Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tikiyaki Orchestra : Ceremonial Blessing of the Hidden Village : July 11th at KONA !!! Reserve now !

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies

TM

Nothing to say, I just wanted to keep this post up at the top where it belongs!!

S
squid posted on Wed, Jul 9, 2008 6:06 PM

On 2008-07-09 12:42, lucas vigor wrote:
Nothing to say, I just wanted to keep this post up at the top where it belongs!!

Thank you, Lucas!

S
squid posted on Wed, Jul 9, 2008 6:06 PM

On 2008-07-09 12:42, lucas vigor wrote:

Thank you, Lucas!

T

Squid thanked you twice.

Now THAT's somethin' !

Thanx Lucas...3 times !

JB

Up ya go....

M

Look at this duet we will get to behold! Top Notch

T

Also, remember....Our Mug aka "Bobby D" will be available in limited quantities.

TM

Tikiyaki orchestra rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! (I mean, SWINGS!!!)

On 2008-07-10 09:59, lucas vigor wrote:
Tikiyaki orchestra rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! (I mean, SWINGS!!!)

I knew Tikiyaki was a swingers club!!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 10, 2008 5:00 PM

Go home Dave!!

No Dave, come out and PLAY!

GROG too!

See you guys tomorrow night!

Tikiyaki-Will the mugs be $ 25 like they were at the Mai Kai??

On 2008-07-10 22:12, 1961surf wrote:
Tikiyaki-Will the mugs be $ 25 like they were at the Mai Kai??

The Mugs are $30, just like at the Mai Kai. They were never $25.

I know of about 10 people not on TC that are goin,
thanks to some helpful suggestions by me.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TM

Open up the gates and let me in!!!

(Titus Andronicus)

TM

I am confused..(of course) but what times exactly are the band playing? is it 7 and 10:30 or 9 and 10:30? (The register paper says it is 9 and 10:30)

it's 10:15!!!!!!!!!
did i miss it?

T

Here's info Tikiyaki posted earlier in the thread:

Here's the list of the evening's festivities.

Doors Open at 7:00 p.m.

7:00 Dinner will be served in the main Banquet Room adjoining the Hidden Village until 10:00. The full menu will be available.

The Banquet Room will have a full bar featuring a select menu of classic drinks from Beachbum Berry's Grog Log, including the classic Trader Vic's Mai Tai. Get your drink in a Sam's Mug for only $20 !

9:00 Groove to the Tikiyaki Orchestra! Attention bird callers: Audience participation encouraged!

10:15 Hidden Village Opens. Blessing Ceremony by Crazy Al and Champagne Toast.

10:30 Tikiyaki Orchestra 2nd set. Audience participation is a given at this point. We know how many Mai Tais you will have consumed by this time!

The doors to the Hidden Village will remain open after the ceremony, so both the Hidden Village AND the main Banquet Room will be open for us all to enjoy!

...And LLT, that's 10pm AT NIGHT!

I had to re-arrange my schedule and threaten to re-arrange someone's face, but I think I'll make the 10.30 show.

I desperately want one of those Tikiyaki Orchestra mugs, hope they're not sold out by then!!!

Joe Banks, if you're at Kona tonight, I can buy you that drink I owe you!

Once again.

This is the schedule, but don't hold us to it exactly. :o

Doors Open at 7:00 p.m.

7:00 Dinner will be served in the main Banquet Room adjoining the Hidden Village until 10:00. The full menu will be available.

The Banquet Room will have a full bar featuring a select menu of classic drinks from Beachbum Berry's Grog Log, including the classic Trader Vic's Mai Tai. Get your drink in a Sam's Mug for only $20 !

9:00 Groove to the Tikiyaki Orchestra! Attention bird callers: Audience participation encouraged!

10:15 Hidden Village Opens. Blessing Ceremony by Crazy Al and Champagne Toast.

10:30 Tikiyaki Orchestra 2nd set. Audience participation is a given at this point. We know how many Mai Tais you will have consumed by this time!

The doors to the Hidden Village will remain open after the ceremony, so both the Hidden Village AND the main Banquet Room will be open for us all to enjoy!

Aloha tobunga!

I will be there, filming the orchestra for the "Mai Tais on the Moon" Tikiyaki documentary!

Tip, tip hoorah!

On 2008-07-11 10:51, tikiyaki wrote:
Once again.

This is the schedule, but don't hold us to it exactly. :o

What are you doing posting...go sound check or something! For God's sakes we only have 8 more hours :D

S

This looks like an awesome event... post some photos!

Suzanne

Thats was a mis print , I meant $ 30 .Thanks Tikiyaki.
Look forward to seeing you perform.

R

Whoa! almost totally forgot about this!

My nephew, niece, and I are gonna try and be there on time! :)

can't wait!

On 2008-07-11 10:15, little lost tiki wrote:
it's 10:15!!!!!!!!!
did i miss it?

Yes, you missed all the fun so don't show up tonight!!

S
squid posted on Fri, Jul 11, 2008 3:54 PM

And remember, it's FREE to get in and we guarantee you will get your money's worth. See y'all tonight!

On 2008-07-11 15:54, squid wrote:
And remember, it's FREE to get in and we guarantee you will get your money's worth. See y'all tonight!

I was just wondering if tonights event will be Fun and/or Funny?

I was just wondering if tonights event will be Fun and/or Funny?

Nope!
Except for the fact that you're showing up....
but it will be "funny"...
in quotes....

R

I KNOW Squid promised FUN, FUNNY, & FREE!!! As a matter of fact, Here is the proof:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15844&forum=13&5367

You might need to scroll down a bit or look on a different page, I can't remember where he actually said it

Regardless, if it ain't FUN! FUNNY! AND FREE! I AIN"T PAYING!!!

I heard that there are no more reservations available, standing room only now,
hows that for last min comeback?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

So let me get this straight: All fun is free tonight? I don't get it.

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2008-07-11 18:37 ]

True Tiki. Amazing professionalism. What more can I say? The Tikiyaki Orchestra rules once again. JP, Squid, Marty Lush. the smooth and fluid Jim. You guys are the goodS !!!

R

Great Job, Boys!!!

It was as promised. It was fun. It was funny. I guess it could have been free, but even though I spent a good amount of change on food & grog (not Grog) it was worth every penny!

When is the next one here at Kona?

Awesome night! I bet there hasn't been that many people at Sam's/Kona since the Tiki heyday in the 50's and 60's. The Grog Log drinks were kind of a bust - fresh lime juice and orgeat doesn't mean sweetened lime juice and amaretto, sorry nice Kona bartender girl. Also, overbooking the Kona Room was not too cool either, since we made our reservations a week in advance and still had to eat dinner in the front part of the restaurant, away from everyone else. The T.O. was excellent as always...what were the cops hasseling Chuck the owner about in the parking lot? Did the Tikiyakis rock way too hard for the Huntington Beach neighbors? That has to be the first time an exotica show was shut down by the fuzz...good job guys!

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2008-07-12 11:39 ]

WoooHooooOOOOooooo! What an awesome night at Kona!

Let the party begin!

Hinano Paul HipHipHula Crazy Al SoccerTiki & Trader Tom

??, Roxanne, Riptide, Rebecca & Bif

WooHooWahine and our neighbors, Mongoloid and his very cool wahine.

Our beautiful merchandise girls!

MakeDaMug(Holden) looks on while WooHooWahine and John get crazy!

Crazy Al with the Tikiyaki Orchestra in the Hidden Village making the dedication toast.

Chuck, the owner passes out champagne to all in attendance! Whatta class act!

PiPhiRo and Betty Blue taking in the scene from the back bar.

Kirby catching Daves Not Home with a sucker punch!

TigerLily with her dinner: 3 King's Hawiian Bread rolls and a Mai-Tai!

RipTide and I were the bread in a Gorgeous Sandwich featuring Rebecca!

Little Lost Tiki (Ken Ruzic) and Roxanne hanging out.

The boys being taken care of by our awesome bartender!

Skinny Dog and Jen

Tiki Ray and Tiki Kiniki

Mick from the Smokin' Menehunes and his lovely wahine

Mrs Lurker thought she was dreaming standing next to RipTide!

WooHooWahine and Bong! Need I say more?!

LLT feeling the drinks...

And let's not forget why we were all there!

And one for the boys.....NICE TIKI!!! :P

R

Man! I am so wicked bummed!

traffic was a nightmare and I wasn't able to make it from Universal to Kona's! Waaah!!! :(

Looks like an awesome night tho!

Can't wait fer a neext time? hopefully?

S

BiG MaHalOs to everyone that made it to Kona. (And you too Ravenne. We know you tried)
I even saw the elusive, reclusive Dr Z! Now where's my Romper Room mirror so I can call out everyone's name.....

It was great to see all your smiling faces. And we had a blast playing for you.

I think we achieved what we set out to do. Now the folks at Kona know that TC ohana will pack the joint! And we had fun!

Special thanks to Crazy Al, the lovely dancers, the roadcrew (Dibroc, Gary, Trader Tom), all the bird callers, monkey screamers and the "special" percussion section (I won't name them but their initials are Riptide, Biffachu, Roxanne and Rebecca).

Bring on more pics!!!!

Great night! Great performance! It was great to see everyone, (and I agree with Squid...more pictures!)

Tikiyaki was fantastic!!Good times for all in attendance.Thanks Wahooo for
taking all the pictures.What a night thats for sure.Great to see everyone.
Still have to teach the lame bar tenders how to make a real drink though.
Cheers,
Trader Bill

Great Night! This was actually my first time at the KONA (Sam's) and I think it is fantastic!
I really hope there will be more tiki events there in the future, and I am so thankful to the new owners for inviting us to be a a part of the change!

Tikiyaki was phenomenal as always! :) The drumming and bird calls echoed perfectly in the hidden village!
It all just felt so natural! :)

The food was excellent (ahi tuna on cold ginger sobe noodles, sweet potato fries)
The service was BEYOND excellent~I was really not expecting that, but I was pleasant surprise.
The drinks were. . .a work in progress, but I wouldn't call them 'Lame bartenders' as they were all very friendly and trying their best.
Tiki drink mixing is a strange and confusing world to be thrown into when you are used to serving beers and cape cods.
They just need to TRY a GOOD tiki drink and their eyes shall be opened and they will see the light!
Bartenders should always be allowed to taste their creations, just as fine chefs are. It's all about understanding flavors and quality control.

I have hope!

Viva La KONA!

~Suzy

Wow!!! I was blown away by the turn out,
Haven't seen that many tiki Peeps at a event since last years TikiOasis.
I was even able to talk about 10 or so of the surf crowd to it.

Tikiyaki was perfect,
there was a couple times, when I thought I was dreaming all of it,
and when I realized it was real, I got a bit teary eyed.

heres to and amazing night, and to hopefully many more.

oh and yeah I did over do it on the drinks, 5 was too many,
but all was kept down with some Breakfast up the street after at 1:30 am
Damn Dr. Z was there, but he wasn't handing out his hangover pills unfortunately. :(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-07-12 15:33, bigtikidude wrote:
Wow!!! I was blown away by the turn out,
Haven't seen that many tiki Peeps at a event since last years TikiOasis.
I was even able to talk about 10 or so of the surf crowd to it.

Tikiyaki was perfect,
there was a couple times, when I thought I was dreaming all of it,
and when I realized it was real, I got a bit teary eyed.

heres to and amazing night, and to hopefully many more.

oh and yeah I did over do it on the drinks, 5 was too many,
but all was kept down with some Breakfast up the street after at 1:30 am
Damn Dr. Z was there, but he wasn't handing out his hangover pills unfortunately. :(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I hate to "ditto" but yeah, It was an amazing night. Right on all for turning out what a crowd! course there were a few of us that were there till 2am... AAA to the rescue for Soccer Tiki Chris & his damn flat tire, bummer The owner got a $$$ noise ticket.. but no matter,...amazing! We jammed the joint, wall to wall, all rooms!

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2008-07-12 16:49 ]

TT

On 2008-07-12 15:33, bigtikidude wrote:
......"oh and yeah I did over do it on the drinks, 5 was too many,"...
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ha ha..5 was too many? try a lazy 12 mai tais.. empty wallet..nasty hangover... definately over did it on the drinks!! but I had a GREAT TIME!!!!!.. see you all when i check out of rehab...

T

Wow,

I'm still in shock from all those people showing up. Super big Mahalos to everyone , you made it a completely unforgettable night.

Crazy Al, That blessing was just awesome....Jeez, can he work a crowd or what ? Aloha Aloha Aloha : Mahalo Mahalo Mahalo !!!

Dibroc, Gary, Trader Tom...Thanx so much for helping with the gear. We couldn't have pullled that crazy stage move off without your help.

Big Tiki Dude, thanx for helping us dial in the sound as we were doing our set.

JoeBanks, thanx fo filming...can't wait to see it all.

Soccer Tiki and WooHoo, thanx for all the pix, woohooing, you guys always rally the troops - Thanx !

Jason Wickedly...Sorry you got bumped to the other dining room. I can't believe the main banquet room got completely booked.

Regarding the drinks. Sorry, if they weren't up to snuff. I gave them photocopied pages from the Grog Log to go by, but beyond that, I couldn't really do much else. All I can do is try.
I did heard some good reports on the drinks too. Maybe we need to just have Suzy be special guest mixologist for the next time we try something like that (notice I didn't say " guest bartender")

Either way, I'm grateful to Chuck, Chris and the entire staff at KONA, for making it happen.... I don't think they were quite ready for that turnout...frankly, neither was I, but it sure was a pleasant surprise.

The only thing I can complain about was those self righteous homeowners who feel the need call the cops to shut down a party at a 50 year old, commercially zoned venue for entertainment, because they bought a home 5 years ago behind the building.

Talk about a false sense of entitlement.

Can we all go egg and toilet paper their houses next Halloween ? I'll buy the eggs.

Anyway, You guys sure can get rowdy over an Exotica Band. It started to sound like a 1970 Grand Funk Railroad concert in there. :o

Thanx again for all the madness.....I had a frikken blast !

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-07-12 18:16 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-07-12 18:23 ]

T

Just give me the word and I'll send in a crack squad to take care of those pesky homeowner's eardrums... :)

TT

some wild scenes from Kona:

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 12, 2008 9:22 PM

Funny photos. That last one looked nice, so GROG fix a bit so it show up better.

On 2008-07-12 18:40, Tikigoob wrote:
Just give me the word and I'll send in a crack squad to take care of those pesky homeowner's eardrums... :)

Go for it.

I was thinking that these guys need to get fitted for some "shoes". I may have to make a few calls

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies