Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai Kai - Jet Pilot

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

Has anyone come up with a recipe that tastes close to the Mai Kai's Jet Pilot?

D

Good question. All I could find was this on Kaiser Penguin http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/jet-pilot/, probably one you may know already from BB Berry 'Sippin Safari'. I would also like to know the recipes to the Mai Kai Zombie and Mai Tai.

The Mai Kai Jet Pilot is a unique creation of Mario Licudine, and quite different in taste from the Bum's, which has been painstakingly reconstructed according to the research of other recipes of that time. I don't think the Mai Kai version uses cinnamon syrup, and I think it's considerably stronger than the Bum version, but that's my subjective analysis.

On 2008-11-19 08:21, Tonga Tiki wrote:
Has anyone come up with a recipe that tastes close to the Mai Kai's Jet Pilot?

Define "close".................

The Bum's recipe is 'the' recipe as it existed for its introduction to the Mai-Kai menu. It doesn't quite match what you get from the bar today, which depends entirely on which bartender is mixing on the particular night you are there.

A

Has anyone else noticed that the ingredients for Jet Pilot recipe in "Sippin' Safari" are identical to the Zombie Punch, just different measurements?

On 2009-10-21 15:22, arriano wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that the ingredients for Jet Pilot recipe in "Sippin' Safari" are identical to the Zombie Punch, just different measurements?

Yup,

Don's recipe was there for everyone to see. Me thinks some filopenos had some gooood memories.

I prefer the Jet Pilot to the '34 Zombie. I find it just a bit smoother and more balanced. Although I do like the '34 Zombie, its my favorite Zombie recipe. Heads & shoulders above the recipes that use Maraschino Liqueur, such as the Speivak recipe IMHO.

A

I went to the Mai Kai last weekend and had a couple jet pilots...outstanding.

To me the difference with this versus the Beachbum recipe was a distinct taste of honey. Also, I didn't taste the presence of Lemon Hart Rum.

Last night I tried the following recipe with good results:

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz falernum
1/2 oz honey mix
1 tsp cinnamon syrup
1 1/2 oz Bacardi gold rum
1 1/2 oz coruba rum
6 drops Pernod
dash angostura bitters

Anestiki

Anestiki, wow, you're so close. I just tweaked a few ingredients and posted the Jet Pilot as my latest Mai-Kai cocktail review. I have a source that tells me there's no grapefruit, but everything else appears to be correct.

Check out the full story behind the Jet Pilot here:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/07/mai-kai-cocktail-review-jet-pilot-soars-over-its-ancestors-with-flying-colors/

Tried this last night--great job at approximating that special Mai-Kai "thing". The cinnamon and honey compliment each other well; not too sweet at all and impart Donn Beach-level complexity. The Atomic Grog Shrunken Skull and Jet Pilots are now in my rotation.

Mahalo, Kill Devil. I'm glad you're enjoying the recipes. Another one we recently added after much research (and help from Anestiki) is a tribute to the Shark Bite:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/17/mai-kai-cocktail-review-what-makes-the-shark-bite-so-jawesome/#tribute

Although I've been to the Mai Kai many times over the years I've only managed to order from the "Strong" side of the drink menu and have thus missed many of the gems (past & present) you've paid tribute to, so keep up the good work!

On 2011-09-08 06:22, Anestiki wrote:

To me the difference with this versus the Beachbum recipe was a distinct taste of honey. Also, I didn't taste the presence of Lemon Hart Rum.

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz falernum
1/2 oz honey mix
1 tsp cinnamon syrup
1 1/2 oz coruba rum
6 drops Pernod
dash angostura bitters

Anestiki

That sounds like a very tasty version, as soon as my next batch of falernum is ready I'm gonna try it!

As to the Jet Pilot at the Mai Kai.... no grapefruit.

Lime, passion, honey and four kinds of rum with the usual dash of bitters for good measure.

H

Tried the Atomic Grog Mai Kai Jet Pilot. Very nice, loved the honey and Falernum and Pernod flavors with a little touch of cinnamon.

I tried the Atomic Grog version of the Mai Kai Jet Pilot. It is currently my favorite drink. I had a party over the weekend and turned a whole bunch of people onto it. The honey mix makes it very accessible. I used Cruzan Gold and Caruba Dark Rum. I have made Jet Pilots quite a bit using the traditional recipe, but my latest Mai Kai visit pushed me to try their version. Quite frankly I am no fan of grapefruit juice anyway ....gives me a headache even before I've had too many.

It was interesting to see some people's reaction to a complex, quality rum drink. To some...the crappy rum runner at the beach or Rum and Coke is all they have experienced. It sparked the conversation for me to discuss the different tastes and qualities of rums in my inventory. I believe I converted many....

[ Edited by: Tonga Tiki 2012-04-30 16:51 ]

While I've not has a Mai Kai Jet pilot I've made the Bum's/Beachcomber version (the undercover Zombie) quite often with the following substitutions: I use 1.5 oz of dark Jamaican- usually Appleton Estates 12, 3/4oz of Eldorado 12, and 3/4oz of Bacardi 151. I do this because I am unable to get Lemon Hart 151 in my area (But I'm working on it!) and for the drink to be of "Beachcomber" caliber, it needs the demerara flavor and that 151 jolt.
That being said, I've also made quite a few of the Atomic Grog version of the Mai Kai's Jet Pilot, and I use the same rum mix as described above for the same reasons. I also use Absinthe instead of Pernod in both versions. The Atomic Grog version is a drink I enjoy equally with the Beachcomber version - they both have their unique flavor profile and both balance equally on my quality scale.

TT

Your Beachcomber version sounds good. I will utilize some of my stash of LH 151 to try it out..

With Lemon Hart 151 now back in the bars of The Mai-Kai, the Jet Pilot has become turbo-charged ...

The review and tribute recipe are updated accordingly ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/07/mai-kai-cocktail-review-jet-pilot-soars-over-its-ancestors-with-flying-colors/#tribute

Just when we thought we had it down pat, we get a curveball. But it was fortunate that Mai-Kai manager Kern Mattei chose to feature the Jet Pilot in last week's Mai-Kai Mixer flights. We learned much more about the drink and its ingredients. Here's a full recap of the event:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/06/16/cocktail-flights-soar-at-mai-kai-mixer-reveal-revolutionary-use-of-rums/

We found out that indeed it has four rums (as Chip and Andy said) and that they are (Lemon Hart 151, Kohala Bay dark Jamaican, gold Puerto Rican, and light Puerto Rican). Also, the only fresh juice contained in the drink is lime juice. So scratch the OJ.

Back to the drawing board, we came up with a retooled tribute that you can find here:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/07/mai-kai-cocktail-review-jet-pilot-soars-over-its-ancestors-with-flying-colors/#tribute

Just to confuse matters, one more update on the Jet Pilot. I tweaked the latest version and came up with a sweeter, less intense (but still very strong) version I'm calling 3.5 ...

It also features a new substitution suggestion for fassionola, which works very well in this and a few other Mai-Kai cocktails.

Mahalo!

I was able to order Kohala Bay Dark Rum locally. Had to buy a case of it, but it should ensure the ability to replicate my Mai Kai Jet Pilot for quite awhile. It doesn't arrive till next week so that whole Mayan end of the world thing better not happen- or I'm going to be pissed! The same store has been stocking Smith and Cross also. Now if it could only start carrying Lemonhart 151 I would be set forever.

Tonga,

Lemon Hart's Florida distributor is BMC Fine Spirits.

Aloha!

Tonga-- what store???

Total Wine across from Countryside Mall....

thanks, havent noticed at at the Total Wine in tampa yet. next time i'm up there in clearwater (Skyline Chili run maybe) i'll drop by the countryside store...

Regarding Total Wine: They do not carry, nor will they order Lemon Hart 151 - they don't deal with that distributor. I know-I've tried. They will get Kohala Bay and Coruba for you and they normally stock Smith and Cross.

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ Edited by: gentlehangman 2012-12-24 18:48 ]

TT

Well my attempt to get Kohala Bay Dark Rum (Punch Dagger) from Total Wine was a failure. They thought they could order it, but they could not get it and apologized. However I was able to acquire some today, but have been sworn to secrecy. I did not purchase it in
Tampa or online. Follow the clues like I did and maybe you can locate the source...

[ Edited by: Tonga Tiki 2013-04-05 08:40 ]

i think i've seen the Kohala on store shelf somewhere- will advise when i locate.

any flawdy Lemon Hart sources anybody?

HT

A good friend acquired a bottle, but I can't divulge his source. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use the same source. Would love to get one while I'm down for Hukilau.

Guess I'll have to follow the clues...

T

Went to the Mai-Kai last night.Tried the now LH 151 charged Jet Pilot. WOW a great drink has now become an even greater tasting drink. This coupled with the atmosphere of the Mai-Kai & their welcoming staff makes all the difference. Thortiki

HT

I'm determined to get a bottle of two of Kohala Bay when I'm down there for Hukilau. I'm pouring over The Atomic Grog and threads on here for clues...

KD

Folks going down to Hukilau should make it their mission to convince the makers/suppliers of Kohala that they could stand to make some $$$ if they'd just get the word out, yes???

On 2012-02-13 19:12, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2011-09-08 06:22, Anestiki wrote:

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz falernum
1/2 oz honey mix
1 tsp cinnamon syrup
1 1/2 oz coruba rum
6 drops Pernod
dash angostura bitters

Anestiki

That sounds like a very tasty version, as soon as my next batch of falernum is ready I'm gonna try it!

As to the Jet Pilot at the Mai Kai.... no grapefruit.

Lime, passion, honey and four kinds of rum with the usual dash of bitters for good measure.

Chip, seriously? No grapefruit??? And is that passion fruit (juice) or passion fruit syrup?

TT

Lately there has been some inconsistency with the bartenders at the Mai Kai. It just depends what night you go on. That being said when its Friday or Saturday night they are usually right on. There is no grapefruit juice in a proper Jet Pilot. Even with their Zombie there should only be a hint of it (part of a quasi-Don's Mix), but recently I had one there that was overpowering with grapefruit. I am not a fan of grapefruit juice either which is unfortunate. I am now opting for the 151 swizzle which is more like a 1934 Zombie than their namesake.

The Atomic Grog tribute Jet Pilots..both versions are great and what I stick with at home. I brought a liter of it pre-mixed with me to the Hukilau this year. I have a case of the big bottles of Kahula Bay Dark Rum now and that should last quite awhile.

Looking foreward to a great night at the Mai Kai

If anyone needs to know where to find Kohala Bay in South Florida, just send me a private message.

Just tried a Jet Pilot from the Moano/Turnbow recipe book from '63. The first thing I noticed was it called for lemon rather than lime which was unlike any other recipe I've seen. And when comparing it to the Don/Bum recipes which call for light or gold Puerto Rican rum, this one asks for dark. I was stumped on what to use so I went with Coruba on top of the LH151 (instead of Puerto Rican 151) and the Myer's that it specifically called for (perhaps too much Jamaican dark?). All in all, it wasn't a bad drink. Complex flavors, but not a favorite to work into my rotation. I would like to experiment with the Mai Kai/Hayward tributes once I pick up some Smith & Cross since I don't think I can get Kohala Bay around here. Any suggestions on which white and gold PR rums would be best in this if I go the four rums/one fresh juice method?

Mike,

You don't want the white and gold rums competing with the dark and 151 rums, so no need to use anything special. A good, solid mixing rum like Cruzan or Flor de Cana or even Don Q will be fine. The Mai-Kai may even use their well rum, which is just a cheap Cruzan product. The key is the Lemon Hart and the dark Jamaican rum. Coruba or Myers's will work in a pinch until you can find some Smith & Cross (or Kohala Bay).

Aloha!

Thanks for the info. I picked up a bottle of Smith & Cross the other day which thus far I've only tried neat and in a Mai Tai. Looking forward to revisiting the Jet Pilot as you've suggested.

PS - I will likely be in South Florida next month which means mandatory happy hour at the Mai Kai if you and Susan would like to meet up with Chelsea and I. The trip will also give me an opportunity to stock up on Kohala Bay.

[ Edited by: mikehooker 2014-08-15 07:48 ]

Mike, sounds great. Send me the dates via PM, Facebook, e-mail, smoke signal, etc.

Jet Pilot version 4 is now posted. It's a slight tweak from the previous version, but I think it brings the tribute recipe closer in line with what we enjoy at The Mai-Kai ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/07/mai-kai-cocktail-review-jet-pilot-soars-over-its-ancestors-with-flying-colors/

I shall try this tonight and report back.

Alright, I'll preface this with the fact that your 3.5 version is one of my favorite drinks to make at home. I tried the revision and after a couple sips threw in another dash of bitters and a drop of Pernod. I personally like the extra spice and find it gives this drink a better balance, even if the new version is more in line with what the Mai Kai is doing. Glad you're still tinkering though.

Mike, mahalo for the feedback. I figured some of you guys would prefer the spicier version, but some folks like it sweet.

FYI, I also just updated the Zombie.

ET

I don't post too often but just want to say you really outdid yourself with Jet Pilot version #4. Took your advice and substituted Smith & Cross for the Jamaican Dark rum. No access to Kohala Bay.
Used Havana Club for the white and substituted Flor de Cana for the gold Puerto Rican. No Fassionola so just used Fee Brothers Grenadine. Had all other ingredients (thankfully still have half bottle of LH151) . Result was excellent. Actually better than excellent. Beautiful balance of flavour with exactly the right "sting".

[ Edited by: Ebb Tide 2015-01-08 15:48 ]

[ Edited by: Ebb Tide 2015-01-08 15:50 ]

Glad you enjoyed it Ebb Tide. I just recently got my hands on some Havana Club, so I'll have to try that combo.

I ordered some Fassionola from eBay just so I could try this tribute version, and I have to say it was outstanding. I used Bacardi 1909 Ltd Edition, Cruzan Single Barrel, Coruba Dark & some precious LH 151. Nice work.

We just posted a Jet Pilot recipe we tested with great success using Denizen Merchant's Reserve 8 Year on our Rum Mixology blog. http://rummixology.com/jet-pilot-a-tiki-classic Would love to get your feedback on how you think it tastes.

2 oz Denizen Merchant's Reserve Rum
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz cinnamon syrup
1/2 oz falernum
1 dash Angostura bitters
1/8 teaspoon of Pernod
4 oz crushed ice

Combine all ingredients in a blender and flash-blend for 5 seconds. Pour into a Collins glass and garnish with a cherry.

The Mai-Kai Jet Pilot review is updated to include the addition of Hamilton 151 rum, plus an updated tribute recipe (version 4.5 if you're keeping count) ...

Pages: 1 2 47 replies