Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Mag's Tiki Island-Planet Rooth Closing Show October 11th

Pages: 1 2 3 4 173 replies

K

In Wildsville Man's pictures......seriously was that 2 paintings sitting on the floor??????

LT

On 2008-09-19 15:25, kinikilu wrote:
In Wildsville Man's pictures......seriously was that 2 paintings sitting on the floor??????

I noticed that too. The people that run that gallery...

On 2008-09-19 16:36, LOL Tiki wrote:

I'm only not using all-caps profanity because I'm trying to seem professional.

Yes they were on the floor,and not to add insulate to injury but I had to pull them out from behind the chair to get a picture. I got to the gallery on Tuesday night after having a drink with Nick at the Pink Elephant around 10p.m. and nothing was priced still.....I asked the owner the price on two pieces and he couldn't tell me what they sell for.....If you look at the price list behind Dougs AWESOME original you will see that it is also incomplete. The owner was working in back on his own art with no indications that he would be pricing anything.

This Photo reminds me of a ROBB HAMEL Black velvet

Let that Freaky Tiki Flag Fly,

wildsville man

Rory Snyder (A.K.A. Wildsville-man)

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-09-20 03:29 ]

Thanks for posting these photos guys! (Lookin' sharp in that shirt Tiki Al!) :wink: So sad I had to miss the good times. Nice work putting this on Nick, it looks like it was a blast!

[ Edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2008-09-22 10:47 ]

S
squid posted on Tue, Sep 23, 2008 7:25 PM

On 2008-09-19 19:10, Robb Hamel wrote:

On 2008-09-19 16:36, LOL Tiki wrote:

I'm only not using all-caps profanity because I'm trying to seem professional.

Professional, as in what the "gallery" is not?

N

Hi everyone,

The closing show for Tiki Island Lands on Planet Rooth is October 11th. It is also a Ray-At-Night event which should bring a good crowd. The show starts at 6pm (I will make sure that the gallery honors this time). Still some great deals on some incredible art. Hope to see you there. Drinks at Bar Pink later.

Nick

S
squid posted on Thu, Sep 25, 2008 3:44 PM

Count me in. You buying the drinks? :)

N

Squid,

Your first drink is on me.

Nick

I missed the opening, but I'll be able to make this one! I'd better, considering I live about 6 minutes away.

I'm goin!
and I'm bringin a few pitchforks and torches!
:lol:

S

Stopped by the gallery (Saturday 9/27) today at about 4:15 PM. Loved the show and what I saw, but have to say, customer service, or even acknowledgment, was non-existent. I was the only one in the gallery show room, and when I poked my head in to the back work room (which was a space actually larger than the gallery itself) there was someone there on the phone but when I said 'hello' he didn't respond. As I was looking at the show over the next ten minutes or so two guys came in and walked straight to the back: didn't even acknowledge that I was there even though I was the only one in the show room. At the same time, there was a bicycle parked in the gallery that prevented me from getting a close look at some of the images. There was a little stand outside the door indicating the gallery was open, but you wouldn't know it from the service and attention I didn't receive. To the artists involved, your work looked wonderful. It's a shame the gallery wasn't run a bit more professionally.

Sorry I won't make the closing show. Had a LOT of fun hanging with the Tiki Tribe - the Pink Elephant was Kool.

BUMP!
Closing Reception THIS Saturday!
Come on down and get your retinas fried!
Squids and I will be there
and probably some real artists as well!
:)

For anyone who wants to make it a two-event-day, this will be going on from noon to 5p, same day, in PB. We'll be closing this up and heading to Planet Rooth afterwards. I'm hoping to see some yay-hoo, up on the roof, yelling obscenities through a PA. It will be nice not to be the most annoying guy around, for once!

M
mieko posted on Tue, Oct 7, 2008 4:58 PM

Looking forward to checking this out, I was really bummed to miss the opening!

Mieko!
bring my pendant!
and a Hug!
Thanks!
:)

BUMP!
2 MORE DAYS!

TT

On 2008-10-06 22:53, Billy the Crud wrote:

It will be nice not to be the most annoying guy around, for once!

ummmmmm... hate to burst your bubble billy but I won't be able to attend so unfortunately for you...

You WILL be the most annoying guy around... sorry.. but certainly embrace the title..

TONIGHT!
GO!
COME ON!
i don't wanna drive all the way down with Squid
and see nobody there!
AND the truck is full folks!
I can't take Anyone else's pieces home...
suffer...

N

A lot of incredible art is still available!! Come on down and bring a piece or two home. See you tonight.

R

well I was planning on going tonight.... but weeg decides to bail on me and not even tell me.
typical.

hope someone takes pictures....have fun everyone....

On 2008-10-09 17:16, Tiki Trav wrote:

On 2008-10-06 22:53, Billy the Crud wrote:

It will be nice not to be the most annoying guy around, for once!

ummmmmm... hate to burst your bubble billy but I won't be able to attend so unfortunately for you...

You WILL be the most annoying guy around... sorry.. but certainly embrace the title..

I was too exhausted, man. I had a drink, said hi to Grog, and went home. Wasn't able to embrace anything but the idea of laying on my couch. Good to seeya, Grog!

A big Mahalo to all of the artists who exhibited in the show, to everyone who came by and to Planet Rooth for hosting the 2nd installment of Tiki Island.

Nick

Thanks Nick, this was an incredible opportunity for a newer artist such as myself. I'm thrilled to have been on the team with so many coolass artists.

Mucho thanks, everyone.

S
squid posted on Sun, Oct 12, 2008 5:51 PM

Thanks for the drink, Nick! A man of your word for sure. Nice to meet you LOL! Got a chance to check out the other galleries in the neighborhood. This is a great little gallery area and I would recommend hitting it regardless of whether there's a Tiki art show or not.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2008 9:06 AM

You like all the thrift stores nearby.

Ernie's right!
Some great thrift Store finds indeed!
Still bumming nobody bought that poodle mug!
Thanks Nick and Squid and GROG and Nick and Michelle and Sleestak and LOL and Mieko and hubby and Hassan and Nicky and Hank/Eric who we missed!
Despite the lack of TC crew around, I think the show may have inspired a few people into the fold.....
great show/Great art/Cool people!!!!
worth the drive!
Thanks to Nick especially,for organizing and stressing and really giving his all
for the tiki crew! You Rock!

Aloha, unfortunately we got there early and didn't see too many people we recognized but it was nice talking to who ever we did know. Thanks for all the work Nick.

Interesting unrelated fact; years ago just around the corner from where the gallery is there used to be an old school Tiki bar, the Tapa hut (or room?) long gone now.

Bosko

LT

On 2008-10-12 17:51, squid wrote:
Thanks for the drink, Nick! A man of your word for sure. Nice to meet you LOL! Got a chance to check out the other galleries in the neighborhood. This is a great little gallery area and I would recommend hitting it regardless of whether there's a Tiki art show or not.

Nice meeting you too, and Grog and Miko as well! I looked for you guys on my way out but didn't see ya.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 173 replies