Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

When You're Dead- Where Does It Go?

Pages: 1 40 replies

Many TC's are all about the discovery and preservation of tiki culture. Many have acquired a little knowledge and keep the history alive here at Tiki Central.

How about the stuff? Where's your stuff going when you die?

You know-- the mugs, the paintings, the blow fish, the bamboo, the drink books, the post cards, the menus, the wall hangings, etc. Is this stuff going to make its way to the antique malls for the next generation to discover, or going straight to a museum, or do you have family that will treasure it as they keep the memory of you alive?

I'm just wonderin'.

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Oct 6, 2008 3:09 AM

The wife sells it all for top dollar

That's a good point, I think it was briefly brought up here before...but there really is no solution as of yet. Many here should ponder it, some already do. Like what are Bob and Leroy doing with O.A. when they retire? OUR "stuff" is not taken seriously by museums, yet.

So we should start our own museum/foundation/archive. But who's gonna pay for that? I doubt there would be grant money available. I would be happy to engage in such a thing for my retirement, but I would have to be able to live, too.

Giving it to the kids/family will most of the time mean it will be spread in the winds, that happens even with accepted archeological collections, like Miguel Covarrubias' pre-Columbian collection, which is a damn shame.

Apart from a central Tiki history collection entity coming into existence, the problem that any collector of anything worries about is how can the CONTINUED existence of the institution he gives to be guaranteed. Commitment to the subject does not suffice, a solid financial base seems essential.

It's going in the CREMATORIUM with me!!! I don't want my greedy relatives pawing through and disrespectin' my valuable stuff! :lol:

N

I figure I found the majority of my tiki items at yard and estate sales so I see it fitting that when I cash in my chips I should do the same and give the thrill of discovery to the next generation. That's the beauty of death once your gone you don't care.

But SHARING what you think is beautiful with your fellow man, and knowing it will continue to inspire, is also very rewarding. I did it with my books, but a good, comprehensive presentation of the history of Tiki in tangible, right-in-front-of-you form would also be a nice project. The recent Forest Lawn exhibition is a step in the right direction, it is full of beautiful stuff, but it is lacking in context beyond a mere assembly of desirable objects. The evolution, the social and historic connections, the WHY could be nicely demonstrated with the right combination of artifacts. Sophista-Tiki has been thinking about it here on TC, and a central foundation that takes tax deductible donations could be a gathering point for orphaned Tiki collections and a beginning for a museum. That is how classic museums were formed.

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Oct 6, 2008 9:34 AM

Sven, I'm in tune with you.

I feel the feasibility of such a project is within reach, but it may take a couple of decades to realize. I have experienced the ups and downs (pardon the pun!) of another pop-culture topic dear to my heart - the roller coaster.

I'm a member of the American Coaster Enthusiasts. One of the major ACE projects is building a permanent museum dedicated to roller coaster history and artifact display. All of the items in the ACE archive have been donated by members; It is a very impressive and comprehensive collection of original memorabilia ranging from paper items to signage and original park equipment like trains etc. The collection will fill a museum easy, but the cool aspect of the whole deal is the archive which will eventually be made available to members of ACE and the general public alike. All of this hard work has been strictly controlled by volunteers and after fifteen years or so, the museum has gained some corporate sponsorship and the building is near groundbreaking status.

What this represents for TIKI/Polynesian Pop Culture is that dreams do turn to reality thanks to a group of many dedicated individuals. I for one would be honored to be apart of a group that makes the Tiki museum dream a reality.

First step: Establish a non-profit organization dedicated to the history / preservation of existing / archiving the past - of the tiki sub-culture. This will be a daunting task but necessary in my opinion.

I would love to read other opinions on this topic.

Is it feasible to think the ball should get rolling on this museum idea?

On 2008-10-06 09:34, TikiG wrote:

First step: Establish a non-profit organization dedicated to the history / preservation of existing / archiving the past - of the tiki sub-culture. This will be a daunting task but necessary in my opinion.

Ok,...

Tiki Central

Done!

What do we do next?

Buzzy Out!

A

Well, wouldn't a tiki mug make one hell of an urn? Maybe the folks at the Neptune Society can carve out a bit of space? :)

http://www.neptune-society.com/columbarium.shtml

T

On 2008-10-06 06:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
That's a good point, I think it was briefly brought up here before...but there really is no solution as of yet. Many here should ponder it, some already do. Like what are Bob and Leroy doing with O.A. when they retire? OUR "stuff" is not taken seriously by museums, yet.

So we should start our own museum/foundation/archive. But who's gonna pay for that? I doubt there would be grant money available. I would be happy to engage in such a thing for my retirement, but I would have to be able to live, too.

Giving it to the kids/family will most of the time mean it will be spread in the winds, that happens even with accepted archeological collections, like Miguel Covarrubias' pre-Columbian collection, which is a damn shame.

Apart from a central Tiki history collection entity coming into existence, the problem that any collector of anything worries about is how can the CONTINUED existence of the institution he gives to be guaranteed. Commitment to the subject does not suffice, a solid financial base seems essential.

Funny, I've brought this idea up before in here but I'll say it again.

I proposed the idea of a Lodge/Royal Order for this little microcosm of tiki entusiasts. Especially in the Los Angeles area, where there are probably enough tikiphiles to support such a thing. Leasing a space, similar to the various "social clubs" that are in ethnic communities, or like an Elks Lodge, and making it a full on Tiki meeting place.

The only problem is that would involve dues, and organization, but I know I'd pay for a membership so that there is a really grat Tiki Bar style place to go and hang and have events etc. Being that we really don't have too may great tiki places, having the various members all contributing their talents, the place would Look AMAZING.

And you can have a cash bar (the money would go back into the Lodge account) , but if it's deemed a "private institution" the rules and restrictions for these kinds of things can be skated around. Lodge's are a big thing of the past, but they still exist.

Why not have one for tiki ?

Also, the space could be rented out for outside parties and filming (BIG revenue for that in the LA area) to bring in extra income.

That is where you could have various people's collections end up, should they die, move, or just plain run out of room in their homes.

All in agreement say "Aye"

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Oct 6, 2008 10:20 AM

Aye!

Let's keep this idea rolling along while the discussions are hot.

How may I be of service?

..look....everyone knows that kohalacharms has been accumulatiung what happens to be the 21st century version of a tiki collectables "noah's ark"....He probably has almost at least one of every historical tiki item ever made (as opposed to noah's 2 of each) and if he hasn't by now he soon will..that said, i expect (and secretly hope) he will be opening a mueseum dedicated to the history of tiki very soon....so worry not fellow tiki people!!

disclaimer for the serious t.c er....the above statement was meant only in jest and not a word of it is to be taken seriously or as fact

M

I'll tell you where it all goes....

The warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark!

The warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark!

that means that russians will eff with it 20 years later.

My will states that my entire collection be ground down and recast into a giant owl statue.

My vote is for the Tiki Central Museum concept.

I've got a $100 donation and 50 postcards/menus that I'm willing to kick in for starters. The rest of my stuff can be housed in the honorary Sabu the Coconut Boy wing upon my demise.

DC

TD

will there be a WITCO wing?

On 2008-10-06 17:49, TIKI DAVID wrote:
will there be a WITCO wing?

That would be the Sven Kirsten Witco Wing.

DC

T
twitch posted on Mon, Oct 6, 2008 7:21 PM

I plan on being buried in a replica of one of these -

only much, much bigger.
So it will hold all my stuff.
Those wishing to see my stuff are allowed to dig the whole thing up & put it on display somewhere sunny and warm. With the caveat that my corpse be part of the display (great for Halloween!)

Seriously, if the kids that I haven't had yet don't want it, then donating it to one a them aforementioned ideas sounds good, too.

If I go before the beautiful tikihammer I have been told the following:

"It is all going out on the front lawn with a sign that says FREE". She is not kidding. Sometimes it sucks living with a minimalist.

Unfortunately, this doesn't just apply to my tiki collection.

I plan on out living her anyway and my new girlfriend can decide what happens to it when the time comes, although I plan on having my head frozen like dear Uncle Walt!

PTD

UB

On 2008-10-06 02:53, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
When You're Dead- Where Does It Go?

I'm just wonderin'.

So your sayin' we can't take it with us?
Shit!

I am set up with the Neptune Society (burn baby burn), Living Trust (enjoy the bills I leave for everyone), and the Will (my entire lounge goes to my Niece...she asked for it). She said she would like the lounge since she said it would remind her of me...I wonder if she was after all my booze. :D

On 2008-10-06 20:02, Unga Bunga wrote:

So your sayin' we can't take it with us?
Shit!

I don't know about you, but I'm taking it with me!.

well this seems like he perfect chance to suggest that collections be donated to Polynesia Americana Museum of Polynesian Pop. ( still in development) Funding is a HUGE issue!!! I have spent over a year trying to figure out the best way to do this and outside of having an actual building the best scenario is a traveling exhibit so the cream of the crop of all collections could travel around to all the major museums for everyone to bask in its splendor.

https://tikicentral.com/uploads/3734/44e0b79e.jpg

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-10-09 23:16 ]

UB

The price of admission shall be a Tiki mug.

Out here in the sticks our libraries have big public show cases where sometimes collections are displayed. I know there are seriously researched oceanic art exhibits, but these are just guys like you and me putting what they own out there for others to see.

I'm not sure I like the idea of having my collections on display... at least not while I'm alive. I kinda count on no one around here realizing there's this crazy guy buying up all the antique tiki stuff that hits the peddler's shelves. A $5 odd looking mug becomes a $30 collector's item. You know what I mean?

Guess I'm still in the selfish acquisition mode.

Educating ourselves and then others on this history is admirable work. The books by Sven and others may be the most lasting way to accomplish this good work.

As I ponder my mortality, (and I do it more often now-and-days) I've decided I want to be like the ancient Egyptians…Tiki Style.

On some uncharted desert island in the South Pacific, deep in the jungle and perhaps near a volcano, I am going to be put in a vault resembling a large Polynesian hut with two large moai at the entrance. Inside, my entire collection and my body, holding my most valued and cherished mugs. My head will rest on my “Book of Tiki” and “Tiki Quest”. Inside, you will find the bodies of the slaves who built my temple and all the other things I will require in the afterworld...my jewels, my money, my vinyl collection, cans of Ravioli-O’s, some rum.
As an added attraction to those of you who would dare think of entering my eternal sanctuary of slumber, I promise to have plenty of deadly booby traps. Poison darts, huge rolling stones, spears that jart out of the walls, bodies of those brave explorers decaying within…

Then again, this is MY plan…my wife will be heavily relying on Ebay to supplement her income.

F

It would be nice to have a collective space that we could donate relics to.

I for one would donate a bunch of stuff before I was even dead. I have things I can't part with, but don't really have space to properly display either.. I just don't want to sell it off, yknow?

I like the idea of a tiki museum.. especially if run by Sven :wink: hahaha

I had always figured I'd donate it to some museum- that perhaps by the time I was ready to get the check that people would care about tikimugs enough for a museum to display them.

Now I kinda think we'd need to create that museum ourselves.

But it would be WAY BETTER that way!

I can see it now- the Kirsten Institute of Polynesian Pop

we can all be volunteer docents when we're 87

T

"kohalacharms He probably has almost at least one of every historical tiki item ever made"

Heck one would be fine.
The fact that he buys everything that's not crap sucks!!

Two words Beany Babies.
Three words Cabbage Patch Doll.

Heck by the time I get off my tiki stuff it may have the value of
the BC free gas station glasses you see everywhere.
I still love it though!!!

I would go to the kohalacharms museum often as it would be awesome!

On 2008-10-06 10:10, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2008-10-06 06:08, bigbrotiki wrote:

Funny, I've brought this idea up before in here but I'll say it again.

I proposed the idea of a Lodge/Royal Order for this little microcosm of tiki entusiasts. Especially in the Los Angeles area, where there are probably enough tikiphiles to support such a thing. Leasing a space, similar to the various "social clubs" that are in ethnic communities, or like an Elks Lodge, and making it a full on Tiki meeting place.

The only problem is that would involve dues, and organization, but I know I'd pay for a membership so that there is a really grat Tiki Bar style place to go and hang and have events etc. Being that we really don't have too may great tiki places, having the various members all contributing their talents, the place would Look AMAZING.

And you can have a cash bar (the money would go back into the Lodge account) , but if it's deemed a "private institution" the rules and restrictions for these kinds of things can be skated around. Lodge's are a big thing of the past, but they still exist.

Why not have one for tiki ?

Also, the space could be rented out for outside parties and filming (BIG revenue for that in the LA area) to bring in extra income.

That is where you could have various people's collections end up, should they die, move, or just plain run out of room in their homes.

All in agreement say "Aye"

C'mon, Jim, you just want an excuse to wear a fez.

Me too....aye!

T

No, just another excuse to wear some nice vintage Aloha Shirts :)

On 2008-10-08 20:35, fatuhiva wrote:

I like the idea of a tiki museum.. especially if run by Sven :wink: hahaha

I thought he WAS a museum...

No man is an island! But a museum? Perhaps. Pondering that gave me the idea that it would be neat to be displayed in my own museum, maybe as a Maori moko head, my son going "..and here's pops."

Which brings to mind the fact that nowadays the children often do not continue the tradition of their parents, in whatever business. Which is sad, because it is contrary to the idea of tradition, but good, because the kids make a name for themselves. My son has completely different talents than me: He is totally ahead of the class in Math, and digs Chemistry, which I both was really bad at and abhored. And even when a small kid (he just grew 2 inches taller than me!) he never was into accumulating objects, like toy cars, or any toys for that matter. Weird, that guy.

So in my case, I would want my collection to become a permanent public exhibit in some form, somewhere.

S

Actually, I know kohalacharms would support a museum with his collection if it existed. It's that very notion that drives him. A complete collection where you might have an "Islander" display with everything in it.

And you don't have to donate your stuff. How many times do you see items in a museum that are on loan from the collection of some private individual.

I'd love to start a catalog online. Take ooga-mooga to the next level and do some serious archiving of everything. Every location and every item known to be from that location. You put a museum in place and you pick your exhibits. People loan their items. If they want, they give them at death and the museum can display or store or sell them. A duplicate just adds the the museum funds.

I've always said context is everything with art. On a thrift store shelf it's junk, in a museum or the Book of Tiki, it is art. Or, it's a curio. One of the many goofy museums like a breakfast cereal museum or soemthing...

Here's a contrary idea:

Maybe the great stuff that has been collected, researched, cataloged, photographed and discussed here and written about in books should be sent back out to the four corners of the earth. If time shows it has value in history, it will again be collected, researched, etc.

Is it the items we value or the discovery?

That is heretic talk to the collector! :) It is BOTH, of course.

The thrill of the hunt has somewhat waned, with the internet enabling one to find anything, and all those books out...
I repeatedly mentioned that it is hard nowadays to imagine what a non-existing entity Tiki was in the 90s, and how, consequently, exciting and rare it was to find a Tiki object -or even find the name mentioned somewhere. Different from today ...but then again, only for those who are looking, for many folks it still does not exist today.

And even for the seasoned Tiki archeologist new, unseen finds surface from time to time. Yet I was always hesitant to seek absolute completion and perfection (a la kohalacharms?), which might be satisfying initially, but ultimately leave no hope for remaining discoveries, and no room for imagination.

On 2008-10-10 11:43, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Maybe the great stuff that has been collected, researched, cataloged, photographed and discussed here and written about in books should be sent back out to the four corners of the earth. If time shows it has value in history, it will again be collected, researched, etc.

"If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't return, hunt it down and kill it!"

BTW Bongo, which side of this issue are you on? I think you started this thread but you've had several posts that seemed "anti-museum" :P

K

On an interesting related note.....
I'd always planned on willing my Hawaiian record collection (about 2,000 LPs) to the Center For Hawaiian Studies here at the University of Hawaii. A former professor and old friend of mine is on staff there and knew of my plans decades ago.
Recently, I decided I wanted to give it to them now, rather than later. The collection, although I love it, has somehow gotten to be rather a burden & figured it might as well be put to better use than sitting in my house...I mean, you can't really LISTEN to 2,000 records with any regularity and DO anything else.
When I contacted them, they politely declined and said they'd "ask around" to other libraries/institutions, and I've heard no more. Seems very odd to me, one would have thought they'd jump at it, as it's pretty much everything that's been recorded on 12 in LP in Hawaii, plus a lot of mainland and foreign "Hawaiian" material. (And this is not counting my exotica LP collection..:) )
Anyway, although I had never planned on doing so, I guess I'll start checking out selling it either whole or piecemeal. Want to keep it local though, only because there's no way I'm getting involved in shipping hundreds of LPs...ugh.

What about asking DeSoto Brown at the Bishop?

On 2008-10-10 13:38, MadDogMike wrote:

"If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't return, hunt it down and kill it!"

BTW Bongo, which side of this issue are you on? I think you started this thread but you've had several posts that seemed "anti-museum" :P

Well... I started the thread curious what people would say... then, as I like to do, I've prodded around a little... I don't really see this as two sides of an issue and I am certainly not "anti-museum". We are all in different places on the journey. Some of you have amazing collections large and small and I wonder to what degree you are merely sentimental about them or to what degree do you consider your collections important.

I have gathered just a few tokens which decorate my office in a way that I think is kinda interesting. Initially, that was all I was doing but through TC I've learned there is much more than that going on here. I'm discovering how I feel and wondering where I'm headed with this.

OK, just checkin'. Actually it's easy for me to ask the hard questions, I have no collection :(

Pages: 1 40 replies