Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TONGA HUT ART SHOW/Tiki Mag Release/Ruzic's birthday--Aug.2,2008

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies

M
mieko posted on Wed, Jul 30, 2008 1:18 PM

More Pendants!!!

"Head" Only a few left - he's a limited edition of 25, and a lot of them are gone!

Manaia

Maori

Meiko...still need me a Manaia in Pink!

so this is sucky, been so busy making stuff, never got through the whole set up a credit card deal. I won't be able to take credit cards. Sorry if that puts anybody out.
Still crankin, going to glaze the last two pieces today, so there will be about 55 new pieces for the show. Have two pendant designs that i had sculpted, and finally getting around to molding, and still want to finish some paintings for the show. It will be some late nights, still have to take stilt marks off some of the ceramics, make a sign, finish figuring out how to display, etc. good times, been fun, looking forward to seeing it come together at the show.
Hope to see you there.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 30, 2008 7:37 PM

Thanks Mieko for posting photos of stuff you're bringing.

55 pieces Ocea Otica?!!! Somebody's been a BUSY little beaver, for sure.

Looking forward to seeing everybody, and all the art on Saturday and imbibing some drinks.

T

Happy Birthday LLT

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D HAPI BIRFDEY KINNY! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

thanks kids!
But,seeing as I'm not even gonna be there
you should direct your birthday wishes to the Ohana section
wouldn't want to tick off GROG and hijack his Tonga Hut thread.....
he hasn't had a nap today and is probably very cranky..... :lol:

H

Kinny, why aren't you going to be there?

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 31, 2008 11:27 PM

GROG just found this on Tobunga's thread. What an awesome print and a great price .If they are available at the art show on Saturday, than GROG is DEFINITELY going to grab one of these puppies. AWESOME job Tobunga.

Tobunga:
I was also working on a very cool project: a print for the Tonga Hut 50th Anniversary!

Here's a pic:

I wanted to feature elements distinct to Tonga Hut, so painted the 4-level fountain and the giant moai.

The finished piece is 11x14 giclee print, signed and numbered, limited to 50.
They're sized to fit in an 11x14 frame without matting, or you can mat it for a larger frame.

They're $35 each, and you can order through me, through paypal (as above, [email protected]) Price includes shipping.

I'll be receiving them this Thursday, and they will also be available at the Tonga Hut, probably starting on Friday, the 1st.

S

Can I have Kinny's cake?

throw cake.

not coming! gessshhhh............ throw poo then :lol:

T

Kirby is an element distinct to the Tonga Hut but hes not in the painting . Everytime Ive been there he distincts the place up .Oh , sorry Kirby .

The Tonga Hut painting is fricken beautiful! Plus, the approach feels vintage....great touch!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2008 9:02 AM

OK, tomorrow night (Saturday) is the night to come get your drink on, get your art fill, and have some fun at the Tonga Hut. Ana called and said she got DJ Lee coming to spin some tunes. GROG bringing Kinny's birthday cake, and hopefully GROG can remember to bring Tiki-Ray's poster he won many months ago, that GROG keep forgetting to bring.
GROG looking forward to seeing all the artists and TC Ohana. Thank you all in advance for supporting the Tiki artists and the Tonga Hut, which is celebrating it's 50th anniversary this year.

JB

Can't wait!

R

And that, my friends, is how you kill a thread! C'mon Ravenne! Redeem yourself! The price of redemption is one relevant piece of tiki art to be proudly displayed in your next post! You have thirty minutes.........this message will now self distruct!

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2008-08-01 22:04 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2008 11:11 PM

Ravenne, you've been hanging around Kinny too much. You've been corrupted. DAMN YOU KINNY!!!!! Another innocent soul destined for hell all because of YOU and your perverted,sick, and demented mind!!!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2008 11:12 PM

P.S. happy birthday Kinny.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2008 11:56 PM

SD

GROG WINS!

M
mieko posted on Sat, Aug 2, 2008 10:14 AM

Nice! Happy Birthday Kinny!!!

On 2008-08-01 23:56, GROG wrote:

Also, I will have a new pendant "premiering" tonight - first time on sale anywhere!
So new I don't even have pictures!!
His name is "Rua", which means 2 in Maori. :)

On 2008-08-02 10:14, mieko wrote:
Also, I will have a new pendant "premiering" tonight - first time on sale anywhere!
So new I don't even have pictures!!
His name is "Rua", which means 2 in Maori. :)

Are you cash only this evening, or will you be doing PayPal?

R

On 2008-08-01 23:56, GROG wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grog. Awesome. Forever.

H

I will be bringing a "special" guest with me.....No it's not Kinny.

BB

Sorry no prints available. :)

T

Dang, Bora Boris, I wish I had come up with THAT idea for the poster instead of a crummy old maori!

I'm on my way to Tonga Hut now! This show should be pretty awsome!

T
THOR's posted on Sun, Aug 3, 2008 9:02 AM

What a fun show last night!!! Thanks Grog for your organizational WIZdom!! I tell ya...Tiki people are absolutely the most amazingly refreshing kin folk you could ever hope for!! Thanks for the great support Nick...I am very honored to have such a focus like this issue. It makes me motivated to do this stuff till I croak!!

Oasis is less than two weeks away and I am soooo looking forward to it. I am making shrunken heads and voodoo pendants on the side as my spending, fun money so I can buy lots of awesome Tiki things and lay by the pool, sticky with Mai Tai's on my lips! My best to all the TC Ohana... See ya soon!

[ Edited by: THOR's 2008-08-03 09:03 ]

It was a great turn out last night. There were a bunch of nice pieces, and even nicer people. This was the perfect primer for TO!

Grog,
Thanks for the great show, and all the efforts to bring some light into the Tonga Hut. Met lots of nice folks and got to see some great art. It was amazing how many people could pack into that bar. I am very greatful for how supportive people were in my first effort at vending. A special thanks to Tiki Tony for helping me break down and pack my car to the ceiling at the end of the night. Kelly, you definitely picked the right bowl.
I look forward to being involved in another of your Tonga shows Grog.

WooHoo! Mucho Mahalo to Grog, The Tonga Hut Ohana, and all the Artists who helped to make this Event such a success. We can't wait until the next Tonga Hut Show.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 3, 2008 11:20 AM

And now for the thank yous.

A GREAT BIG thank you to EVERYBODY who came out to see the art, drink the drinks, and hang out. It was a great turnout, and a great show of support for the artists and the Tonga Hut. Thanks to all the artists for bringing all the great art and friendly smiles. Some of you artists and visitors made some pretty long trips to get here, and that was much appreciated. Thanks DJ Lee for coming and spinning some really fun tunes.Big thanks to Jeremy and Ana for hosting the event, and for bartenders for busting your humps trying to serve all the Tiki alcoholics some tasty libations.

This was a great start to a busy month of Tiki events here in southern California:
IN SEARCH OF TIKI exhibit at Forest lawn---starting August7.
The so-cal Bar crawl put on by Murph August 9 (International Tiki Day)
The Beach Burn in Huntington Beach also on August 9.
Bamboo Ben pre-oasis party and store closing with Ken Pleasant and Flounder August 14
Tiki Oasis August 14-17
Bongofury's Endless Summer @ The Rincon Room on August 30.
And Bosko's art is currently on exhibit at M Modern Gallery in Palm Springs.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-08-03 11:37 ]

BB

Thanks everyone I had a great time, here’s some pictures ~

New pendants at the Mieko store.

Thor’s corner store.

New issue at the Tiki Magazine store.

Hot stuff at the Tiki Tony store.

Trader Tom and a very thirsty Tiki Kate.

KreepyTiki stops by.

Tiki Kiniki and the Tonga Hut Moai.

Grog and Big Bro.

Squid, Polly and I practice our Sour Faces!

Big Bro, Tiki Tony and Martin from Australia.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2008-08-03 15:04 ]

Aloha, all!

Here's a pic of me with Tiki Mag's Nick Camara (minus the top of his head -- sorry! I didn't take the picture!) and the ever-dashing Thor!

(This new issue has my 6-page piece on BigBro, as well as an Artist-Of-The-Month cover article on Thor.)

The event was a blast!

Mahalos to all attending artists, the Tiki Ohana, and, of course, the Hut!

Cheers! :drink: :tiki:

I can't wait to go to the Tonga Hut this weekend!
.....OOPS!

Looks like y'all had fun!
Hope that retarded lookin cake was delicious! :)

Great show, great artists. I was there somewhere, shopping!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2008 9:29 AM

GROG think Squid not having much fun judging by this picture of him being molested by Soccertiki. GROG also overhear Tikitrav say that he dry-humped Squid's leg. So, GROG doubt we're going to see Squid show up at very many of these events. Unless he enjoyed being molested, then he'll be the first one to show up.

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2008 9:51 AM

Hello all,

Greg here saying Thank You to everyone who participated last Saturday evening at the Tonga Hut. I met some really fun people for the first time, drank a Mai Tai and a few Navy Grogs, talked technique with the artists...but I did have difficulty holding back $ and purchasing cool stuff - my God, did you see OceaOtica's amazing large red/orange ceramic volcanoes? (I'm saving $$ for San Diego guys and gals!).

I realize this Saturday was just a fraction of the excitement that Tiki Oasis promises to be in two weeks and I scream BRING IT ON! - I can do the social tiki thing all summer.

Thanks Grog for the organizing and last of all - THANK YOU Tonga Hut for hosting these cool events. It keeps working/living in the San Fernando Valley bearable.

Hau'oli piha makahiki, la ho'omana'o

TikiG

[ Edited by: TikiG 2008-08-04 09:54 ]

Just got some pics from the show downloaded.

Miles aka Evil Mastermind crafting a last minute Ocea Otica sign, Miles really busted out some crazy foamcore skills making large and teensy signage, and was just a great general support for my first outing

booth 90% set up

Boris gettin the ball rolling as the first to sign the new mailing list

my great friends who came to support, help, got shanghai-ed into watching the booth when i need to get some air. Special thanks to MOQ for tying all that raffia into small skirts to decorate. They had a great time, had plenty of cocktails, and picked up some Tiki Tony goods
Thanks again for such a great show! and to all the people that came over to see what i have been spending the last 2 months, sometimes 13 hours a day, working on.

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-08-04 11:25 ]

I am Sooooooooooo bald! :cry:

ya, sorry, my picture taking is not always keen, i chopped your head off, you didnt need that brain anyways did you?

Whats a brain?

TH

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for coming out to the Art Show on Saturday. Thank you Ernie! You did a great job putting it all together once again. Thank you to all the artists, Nick from Tiki Magazine, DJ Lee, our bartenders and all of you Tiki enthusiasts that have kept the Tonga Hut alive for 50 years. We appreciate your support and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Ana and Jeremy

T

I just wanted to give a big mahalos to all and especially Nick for covering me as the Featured Carver in this issue . It really meant a lot to me to be in the same issue as Thor, Holden and Sven .My head is still spinning and Im wagging my tail . In fact , Im happier than a puppy with 2 peckers . Thanks again Nick , Ray

TT

What a great night, thanks again GROG for your hospitality over the weekend and being gentle with me..

Was great to see everyone and a great little warm up for oasis..

I had a special present for Kinny which someone has a photo of, i'm sure kinny would have loved to be there to recieve it in person, but i guess there is always next time...

N

I'd like to thank Ana & Jeremy from the Tonga Hut and Grog for organizing such a fun event. Also, thanks to the TC Ohana (It was great to see so many friends), Tiki Mag contributors at the party (Kari, Paul, Tim, etc.). Also thanks to the Tiki Mag features in this issue (who were at the party) Sven, Tiki Ray, and Thor, who created the beautiful cover. See you at Oasis next week!!

Nick

G
GROG posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2008 12:20 AM

On 2008-08-04 18:24, Tiki Trav wrote:
I had a special present for Kinny which someone has a photo of, i'm sure kinny would have loved to be there to recieve it in person, but i guess there is always next time...

Here's Tiki Trav pulling out a pair of presents for your birthday Kinny.

And it was THIS guy's birthday, so we DID have one person at the Tonga Hut celebrating their birthday.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies