Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tikiyaki Orchestra : Ceremonial Blessing of the Hidden Village : July 11th at KONA !!! Reserve now !

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies

What a great time! Standing room only! After a few of those drinks it was pretty challenging to even do that. Tikiyaki was at the top of their game as usual, when they played the Hidden Village it was a pretty magical moment. The toast by Crazy Al was classic! Good to see old friends and meet some new ones. Big mahalos to Kona for throwing out the welcome mat!

TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA is too COOL for SCHOOL!
Great band-Great location...
What a "fun" evening! :)
everyone else said what needed to be said...
Incredible!

Big Toe and Daves Not Home,

How proud your wives must be!

Had a great time, wished we could've stayed longer. We had the portabello burger that our server recommended and it was outstanding.

Tikiyaki O, you guys rock!

Jen

Sounds like a straight up blast at Kona. I'll have to stop back by when I am out there for Oasis.

S

On 2008-07-13 10:06, Skinny Dog wrote:
Big Toe and Daves Not Home,

How proud your wives must be!

Had a great time, wished we could've stayed longer. We had the portabello burger that our server recommended and it was outstanding.

Tikiyaki O, you guys rock!

Jen

Someone married THOSE GUYS????

B

more shocking still is that they are STILL married to us...

but we are SEXY SEXY beasts.

Now how are you doing setting up our "ALL KINDS A' WRONG" show, Squid-ward?????

Missed the gig but A customer stopped in the other day and said you guys kicked ass ... which explains why I can hardly keep your disc on the shelf.

May have to sell my own copy if Tikiyaki Corporate Relations doesn't contact me soon!

On 2008-07-14 13:51, hodadhank wrote:
Missed the gig but A customer stopped in the other day and said you guys kicked ass ... which explains why I can hardly keep your disc on the shelf.
May have to sell my own copy if Tikiyaki Corporate Relations doesn't contact me soon!

Hey hank! I still got a couple of bootleg 8-tracks available...
SHHHHHHHHHH!

T

On 2008-07-14 13:51, hodadhank wrote:

Hello, You've reached the Tikiyaki Orchestra Corporate Offices. Please listen to the following menu options, as the options have changed.

To speak with a live agent press 1

BEEP

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com/LISTEN.html

We are currently experienceing a high call volume, but your call is important to us. The expected wait time is to speak with an agent is 3 hours.

Please hold on the line and enjoy the music.

D

And the award goes to Tikiyaki Orchestra for being the first Exotica band in history to be shut down by the police!! ---The not so Quiet Village!!

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2008-07-14 15:49 ]

T

Beware of people selling bootleg Tikiyaki Orchestra 8-tracks from the back of their cars... hotel rooms... etc...
I bought one at Hukilau and it didn't make it through a single play in my Ford Granada...

Insist on the real deal!
Buy it on CD from http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com/

and if you truly do have an 8-track player... just get one of those 8-track to cassette converters.... and then one of those cd to cassette converters... and a portable cd player... and you will be in business...
You will truly be amazed at the sound quality too... :)

Cheers!
Brian
The Intoxicators!

[ Edited by: tikigoob 2008-07-14 19:26 ]

I left my T.O. CD in a rental car...I went back to the lost and found at the airport about 3 times looking for it, but to no avail. I really hope someone picked it up (my Martini Kings Weekend In Palm Springs CD was with it!) and has become a Tikiyaki fan because of it. Kind of like leaving a Bible in a hotel room I guess.

T

On 2008-07-14 16:46, Tikigoob wrote:
Beware of people selling bootleg Tikiyaki Orchestra 8-tracks from the back of their cars... hotel rooms... etc...
I bought one at Hukilau and it didn't make it through a single play in my Ford Granada...

Insist on the real deal!
Buy it on CD from http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com/

and if you truly do have an 8-track player... just get one of those 8-track to cassette converters.... and then one of those cd to cassette converters... and a portable cd player... and you will be in business...
You will be truly be amazed at the sound quality too... :)

Cheers!
Brian
The Intoxicators!

Hee Hee....I like it !

On 2008-07-13 08:34, Mongoloid wrote:
What a great time! Standing room only! After a few of those drinks it was pretty challenging to even do that. Tikiyaki was at the top of their game as usual, when they played the Hidden Village it was a pretty magical moment. The toast by Crazy Al was classic! Good to see old friends and meet some new ones. Big mahalos to Kona for throwing out the welcome mat!

Mongoloid....Did you have those Seats up next to the waterfall during the hidden village set ? That must have been a great place to sit.

Did you see that Don the beachcomber guy in the white suit sitting in the big rattan fanback chair ? He was a trip.

It looked a little like this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJnZJvF6JUI

On 2008-07-14 22:33, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2008-07-13 08:34, Mongoloid wrote:

Mongoloid....Did you have those Seats up next to the waterfall during the hidden village set ? That must have been a great place to sit.

Did you see that Don the beachcomber guy in the white suit sitting in the big rattan fanback chair ? He was a trip.

Yes, we were up in the bungalows stage left, Mike who owns the Picture Show Gallery in Seal Beach invited us to sit up there with his ohana so we were stoked to see everything from that vantage point, Bird calling with the birds eye view was pretty rad!
And ooooh ya i saw the character in the white suit. Im pretty sure he did a costume change. He was wearing a different outfit when you were playing the dining room then changed to the white suit for the Hidden Village. He hit on my wife when she was taking a picture of the waterfall, he kissed her hand and asked her if she wanted to take a ride on his catamaran to some island she wouldnt be able to pronounce. I was definately amused.

Sidenote: I spoke with one of the bartenders and Kona will be getting Primo Beer in soon, he was on the phone with the distributor that day and said it should be available soon, as well as Hinano!

T

JoeBanks...Awesome !!!! Wow, sound quality is great. Nice 2 camera transitions too. Can't wait to see the rest.

Mongoloid....too funny about that guy. He said something to one of the other guys about using one of our songs for a website for a new resort he is building in Thailand....

Either he is a Rich Typhoon or a really wonderful BS artist ! Mr beachcomber in the white suit, If you're out there, and are the former, please PM me !!! :)

Damn, we have to figure out a way to play in that room again. Due to the cops and homeowners, it may be a bust. Gonna have to talk to the owners more.

Good news about the Primo too.

On 2008-07-15 09:45, tikiyaki wrote:
Damn, we have to figure out a way to play in that room again. Due to the cops and homeowners, it may be a bust. Gonna have to talk to the owners more.

Why not play at an early time?? Maybe a Sunday afternoon. I couldn't think of a better way to end the weekend :)

What I don't understand is this, I have driven by that place in the past and heard very loud rock bands and top forty bands playing. You can actually hear it outside very well. Especially in the back parking lot. They never had a problem before?

Actually, those A**hole neighbors complain all the time, according to the staff...

WooHoo, I'm hoping we can do something in the daytime, but I'm not sure. Apparently, those neighbors must have some pull with the cops.

I think a daytime gig will be a great. Maybe have some art and vending, the Smokin Menehunes or the new band (sorry, the name escapes me). Make it a cool event.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2008-07-15 12:16 ]

On 2008-07-15 11:12, tikiyaki wrote:
Actually, those A**hole neighbors complain all the time, according to the staff...

WooHoo, I'm hoping we can do something in the daytime, but I'm not sure. Apparently, those neighbors must have some pull with the cops.

I think a daytime gig will be a great. Maybe have some art and vending, the Smokin Menehunes or the new band (sorry, the name escapes me). Make it a cool event.

Put me in coach!
The new band we are working on would not be a good match for Kona. Definately on the louder and more aggressive side, but the Smoking Menehunes definately have the gentle, Hawaiian sound that works well at low volumes. Good opening band for the TO, IMHO!
But I lay the blame for the police coming squarely at the feet of Dave "Pull my finger" Cohen, AKA Squidward.
A little known fact: During the 70's he was the tour drummer for BTO, 3 dog night, April Wine and of course Hawkwind (The loudest band ever) and probably is carrying over a lot of agression from those days.
Memo to Squid: It's an EXOTICA band NOT a kiss concert, you evil genius!!!!!

Couldnt you play the front dining room? They used to clear all those tables out for a dj and make a dance floor pre Kona. The music would carry into the bar area too! Just a thought! The Hidden Village experience is the epitome, but if the neighbors are donkeys that might be an alternative!

I say Hidden Village again, but Sun. from 5 pm to 8pm,
then no worries about the neighbors.
right?

Jeff(bigtikidude)
p.s. Great Vid.

D

This was leaked to the public...

A "mug shot" ooooo, did I have to say that?

D

JB

Well, bigtikidude...since you liked that vid...here's another for ya!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQAUA0q29C4

Joe,
you da man,
great sound, and images, so killer man.
Mucho Mahalos

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I just want to know where the pictures are of Betty Bleu and I in the "mosh pit" and of the two of us "crowd surfing" before the cops showed up? :)

JB

S
squid posted on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 3:14 AM

Lucas Liquor said: "A little known fact: During the 70's he was the tour drummer for BTO, 3 dog night, April Wine and of course Hawkwind (The loudest band ever) and probably is carrying over a lot of agression from those days."

Why didn't you tell me I was in Hawkwind when I was in Hawkwind? I guess I missed it. Did I enjoy it? Did I consume mass quantities of mind expanding substances with Lemmy and Bob Calvert? Was Simon House there? Were Dick Mik's oscillators in tune?

Don't try to goof on the old squid with obscure Brit space rock bands. I had Space Ritual and Hall of the Mountain Grill on vinyl when they were brand spankin'new. :)

And (I'm not kidding) I saw the first Hawklords tour. It sucked.

But if you like Hawkwind for real, check out High Tide, Simon House's band pre-Hawkwind......F#@KING HEAVY ASS SH%T with fuzz wah violin. Think the reckless abandon of Blue Cheer but with songwriting abilities and probably better amps, oh, and TALENT! Black Sabbath sounds like little poopy-pants whiny babies compared to this stuff. The best of the 2 albums is Sea Shanty.

Let me know when I've gone off topic....

And no Lucas, this is not your opening to spew forth about more obscure bands nobody cares about. I've just done that. It would be boring. :)

squid
president 13th floor elevators fan club

T

Posted at 3:14 am no less.

Sleep deprivation can have some scary effects on people. :o

JB

Squid...what are your thoughts on The Partridge Family?

B

Hey Joe,

Are you going to post any of that video you shot that nite?
I would like to see the blessing and the crazy dancing and
calls from him and the audience if you do

[ Edited by: biffachu 2008-07-18 09:44 ]

S
squid posted on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 2:04 PM

On 2008-07-18 09:21, Joe Banks wrote:
Squid...what are your thoughts on The Partridge Family?

I freakin' love the Partridge Family! Tell me you weren't in love with Susan Dey....

N

Squid,

Susan Dey was gorgeous! David Cassidy, like him or not, was a magnet. Every girl I knew wanted him.

T

Yea, but the real star of that show was the BUS !!!

Oops. I didn't mean to hijack the thread with Partridges.

T

We got a small review on the OC Register for the Blessing.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/starbucks-stores-store-2093491-coffee-hawaiian

Not sure if it's good or bad, but's nice to be mentioned I guess.

I guess you guys are a "Hawaiian Band" now!
Can't believe they put a Starbucks article on top of yours....
and no mention of the bus OR Susan Dey.....
Well...congrats anyway!
Save the memorable quotes for the Rolling Stone and Spin articles....

Its kinda like
Puppet Show = Starbucks Article
Spinal Tap = Tikiyaki

JB

They did have a bigger dressing room than the puppets.

Oh no, if I've told them once, I've told them a hundred times:
Put Ramona Reed first and Spinal Tap and puppet show last..."

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies