Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: introducing...the fuzzy mai-tai

Pages: 1 26 replies

Also known (by me) as the FIZZY MAI-TAI (my memory is a bit fuzzy).
Here goes:

1 can of Cactus Cooler soda (poured over lotsa rocks).
1 shot of coconut rum.
1 shot of spiced rum.
A few drops of lime juice.
A few drops of Maraschino cherry juice (or grenadine).

Garnish with Maraschino cherry, lime wedge, pineapple slice, umbrella, plastic monkey,etc.

Some of my friends have so cruely called this a "white trash Mai-Tai" or a "poor man's Mai-Tai"...but that's SO insulting to white trash and poor people.

ENJOY!

Cactus cooler is one thing, but coconut rum and spiced rum!!! Just because you're tiki-tortured is no reason to TORTURE TIKI! :D

Why call it a Fizzy Mai Tai?

S

Lime - Check
Good rum - Fail
Orange - Fail
Orgeat (or at least almond) - Fail
Use of Coconut rum - Fail
Use of Spiced rum - Fail
Use of Cactus Cooler - Unknown

You might as well call this a Fuzzy Manhattan, or a Fuzzy Sidecar, or a Fuzzy Sazerac - anything not to blemish the good name of Mai Tai.

To me, no hint of almond = not a Mai Tai.

Catcus Cooler Soda?

Do share please..... What does it taste like? What brand or brands are available? Where do you/can you get it?

Do you have a picture of this drink you can share? (Focus optional for you or the drink)

Can we suggest alternate names for your drink?

Broke Back Mai Tai?
Made with the effervescence of the Prickly Pair... :lol:

On 2008-07-01 09:25, Scottes wrote:
Lime - Check
Good rum - Fail
Orange - Fail
Use of Spiced rum - Fail

You might as well call this a Fuzzy Manhattan, or a Fuzzy Sidecar, or a Fuzzy Sazerac - anything not to blemish the good name of Mai Tai.

I get the impression that the term, "Mai Tai," is evolving into a synonym for "rum drink of any kind" rather than a special, shaken concoction containing multiple high-quality rums, orgeat, curaçao, rock candy syrup, lime, shaved ice, and a garnish of color, flavor, and aroma.

Flying discs tend to all be called "Frisbees"; facial tissues tend to all be called "Kleenexes"; cotton swabs tend to all be called "Q-tips"; ...

I guess we're headed toward a point where you can throw anything together with a couple of different rums and it's a "Mai Tai." :cry:

S

On 2008-07-01 11:35, The Gnomon wrote:
Broke Back Mai Tai?
Made with the effervescence of the Prickly Pair... :lol:

On 2008-07-01 09:25, Scottes wrote:
Lime - Check
Good rum - Fail
Orange - Fail
Use of Spiced rum - Fail

I get the impression that the term, "Mai Tai," is evolving into a synonym for "rum drink of any kind" rather than a special, shaken concoction containing multiple high-quality rums, orgeat, curaçao, rock candy syrup, lime, shaved ice, and a garnish of color, flavor, and aroma.

Flying discs tend to all be called "Frisbees"; facial tissues tend to all be called "Kleenexes"; cotton swabs tend to all be called "Q-tips"; ...

I guess we're headed toward a point where you can throw anything together with a couple of different rums and it's a "Mai Tai." :cry:

It does have a few drops of lime juice... Screw the usual abomination which calls for pineapple juice, let's get further down the road and replace that with canned soda... But where's out old friend the dark rum floater?

We can come up with a better "White Trash" Mai Tai can't we?

2 ounces of dark rum (Myers, Cruzan, whatever you can get)
1 pinch of lime Kool Aid powder
A few drops of vanilla extract
a pinch of orange kool aid powder
Blend on high with a handfull of ice.
Insert a sprig of mint or poke salad (baby poke weed only, the big stuff is poisonous, but, ya'll knew that didn't ya?)
Mmmm that's some good drankin there...

On 2008-07-01 10:50, Chip and Andy wrote:
Catcus Cooler Soda?

Do share please..... What does it taste like? What brand or brands are available? Where do you/can you get it?

Do you have a picture of this drink you can share? (Focus optional for you or the drink)

Can we suggest alternate names for your drink?

It's not that bad actually, but not something I'd drink on a regular basis.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2008 3:04 PM

Why go to all that trouble? How about...

the Cactus Cooler Volcano

1. Drink 1/2 can of Cactus Cooler
  2. Pour 6 oz. Vodka (any kind) into the can
  3. Shake
  4. Drink as it foams out the top!

the Cactus Cooler Volcano! YEEEEHAW!

We have Cactus Cooler in the soda machine here at work. I had no idea it was only a local phenomenon! Surprisingly, it's probably the best seller in the machine...never thought to mix it with rum though.

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2008-07-01 15:45 ]

G

Having just finished a hundred-dollar Mai-Tai and now reading this, I weap. :(

TP

On 2008-07-01 15:04, Cammo wrote:
Why go to all that trouble? How about...

the Cactus Cooler Volcano

1. Drink 1/2 can of Cactus Cooler
  2. Pour 6 oz. Vodka (any kind) into the can
  3. Shake
  4. Drink as it foams out the top!

the Cactus Cooler Volcano! YEEEEHAW!

What might work better, is instead of mixing it in the can. Poor them into a glass and slam the glass against a table. It should froth and taste very effervescently. It should give the same effect but work out better. Also I would use a doubles glass and go about half/half and drink the entire thing in one go.

Fine, be that way. You've "Poo-Pooed" my drink enough. I'm taking my (hi)ball and going home.

NONE of you are allowed to make my drink...which I've RENAMED the FUZZY TAI-MAI.

Boy, you guys are a tough crowd.

(VERY funny replies though)

Fine, be that way. You've "Poo-Pooed" my drink enough. I'm taking my (hi)ball and going home.

NONE of you are allowed to make my drink...which I've RENAMED the FUZZY TAI-MAI.

Boy, you guys are a tough crowd.

(VERY funny replies though)

On 2008-07-01 16:16, GatorRob wrote:

sucker!

(a can of Cactus Cooler costs 50 cents)

S

which I've RENAMED the FUZZY TAI-MAI.

Hmmm... As a Fuzzy Tai-Mai I just might try it...

:)

C

On 2008-07-01 16:53, tikitortured wrote:

On 2008-07-01 16:16, GatorRob wrote:

sucker!

(a can of Cactus Cooler costs 50 cents)

No one who likes a hundred-dollar Mai-Tai is a "sucker" unless you are referring to how the drink gets up the straw to my mouth.

100$ Mai Tai

P.S. A hundred-dollar Mai Tai actually costs less than $4 to make, the $100 is how much every thing to make it would cost if you had to buy it all in one trip to the liquor store. A 6-Pack of cactus cooler or a real Mai Tai, the decision is yours.

[ Edited by: captnkirk 2008-07-02 06:02 ]

On 2008-07-01 19:57, Scottes wrote:

which I've RENAMED the FUZZY TAI-MAI.

Hmmm... As a Fuzzy Tai-Mai I just might try it...

:)

I agree!

I was going to suggest a Fuzzy Tri-Mai for a name.... (get it Try My Fuzzy? ok, I thought it was funny even if you didn't)

Although I am still trying to find our more about this Cactus Cooler soda.... Is it really just a pineapple soda? Because I have a Goya brand flavor, think it would be close enough?

I don't think it matters what soda you use. The Jarritos Piña is really good.

I think we may have our next Wildsville attempt here.

On 2008-07-02 10:57, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:

That may be, but sometimes you just have to let the inner-Wildsville-Man out when you get behind the bar.

I mean, I take my cocktails seriously, but sometimes you just gotta remind yourself to not take it so seriously.

For example, I have a Astro-Naughty recipe that uses Tang and dry-ice that most people would run screaming from if I posted the recipe. If I pour you one, however, you will ask for a second and probably a third.

Basically, if it tastes good then it is a good cocktail.

S

On 2008-07-02 10:57, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:

I thought about that, too. So far, tikitortured has not called me a Talking Monkey. Yet.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Jul 2, 2008 1:16 PM

By the third round, it's all good...

OK, I've decided to let you all make my FUZZY TAI-MAI.
Go ahead and leave out the coconut rum and/or spiced rum and use your fancy schmancy $100 a bottle rums. You can even add some of that almond crap and other stuff so you feel like you're not coloring TOO FAR outside the lines of the Beachbum Barry or Trader Vic cocktail book. But DEAR GOD, just TRY the CACTUS COOLER!! It's a delicious beverage.
Ever hear of a "lawnmower beer"? Well think of this as a "lawnmower" Mai-Tai...especially if your lawn is Dichondra.

On 2008-07-02 06:47, Chip and Andy wrote:

Although I am still trying to find our more about this Cactus Cooler soda.... Is it really just a pineapple soda? Because I have a Goya brand flavor, think it would be close enough?

Check this out: http://www.retroland.com/pages/retropedia/food/item/6704/

[ Edited by: tikitortured 2008-07-02 16:26 ]

On 2008-07-02 16:25, tikitortured wrote:

On 2008-07-02 06:47, Chip and Andy wrote:

Check this out: http://www.retroland.com/pages/retropedia/food/item/6704/

[ Edited by: tikitortured 2008-07-02 16:26 ]

I would think using a combination of orange and pineapple sodas would duplicate it pretty well...in my opinion (and I drank one today!) it's way more orange than pineapple. Maybe a 2 parts orange to one part pineapple ratio? If Fanta is available in your area I know they make both flavors.

Pages: 1 26 replies