Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Mag's Tiki Island-Planet Rooth Closing Show October 11th

Pages: 1 2 3 4 173 replies

On 2008-09-06 09:23, teaKEY wrote:

Hmmmm this pic eerily reminds me of that "wonder wall" that was posted but quickly removed a few months back????

H

I should make this show. Gonna be saweeetet!

im gettin stoaked for this!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

RH

llt appears to also be stoked.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 8, 2008 8:35 AM

LLT is always toked.

huh?
i don't get it....
Anyways...Nick forgot to mention the best part of this show...
FREE ALIEN PUPPIES from PLANET ROOTH!
with purchase...

here's a few from our selection...

:)

B
BigToe posted on Mon, Sep 8, 2008 1:49 PM

Thanks for opening the wall-space for me, Nick!!

i am extra excited to see that Heather Watts has been added to the line-up. Nice to inject a little Canadian Class to the mix.

MMMMM puppies. i like em bar-b-qued and served with Louisiana Hot-sauce...the little googled-eyed ones taste the best.

i am cranking away on a new painting that MAY make the show. i know, coy little temptress aren't i?? tee hee.

[ Edited by: BigToe 2008-09-08 13:51 ]

TT

Stopped by the ROOTH today to check it out and I can see a big turn out
after at the Pink Elephant Bar around the corner (which have a signature Munktiki Mug and great drinks), the gallery is small and this turnout is gonna spill into the parking lot, the street, the roof, drains, dumpsters, gardens etc... The Rooth Gallery really won't know what hit it as the neighbouring galleries also have shows on the same night..
Don't shy away from this event but be prepared for some mayhem!

Yup, went by today and the poor guy had no idea what he was in for. Good thing we came in and warned him!!

Tiki Sharks art is already in and looks even more amazing in person. He's the Rembrandt of Tiki, man.

The streets of SanDiego will be awash in Talent and Creativity on Saturday night!
Three more days!
here's a sneak peek collage of the 4 pieces I'll be bringin..

3 more dayzzz!!

N

Its almost here......................

Wish we could be there..... great art and people. Who knows....maybe sneak aboard the tiKiTonY freNch frY machine. Hey Nick.....we moved our party for ya & you couldn't make it up....WTF?

Mautiki,

As far as gallery hours, I spoke with the gallery owner and he says to call (619) 297-9663. The gallery is open from time to time during the week but the best bet is to make an appointment. He says its not appointment only, but appointment gladly.

Bongofury,

I know lame. I wish I could've went to your party. You and Mickey are the best. My excuse was my wife is teaching school again and somebody had to watch the kids (ages 4 and 2) while she was working in her classroom. If I would've said I was going to Ron and Mickey's party in Ventura, I would've been on the other end of a severe beatdown. I can't go to Squid's retrospective either, which should be very cool. But, she does let me do a lot other stuff.

Anyways,

The show is almost here. Hope to see everyone there.

Nick

[ Edited by: nicktiki 2008-09-11 14:45 ]

Okay, that's it... I'm finding cheap airfares and haulin' ass out to the coast.

Robb,
you should fly down to the coast to see the show. If would come to the same price as shipping your art.
When I did the Freakout show I had problems fitting your box in my car and when I opened it,it took me 45 min to take the packing and rap off of it!!!!!!THAT HAD TO COST A PRETTY PENNY!!!!!!

Great stuff Robb,

Good luck Nick,I will be coming down Tue/Thursday to San Diego for a mini-vacation and checking it out.
Hope to have a cocktail with ya!!!!!!!!! DIG?

Okay, I'm still not sure if I'll be spending Saturday night down there, but just wanted to know if there has been any update on any possible room parties, pre or post gallery show gatherings, whatever!

Otherwise, I'll just see you all at the gallery on Saturday night! I'll be taking photos of you all, so LOOK SHARP!

-Kari Hendler

On 2008-09-11 21:35, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
Okay, I'm still not sure if I'll be spending Saturday night down there, but just wanted to know if there has been any update on any possible room parties, pre or post gallery show gatherings, whatever!

A lot of people are planning on going to Bali Hai Saturday Night after the show :)

The Bali Hai after party? Cool!
Well, Old Man Parker here, and I'm just doing the last minute pack up, and heading to the Kona air port... then, it's a plane off this volcanic rock for the main land! I'm arriving 2 nite in LA, then driving driving driving, ( past more cars and freeway traffic then I've seen in a year!!!) to crash at LLT's art pad. (Mooch-o-rama!!!) "Thanks Ken!"
Next day, on the way down to SD, we's gonna swing by La guna and check out the Juxtapoz art exhibit. It's got some major low brow pieces up top gawk at. Ryden's "Creatrix", Williams "In the Land of Retinal Delights", and Schorr's new King Kong piece. None of which I've ever seen in person - so I'll have to borrow a pair of depends from the OLD guy downstairs for when I wet my self in awe!

See you Saturday nite at Planet Rooth Studio Gallery!!!!

(Hopefully I will have changed my pants by then)

~ Old Man Parker

Aloha~
So, these here pictures by Old Man Parker will be at da show:

Moon of Manakoora

Forbidden Island

The Proprietor

Tiki of the Blue Pool
There'll be there, that is, lessen they got all smashed in shipping. Guess we'll fined out Saturday!

Aloha Nui~

grandpa can paint!

;D

B

O-M-G! i am giddy about seeing those paintings by Mr. Parker!! and to fawn sycophantically at his feet!

here are some lil' teasers of my brand-spankin-new paintings:

come on down and buy some damn art!

see y'all down there! t

TT

One more sleep!

For those of you staying at Humphrey's Soccertiki, Al-ii, Hiphiphula and I are already here. Soccertiki and I have a Stage View Suite, Room 219. Alan Parsons Concert tonight & Air Supply with Christopher Cross tomorrow night. WooHoo!! LOL Hope to see you soon :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-09-12 20:42 ]

TT

My Mother would love that gig...

WooHoo! Alan PArsons Encore:
vocal - eric woolfson)

Dont think sorrys easily said
Dont try turning tables instead
Youve taken lots of chances before
But Im not gonna give anymore
Dont ask me
Thats how it goes
Cause part of me knows what youre thinkin

Dont say words youre gonna regret
Dont let the fire rush to your head
Ive heard the accusation before
And I aint gonna take any more
Believe me
The sun in your eyes
Made some of the lies worth believing

Chorus:
I am the eye in the sky
Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules
Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind
And I dont need to see any more
To know that
I can read your mind, I can read your mind

Dont leave false illusions behind
Dont cry cause I aint chnaging my mind
So find another fool like before
Cause I aint gonna live anymore believing

its today!! one of my buddies wants to see what the tiki scene is about so im bringing him in hopes to convert another tikiphile

WoooHooo! I've almost recovered from last night!!! Humphries went off!!! Can't wait to see the show tonight... We'll be there at 6pm. If anyone's hanging out at Humphries today, check the pool for WooHoo, Al-ii, HipHipHula and yours truly..

This is one of my first black velvet painting so far. 2 years ago Gecko gave me a black velvet painting that his Uncle Leo did of my Tabou Tiki room mug. That was my first time having a black velvet in front of me to stare at for hours, which sparked my interest. Bongofury has been bugging me for even longer to do a black velvet painting, which he has an amazing collection of wahines. But it wasn't until seeing Heather Watts black velvets (I bought one) at Tiki Oasis this year which finally inspired me to unroll the black velvet I had sitting in my closet for over 2 years to paint on. Finally getting to use all those lighting techniques I learned in my countless drawing classes in art school, I feel like I'm finally able to capture the world I see in my head with black velvet. I'm trying to come up with a more definitive name for this monkey, for now its Coco, because that is what Alene called him.

I'm currently mapping out the world he lives in, the friends he has, the enemies he steers clear of, and the things he creates. Tonight, he lazily drifts down a swampy river lit only by the stacked skulls aflame. Fireflies vibrate as they fluctuate their glow from dark to bright. His toucan friend has gone to bed but is beginning to worry.

Sticking to the Beachcomber environmentalist path, the frame is made from my old surf racks that I made for my veggie oil wagon. They were splitting and I kept imagining my 11 foot surfboard flinging off my roof on the freeway as my racks splintered, so I decided to make some heftier racks with carved tapa designs in them.

If Fed Ex came through, this should have touched down at Planet Rooth yesturday!

well the time has finally come!
Here's to good friends,
Tonight is kind of special.
The beer we'll pour
must say something more, somehow.
So tonight (tonight),
Tonight,
Let it be Löwenbräu (let it be Löwenbräu).
It's been so long.
Hey, I'm glad to see ya.
Raise your glass.
Here's to health and happiness.
So tonight (tonight),
Let it be all the best.

ill see all of yous tonight at thee event! fink about it'

Tony, that is my new favorite painting by you .

Can't wait to see everyone! Try and carpool people. It's gonna be a zoo!
Anyone interested in a Finknik supporter shirt let me know and I'll bring 'em to the show with me. (Not trying to ride the show's coat tails, just trying to be convenient to a few who have asked.)
Cheers.

LT

Wow, that painting is awesome!

RIGHT ON, tOny! That painting is terrific~

Hope everybody has some fun tonight @ Planet Rooth- wish we were there!

Andy

WooHoo & Mucho Mahalo to Nick & All the Artist who put all their time & effort into to making this show so Tikki-rrific!!! Tiki-ray surprised everyone with another one of his Spectacular Creations. I will post pic tomorrow :)

Quoted from Air Supply, "You're every Tiki in the world to me... Your my reality.. your everything to me..." LOL :)

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2008-09-14 08:16 ]

Hey Tony thats a ROCKIN PIECE WOWWWWWWWW . VERY NICE

radd stuff tonight!! way to pull off round 2 nick! thanks to all the artists who had their art in the show, and thanks tiki trav for the kick ass ska comp. cd! it has a good home!

Tiki Tony, did you get my cellphone movie? Your black velvet sold!

What a great turnout! Even the lure of the nearby "Air Supply" concert couldn't drag anyone away! (I'm JOKING, people!)

Headhunter (Hassan Patterson) debuted his very first mug (put out by Tiki Farm, and a VERY LIMITED edition, I might add). The art was all wonderful and varied, and the whole block was pedestrian-only. All the galleries on the block were open, and there was music as well as good nearby bars and restaurants. A very festive event! Oh, and I was extremely happy to find out that another benefit to my new Prius (besides the gas mileage) is that it can easily fit a fabulous five-foot, Dawna Hammond-carved Tiki in the back. (I wonder if they want to use that in their next advertising campaign? "Great gas mileage/hauls big Tikis") -- Kari

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2008-09-14 14:23 ]

That was an awesome event! The art was amazing, it was a fun atmosphere.... and the drinks were tasty around the corner at the Pink Elephant! (accept for the on that was dropped, of course - ugh!). It was also nice meeting a lot of you for the first time. My brother and I will be coming to more events (especially ones in the SD area). Now as for my girlfriend... that may take a little convincing every now and then, haha.

Thanks for immortalizing me with a pic on here WooHooWahine... I now feel like a true member tiki central!

T

Hey Woohoo , you cut my tiki in half . Heres the only full size pic I have of it .

I hope you like it .

Unfortunately, I missed opening night (which sounded like a blast) and was wondering if there were any more mugs left, or if they all sold out. I'm gonna try and hit it up as soon as I get home (seeing as how I live about 5 minutes away from it!)

S

im pretty sure there were a few mugs left! contact nick i assume? it was a blast! great to get to meet alls you alls in person. the work looked awesome! it was a true honor being in a show like this! thx to all who supported!
'i try to be a good finknik, but its hard' dont like sandals or sweaters??

B

any1 find a pickled brain at the Pink Elephant? i seem to have lost mine

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 15, 2008 12:29 AM

Really nice art. Needs better lighting, especially on Rob Hammel's black velvets. The show was planned far enough in advance, it seems the gallery could've been a bit better organized for opening night. Great getting to see Brad Tikishark and Hassan Headhunter all the way from Hawaii and Florida and nice meeting Lake Surfer. GROG glad you guys flew out for the show. Where the hell was Derek Yaniger?

Had a great time at the show. Even though the gallery itself seemed like it was ill-prepared, the art was amazing. Seeing everyone's stuff up close was cool. The details, the colors and the textures are far beyond what can be seen on the internet. It was a blast getting to hang with all the folks at the Pink Elephant. I may have stepped on Toe's brain on the way out. Great bunch of very down to earth people. Thanks to all for a fun night. Can't wait for the next one.
Cheers.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 173 replies