I could fill it in later....
Somebody is working some special VooDoo!

On 2008-08-02 14:35, CheekyGirl wrote:

CheekyGirl-Who do that voodoo that you do so well? :P

I agree...we called the hotel today to make sure we got a room at least facing the courtyard, and all they could tell us is that we were assigned a "leisure room" rather than a poolside room. No mention of any room numbers.

With only a handful of suites available at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, suite room numbers are assigned when you make your reservation. That is NOT to say the suite number reserved will not change at check in. That's why I put the disclaimer on my posting ("subject to change") just in case that should happen. But, since Tiki Oasis is taking up the entire hotel, I would say it's a good chance the room number will be honored. (Croe67, Skitiki, and I will have a magic marker with us when we hang the posters.) :)

See yous very soon!
Aloha!
Myke

On 2008-08-02 10:02, SoccerTiki wrote:

In the event that our room number changes, no-one will be notified! Just follow the smell of Fresh Brains and Zombie Punch!

Please put me down for one card - I've finally registered and will be arriving on Friday.

Aloha Room Crawl Hosts! This is going to be great and we've still got some available time to come play for you. Friday afternoon seems to be booked, but we're rarin' to go Friday night. Saturday late afternoon and from 7:30pm are open, too. Let us know! Details below.

-Weird Unc

On 2008-06-24 11:24, weirduncletiki wrote:
Aloha! The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa would like to room crawl. There are six of us.

Not only do we want to crawl, but we want to play for you as you host a room party! You bet! We'll make ourselves available to perform live at your room party. That’s right! The snazziest Hawaiian musicians you’ve ever seen or heard will show up at your door free of charge and serenade you and your guests while you show off your exotic libations.

Here’s the line-up:
It’ll be myself and Thurston Lavatube the Third on ukuleles, Alana Moana Beach Parks on upright bass, Montyrialoha on guitar, Kanaka Jones on Hawaiian steel, and YOU and ALL YOUR FRIENDS on backing vocals. We cannot guarantee TMMML's presence, that's what makes her so mysterious.

We’re taking reservations now, so don’t delay. This is your chance to get up close and personal with the merry minstrels of aloha, the incomparable Makai Gents! To schedule a time, please send me a private message or e-mail. Mahalo!

-Weird Unc

[ Edited by: weirduncletiki 2008-08-03 15:55 ]

MT

On 2008-08-02 19:32, tikiwinebear wrote:
With only a handful of suites available at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, suite room numbers are assigned when you make your reservation. That is NOT to say the suite number reserved will not change at check in.

Yeah, no special VooDoo being worked, yet. :wink: That comes later! It's pretty much what Myke said. Since there are only a few suites, I guess they felt that they could disclose to us what the suite number was. However, up until now they simply told us what floor we would be on, even though we made a suite number request. We actually didn't know what that suite number was until this week.

And that's Suite 1849, for those who are keeping notes. Unless they change it on us between now and then! :D

Aloha Hosts and Crawlers!

There is an updated list of days, times, hosts and a few room numbers on pg. 11 of this thread. I will continue to update the list until Wed. 8/13.

Print yourself a copy before you head out to Oasis.

See you there!
Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

Thanks again to Shell for taking the time to get us organized again this year! And another big Mahalo to the Mai Kai Gents who have offered to serenade the room crawlers as they knock back a few concoctions being mixed up by the room hosts.

My special "Mahalo" to the hosts this year is a new version of my TWB Fishnet float pendant. This year's model glows in 5 different colors, and no batteries required. I made a limited supply of these, so if you see them around someone's neck, you know they must have been a Host.

As per several requests, I will also have available a few sets of TWB Fishnet Float earring and pendants, in various colors. Please ask about these if you are interested, as they will only be available during our hosting time (Friday, 2-3:30).

And for those who didn't get one of the original TWB Fishnet Float pendants made with a glass orb, I will have a smaller version available in our crawl room, in many different colors. This year I am also featuring my new Rear-view mirror Fishnet Float hanger, made from rubber so it won't crack your windshield. I have tied a bunch of these up in 6 different colors: hot pink, yellow, orange, peacock blue, green, and purple.

If you miss me at Tiki Oasis, I will be offering these at the Forbidden Island Parking Lot sale, Sept 14! Or send me a message or email!

See you all soon!
Aloha,
Myke

M

Aloha,

I'm pleased to say that Forbidden Island will be joining the NorCal Ohana in Tikitastic's Suite 1849 with a first time ever experience:

On Saturday the 16th from 6-8pm, come by and enjoy a Forbidden Island Cocktail, available outside of the bar for the very first time!

PLUS:

Believe it or not, buried in the back of the shed, we have unearthed a forgotten case of ORIGINAL ISSUE Forbidden Island Brown Tiki Mugs! We will be selling these very limited supply mugs for $20 while they last! Don't miss these (I swear it this time!) last EVER Brown FI Mugs!

See you then!

Mahalo!

Another room poster for you crawlers. I'm not much of an artist and the hotel won't give a room number, but here it is:

I'll also have copies of my chapbook "Voodoo Lounge Stories" available at the room. Two stories, three recipes, and a Heather Watts cover.

Aloha Room Hosts and Crawlers!

Congratulations to Tiki Tastic on being the 200th Crawler on the list! The NorCal Tiki Ohana and Forbidden Island's martiki have increased the number of potential crawlers to 209!

This is the largest group of crawlers ever. When we held the first crawl back in 2005, I believe 50 people had expressed their desire to crawl. Wow, we have come a long way, baby!

Crawlers please consider providing the Room Hosts with a small token of your appreciation of their hospitality, in the form of tips or donations of ice, booze or mixers, or whatever you like.

Also Crawlers, I encourage you to print out a schedule for yourself. The updated schedule is on page 11 of this thread.

Here is a quick aside, and reminder of the impact that the Room Crawl has had on the host hotel. I believe it was at Tiki Oasis 2005, when the Caliente Tropics had been taken over by new management, (meaning not Casey Jones). The Reef Bar had been in operation for at least one year I believe, but their cocktails were not the best tasting by any means. In the spring Doctor Z and I got together and organized the first Room Crawl. Casey Jones and the previous hotel owners/operators had warned the new management about the potential of the Reef Bar being swamped, and the need for large amounts of booze. I met up with Casey Jones at Hukilau in October of 2005 and we were discussing Oasis. He mentioned that the management of the Caliente Tropics was puzzled/disappointed by the small amount of revenue generated by the Reef Bar. I then clued Casey into the fact that we had held the first Room Crawl that year, and everyone had been drinking in the rooms instead of the Reef Bar! Casey thought this was truly priceless.

The Room Crawl has become my favorite part of Tiki Oasis. Let's keep this great tradition going each year.

I am really looking forward to seeing you all at Oasis!

Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

With 13 or 14 Hosts signed up for room crawls this year, and a potential of 209 crawlers, I would be amazed that the Crowne Plaza Hotel could possibly lose any money in their bars. The entire hotel is sold out to fun loving, rum drinking Tiki freaks, who know how to party. I am sure BevMo will see lots of revenue generated by the Tiki Ohana too. With the disappointing service we received last year, maybe the Crowne Plaza can show their best side and earn our hard earned dollars and loyalty again. The crawl Hosts will only provide a small portion of the libations our crowd will inhale next weekend. I hope Crowne Plaza is ready for us! I know I am thirsty!!!

Quite frankly, we had been forecasting pouring 100 drinks in our Host room on Friday. Me thinks we might have to revisit our estimate. :)

Mahalo again Shell!
Aloha to all!
Myke

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2008 11:18 PM

LOVE this poster! It's inspiring! I'm gonna use happy little dead fish skeletons in my next Tapa prints.

On 2008-08-05 16:55, Shell in the Pacific wrote:
Aloha Room Hosts and Crawlers!

Congratulations to Tiki Tastic on being the 200th Crawler on the list! The NorCal Tiki Ohana and Forbidden Island's martiki have increased the number of potential crawlers to 209!

Make that 210, Shell!!

MT

No, Shell, update it to 211 and 212 for Coco Loco and me. Good to see that you will be there, Conga Mike. NorCal in the Hizzy!!! We're gonna be keepin' it real in Suite 1849 all weekend long, too!

R

lucky me gets to be crawler 213! :lol:

can't wait! :)

Myke,

I've been a room host since the inception at the Tropics and discovered that due to over-lap, etc. that not all crawlers will show up at your room. You can expect about 1/3 or 1/2 at the very most.

And as gracious as all us hosts would like to be, we are not expected to serve all crawlers. It would be quite expensive. Hosts usually have a set amount of drinks they would like to pour and serve until they are dry.

No harm, no foul.

Oh, and the poster....I'm terrified of anything zombie (well except the drink), so I had to make it "happy". I have zombie nighmares...so a happy zombie fish and Voo Doo Kitty was just the ticket!

MT

Damn you Mai Tai...couldn't resist and opened up the link!

She should have picked up her pumps -- the heel could have been used as a weapon to smack the zombie up-side the head and pierce his brain, silly girl.

[ Edited by: CheekyGirl 2008-08-06 01:36 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 272 replies