Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Mag's Tiki Island-Planet Rooth Closing Show October 11th

Pages: 1 2 3 4 173 replies

N

Aloha everyone,

Just wanted to announce the 2nd annual Tiki Magazine art show. This year it is called Tiki Island Lands on Planet Rooth. The Planet Rooth Studio Gallery is located at 3811 Ray St. San Diego, CA 92104. The gallery will be celebrating their 7th anniversary with our art show. The art show's opening night will be September 13th and its closing will be October 11th. Those nights are both Saturdays. The show times are from 6-11pm both days. We have an impressive list of artists for the show. Also, a limited edition Tiki mug by Tiki Farm will be available that was designed by the Headhunter and sculpted by Squid. Check the attached poster of the show for more info. Hope to see everyone there.

Nick

[ Edited by: nicktiki 2008-09-25 14:11 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 7:24 PM

Buy the mug :wink: and get the Print :)

Nice! An art show that's not in L.A. I can make that.

ill be thereee

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 9:37 PM

Cool! I didn't know Gustaf was a Tiki Dude!

T

That friggin poster makes my head spin . Great job Hassan !

Really excited to be a part of this show and I am planning to be there for either the opening or closing!

Hoping to get a bit of surfing in also! :wink:

Working through the prelims of some brand new pieces specifically for this event!

S
squid posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 10:52 PM

Brilliant poster, Hassan!!!!

Well Nick finally talked me into doing an original or 2 for this show. Plus, Baï and I are cooking up a limited edition print just for the occasion. And I might just have a couple of 3-d surprises. Looking forward to hanging (art show humor) with all these fine artistes!

um, uh... oh nevermind.
:(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Aw Man.

I'm playing lead guitar with the Irri-Tones that night. Why do you always have to plan these events on nights when I have a gig?

Sabu

BB

S

Nice, finally another art show in San Diego, missed it last year as we were in Maui.

Can't wait to see what these artists cook up!

Now that is Hilarious Boris,
and not Hurtful and spiteful Like Grog's photshop.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

YAY!
Great poster Hassan!
This is gonna be AWESOME!
We gonna Raise the ROOTH!
WOOP! WOOP!

S

im really honored and stoked to be a part of this event! cant wait to see all of the great stuff!

B
BigToe posted on Wed, Jul 9, 2008 4:25 PM

WOW amazing line-up!

cant wait to see the show!

T

Nick - I applaud your choice of evenings for the receptions. :wink:

On 2008-07-09 17:52, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Nick - I applaud your choice of evenings for the receptions. :wink:

Kate, does that mean you don't have a Chop to go to?

well there is a surf band from Japan,
that regrouped after breaking up, just to come and play here for us.
so hmmmmmm what should I do,

no choice about it.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

N

26 days away, should be a great show. Also, first 50 people in attendance get the Appleton mug free and can buy the Headhunter/Squid mug from Tiki Farm. Hope to see you there.

Nick

September is just right around the corner :)

Humphries http://www.halfmooninn.com has "Special Room Rates" for this event. Just mention Tiki Magazine Rate when making your reservation

Shipping a big box out Thursday!

finally got the pieces done for the show!
Do i have time for ONE more?
hmmmmmmmm....
Thanks Nick for handling all the icky logistical stuff!
You are SUCH an ASSET to this community!
This is gonna be a GREAT show!

Oh Boy!
Mere days away!
I shipped my paintings out yesterday. Now all I got to do is ship myself there too!
Aloha!

16 pounds of carved goodies went out this morning in a 12 x 12 x 36 box.

:tiki: Here's hoping the gods watch over it and it all safely makes it the 2123.21 miles to San Diego! :tiki:

I'll be right behind it shortly thereafter!

Mahalo again to Nick and Planet Rooth for putting the event together!

Can't wait!

T

Im very excited about this show as I was last year . Once again this is going to be a mindblowing event . Last year was great on opening night and it set the bar for all to outdo themselves on this years show because of all the tiki talent in one spot at one time . Someone I care for a lot could not make it last year and it still haunts me that they werent there but is going to be there on on my arm this year . I have been sober for almost 7 years and that last show was blazing through me like I was drunk on art . Every artist there did their best to just show what they do best and enjoy so much but then we all had to pack up at the end of the night. By dawn , no one could tell how great the times were for all just hours before .
Nick really set the tone last year by having Hassan do the poster and I was honored to recreate the poster tiki which was not easy . Well , Hassan outdid himself again .I looked at that poster tiki for this show and it intimidated me ....hahaha .Im bringing 2 pieces . I was carving the 2nd one at Tiki Oasis and its almost done now .
If you missed some shows this year and regret it, make sure this is the one you hit .Even if the art wasnt there ,the quality of tikiphiles from all over is enough to get you to Planet Rooth . If they dropped a bomb on the gallery that night, Tiki Central would have nothing to talk about . I hope to see you ALL at the show and please remember to bring a camera . There is never enough pics for an event like this . The show runs for a month this time so we can all revisit it . So get your asses there wiki wiki and enjoy , Ray

Ray, that Tiki you did last year was really amazing - one of the best I've ever seen! I wish I had the bucks and could have made it my own. Can't wait to see what you have this year!

Thank you sir . Its one thing to create your own tiki but to recreate someone like Hassans and even your tikis in 3D form puts a lot of pressure on me to make truly proportional. Just doing the math by changing scale as best you can hurts my cranium . And then to put it in a room and have all you guys pick it apart . No thanks . Thats why I backed off Hassans new poster tiki . I can carve the tiki but if you look at all the rippled effects he put on the side of it , it was just better to leave it as is ...hahahahaha. This year Im doing something completely different but I hope you like it just the same . See you there and I cant wait to see your work as well , Ray

G
GROG posted on Fri, Aug 29, 2008 8:20 PM

Well, Hassan's design didn't scare Squid. He carved that baby into a mug for Tiki Farm for Nick to sell at the show.

B

well, Squid scares me...no one is THAT good without having some kind of deal with the dude down in the hole.

RH

THIS ONE IS GONNA BE BIG!

I've pushed myself so far past my own limits for this, I'm taking a break to recover.

Brother Nick is aiming square at the history books....

WooHoo! Only 12 more days :)

BUMP!
only 8 more days!
Look to the Skies!

Best wishes Nick! I'll be driving full speed thru death valley directly from the Peppermill in an attempt to make the openning! A fine selection of artists.

Ah! Hodad is in full Fear and Loathing Mode!

He should make a stop by Bahooka's on his way to Tiki Island. :)

So. . . anyone wanna stop Little Lost Tiki from showing up a day early, or should we just roll with it. . .

9 days dude, 9 DAYS. Believe me, I need every minute to get my super secret atomic paintings ready for this show!

Anyone wanna teaser? . . . :wink:

Can't wait to see you all in SD for this awesome show!

Thanks again Nick and Tiki Magazine!

VIVA ATOMICA!

~Suzy

M
Murph posted on Thu, Sep 4, 2008 5:10 PM

Anyone wanna teaser? . . . :wink:

Yes!

Whoops, not sure that sounded right :D

[ Edited by: Murph 2008-09-04 17:12 ]

This is going to be a great gathering of artists and fans! I'll be there, camera around my neck! Is there going to be any kind of after-after party? I know... but too much of a good thing is WONDERFUL!

-- Kari

Or... is there going to be any kind of "morning-after" Tiki-artist breakfast gathering in San Diego? (And no, Nick, I'm not suggesting you whip up pancakes for all of us at your house!) I'm just wondering how many of us are going to spend Saturday night down there. Man, you would have thought I'd had enough partying after The Hukilau AND Tiki Oasis, but noooooo! Anyway, I'm just putting the "idea" out there. Run with it, if you are so inspired.

On 2008-09-04 20:06, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
Or... is there going to be any kind of "morning-after" Tiki-artist breakfast gathering in San Diego? (And no, Nick, I'm not suggesting you whip up pancakes for all of us at your house!) I'm just wondering how many of us are going to spend Saturday night down there. Man, you would have thought I'd had enough partying after The Hukilau AND Tiki Oasis, but noooooo! Anyway, I'm just putting the "idea" out there. Run with it, if you are so inspired.

Who's all planning on staying in San Diego for the weekend??Do I hear Room Party?? No Best Dressed Room Contest!! :wink: (SoccerTiki and I have a room at Humphries Friday through Sunday)

N

The Bali Hai and Humphrey's have good brunches. If anyone is interested, I'd like to join you guys.

Nick

Sunday Champagne Brunch at Bali Hai

Snow Crab Clusters

Prime Rib
Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi
Smoked Salmon

"Peel and Eat" Shrimp

Tortellini Alfredo
Hawaiian French Toast
Scrambled Eggs
Fritatta
Sausage and Bacon

Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Salmon Wellington with shoyu butter
Fried Rice
Roasted Rosemary Potatoes

Omelette Station

Spinach Salad with Hoisin Dressing
Caesar Salad
Sour Cream Dill Potato
Tortellini
Seasonal Seasonal Fresh Fruit
Lomein Noodle Salad
Apple Salad
Hawaiian Slaw

Croissants, Danish, Muffins, Eclairs
Pineapple Upside-down cake

24.95 per person***

Buffet served from 10:00 am. until 2:00 pm

Reservations suggested (619) 222 - 1181

*** Parties of 8 or more in the main dining room, sales tax and a 18%
gratuity will be added.

Thanks, Woohoo, for the menu! Sounds great. (Oink!) Still not sure if I'll be staying overnight, but if I am, I'll join up with all of you. Let's all keep in touch about this -- maybe make a group reservation at the Bali Hai for Sunday and see where this goes?? Room party sounds like fun, too, if ANYONE wants to do that. The show reception ends at 11 p.m., so maybe a pre-show room party might be better? Once again, here I am, stirring things up, when all I know for certain is that I'll be at the art show, photographing it!!

Countdown...One more week... WOOHOO!!!

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Sep 6, 2008 9:23 AM

TT

On 2008-09-06 09:23, teaKEY wrote:

Wow LLT.. This is the best painting you have done in ages...!

N

A week to go. Have art coming in from all over. Tiki Shark from Hawaii, Artosaurus from Michigan, Robb Hamel from Ohio, the Headhunter from Florida, Swampfire from Arizona, the lovely Bai from France, Steve Griffin (Hawaiian Dick comic book artist) from Australia, Lake Surfer from Wisconsin, local San Diego artists Bosko, Geo, Gustaf Rooth, Benjamin Lavender, Malae Togafau from Hawaii but now in SD, and Dave Warshaw who's proven he can rock (If you were at Tiki Oasis you saw the Creepy Creeps rock the place) but is also an excellent artist in many mediums. We have SoCal represented well. In addition to the SD artists, we have Crazy Al, Dawna Hammond, Atomikitty, Little Lost Tiki, Squid, Tiki Ray, and Tiki Tony. We have also added as late additions (we didn't know if they would available when we made the poster), the very talented Heather Watts by way of Canada and the OC's Big Toe. There are supposed to be reporters from the different entertainment papers there as well as KUSI TV news. We're expecting a big crowd! Its also Ray At Night which is a big deal without a Tiki art show. This should make it even bigger. The first 50 people get the very limited Appleton mug from Tiki Farm. Also, be the first to get the Headhunter designed limited edition mug for the event. Its a week away and I'm pretty fired up. Looking forward to seeing all of you there. Starts at 6pm.

Aloha,

Nicktiki

M

I'm not going to be able to make the reception, but I'll be in San Diego on Sunday the 21st. Will they be open and what hours?

The week can't go by quick enough until I get on that big metal bird heading west.

I'm really looking forward to seeing all the great art and meeting the talent behind the art.

And being a part of this great show!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 173 replies