Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tikiyaki Orchestra : Ceremonial Blessing of the Hidden Village : July 11th at KONA !!! Reserve now !

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies

T

:tiki: THE CEREMONIAL BLESSING OF THE HIDDEN VILLAGE with THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA ! :tiki:

Come Celebrate the return of the return of one of the few original and beloved Tiki Temples left in SoCal.
KONA is proud to bring back every tikiphile’s favorite Tiki Temple, the Beatuiful “Hidden Village” at KONA.

A very special “Blessing Ceremony” will be performed by Crazy Al, complete with a Champagne Toast, as a way to celebrate the return of this amazing Tiki Room which will also include 2 Sets of live Exotica by The Tikiyaki Orchestra, Hula Dancers, food and drink specials and more.

Don’t miss this very special event.

ADMISSION IS FREE !

WHEN : JULY 11th 8:00 PM

WHERE : KONA Restaurant (formerly Sam’s Seafood)
16278 S. Pacific Coast Highway, Huntington Beach, CA 92649
1 mile south of Seal Beach Blvd.
(562) 592-1321
http://www.konahb.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-06-11 21:48 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-07-08 11:19 ]

Hell yeah.
I'm so F ing happy.
:)
for those who don't know what tikiyaki sounds like.
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-07-02 09:38 ]

My calendar is marked! See you guys there

JB

I'll be there.

WooHoo!!! SoccerTiki and I can't wait to see The Tikiyaki Orchestra perform in The Hidden Village :)

I'll be there in spirit. :wink:

I really wish I was seeing them at the Mai Kai.
;-(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TM

I will be there! Bring on those bird calls!!

T

Bump !

Just so you all know, we have some of the limited Edition Tikiyaki Orchestra / Hukilau Mugs (designed by our beloved Drummer SQUID) leftover and they will be available for sale at this event.

$30 while supplies last.

We will also have a small run of 11' x 17" Posters for this commemorative event, as seen in the initial post for $10.

This is going to be a great event. Admission is free and I'd love to show the owners how dedicated the TC Ohana is to Tiki. Folks, if you haven't been to the new Kona, you're missing out. It's our last standing Tiki Temple in SoCal, so if you guys want a great Tiki place to hang, show your support.

Looking forward to it, big time !

HOOOOOOOOOOO Brah HOOOOOOOOOOOO! Are you kidding me? Shoots, this is an event of epic proportions! So gather up all the Wahines and Kanakas and hele down to da kine. Dis buggah gonna be off da hook! Eh whens Kona gonna get da Primo Beer cuz?

T

Mongoloid....

I KNOW the guy that writes the Tasty Island Blog ! He lives in Waikiki. Trippy !

I am in Tikiyaki and I will definitely take a mug or two !
Mahalos,
Trader Bill

I am a bit surprised that more people are not talking about this.

this is a huge event!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TM

I'm not suprised at anything anymore.

However, since the Tikiyaki Orchestra is one of the best bands around, me and Tiki Bong will definately be there!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2008 10:45 AM

SQUID says,"Be there, or I'll haunt your dreams!!"

T

Sounds like fun! See you all there!!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2008 10:53 AM

Marty Lush says, " Come shee us at Sham's Sheafood. What? Ish not Sham's anymore? Kona?! Well, hwatever the hell ish called, come shee the Teriyaki whorehchestra play July 11sh."

On 2008-07-01 09:54, bigtikidude wrote:

this is a huge event!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I thought they were keeping things on the down low these days, or is everything at Kona free? :)
BUSTED!

T

On 2008-07-01 11:53, Tiki-Kate wrote:

this is a huge event!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I thought they were keeping things on the down low these days, or is everything at Kona free? :)
BUSTED!

We're not keeping anything on the down-low. Honestly, I didn't mention the beachcomber gig, because, at $75 per ticket, I didn't want to insult people with that kind of ticket price. It was a Malibu fundraiser, and far from a Tiki event. We were there to provide a nice tropical musical background for people to eat, drink and socialize to. This really wasn't a "show" per se.

This KONA event however IS Free, and we want ALL the Tikiphiles to come out because, let's face it, we have NO original Tiki places still standing in SoCal, and even tho' KONA has gone through a transformation from Sam's to Kona, it's still an original Tiki place, and a damn nice one at that, so we should support it. We all gripe everytime another great tiki place is torn down, but KONA is trying to keep it's original Sam's Tiki vibe alive, and it needs the support of the Tiki community.

So, no down low for this....Tell everyone you know. It's gonna be a fun night.

BB

On 2008-07-01 14:05, tikiyaki wrote:
let's face it, we have NO original Tiki places still standing in SoCal, and even tho' KONA has gone through a transformation from Sam's to Kona, it's still an original Tiki place, and a damn nice one at that, so we should support it.

I'm with ya Jim but you've mentioned this before and I'm sure the people at The Tonga Hut, Bahooka, Tiki-Ti, Damon's, The Bali Hai, Humphrey's and even the Warehouse might argue with you.

I'll be there on the 11th.

T

On 2008-07-01 11:53, Tiki-Kate wrote:

this is a huge event!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

BUSTED!

We're not keeping anything on the down-low. Honestly, I didn't mention the beachcomber gig, because, at $75 per ticket, I didn't want to insult people with that kind of ticket price. It was a Malibu fundraiser, and far from a Tiki event. We were there to provide a nice tropical musical background for people to eat, drink and socialize to. This really wasn't a "show" per se.

This KONA event however IS Free, and we want ALL the Tikiphiles to come out because, let's face it, we have NO original Tiki places still standing in SoCal, and even tho' KONA has gone through a transformation from Sam's to Kona, it's still an original Tiki place, and a damn nice one at that, so we should support it. We all gripe everytime another great tiki place is torn down, but KONA is trying to keep it's original Sam's Tiki vibe alive, and it needs the support of the Tiki community.

So, no down low for this....Tell everyone you know. It's gonna be a fun night.

Oops. Guess I should have done :wink: instead of :).

I was just pulling your leg since that was such a change from the promotapalooza for each of the previous Tikiyaki performances.

I'll stop talking now and just show up and watch you play. See you on the 11th. :blush:

T

On 2008-07-01 14:32, Bora Boris wrote:

let's face it, we have NO original Tiki places still standing in SoCal, and even tho' KONA has gone through a transformation from Sam's to Kona, it's still an original Tiki place, and a damn nice one at that, so we should support it.

I'm with ya Jim but you've mentioned this before and I'm sure the people at The Tonga Hut, Bahooka, Tiki-Ti, Damon's, The Bali Hai, Humphrey's and even the Warehouse might argue with you.

I'll be there on the 11th.

You got a point there Boris. I guess I don't ever really think of the Tiki Ti because it's so small, and doesn't really give you the Big Supper club experiencethat, say, the Mai Kai does. In that respect, KONA is the closest think we have to the Mai Kai interms of the scale of the place. The Tiki Ti tho' is famous for the drinks and the owner history, which is obviously a big part of
what makes it special.

The Warehouse.....that's a place I need to go...Isn't it more of a strictly nautical theme tho ?

KATE...no worries, and yea, I guess I'm heavy handed when it comes to promo. There's really no point in lugging 7 people and all that gear out to play to nobody. God knows, I've done enough of THAT in my life with other bands, so I try to make sure that when the band has gone through all that effort, there is a crowd to play to. :)

Anyway, I really want this to be a great event., and no disrespect was meant to the other fine establishments I overlooked. I Love Bahooka,The Tonga Hut, and Damons.....my bad :roll:

looking forward to it!!

I'll be there with bells on!! Will you guys be playin any DIO??

PLAAAAYYYY FREEEE BIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See all you poop-heads on the 11th.

so whats the deal on food and seating etc.....
do we need to make reservations, or just show up?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-07-02 21:19 ]

for those who don't know what tikiyaki sounds like.
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-07-02 09:32, bigtikidude wrote:
so whats the deal on food and seating etc.....
do we need to make reservations, or just show up?.....
Jeff(bigtikidude)

They are already taking reservations :)

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2008-07-03 12:34 ]

This is going to be so much fun! See you all there! :)

R

On 2008-07-01 10:45, GROG wrote:

I'll be there if it means that Squid will stop asking me to "pull his finger".

Remember....this is like a dinner show. The entry is free. If you reserve a table or are lucky enough to get a table without a reservation, then the waitresses will be expecting you to order food from their menu. The owner is working with us and wants our support ($$$) on an ongoing basis. Let's have a fun time and keep this place alive.

T

Exactly.

This is a Dinner Show, and the food at Kona is great, so bring your appetite.

:tiki: :tiki: :tiki: Also, we are currently working on a special drink menu for the evening which will be comprised mainly of drinks pulled from the The Beachbum Berry catalog of classic Tiki Tropicals from the "Grog Log", and other Beachbum Berry books. I'll post that up here as soon as we finalize that. :tiki: :tiki: :tiki:

So, reserve your tables now.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-07-02 17:47 ]

On 2008-07-02 17:24, tikiyaki wrote:
We are currently working on a special drink menu for the evening which will be comprised mainly of drinks pulled from the The Beachbum Berry catalog of classic Tiki Tropicals from the "Grog Log"...
[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-07-02 17:47 ]

Wow this just keeps getting better! Might I recommend the pulled pork, the Kona Burger, or the Atlantic Salmon. See y'all there.

T

Tikiyaki Orchestra Ceremonial Blessing of the Hidden Village Schedule.

Aloha Folks,

For those of you who were unable to hear us at Hukilau, we are very excited to bring Tikiyaki back to So Cal for your listening pleasure. We are also very honored to play at the tiki temple of Kona! If you've never been there, you are in for a real treat. The banquet room and Hidden Village are both amazing.

So, make your reservations now !

Here's the list of the evening's festivities.

Doors Open at 7:00 p.m.

7:00 Dinner will be served in the main Banquet Room adjoining the Hidden Village until 10:00. The full menu will be available.

The Banquet Room will have a full bar featuring a select menu of classic drinks from Beachbum Berry's Grog Log, including the classic Trader Vic's Mai Tai. Get your drink in a Sam's Mug for only $20 !

9:00 Groove to the Tikiyaki Orchestra! Attention bird callers: Audience participation encouraged!

10:15 Hidden Village Opens. Blessing Ceremony by Crazy Al and Champagne Toast.

10:30 Tikiyaki Orchestra 2nd set. Audience participation is a given at this point. We know how many Mai Tais you will have consumed by this time!

The doors to the Hidden Village will remain open after the ceremony, so both the Hidden Village AND the main Banquet Room will be open for us all to enjoy!

A limited quantity of Tikiyaki Orchestra Hukilau Mugs will be available for $30

A limited run of the evening's event poster will be available for $10

Sam's Mugs will be available for $20, includes drink

Admission is FREE !

Please remember, KONA has been gracious enough to open up their doors to us, so please show your support. If we want to have more great Tiki events at KONA, we need to show the owners how we do it ohana style !

The food at KONA is ONO, so show up hungry, and you'll leave satisfied !

I know that the economy sucks,
and traveling is hard for some now.
but would be cool to see some people from Nor. Cal., San Diego area,
Las Vegas, or Arizona TC people at this event.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-07-05 16:03 ]

T

To Make your reservations online....follow the link.

http://www.opentable.com/single.aspx?rid=21031&restref=21031

B
BigToe posted on Mon, Jul 7, 2008 3:15 PM

See you there!

On 2008-07-07 15:15, BigToe wrote:

See you there!

OK!!

On 2008-07-07 15:15, BigToe wrote:

See you there!

Not if we see you first

Awesome flyer BTW, but there is one important detail missing...the Time. Hope this helps.
Love,
Spermy

T

I hope they plan on having a full waitstaff that night. We were there wednesday evening. Only one waitress for the entire place. Little or no help from the rest of the staff. The food was fantastic but the staffing and service still need work.

T

Spermy,

I DID have the time on the flyer, but took it off as I was still planning out the evening's events, and nothing was set in stone yet. However, the above posted schedule should answer all your timing questions.

Regarding the wait staff. The Owner told me that they will have 4 people on the wait staff for the event (just for our room, I believe))

Also. The owner also told me that there was some miscommunication regarding reservations, and some people were told that they weren't taking reservations when they called to make them.
If anyone DID call to make reservations and were told that, call again, or make them online, as the staff is all aware that they are to take reservations for this event.

Here is the link to make reservations online...very simple.

http://www.opentable.com/single.aspx?rid=21031&restref=21031

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause anyone.

Thanx for chiming in on this stuff guys !

See you al there !

By The Way :

As promised, The Tikiyaki orchestra Special Event drink menu. KONA agreed to make select recipes from Beachbum Berry's Grog Log, renamed for the members of the band for the night.

Now, if THAT don't tell you how cool the new owners are, I don't know what does....

Here it is.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-07-08 08:08 ]

JB

That menu is one beautiful work of art!

wow very cool,
I just may have to try one of each.
:)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

S
squid posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 12:07 PM

On 2008-07-02 15:15, Riptide wrote:

On 2008-07-01 10:45, GROG wrote:

I'll be there if it means that Squid will stop asking me to "pull his finger".

Sorry. You have to pull it on queue for the big finale. Rehearsal at 6:00 PM. Be there or you're out of the band.

I just made our reservations online. It is super simple and takes a minute!

Jen

there was some trouble with the online reservations for us.
so we called and it was a snap.

will be there with the Big tiki parents.
but not the anti social brother.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies