Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TONGA HUT ART SHOW/Tiki Mag Release/Ruzic's birthday--Aug.2,2008

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 5, 2008 10:22 PM

Last time I talked with Nick, he didn't mention anything about doing a limited edition print for Oasis, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. He was furiously trying to drum up advertising so he could get the next issue printed, so he was a bit preoccupied with that task.

The ankle is better. It's still swollen, and it's not as black and blue, but I'm still limping around like quasimodo.

"The bells! The bells!"

Thanks for asking.

T

Thanks again Grog for putting on another show! Can't wait to see Grog's paintings in the next show though!!!?

I'm hoping to have a new mug for Tiki Oasis and preview the Artist's proofs for the Tonga Hut. I'll have 8x10 ink pen drawings colored with watercolor pencils in carved frames. Also my new ceremic tiki necklaces painted with blue/green moss, carved signs, and some other Tiki Oasis previews!

I'll give some teaser photos like Ocea Otica is going to in the next week or so!

Just a reminder, we'll also be celebrating another fine issue of Tiki Magazine being put out there into the world! And if any of you have ever thought of advertising, please contact Nick at the magazine. Soccer Tiki advertises, and he's a mortgage broker! See? You don't have to own a Tiki business to advertise in Tiki Magazine. ANYONE can advertise. Except maybe specialty massage businesses. No, wait. We'll take your ads, too. Just put a strategically placed tasteful Tiki in your ad, and VOILA! Watch your business grow! (Boom? Whatever.... ) Anyway, Tiki Magazine's rates are unbelievably affordable and advertising really helps keep the magazine going. Thanks for your support! Aloha and see you on August 2nd! -- Kari Hendler

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 3:37 AM

Who is this guy?

You better raise one for my birthday too (close enough) - I'd love to be there, but I'll be too busy making stuff for other people to copy.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 10:47 AM

"3.14159265" Quote the raven never more.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 10:52 AM

GROG looking forward to seeing what you'll have at the art show Antonio de la Tiki. GROG heard you just married recently. Congratulations to you both. Much happiness.

This looks to be one fantastic show! Boy, oh boy, would I like to be there. The Maikai Gents (that's my band) have shows both days that weekend and they're both private and not even within 450 miles of the Tonga Hut show, so don't anybody get any ideas about trying to find us and skipping out on the art show, in fact, you're not invited!! (How's that for covering my ass, don't nobody accuse me of highjacking this thread!) There is a slim chance I could fly down after the Saturday performance to meet, greet and spend every penny earned from the gig on artistic excellence, then fly back the next morning fresh as a rum-soaked daisy for our Sunday event. Hmmm... you all know how to tease a guy. I'm getting an itchy southwest.com trigger finger. Maybe I'll see you there!

-Weird Unc

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 4:35 PM

We'll have some Paipo knock-offs to sell you.

N

Yeah...I have been looking for an excuse to get back over to the Tonga Hut!! Thanks Grog!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 4:09 PM

GROG figure GROG should do a nicer flyer than the generic black and white one on page one.

H

Nice job Grog, I like it.

yea same here very kool promo .

ok Grog the show is all spamed up on myspace.. now, ya wanna piss BTD off? tell him all Surf Bands sound the same :roll: Tiki tOny are you married yet?? :lol:

p.s. Kinny? Leo's rock baby! That's right it's your B.D. Let's celebrate, I'll buy you a drink if you buy me one ... wait, can't we just sponge off the crowd, wear little "Hello it's my Birthday Buttons" see if there will be gifts? stuffed money cards? maybe hit up a nude wrestling show after the Tonga or maybe just add it to the Tonga program... :blush:

S
squid posted on Wed, Jul 9, 2008 1:10 AM

On 2008-07-08 16:09, GROG wrote:

GROG figure GROG should do a nicer flyer than the generic black and white one on page one.

WOW. That's really nice. Now that makes me think, shouldn't GROG be in GROG's art show? And if he isn't, why the hell not? Maybe GROG need to stop monkeying with Photoshop for countless hours on GROG's antique Mac and just whip out the brushes and go to town. Screw technology. Get busy.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 9, 2008 1:16 AM

You underestimate the extent of GROG' laziness.

But you whipped up that wonderful oil painting of the entrance in no time! :D
I am not gonna say I'll be there, but...

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 9, 2008 12:58 PM

Thomas KINNYkade?

Don't forget to wish Grog a HAPPY BITCHDAY and buy him a drink that night.

R

B

oh my god, its BIG BABY JESUS! (doesnt anyone else remember that Ol' Dirty Bastard was gonna change his name to BBJ???)

is that a bottle of Jim Beam in his hand??

nice one Miss Rav

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 10, 2008 12:43 PM

That's pretty funny Photoshopping there, Ravenne. Putting my head on Clysdale's body---well-done.

Happy Bitchday Ernie!
:lol:

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 10, 2008 2:36 PM

On August 2nd we'll have to bitch-slap you Kinny for your Bitchday.

I wanted to put together a nice one shot teaser photo, but alas photoshop is being cranky and won't open. So here are pics of just some of the pieces i will have for the show. All told, hope to have about 45-50 new things, almost all 1 offs or customs. And Photobucket blows, used there editing set up to crop, rotate and shrink, applied and saved the images, and still ended up with the unedited pics. I hate computers!**********okay, this morning at least got the photos cropped and rotated thru another program, but still could not shrink them. Colors seem a bit muted and flat in all the pics, but guess thats why coming to see them in person is a good thing

pictured, Lava Bowl, this is the medium sized bowl, I will have various cast and cast/handbuilt lava and volcano bowls. Each is individual

the last 5 Tumbuna greenware i had saved for this show, all intricately detailed

pictured, Swag Chunk lamp mug #1, will have a few more of these one off cast/hand built mugs. there will be different shapes, colors, some with "hanging lamp base" which makes it like a goblet, perfect for Blood and Sands

pictured Zombini, one of the one off Zombie mugs

Torembis, last of the greenware i had saved for a show. mold was destroyed in 07.

Time allowing hopefully will also have a painting or two as well. Hope to see you there!

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-07-13 09:54 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 15, 2008 8:34 PM

Thor will be there along with Tiki Magazine, so pick up a mag and get him to sign the cover.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-07-15 20:35 ]

That . . . . Is . . . . Awesome!!!

Man, can that THOR guy paint!

Great cover THOR and Tiki Magazine!

Can't wait to see all these talented artists at the TONGA! :drink:

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 15, 2008 11:20 PM

Just between us.... the image is actually flopped. Tiki Mag flopped the image because the logo, UPC symbol, etc. fit better with it flopped. GROG not sure if Thor has even seen it flopped, yet (that's what happens if you don't check your emails regularly).

It IS a very nice cover. You're right Atomikitty, that Thor guy sure can paint!

B

Cass, Your glaze work is just exceptional on these pieces! 50 new for the show - that's a lot of work. YOU ROCK!

AWESOME COVER THOR!
i wanna live there!

N

Grog,

Checked with Thor. He's cool with the flipped image. Tiki Mag trivia: After this issue comes out, what are the 2 covers of Tiki Magazine that feature flipped art work?

Thor and ?????

Nicktiki

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 16, 2008 9:04 AM

Hey! GROG know the answer to that one. If someone can guess, do they win anything that they can pick up at the Tonga Hut art show?

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-07-16 09:04 ]

On 2008-07-16 09:04, GROG wrote:
Hey! GROG know the answer to that one. If someone can guess, do they win anything that they can pick up at the Tonga Hut art show?

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-07-16 09:04 ]

Besides syphilis?

Tiki Tony!
Can we receive our prize posthumously?

T

Wow, How did you know that LLT and Grog? I wish I could live in Thor's paintings.

HipHip... yup yup, finally tied the nautical knot! I'm hoping to have a little tourist for you at the Tonga Hut!

Awesome work Ocea... glaze work looks amazing!

Congrats Tony!
Happy Wedding Bliss to you and your wife!
Honeymoons are where you discover
there's things that are funner than painting!
Much Joy and Happiness to you two!

B

dang...this makes 3 art shows i need to attend that night!

this looks like my favorite tho.

congrats on the cover, Thor!

and Ocea, i need that zombie!!

Alohas!

Toe-bone

O

What a great cover! Congrats to Thor and Nick.

started a thread under other crafts, starting to slowly post more pics of stuff i will have for the show. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29143&forum=18&0
Look forward to the show, and to being finished with all the pieces i am working on!

T

Thanks for the great feedback!! Frankly..I am sick of my own art and can't wait to see the amazing other creations at this show created by my friends! SOOOO much talent out here. By the by...I am spending a few weeks to make some fun extra stuff for Oasis. I will have several shrunken heads like last year, but they went fast. If anyone knows for sure they want one reserved..please tell me. See ya at the Tonga hut!!

K
KuKu posted on Sun, Jul 20, 2008 7:57 AM

On 2008-07-20 06:55, THOR's wrote:
Thanks for the great feedback!! Frankly..I am sick of my own art and can't wait to see the amazing other creations at this show created by my friends! SOOOO much talent out here. By the by...I am spending a few weeks to make some fun extra stuff for Oasis. I will have several shrunken heads like last year, but they went fast. If anyone knows for sure they want one reserved..please tell me. See ya at the Tonga hut!!

Gee Tom, I couldn't imagine growing tired of your art. What makes me sick is not being able to afford more of your originals but the 3 we do own are cherished and gazed at daily in our home. Wish we could make it down to L.A. for the show but alas, must work to save for more THOR's...
Keep up the GREAT work!!!

Two pages before...

On 2008-07-12 18:58, OceaOtica wrote:
So here are pics of just some of the pieces i will have for the show.

Cass, somehow your image-rich post unjustly got buried under all the Thor adulation....What fine detailing and glaze work, you are a true Tiki maniac! I love the dotted effect, especially when it's white on black, and that Volcano bowl is a glaze miracle! And that chunky resin lamp mug, what an insider concept! Next: Clear glass chunks in there? :)

Looking forward to seeing your wares in person.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-07-20 10:34 ]

Sven,
Thank you for the compliments. I had doing these chunk swag lamp mugs in the ol book of ideas ever since i got my first lamp. over the last year or so i have asked questions and done a little research on the glass fusing, but so far it has led me to believe it cant be done for a mug. As the glass heats in the kiln, it can slide of the surface of your piece. even if i made them panels instead of sitting on the outside, there is a good chance they will slump. The main problem is, and i may be corrected here, that the colored glasses you can use for slumping are heavily leaded, and even the glue, or the specific frit, is not food safe. Might try it someday, but it would have to be a display only piece. But, when i get back to making lamps again, i am going to do some glass panel work.
I am jabberin my jaw too much ( i am as much of a ceramics geek as i am a cocktail geek).
Thanks Sven, hopefully we will see you at the show!
p.s., been having fun sculpting the zombie mugs. that early tropical cocktail icon really has unlimited possibilities. fun to explore.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 20, 2008 3:43 PM

Yes Cass, GROG looking forward to seeing your stuff in person. They look great in the photos. All the artists are doing some reallly nice stuff. It's going to be a strong show. So Sven, you should definitely try and make it to this one.

On 2008-07-16 10:37, BigToe wrote:
dang...this makes 3 art shows i need to attend that night!

this looks like my favorite tho.

congrats on the cover, Thor!

and Ocea, i need that zombie!!

Alohas!

Toe-bone

Hey Big Toe,
just don't mention where you are going besides this event.,
or you will get ripped a new one.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 22, 2008 12:12 AM

Dean Cornwell won't be showing art at the Tonga Hut (he's dead), but GROG found this neat old coca cola illustration, and thought you guys might enjoy it.

And GROG also found a 1958 Grape-Nuts ad that looks like a young Suzy (Atomikitty) and her mother.

Neither of these pieces will be there, but we will definitely have some other great art, tasty drinks, and fun times onSaturday, August 2, so be sure and mark your calendars. You don't want to miss this one.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-07-22 00:13 ]

I'm excited about this show! Lots of new art to see. OceaOtica your off the hook dude!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies