Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hawaii Five-O 2.0

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 248 replies

Damn, Randy, you beat me to the Ventures/Mort Stevens reply.

good one man,

Jeff(btd)

B

I just watched a Five-0 episode yesterday (hadn't watched since I was a kid) and was cracking up at the stilted acting! This was about a group of peacenicks who go to confront a General and one of their own gets killed. Funny how it was so obvious who the "bad guy" was from the outset! I like a mystery that makes me guess just a little bit longer than the first 10 minutes! Fun to watch - don't know about that new line-up though. Isn't that gal from the newer Battlestar Galactica?

On 2010-05-18 20:28, aquarj wrote:
The Five-O theme is not a Ventures' original. The original score used in the show is composed by Morton Stevens and played by the CBS orchestra. The Ventures made a record covering the song, which sold very well. (That's NOT a criticism. They did an outstanding cover - so much that it's more often associated with them than the real original.) Also BTW, Morton Stevens appears in at least one episode.

I agree with every single point that ErichTroudt made earlier on this thread. Unless there's some unprecedented break with Hollywood's recent baffling trend of remakes-in-name-only, this will almost certainly have nothing to do with the Five-O that some of us love. A look at the cast screams out "a new take", in a way that brings us back to the question of why they're even calling it Five-O. I think a spoof would be even worse in the cloying way such things are done these days. But why not just make a unique, new, interesting crime series set in Hawaii? Someone's gotta have an original creative idea!

As a fan of the original, I'd disagree with some of the comments here. I think the youth culture in Hawaii is often presented in a sympathetic light. There are bad guys from the youth culture, but also from every other walk of life - businessmen to bums, locals to foreigners, cops to mobsters, parents to kids. It's always about the individuals who are greedy, reckless, or corrupt. And when a hippie kid is the bad guy, the show often bends over backwards to trace their corruption to parents or other figures - a much more sympathetic treatment than the ruthless business crooks typically ever get. Even the "counter culture" causes are often presented with some sympathy, to a point just short of when crime is involved.

But, yes, in some ways the characters from the original could be called caricatures. All the same, they still seem much more real to me than most characters in modern crime shows like CSI. Those are mostly caricatures of the tanned "hard body" Hollywood actor look, and they're totally unbelievable as crime lab detectives (at least, unbelievable when the WHOLE staff looks like that). Sure, McGarrett has his suits and bandanas and hair, but with all that he still seems to fit with the elements around him, which include many local actors and even Chin Ho, who was actually a real cop before.

And one more thing - tikis and such actually appear pretty regularly in the show. Every scene in the governor's office, there they are on his desk set. But lots of other scenes too, even sometimes part of the plot. Maybe we could at least hope for 2.0 to toss in a tiki now and then, although sadly I doubt I'll be watching.

-Randy

Randy - Thanks for that clarrification. I never knew. I am familiar with Mort Stevens (I won't explain that one). Anyway, I normally read my liner notes, but I never read anything on my Versatones (i.e. The Ventures) Hawaii Five-O album regarding the author of this tune being a non-Venture. I learned something new today. The point of my message: I dig the integrity of the original score and I would hate to see someone do some modern variation of this tune.

Agreed. I love the original and am slowly gathering the entire series on DVD.

In a way, the cops are all portrayed as they are in Dragnet- stoic, fearless, all-business, and uncorruptible. The department is a smooth machine that methodically gets the perp with little, if any, infighting, self-doubt, violations, or major mistakes. All the while, the rest of society is flawed, clueless, and in perpetual need of fatherly guidance. It probably was not until Police Story that cops started to be shown as more human.

Anyway, the show was an over the top classic. Great plots and supporting characters.

One of the elements I enjoyed about H-50 was the Spy episodes with Wo Fat & CIA stories
which started the show and was peppered threw out the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AGJvNisksI

CBS "Hawaii Five-0" Fall 2010 Behind The Scenes Preview

[ Edited by: TraderJohn 2010-05-19 22:45 ]

Opening Credits & Theme song for the new "Hawaii 5-0"

http://video.hollywoodreporter.com/services/player/bcpid6555681001?bctid=86684592001

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-05-20 14:09 ]

I'll give this show a try. I hope it's good. If not, I hope there's a lot of bikini scenes.

You know, the last time I was in Hawaii I saw all KINDS of hard crime like that! LOL Yeah, it's just for fun and it looks cute - I'll give it a shot.

T

The VENTURES recording of Mort Stevens Theme from Hawaii Five O was a big factor in pushing up the ratings for the TV show & was a 2nd coming for the group in record sales/interest. It remains along with Walk Don't Run their two most famous single recordings. At the time the group was Don Wilson, Bob Bogle, Jerry McGee & Mel Taylor (Nokie Edwards had left the group for a period)

Thortiki

On 2010-05-20 10:53, beadtiki wrote:
You know, the last time I was in Hawaii I saw all KINDS of hard crime like that! LOL Yeah, it's just for fun and it looks cute - I'll give it a shot.

I used to live on Oahu (Waikiki), and i had a neighbor who lived across the hall in my building who was in her mid 50's, i would categorize her as going through some type of mid-life crisis, now a days maybe she would be called a "cougar". Anyways she always had teenagers at her place, probably smoking da pakalolo, but i just thought whatevahs to each is own. She went on vacation a couple of times and asked me to grab her paper that was delivered in front of her door and like a good neighbor i said no problem. So months later i went and rented a movie one Sunday evening and upon returning to my building i encountered two of my neighbors friends who i had talked to before that seemed like solid people and they were asking if i had seen or talked to my neighbor. I said no but now that you mention it she has a few papers in front of her door did she go on vacation. They said no. Huh that's weird.
I lived in a pretty secure building where you needed a key to get into the lobby and a key once you were in the elevator to get to your floor, so they asked if i would give them a lift up to check on her. I said ya no problem. So we got to our floor and we were walking down the long hall towards her place and her friend jokingly (in bad taste) said she's dead i can smell her. I kinda muttered something like ah that's messed up. So we get to her door and knocked and there's no answer, her friend turns the knob on the door and its unlocked. We all kind of paused and looked at each other before opening it. When he does open the door the place is completely ransacked. The t.v. was on mute her cats were hissing at us and we smelled something foul. I had a sick feeling in my stomach and her friend said come in with me. I'm kinda frozen, buggin out a little and he walks towards her bedroom and I'm taking these baby steps toward him and he just turns around and says lets get out of here shes dead! What what??? She was under a pile of clothes. We call the police and like an episode of Hawaii 5-0 they come and use my apartment as their head quarters for the investigation. We see big flashes from in her apartment as they take pictures and comb the crime scene. News stations were calling my apartment asking what was going on up there and i would just hang up on them. Well it turns out one of her teenager friends robbed her and stabbed her to death with a steak knife. They even recovered the knife in the Ala Wai, and convicted the 17 year old as an adult. It happened on a Friday night and we discovered her on that Sunday. Some of my buddies and myself were home that Friday night drinking some Primos and playing cards, with the music going and we didn't hear anything. I'm talking like 30 feet from where the murder occurred. So ya there is sometimes trouble in paradise, ive witnessed that first hand. Hope i didn't derail to much but Hawaii has plenty of stories like this to make episodes about!

Mongoloid that is a hell of story .I am sure that image will stick with you forever.
Saw this on Yahoo.Based on the several names of the actors being used, I believe
it's already been miss casted.We all know nothing can ever replace the original or
Jack Lord .I believe this is just another sign that Hollywood has run out of new ideas.
Aloha -Trader Bill

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/first-look-cbs-reboots-hawaii-fiveo--1259

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2010-05-22 00:26 ]

Mongoloid - how horrible for you! That kind of thing is one of my worst nightmares. Sorry you had to witness that.

I realize paradise is not always "paradise" but regarding the NEW Five-0 I was just snickering about all the big guns and explosions (not including the volcano!) As I recall of the OLD Five-0 it was all pretty down-to-earth stuff; guns, car chases, smuggling, etc. - more like what's really going on out there (outside of the Mexican border territories).

I took a look at the article on Yahoo ("CBS Reboots Hawaii 5-0"). While I like the video montage of the new opening sequence (although the split-second shifting from scene to scene gives me a bit of a headache) the music needs to be drastically changed. I've heard the Hawaii 5-0 theme performed live, and I can tell you that it was not heavy on the guitar. Yes, the Ventures have their version and I'm not knocking it at all, but what I heard emphasized keyboards, horns and drums. It was so good, it gave me goosebumps. To me, this new sequence sounds like a teenage wannabe messing with a guitar in his family's garage.

T

UGH...Good GOD is that music A W F U L !!!!

man, Let me get my hands on this !

Maybe I'll do a version it just to do it. This one is just bad.

TM

On 2010-05-21 13:34, tikiyaki wrote:
UGH...Good GOD is that music A W F U L !!!!

man, Let me get my hands on this !

Maybe I'll do a version it just to do it. This one is just bad.

If ever a song needed a Jim Bacchi makeover, THAT would be it! They just totally butchered it.

Note to Hollywood: There are OTHER musicans out there besides some of the hacks you are hiring!

it does have a very old 90210 theme sound to it doesn't it?

V

The music is bad - but the COMPLETELY out-of-place terminator meets BSG/Mission Impossible computer display nonsense graphics are what really kill me. Ick! What is that stuff doing there?

From a previous post -
Opening Credits & Theme song for the new "Hawaii 5-0"

http://video.hollywoodreporter.com/services/player/bcpid6555681001?bctid=86684592001

Some people don't get it the way "we" do. The look of this piece is similar to a piece I made about 10 years ago for snowboarding - Graphics wise - I'll try to post it on you tube asap and post link here.

link - (about 2 mins in) audio had to change due to youtube restrictions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zluFboW2T7U

I'm still interested to see how long the show lasts...

[ Edited by: sneakyjack 2010-05-22 11:11 ]

Wow Mongoloid that is scary!!! Maybe they can simulate your experience in an episode. :-0

I am not betting any clams on the remake...might just be another Baywatch...in which case there will be bikinis...and maybe some surfers.

B

On 2010-05-21 19:02, VampiressRN wrote:
Wow Mongoloid that is scary!!! Maybe they can simulate your experience in an episode. :-0

I am not betting any clams on the remake...might just be another Baywatch...in which case there will be bikinis...and maybe some surfers.

Don't forget the car chases and explosions! The absolute recipe for today's television - girls, guns and cars (chases or blowing up) - throw in a "regular" looking gal and/or guy just to be PC and then copy every tv show that's come before it.

Why can't TV and movies come up with something ORIGINAL? Are Americans so brain-dead these days that Hollywood, et al believe we'll just accept it? Since I got rid of my cable and have been reduced to "regular" tv I realized I wasn't missing ANYthing and now if I want to watch a leave-your-brain-at-the-door show I just watch it on-line. I am, however, being "forced" to watch the ENTIRE Babylon 5 series AGAIN due to lack of entertainment (that being my husband flicking through all the channels KNOWING there's nothing on) and his fanatic love of the show. I hope those damn tapes wear out soon!

Personally, I'll watch anything that features Hawaii. Hell, the wife and I sat through "Gidget Goes Hawaiian" last week just to get a look at Waikiki circa 1961. I think some folks may be too hard on the show based on the music and casting. Hollywood is about profit, not (unfortunately)about satisfying hardcore tikiphiles. Tinsel Town almost always follows the example of previous successes. In this case that's "24" and "CSI". So, yeah, we're going to see a lot of high tech and action....it goes with the territory. The upside is they are shooting on location and might even feature some of the revered tiki watering holes discussed in these forums.....which can only help keep their doors open, which is a good thing.

Also, as anyone who has been to Oahu can attest, the Hawaii of Jack Lord's era is not the Hawaii of today. Waikiki is turning into the Rodeo Drive of the Polynesian. The slow paced vibe of the original just wouldn't work anymore. And lastly, any show that features Grace Parks in a bikini kicking arse get's 2 thumbs up from me. When it's time for the premiere, I plan on making a couple of Mai Tais, BBQ up some ribs and enjoy the show......including the bad music and cheese factor!

[ Edited by: Donnabeach 2010-07-03 12:27 ]

TM

On 2010-05-21 17:19, Bora Boris wrote:
it does have a very old 90210 theme sound to it doesn't it?

Totally! I was thinking the same thing!

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 23, 2010 2:30 PM

It will be up against "Human Target" and GROG like that show.

Well it has been said over and over...we pay a ridiculous amount of money to watch krap on TV. I too watch shows sometimes just for the tropical ambiance...not because it is a good show. Here are some of my favorites...I missed a lot in the 60s though as my parents only got about 6 channels. I can still watch these shows over and over today.

BACKDROPS
~San Diego = remember Silk Stalkings with Rob Estes & Mitzi Kapture, it went downhill after those two left, but loved trying to identify the locations, since that is my home town...the show was pretty good early on.
~San Diego = then there was yummy Lorenzo Lamas in Renegade who was better to look at than the scenery, but they did capture a lot of the east county in this show.
~Simon & Simon = where was their house...Pacific or Mission Beach...or?
~Florida = the infamous Miami Vice...some eye-candy for the girls again and my favorite episode was with Ted Nugent...but the beach scenes with the boat chases and that aqua water and the palms waving in the wind...sigh...great cars too.
~Florida = CSI Miami...I hate David Caruso but the rest of the cast was OK...but great houses and beautiful shots of Miami and the water.
~Florida = Flipper...well really, who wouldn't want a dolphin as a friend.
~Hawaii = well of course 5.0...just beautiful scenery all over the island.
~Hawaii = Magnum PI...I never cared for Tom Selleck early on, but eventually liked the show...great car and I always wished I had the ability to walk out my backyard and take a nice little swim in a Hawaiian cove.

M
molo posted on Tue, Jun 1, 2010 5:43 PM

On 2010-05-18 20:28, aquarj wrote:
The Five-O theme is not a Ventures' original. The original score used in the show is composed by Morton Stevens and played by the CBS orchestra. The Ventures made a record covering the song, which sold very well. (That's NOT a criticism. They did an outstanding cover - so much that it's more often associated with them than the real original.)

The Ventures cover, which followed on the heels of the Mort Stevens' original, also played a big part in the early success of the show. It was their recording that caught the attention of the public at large when it hit the airwaves, which helped increase awareness of the new series (which was having trouble competing head to head with the popular comedy show 'Rowin & Martin's Laugh-In' at that time). So it could be stated that both helped each other instrumentally.

On 2010-05-20 14:52, Thortiki wrote:
The VENTURES recording of Mort Stevens Theme from Hawaii Five O was a big factor in pushing up the ratings for the TV show & was a 2nd coming for the group in record sales/interest. It remains along with Walk Don't Run their two most famous single recordings. At the time the group was Don Wilson, Bob Bogle, Jerry McGee & Mel Taylor (Nokie Edwards had left the group for a period)

Exactly right, with one exception. When the Ventures recorded their take of 'Hawaii Five-O' in the spring of 1968, Gerry McGee had yet to join the band. So the debate rages on: Either sessions ace Tommy Tedesco performed the lead lick, or Nokie Edwards - or both (via overdub)! As things stand, both have laid their claims. The group's record label didn't release this single until after the TV series had launched later in the year, which came in September of '68. For that reason, it didn't peak on the charts until roughly a year after it was recorded.

Now if you can come up with a definitive source that pinpoints without question who the true lead axe was for that single, I'd love to see it. As it is, much of the confusion stems from the fact that Nokie Edwards departed the band shortly after the song was recorded. By then the Ventures were on a long but steady decline in popularity in the States. It doesn't help matters that their Hawaii Five-O LP, which the band recorded more than a half year later and released in the spring of 1969, featured Gerry McGee on lead guitar on all but the title tack (the hit single, as recorded the previous spring but currently riding on the charts).

In any case, I don't believe you will find GM claiming to have played on the Venture's HF-O hit (studio) single anywhere, the same track that reprises on their subsequent HF-O album.

[ Edited by: molo 2010-06-01 18:20 ]

On 2010-05-23 20:33, VampiressRN wrote:
Well it has been said over and over...we pay a ridiculous amount of money to watch krap on TV. I too watch shows sometimes just for the tropical ambiance...not because it is a good show. Here are some of my favorites...I missed a lot in the 60s though as my parents only got about 6 channels. I can still watch these shows over and over today.

BACKDROPS

~Florida = CSI Miami...I hate David Caruso but the rest of the cast was OK...but great houses and beautiful shots of Miami and the water.

Hate to break it to ya, Vamp, but my beloved hometown of Long Beach, CA fills in for Miami on that particular show. It is quite beautiful though isn't it? :)

Jason,I always get a laugh when I see the Bird Sanctuary just north of Don the Beachcomber's as a stand in for the Florida swamps.

M

Dexters another show they film in Long Beach faking out the viewers like its Florida. Im on to their trickery. They will show an aerial shot from a helicopter of actual Florida scenery, to condition your brain to think thats the location of the show, then next thing you know they are at Alfredo's off Shoreline where the Long Beach Grand Prix happens. No gators over there! Smoke and mirrors!

B

In the same vein - Vancouver BC is the setting for almost EVERY "Seattle" based location! Sometimes they don't even try to hide that they're in BC - what's that tower up there? Always a bad stand-in for the Space Noodle!

I'm in the process of turning my living room into a Hawaiian oasis since I can't get there in person these days - another poor "stand-in" for the real thing but I can dream! The attached dining room in the back half is my Tiki Bar and thought it would be appropriate to call my home the Mullet House - Business in the front - party in the back! :)

New 4 minute trailer,this will give you a taste of the shows tone & characters.

http://video.hollywoodreporter.com/services/player/bcpid6555681001?bctid=89563714001

J

On 2010-06-03 01:15, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
New 4 minute trailer,this will give you a taste of the shows tone & characters.

http://video.hollywoodreporter.com/services/player/bcpid6555681001?bctid=89563714001

Thanks for the warning...

Its like a 21st century spoof of the original.

Wow! I actually think it looks pretty good.

T

Well,

The characters are nothing like the originals.
Of course, they made Dan-o and McGarrett HATE each other, so the tension will be more "interesting". (A La Stasky and Hutch, the movie version, which I DID enjoy) So, "gee, let's make them hate each other, but be stuck with each other....THAT would be different"...not.
Chin Ho, is , of course, younger, thinner and better looking, and they replaced Kono with a hot chick...
Predictable on all counts.
BUT, the guy playing Dan-O is funny, and they're giving Dan-O a more wisecracking, sarcastic makeover, which might be ok.

Unfortunately, the colorful clothing will be missing, as well as the great PolyPop bars and restaurants they used to bust people in...it will be a far less fun show to watch.
Still, I'll watch it, if nothing more than for the shots of Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Donnabeach 2010-07-03 12:31 ]

M
molo posted on Fri, Jun 11, 2010 3:34 PM

On 2010-06-11 11:13, Donnabeach wrote:
The Ventures cover of the original Five-0 theme might have done alot for the Ventures, but it was moving the show to a later time slot that ultimately improved its ratings. Remember, it was a gritty cop show at that time and not necessarily family friendly viewing.

No doubt this helped instrumentally to boot, but it was the producer of the show, Leonard Freeman, who is on record as saying: "The value of a great one minute theme to any television series is inestimable." He had come to recognize this basic tenet when he did his prior show Route 66 with its memorable 'Get Your Kicks..' opening theme. Being that Freeman was aware of Morton Stevens' talent in this field, he contacted him to create a little musical magic, both to grab viewers' attention and set a fitting prelude for the show.

We know the end of the story - many call it THE most recognizable television theme ever produced.

[ Edited by: Donnabeach 2010-07-03 12:35 ]

M
molo posted on Fri, Jun 11, 2010 4:53 PM

On 2010-06-11 15:52, Donnabeach wrote:
Correct Molo. There were alot of elements that made the show popular and the Mort Stevens theme was certainly one of the biggns'. But to say the Ventures cover played a big part in the early success of the show is a bit of a stretch. And I am a Ventures fan too. :)

Oh but it did, and you're selling their impact on the show short. I lived on the isles at that time and can recall the kind of airplay the Ventures received by way of it [shades of what the Rascals experienced with "My Hawaii" around that same time, to the point of it becoming a chart topping hit on the islands]. As the story goes, CBS started running radio promos but without any background music. Then a Hawaiian radio DJ decided to use The Ventures' recording behind the ads. In no time, listeners began calling the station to find out who was playing the Five-0 theme they were hearing, which in turn started the wheels rolling for it to ultimately climb to #4 on the singles charts -nationwide- by April 1969.

This is over and beyond what the Mort Stevens' theme was contributing by way of weekly impact. It goes without saying the two remain in many ways inextricably linked (or more accurately, hopelessly intertwined). To this day many consider the two to be one, and even fewer know the exact differentiation.

With that said, I don't doubt that repositioning the show had an impact every bit as great. Competing against Rowan & Martin would have been rough at the time, since that show had already caught on.

Edit PS. I should clarify from earlier that Freeman wrote episodes for Route 66, but just prior to Hawaii Five-0 produced Hang "em High starring Clint Eastwood, which included a memorable theme by Dominic Frontiere. Freeman was also a producer for The Untouchables TV series during the early 60's, with theme music performed by bandleader Nelson Riddle.

[ Edited by: molo 2010-06-11 16:57 ]

[ Edited by: Donnabeach 2010-07-03 12:35 ]

M
molo posted on Sat, Jun 12, 2010 7:27 PM

On 2010-06-11 22:36, Donnabeach wrote:
You are giving the theme far more credit, than the cast, Jack Lord's impact, the edgy script writing dealing with topics of the day, etc, etc.

No, I'm giving it its due, nothing more, nothing less. And that opening theme had impact. In spades.

What I think you're losing sight of is what exactly I'm referring to: what impacted and contributed toward the show's gaining a wider base early on, not what made the show outright (in all its splendid glory). It seems to me you're reading too much into what I'm stating. The things you've pointed to, likewise those which I have, are not mutually exclusive or negating. Where we differ comes down to the degree of impact of the opening theme (per Mort Stevens, with The Ventures pulling up the rear), not the gamut of variables involved -- of which there were many, all lending towards the show's ultimate success.

It was surveyed back in the day that when folks had finally put the kids to bed, they could wind down and watch five-0 because of it's new later time slot and that's truly when it took off. Timing is everything, and even an awesome theme can't save you from that. Aloha :)

That's every bit as simplistic a notion as the one you're dismissing re the theme prelude. I was still young back when the show first aired, and my parents didn't feel the need to scoot me off to bed. Besides, not every American household is laden with impressionable youngins. Beyond that, the show always ran in prime time hours between 8PM and 10 PM, depending on area and era. H5-0 was neither R or X rated. Gritty and sometimes edgy, sure. But it could meander towards the cornballish too, in sometimes equal parts (predicative on the script of course, and more so as time went on).

In any case, its early viewing adoption did not hinge around a simple time slot adjustment alone imo, a la moving up to a later night position (though I agree it helped). Timing may count, but that alone cannot account for everything. No more than I would say the opening theme sequence, and subsequent chart action by the Ventures, accounts for the show's early success alone -- only that it created a big and - uh hum - well timed splash. [er, ok, maybe you have a point about timing after all :P]

M
molo posted on Sat, Jun 12, 2010 9:51 PM

Hey I forget to add that if you guys want a real hoot, check out the Venture's Beethoven Five-Oh! from their album Wild Again: The Ventures Play Heavy Hitters released circa 1996. Here they return full force to what they do best -- that classic signature sound of driving guitars and pounding drums. Lead licks are shared by Gerry McGee and the late great Bob Bogle. There's also some real foot-tappers in Quicksilver (William Tell Overture), The James Bond Theme and their spiff Rock Concerto In A Minor. Bonus tracks focus on their surf-n-sea side, including a selection of live takes. It's all good. :D

[ Edited by: Donnabeach 2010-07-03 12:27 ]

B

Perhaps this thread should be renamed The Ventures Thread!

I did see a regular tv commercial for the new H50 show - they're already promoting it for fall! Sheesh - let's have a chance at enjoying the summer before we start thinking about fall!

M
molo posted on Mon, Jun 14, 2010 4:18 AM

On 2010-06-13 15:58, beadtiki wrote:
Perhaps this thread should be renamed The Ventures Thread!

Well forums are all about trivia (and the trivial), so let us lift our glasses and plow forth. Besides, you don't really think H5O 2.0 bests talking about the real thing (er, 1.0), do you? Same goes for the Ventures -- but that's a given. :P

Now as for you Auntie Tutu...

On 2010-06-13 02:10, Donnabeach wrote:
Aloha again Molo, If I didn't know any better I'd think I was talkin' to one of the Ventures. And I really hate to correct such a lovely band. But if it's schooling you need...

Eh no be like dat sistah! But since I'm back in class, uh halau wid da kumu (weep), I shall refer to you henceforth as Auntie or Tutu - or both. :D

First, the theme was played plenty Hawaii and yes it's popularity shot up all over the islands and the mainland. But that rise has been credited to an Island DJ named Aku(real name Hal Lewis)and it was the original he played in 1968, not the Ventures cover you so covet.

"Covet"? Whaa?? You're losing me already.

I remember Akuhead quite well. And yes, he was the DJ behind that creative push, most likely at KGMB at the time, which IIRC was the CBS sister ship under the tutelage of old Cec Heftel. Now mind you I'm recollecting all this from personal memory, plus certain stories I heard over the years, and no doubt a thing or two I've run across in print or the net along the way. It's all one mesh now and prone to inaccuracy, particularly by way of smaller details, but alas aren't just about all memories?

My recollection was that it was the Ventures backing the commercials since the sound seemed more guitar oriented than that of the CBS orchestra version, but if you have a definitive source to cite, let me see it.

Second, Rowan/Martin was on Monday nights, so that point is still mute.

Auntie, surely you know know that there's a difference between mute and moot, no? Remember you put me back in class, so set a good example or you get me all da kine mixed up. Now I have no way of checking this, my recollection was that it was M&R Laugh-in that was creating the heat. But I'll gladly give you this one if you have a 60's TV guide, or perhaps some site on the net that provides unassailable details.

Five-0 aired Thursdays at 8pm-opposite "The Flying Nun"&"Bewitched" on ABC. "Daniel Boone" and "Ironside" on NBC and the Five-0 lead-in on CBS? "Blondie"??!!...can you say ratings killer? Five-0 then moves to 10pm Wednesday and crushes the competition...its lead-in(don't Laugh) "Green Acres"!

Well I can tell this can't all be from memory, so you must have some sort of crib or cheat sheet (or site) you're referencing -- but if this was indeed the case, then Bewitched alone could easily have put on the cabash. Wouldn't the original Darren still have been around, the one named York? If so, it was still kicking butt (okole - but with love - for you auntie). That show was quite popular by then, on both the mainland and islands, and for sure it would have had a number of seasons under its belt by '68.

I also recall it was at the earlier time slot for quite a while early on (thru 1968?), but was basically redlining. Now here's another odd thing -- I don't recall it moving up to 10pm back then (on Oahu anyway), more like 9pm. If it really went to 10pm, sheez my folks were pretty cool then, at least during that first season, as I thought 10pm was my turn in time in those days. I know I would have been 13 (14?) when it first aired, so maybe it was 11pm for me already. [Only tv excitement that matched that premier back in those days was the Monkees show when they came out a few years earlier, and of course Batman. Holy Batmobile!! :) ]. Also the islands had this thing called "tape delay" so I'm not sure how perfectly synced islanders are/were with the mainland schedule - but I know it wasn't in "real time" 40 years ago (probably still hasn't changed).

Third,(which relates to the time slot)there is a little something the networks do called "Demographic Analysis" and the most important demo are women between 18-34(many mothers with kids too)
Now maybe you had a late bedtime, but when surveyed, this vital group said that once the kids were in bed, this 10pm time slot was all theirs to escape to the Islands with lush scenery, steel-jawed Jack Lord, suspense, danger, etc. The show didn't stay in the 10pm-11pm time slot for good but it truly gave it the kick it needed.

Well here Tutu is where we disagree. Back in the 60's, such a demographic - especially "women between 18-34 (many mothers with kids too)" - would not have had the importance that it would have say circa the 1980's and beyond, when divorces - and that gender class you're pointing to - became much more numerous and thus important (important = targeted). I knew of NO one where we lived that - based on my classmates + friends - who were not tuning in to catch McGarrett & Co. Then again, maybe it was an island thing [see "My Hawaii" reference from earlier]. So kindly point me to this network demo analysis you keep making reference of, especially as it applied back then and to the show (or wherever you're getting this).

But the ventures theme impact? Not so much.

And here Auntie is where you miss da boat altogether. Beyond hearing it on the radio with my own two ears - do keep in mind Mort Stevens and the CBS orchestra never produced a hit with their own magnificent version - it only stands to reason that Leonard Freeman, Jack Lord and Mort Stevens himself toasted the Ventures every time they heard that cover being splashed all over the radio waves as it climbed to nearly the top of the charts. [in Hawaii it topped the local ones]. How often does ANY struggling TV show get that kind of additional plugging, complete with the kind of super promo that that 1 minute opening sequence (segue) provided on TV? You could only call that manna from heaven (er, manapua from heaven just for you tutu).

Beyond that fortuity, it was a crossover theme, both Stevens original composition and the Ventures cover, meaning it was being aired all over the place, not just per the coconut wireless (J. Akuhead) and KGU (for the MOR folks, c/o Ted Sax et al), but also KPOI and KORL and KKUA [probably KIKI too]. I remember Uncle Tom Moffatt spinning it up repeatedly! [just as I'm sure folks like Steven B. Williams, Michael W. Perry, Jim Peters, Leilani McCoy, etc were too - don't think Lee Baby Simms was around yet :D]. So no auntie, it only stands to reason having a Top Ten radio hit of a new show's musical theme coming out concurrently as it looks to win over new viewers would be considered a godsend in the entertainment world, then AND now.

Now ask yourself, how often does this typically (or ever) happen?

To be clear, I love both versions of the Five-0 theme and fuzzy memory asside, I like your spirit.

Well Tutu, with all respect, you keep saying you love both versions, and maybe you do, but I keep sensing a backhand swipe whenever the Ventures - and their due credit in this regard - gets mentioned. You do realize I was picking up where others left off on this "theme" in this thread, right? That I wasn't the first to cite the Ventures impact in this regard, coupled with the show's eye-grabbing opening segue (with that rivoting monster swell from Waimea or Pipeline, still not 100% sure), not just here at da Tiki but elsewhere also. You did go back and read the entire thread just to check, right? [meaning others must "covet" them likewise, that is, c/o Tiki Central] :o

Understand I'm just having a lil fun with you. Now get back to your band. Aloha

Just like when I was younga Tutu, always by da ear (auwe). As for the Ventures, being a surfer boy, sure I consider them among the classics. The additional "Beethoven Five-O" plug was for obvious and fitting reasons [Five-O [hint hint] a la Beethoven, get it?] But truth be known, I'd take a good number of bands over them -- so don't get me started on the Moody Blues, or Alan Parsons Project, or Fleetwood Mac, or It's A Beautiful Day, or Allman Brothers, or even the Beamer Bros.. well you get my drift [not to overlook memories of the Civic Center, HIC (Clapton + Yvonne Elliman together!), Waikiki Shell, let's add Espinda's Lanai Theater down with da used cars on Kalakaua for good measure he he... shaka + RIP Lippy! ... the Canoe Hut by the airport for after work kaukau with da kine chicken wings and frosty draft ... don't get me going auntie.]

Eh auntie no forget, tutu = kuuipo not tita. Class over, no moh pilikia, promise. Your loving kolohe Molo :)

*Molo reminding one and all, if you can't beat 'em, at least wear 'em out * :D

[ Edited by: Donnabeach 2010-07-03 12:28 ]

M
molo posted on Mon, Jun 14, 2010 7:05 PM

On 2010-06-14 17:52, Donnabeach wrote:
LOL! "Now mind you I'm recollecting all this from personal memory"-molo

At least you admit that your end is all factless rant. (except the mute part :D)

Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen babe. A cave-in is just another word for surrender, don't you know. No crib sheets needed here - it's all upstairs, cuz I was there and lived it. :P

Like I said, I like your spirit!(and the Ventures too) Aloha!

So disappointing a rejoinder after my last parley, but same aloha nui loa to you child (er, tutu)-- only my deliverance had more tact (beyond basic sense). Come back when you're ready to play or do battle, only, be prepared to be challenged. That's what such exchanges are all about.

The Venture Brothers has an awesome theme!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B8Nrw19qEM&feature=related

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 248 replies